The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Quiz Room
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2004, 03:58 AM   #201
Mariska Greenleaf
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mariska Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Ok, I must admit I made a little mistake, I don't know if it matters much, but the question should have been:

Tolkien referred to someone as "Olympian", so not "an" Olympian...

Anyway, a hint: initials: W.R., and according to Tolkien not a good lecturer.
Old 03-12-2004, 08:15 AM   #202
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Ah, the initials did the trick - thank you! It was Walter Raleigh of whom Tolkien was speaking to G. S. Gordon; his reason for calling him 'Olympian' is quite amusing:
Quote:
I only really meant that he reposed gracefully on a lofty pinnacle above my criticism. (Letter 46)
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 08:23 AM   #203
Mariska Greenleaf
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Thumbs up

That's the guy!
Your turn again.
Old 03-12-2004, 09:14 AM   #204
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
JRRT was awarded a high honour late in life - what was it?
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 03-16-2004, 09:17 AM   #205
Mariska Greenleaf
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tolkien

Do you mean the honorary doctorate at Oxford in 1972 for his work in philology?
Old 03-16-2004, 10:40 AM   #206
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

That's an honour too, but I was thinking more along the lines of national honour...
Old 03-17-2004, 02:15 AM   #207
Mariska Greenleaf
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tolkien

Then you must mean the CBE he received from the Queen!
Old 03-17-2004, 09:20 AM   #208
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

That's the one I was thinking of - well done, Mariska!
Old 03-17-2004, 09:35 AM   #209
Mariska Greenleaf
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tolkien

Thanks.

"May God bless you, my dear John Ronald, and may you say the things I have tried to say long after I am not there to say them, if such be my lot."

Who adressed Tolkien in this way?
Old 03-19-2004, 02:22 AM   #210
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

It took me awhile to figure out where to begin to look for this quote, and when I thought about how few people would have addressed him as "John Ronald" and thought similarly enough to want him to speak for them, I found the answer quite quickly. It was G. B. (Geoffrey Bache) Smith, one of the members of the T.C.B.S., in a letter written shortly before his death in WWI. It begins as follows:
Quote:
My chief consolation is that if I am scuppered tonight - I am off on duty in a few minutes - there will still be left a member of the great T.C.B.S. to voice what I dreamed and what we all agreed upon. For the death of one of its members cannot, I am determined, dissolve the T.C.B.S. Death can make us loathsome and helpless as individuals, but it cannot put an end to the immortal four!
Old 03-19-2004, 03:21 AM   #211
Mariska Greenleaf
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Thumbs up

Very good.
Old 03-20-2004, 03:18 AM   #212
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Which was JRRT's first published work, and when and where was it published?
Old 03-21-2004, 01:07 PM   #213
The Squatter of Amon Rűdh
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rűdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rűdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via AIM to The Squatter of Amon Rűdh
It was his poem The Battle of the Eastern Field, which was published in The King Edward's School Chronicle in March 1911.
Old 03-22-2004, 02:25 AM   #214
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Quite right, Squatter - do I remember rightly that it was about some ball game match? I can't find a reference to the contents right now.
Old 03-31-2004, 06:36 AM   #215
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Looks like Squatter is temporarily absent, so since the 10-day limit is up, I'll post another question. It would be a shame to let this good thread die an untimely death!

Which of Tolkien's sons experienced a loss that led JRRT to tell and write which story?
Old 04-05-2004, 01:46 AM   #216
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Anyone want to try?
Old 04-06-2004, 06:26 AM   #217
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rűdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rűdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Michael Tolkien lost a small toy dog on the beach while on holiday. Roverandom was written mainly to cheer him up.
Old 04-06-2004, 07:04 AM   #218
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Quite right, Squatter! Though the boy in the story had no name, he was called 'little boy Two', since Michael was JRRT's second son.
Old 04-06-2004, 03:32 PM   #219
Spectre of Decay

In J. I. M. Stewart's A Memorial Service, a brief posthumous appearance is made by a character who appears to have been based on Tolkien. What is his name?
Old 04-07-2004, 02:50 AM   #220
Mariska Greenleaf
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tolkien

Could it be Timbermill?
Old 04-07-2004, 09:04 AM   #221
Spectre of Decay

The author of The Magic Quest himself. Professor Timbermill it is.
Old 04-07-2004, 09:17 AM   #222
Mariska Greenleaf
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tolkien

Tolkien criticised(sp) Lewis's work "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe" because according to Jrr Lewis didn't develop a careful mythology as basis.
What subtitle did he give to this work of Lewis?
Old 04-07-2004, 09:56 AM   #223
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots A split in the friendship

Are you referring to Tolkien's comment to Roger Green?

Tolkien dismissed LWW after hearing it read with the complaint, "Nymphs and their Ways, The Love-Life of a Faun"
Old 04-07-2004, 12:41 PM   #224
Mariska Greenleaf
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Thumbs up

That was exactly what I was looking for.
Old 04-08-2004, 07:21 AM   #225
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots What are friends for?

Hrum, Hroom Let me not be too hasty getting a new question up!

What did Tolkien tell Nevill Coghill about Treebeard?
Old 04-08-2004, 11:06 AM   #226
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

He told him that he modeled Treebeard's way of speaking on C. S. Lewis' booming voice. Hm, hoom!
Old 04-08-2004, 08:34 PM   #227
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots

Ent that the truth Estelyn.

Your go.
Old 04-09-2004, 10:17 AM   #228
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Which two characters in Tolkien's works are quite autobiographical, telling us about his thoughts and feelings more directly than any other characters?
Old 04-16-2004, 06:47 AM   #229
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

I didn't think that this question was so difficult - do you want a minor hint?
Old 04-16-2004, 07:57 AM   #230
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots

Oh, Estelyn, I have a Niggling reply in mind but I had a Major feeling that I should stand back and let others try their hand.
Old 04-21-2004, 04:59 AM   #231
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Well, instead of an answer, Bęthberry gave another hint - anyone want to try?
Old 05-07-2004, 01:42 PM   #232
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots

Well, Esty, I guess I was simply too cryptic.

Leaf by Niggle I would say, and Smith of Wootton Major, to be more plain about it.

Edit: shame about the Sniggle. Must have been thinking of Nmith.

Last edited by Bęthberry; 05-07-2004 at 01:48 PM.
Bęthberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 02:00 PM   #233
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Right answer, Bęthberry - nothing to niggle at! Your turn...
Old 05-08-2004, 01:49 PM   #234
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots worth a thousand words

Right, then, Estelyn, here's my go at it.

Tolkien praised one of his illustrators very highly. He said that the pictures "are more than illustrations; they are a collateral theme."

Of whom was he speaking?
Old 05-08-2004, 01:55 PM   #235
Son of Númenor
A Shade of Westernesse

Son of Númenor has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien :)

Might it be Pauline Baynes?
"This miserable drizzling afternoon I have been reading up old military lecture-notes again:- and getting bored with them after an hour and a half. I have done some touches to my nonsense fairy language - to its improvement."
Son of Númenor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 08:11 PM   #236
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Tolkien

It might indeed, Son of Númenor. Your go. And welcome to this thread.
Old 05-08-2004, 08:29 PM   #237
Son of Númenor
A Shade of Westernesse

Tolkien Merry Wollstonecraft? Charles Arwen? Tolkien's neighbour....

Which Lord of the Rings character's name was not-so-subtly derived from the name of one of J.R.R. Tolkien's real-life neighbours in Sarehole?
"This miserable drizzling afternoon I have been reading up old military lecture-notes again:- and getting bored with them after an hour and a half. I have done some touches to my nonsense fairy language - to its improvement."
Old 05-08-2004, 09:50 PM   #238
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Pipe Frankly, there's no Mr. Shankley

Well now, there was apparently an old farmer who had chased young Ronald for picking mushrooms ŕ la Farmer Maggot, but I think he has come down to us known only by the moniker of "the Black Orgre." And the miller's son was nicknamed "The White Ogre" but again, we lack an historical name.

Yet there was a Birmingham man who invented a surgical bandaid (plaster?) which became known as "gamgee-tissue", derived from his name, Dr. Gamgee. In the Warwickshire dialect 'gamgee' meant cotton wool. And that's how he came to be named, our Sam, I am suggesting.
Old 05-09-2004, 07:20 AM   #239
Son of Númenor
A Shade of Westernesse

Misinformation

It seems, sadly, that I have been misinformed. I was operating under the impression that Mr. Samson Gamgee was a neighbor of J.R.R. Tolkien's in Sarehole. In fact, Tolkien was unaware of Mr. Gamgee at the time that The Lord of the Rings was published. It was only after the book was published that Mr. Gamgee, a local Birmingham man and notable inventor as you said Bęth, became known to Tolkien.

Quote:
Gamgee is quite a different matter. In my early days gamgee was the word we used for what is/was more generally called 'cotton-wool'.....Recently in the English Place Names Society volumes on Gloucestershire (vol. iii) I came across forms that could conceivably explain the curious Gamgee as a variant of the not uncommon surname Gamage (Gammage, Gammidge). This name is ultimately derived from a surname de Gamaches....but early records of the forms of this name in England, as Gamages, de Gamagis, de Gemegis, might well provide a variant Gamagi > Gamgee.

Your reference to Samson Gamgee is thus very interesting. Since he is mentioned in a book on Birmingham Jewry, I wonder if this family was also Jewish. In which case the origin of the name might be quite different. Not that a name of French or Francized form is impossible for a Jewish surname, especially if it is one long established in England. We now associate Jewish names largely with German, and with a colloquial Yiddish that is predominantly German in origin.* But the lingua franca of mediaeval Jewry was (I was told by Cecil Roth, a friend of mine) of French or mixed French-Provencal character. (Letters, 324)
Samwise Gamgee's name was not a derivation of Samson Gamgee's. Therefore my initial question was flawed and, since Bęth provided the factually accurate answer, I yield the floor.

Apologies,
Númenor

Last edited by Son of Númenor; 05-15-2004 at 04:09 PM.
Old 05-09-2004, 05:57 PM   #240
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots How we are engaged

Such are the conflations of memory and art, Son of Númenor, wherein we make our meaning. No great error, I would think. As Tolkien himself said, what if a Mr. S. Gollem should appear on his doorstep!

Which brings me to my question now. In honour of Mother's Day (at least in North America, although not in England), let me ask this.

In what way was Tolkien's engagement to Edith Bratt similar to Mabel Suffield's engagement to Arthur Tolkien?