Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2005, 02:57 PM   #81
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Great post, Kath!

Hate to bother you with this, but we're all following a general agreement to italicize the anakronisms. Folks, is that too much of a bother, or are we okay with it?

One correction, and sorry if my description was poor on this point: the ATM doesn't float in mid-air, it has merely risen from below the surface of the platform, and now stands at floor level, extending to head-height.

That's all for modifications.

I like the idea that one of the Offending Party is actually brand new to Mordor. We could have fun with that.

One more post to follow, perhaps almost immediately, to whet your appetite for what's coming...
Old 11-13-2005, 03:03 PM   #82
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Money & Maps

Coinage & Currency of the Realm

Coins
Maggot..........1....................copper
Spider............2 (tumag)......copper
Goblin............5 maggots.....nickel
Orc................10 maggots....nickel
Crow.............20 maggots....silver
Warg............50 maggots.....silver
Troll.............100 maggots....gold
Wraith............2 trolls...........gold
Balrog.............5 trolls..........gold

Paper Currency & (very rare) coins
Dragon...............10 trolls..........mithril
Double Dragon...20 trolls..........mithril

note: this currency is no good outside Mordor, and must be exchanged at the border to the Gondorian Empire, at the rate of 20 trolls to the (supposedly equivalent) One Elessar of the Realm of Gondor.

And here are a couple websites that you will want to familiarize yourselves with:

BliddyUnnergrind (BU)

....and....

Gawfirsakin-Piblik-Transpit (GPT) System.

2nd of the two shows the chaotic mess at Caer Pairadocks, which is misnomered as Whitehall on this ridiculous map. The blue line is the line of breakers of the Nurnien sea, which has come to be called the Tem, for some unknown and surely equally ridiculous reason. Therefore, anything below that blue line (on the map) doesn't really exist in Mordor, but can be seen vaguely as wraithlike shadows from the shore. So if you try to take the BliddyUnnergrind, or, BU, into that district, you will wind up at the shore, unless you click the heels of your shoes twice, wish really hard, and say "the magic words", then you might actually manage to get there, and drown instead.

By the way, the green spaces on these maps have not (and will not!) be assigned to Mordor, so they appear in Mordor not as open parks, but as off limits areas of toxic waste.

Edit: I changed it to BliddyUnnerground - a Londonese rendering of Bloody Underground, which I hope is clear enough.....

Last edited by littlemanpoet; 11-13-2005 at 07:38 PM.
Old 11-13-2005, 04:08 PM   #83
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Sorry lmp I didn't realise they hadn't transferred across from word (the italicised bits). I'll go do that now. And change the description of the ATM too, I think I must have misread that.

Hmm, I think I've got them all in italics now, if anyone sees any others in there please tell me.

Last edited by Kath; 11-13-2005 at 04:19 PM.
Old 11-13-2005, 06:30 PM   #84
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Bringing this forward:

Player/Character List
  • littlemanpoet -- Anakron Istkon Vayor (The Grand Anakronist)
  • Feanor of the Peredhil -- Alumìne Umfuìl (aka: Alli)
  • Celuien -- Panakeia
  • Encaitare -- Wilhelmina Brochenbach
  • the guy who be short -- Fléin son of Fréin
  • Kath -- Sai Onara
  • the phantom -- Mardil II
  • Durelin -- Valde Delego --- 1st post needed

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

lmp

When the posts are in and the time is right for you and your crew, then leave a post for me with the order of posts for the RPG thread opening (by player name, please) - and I'll open the game then for you.

~*~ Pio

Last edited by piosenniel; 11-27-2005 at 11:41 PM.
Old 11-14-2005, 07:51 AM   #85
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sorry...attack of what I believe might be strep throat, along with 5 tests in 3 days time... You'd think 'twere mid-terms already...

Anyway, no excuses. I will get you my post as soon as phyiscally and mentally possible.

And, just so this post doesn't consist entirely of my whining... ( ) I love the monetary system. And Caer Pairadocks looks like quite the place... And I expect that Valde will want to know those "the magic words" by the end of this escapade...at the latest.
Old 11-14-2005, 10:44 AM   #86
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Will do, Pio.

Don't put yourself out too hard, Durelin. We don't need you turning into a cobbler ... again.

Magic words? What magic words.
Old 11-14-2005, 04:01 PM   #87
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

1420!

Yes -- Durelin & the phantom -

Please do take your time getting your posts in. This game has all the earmarks of being a very well-written one. Work up your posts to your satisfaction (&lmp's, of course).

And pay no attention to those character lists and what's still needed by the players. That's just me keeping tabs on where you all are in the planning stages.

~*~ Pio
Old 11-14-2005, 08:05 PM   #88
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

schedule

My thought on the schedule for this game is that if it's five tests, that will take five weeks; if it turns out to be six tests (just because of the creative gusto that's been building it looks like that'll be easy to mangage), then it will be six weeks.

This is going to be sort of like werewolf in on-task posting, more than once per day. Not the same level of intensity as werewolf - I can't imagine anybody doing that for six straight weeks. But it'll be a bit more on-task than a typical rpg, with a strict deadline so that you can count on when this is done.

I want us to be able to enjoy our vacations and holidays without distraction from this, and vice versa. So we won't start this until the week following American Thanksgiving, at the earliest. And then I expect us to take time off for both Christmas and New Year's, such that this will probably finish up in mid to late January.

Thanksgiving is on a Thursday, Christmas and New Year's both on Sunday. So:

Start (if we're ready): Monday November 28; each test/week ends on the following Sunday night. This is subject to everyone's readiness.

Christmas to New Year's off days: Friday Dec. 23 - Tuesday Jan 3.

We can even interrupt this in the middle of a "test", but we don't have to. I'm flexible.

So I'm looking at just taking a long break for the holiday, with everybody ready to bounce back to it Wed. January 4. Seem like a good plan?

Last edited by littlemanpoet; 11-14-2005 at 08:09 PM.
Old 11-14-2005, 09:18 PM   #89
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Perfect, LMP, absolutely perfect. What with a performance this week (meaning rehearsals every night except those that the shows are on), as well as professors loving to up the work-load before break, as well as me being on break starting Friday and very busy, the prospect of trying to fit this in as well over Thanksgiving had me a wee bit terrified.
Old 11-15-2005, 04:31 PM   #90
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Celuien has just left Hobbiton.
Looks perfect, and solves the problem of my being in London Dec 24-Jan 2.

My only notice is that there's a final exam on December 16th, so I might be absent (cramming ) on the 15th. Also, I'm being sent to Allentown on January 3. I don't know what the Internet access situation is from the dorm, so it might take me until the end of the week to make it back here if I need to find a library. Hope that's okay.

Enjoying all of the new bios and first posts.
Old 11-15-2005, 04:41 PM   #91
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
That sounds great lmp. But, and I know this is looking a while ahead, I'm going to be away in the February half term (err that's round about the 10th to the 16th) which means I'll be able to get one post in during that week but only the one. Does that fit in with your posting regulations?
Old 11-15-2005, 09:16 PM   #92
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

I think that we'll be done well before February.

As for December 16th, how dare you not be available to post on Beethoven's birthday! Just kidding. If you know in advance, like you do, you can prepare in advance. I can give you what you need to know in advance so that you can keep up; thus, if you don't, nya nya nya.
Old 11-16-2005, 04:14 PM   #93
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
On the subject of absenses, I have an exam sometime in January... I'm not sure when. But I'll be a little busy for a bit.
Old 11-21-2005, 02:31 PM   #94
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

List of people in Mordor:

Britney Spears
David Cameron
David Davis
Freud
Frodo
Johnny Depp
J. K. Rowling
Mario
Roald Dahl
Sam
Yoda

If people don't want to make it political, the Davids can easily be struck off, but I think it would be interesting to meet a few of the others along the way, eh?

Now, who wants conjunctivitis on the second day? It will only last a day or two.
Old 11-21-2005, 02:47 PM   #95
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I'd like to spot Mario, please. I've had an idea. No conjunctivitis though, sorry. I'm having enough trouble with my own allergies. It's tough being allergic to three dogs that are ecstatic that you're home and feel the need to show their love by never leaving your side.
Old 11-22-2005, 04:59 AM   #96
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Save Freud and Johnny Depp for Anakron. I have plans for those two.
Old 11-22-2005, 02:22 PM   #97
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty
Now, who wants conjunctivitis on the second day? It will only last a day or two.
Hah, Wilhelmina can have conjunctivitis, as nasty as it is. (Ugh, I hate pinkeye!)
Old 11-23-2005, 01:39 PM   #98
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet
Save Freud and Johnny Depp for Anakron. I have plans for those two.
How devilishly exciting. Anything poking fun at Fraud...er... Freud, sorry... is okay with me.
Old 11-27-2005, 07:02 PM   #99
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

I added my first post here.
Old 11-27-2005, 09:29 PM   #100
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

I had hoped to start this week, but we're waiting for Durelin. I've PM'd her and made sure she understands that she needs to take the time she needs to, don't feel rushed. I'll keep you posted. Great first post, phantom!
Old 11-28-2005, 01:42 PM   #101
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Kath has brought something to my attention: a common enemy of all Barrowdowners. Perhaps we could incorporate this evil of evils into our game? A final battle, harder than the rest, to defeat that which is so commonly our own downfall... Prôcràs Tìnatìon. Maybe not. Entirely up to you, oh Lord Who All Small Writers Hold Dear.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:04 PM   #102
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I am alive, therefore I write. Will have the post up soon. Planning on tomorrow.
Old 11-28-2005, 06:24 PM   #103
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Honest, I told Durelin not to put herself in too much of a rush. Honest! Looking forward to this, big time.
Old 11-29-2005, 03:44 PM   #104
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Post added. I hope it's adequate... Yes, all that wait just for that...

Thanks for bearing with me.
Old 11-29-2005, 04:19 PM   #105
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor of the Peredhil
Kath has brought something to my attention: a common enemy of all Barrowdowners. Perhaps we could incorporate this evil of evils into our game? A final battle, harder than the rest, to defeat that which is so commonly our own downfall... Prôcràs Tìnatìon. Maybe not. Entirely up to you, oh Lord Who All Small Writers Hold Dear.
This evil nemesis is already in Mordor. It's just a matter of figuring out where she is. And whether the current Offending Party will face her.
Old 11-29-2005, 04:28 PM   #106
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Let's Start

Pio, we are ready to begin.

The first posts are to be in the following order, please:
  • littlemanpoet playing Anakron Istkon Vayor ... & various servile maggotry of Mordor
  • Feanor of the Peredhil playing Alumìne Umfuìl
  • Celuien playing Panakeia of Harad
  • Encaitare playing Wilhelmina Brochenbach
  • the guy who be short playing Fléin son of Fréin of the Ironfists
  • Kath playing Sai Onara
  • the phantom playing Mardil II
  • Durelin playing Valde Delego
Once the new thread is up, please allow me to write the next post to the thread.

We begin 24 hours after Pio has the thread up (my post will up before then), and the first challenge shall last for one week's real time. Oh, if you're late, you'll get a late start.

Any questions, anybody?

Last edited by littlemanpoet; 11-29-2005 at 04:31 PM.
Old 11-30-2005, 03:33 AM   #107
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

1420!

The RPG thread is now open for play --

A few reminders:
  • Please remove your signature from EVERY post to the RPG thread - including SAVES

• Don't use smileys in your RPG posts or icons - e.g., etc.

• Don't use the 'Reason for Editing' function on your RPG posts. If it's critical that other players know that you've changed something, then put a post on the Discussion thread about your edit.

• No OOC (out of character comments) on the RPG thread - use the Discussion thread.

Have fun! ~*~ Pio
Old 11-30-2005, 10:58 AM   #108
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

The almighty dollar eh...?

Religion and currency anybody? The Church of the Almighty Dollar? Compulsory attendance and Mass? Having to buy your own wine? And crackers? And...

Yeah.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:45 PM   #109
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

The First Test post is up.

The ordering in which you guys post after my latest, will determine the order of the line-up (which is not that important after all, but will help clarify that little bit).

Then off you go!
Old 12-01-2005, 10:54 AM   #110
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Redirects concerning Orcs

1. Only Orcs will ever be found behind the wheel in Mordor; make sure your posts account for this.

2. Orcs have not changed since the days of the Dark Lord, except in one regard alone: their dark hearts crave respect, and so they have given mighty efforts to accomplishing a thin veneer of civilization. Therefore, they have turned into perfect bureaucrats: overly officious, tending to use "overly" correct English, which means a latinate word where a good Anglo-Saxon one will do. If you're not sure what that means, any word that ends in "tion" is latinate. Any word beginning with "con", "pro", or any of those three letter prefixes, is likely to be latinate. The one exception to the overly correct usage is when they're behind the wheel, and they revert to the most beastly talk.

I think that about covers it.

So I need to go back and edit the talk of Lûgnût too.
Old 12-01-2005, 11:05 AM   #111
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

White-All? Huh?

White-All is identical with the Houses of Parliament and Big Ben, across Whitehall Street from Westminster Abbey. Obviously, you won't find Caer Pairadocks on this map; those darned Orcs are always forgetting it.
Old 12-01-2005, 11:29 AM   #112
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet
2. Orcs have not changed since the days of the Dark Lord, except in one regard alone: their dark hearts crave respect, and so they have given mighty efforts to accomplishing a thin veneer of civilization. Therefore, they have turned into perfect bureaucrats: overly officious, tending to use "overly" correct English, which means a latinate word where a good Anglo-Saxon one will do. If you're not sure what that means, any word that ends in "tion" is latinate. Any word beginning with "con", "pro", or any of those three letter prefixes, is likely to be latinate. The one exception to the overly correct usage is when they're behind the wheel, and they revert to the most beastly talk.
Sounds Vogon-esque to me. Do they write poetry?
Old 12-01-2005, 01:21 PM   #113
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor of the Peredhil
Sounds Vogon-esque to me. Do they write poetry?
Yeaaaaah, I knowwwww. But there are not signs in Mordor that wap you in the nose for having an idea.

No, they leave the poetry to the Pretentious Professorial Trolls who speak overwrought Jamesian English at the University of Mordor.
Old 12-01-2005, 02:19 PM   #114
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Eye

I see you sent in some vans to whisk us away to seperate locations, but I didn't see that a van had been sent for Alli. Do you have some some sort of curveball planned for her, lmp, or can I bring her along with me?
Old 12-01-2005, 02:36 PM   #115
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

What the phantom said, minus the Alli. Does Flèin have to find his own way around, or is a van coming?

Internet access might be a little tight for a few days, maybe a week or more. I'll most likely post at least once a day, but won't be as commited as I could be.

I'm also busy all next Monday with a Prizegiving ceremony, so no posts then.
Old 12-01-2005, 02:44 PM   #116
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
Originally Posted by the phantom
Do you have some some sort of curveball planned for her, lmp, or can I bring her along with me?
And here I thought that my moody and potentially violent dear Alli would be bringing you along with her. Sure you still want to travel with the lass? Hehe.

And yeah... am I about to get vanned? Not that I'd mind, of course... curveballs make me smile.
Old 12-01-2005, 02:56 PM   #117
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

Quote:
Sure you still want to travel with the lass?
Oh, yes. Unless lmp has something planned for you, I could use a traveling companion. And since Sai is right there with you, it would make sense if she joined the party.
Quote:
curveballs make me smile
Well, if you end up going my way, I promise I will throw you a nice curveball or two.

As long as you don't get "vanned", we will be able to meet up again fairly shortly, even if you can't get into my van (though I think I can convince the driver to take on an extra passenger or two). I already have a little something partially worked out. Unfortunately, I have to go to work now, so I can't write it up until later this evening. But, seeing as we have an entire week, I don't think that'll be a problem.
Old 12-01-2005, 04:30 PM   #118
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
Well, if you end up going my way, I promise I will throw you a nice curveball or two.
And I'll bat them out of the park. If LMP allows us to travel together, you just wait... I've got a few ideas.

Magazines give excellent inspiration.
Old 12-01-2005, 08:47 PM   #119
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Celuien has just left Hobbiton.
I've just sent Panakeia on her way to the BliddyUnnergrind. Is there anything special she should find there? And would anyone like to run into her on the trip?
Old 12-01-2005, 10:11 PM   #120
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
I see you sent in some vans to whisk us away to seperate locations, but I didn't see that a van had been sent for Alli. Do you have some some sort of curveball planned for her, lmp, or can I bring her along with me?
You can bring her along ... if she proves willing. You are free agents. I will not explicate.