User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2003, 07:58 PM   #121
Kryssal
Wight

Kryssal has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

A nice human youth brought the tea that Lanaey had requested, but the Elf's body decided that she had done too much too soon. Collapsing back into the bed, she sipped her drink, almost completley exhausted.

Even though her body was depleted, her mind was completely functional. Her ears pricked the smallest bit when she heard non-human voices. It was the Dark Elves, but what they were saying was too muffled by the other happenings of the house. She couldn't even tell who they were talking to and she gave a little snort in self frustration.

Strength started to fill her body as she lay and suddenly different woman approached her.

"How are you feeling?"

Lanaey looked at her, confusion creasing her brow the tiniest line. "I'm feeling much better. I actually feel as if I could get up now, what was in this tea?"

The human smiled and felt Lanaey's forehead. "A family secret. I'm afraid that I can't tell you though since I'm not in that family," her smile widened. "But I'm told that it involves Kingsfoil. A little more rest and you'll be able to walk around like normal. Right now, however, I need to change your bandages."

Lanaey's bandages did need changing. Her arm wrapping was showing large splotches of red that had seeped through and her human helper was afraid that her back bandage might start to stick to the healing agent and consequently, her skin. Thankfully it hadn't, yet Lanaey's back still stung as the cloth was taken off. A thick, pungent paste was applied to her cuts and a thin paper like cloth pressed into the paste before tough, riding cloth was wrapped around her. These were meant to be endurable so that she could move around at her own violition. Which was what Lanaey was itching to do, but being held back by her care-taker.

"Lady, you still need more rest. Your body hasn't fully recovered yet." The young human helper was very concerned as Lanaey forced herself out of bed.

Lanaey grabbed and gently squeezed her shoulder. "I've been resting too long; I need to stretch my legs. Besides, there are still things to be done and they're not going to get done if I'm lying here in your sick ward."

"Other people can do them, you still need to rest." She said firmly, trying to steer Lanaey back towards the bed that had confined her until recently.

"What is your name?"

She seemed taken back, but didn't stop trying to push Lanaey. "Deron, but what-"

"If you had an injury, yet someone needed medical help, would you deny them help so that you could rest and recouperate?"

Deron's eyes worked quickly from her to the floor to the bed and back again. She lifted her arms in a gesture of defeat. She didn't say anything, but let Lanaey pass her. Lanaey smiled as she walked by, but Deron didn't smile back at all, looking much too stern for her age.

Lanaey felt great, despite a few stabbing pains, but those were minor and she could suppress them easily. Suddenly she walked outside into a small gathering where Laurel and the Elven brothers were center...
Old 07-01-2003, 05:53 AM   #122
Taralphiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Taralphiel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Taralphiel
Sting

Laurel smiled at Lanaey when she appeared at the doorway 'I am glad to see you are walking now' Laurel moved towards her with a visible limp. 'We have some good news from our missing comrades. Cartil is alive and awaits rescue. I am going now to see where Herebrand is. He will help us plan what to do' And with that she unsheathed her sword and made her way slowly down the streets.

She shivered after a while, and rubbed her free hand against her shoulder. The night was getting colder and colder, and it made her small walk more difficult. After some time she passed the tavern, and asked the barmaid if she had seen Herebrand. She nodded and pointed not far down the road.

She found him moving through the houses, checking for signs of his men. Laurel felt a pang of pain and guilt for causing him such worry, and pain.

She moved forward and slowly said 'I am sorry I had to cause this. Your men were good fighters. I hold all my hope in them. Still, I should have known better...'
Old 07-01-2003, 11:10 AM   #123
Cuthalion
Summoner's Soul Mate

Cuthalion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Cuthalion
Sting

At the sound of her voice, Herebrand looked at her in amazement. "Lady...why are you here, out in the streets like this? You are wounded, you would be putting your time to better use by allowing yourself to heal, not making that leg worse!" He had spoken to her gruffily and as he watched her face fall, he felt shame. He went to her side, his expression softening. "Lady, I spoke in haste. My people are quick to anger at times and I am between worry and sorrow for my men. They would have served you well, but it may be that they are no more." He turned his face from her. It had always been a matter of pride with him that he had never lost a man, now it appeared he had lost many more than just one!

She had flinched at the tone in his voice, then she lifted her chin defiantly. "I am more than able to take care of myself Herebrand, though I appreciate the concern." He had to admire her. She reminded him of the warrior women of his own land and he grinned despite himself. Here she was, a young woman of noble blood, not spoiled or pampered, but fiery, carrying within her the heart of a fighter.

He held out his arm to her, equal to equal. After a moment she clasped arms with him, then smiled at him in return. Herebrand clapped her lightly on the shoulder. "Come, let us seek out those of our comrades that yet can fight and we shall finish what we came here to do. I am still bound to you lady, by my oath and I would not have it said that I am forsworn. Nay, sooner would I die!"
Old 07-01-2003, 07:10 PM   #124
Taralphiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Laurel walked beside Herebrand down the dark streets, searching for his men. Thinking over in her mind what could have possibly happened here while she was away, she began eliminating the possible places his army could be. She turned a slight, and looked over at a dense copse of trees nearby.

'Do you suppose they could be there?' she motioned with her arm. Herebrand turned and his face seemed lined with concern.

She thought for a moment before she spoke 'The battle here seems a muddle to me, but I have gathered a few facts of it. This battle was waged on more than one front. A small army from those trees, and from the plains. That would explain the skirmishes on each of the outer edges of the Village. Then it would seem that your men saw the moving army, and met them there. They caught some of the Wild Men in the trees, and the rest scattered into the town...'

'It is only a guess, but does it seem that could have been the way of it?'

[ July 01, 2003: Message edited by: Taralphiel ]
Old 07-02-2003, 08:46 PM   #125
Taralphiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Cuor followed Gita through the trees till he saw the House in view and could wait no longer. He placed the dart carefully in the shooter and gave a quick blow of air, sending it whizzing forward at great speed. But Gita was ever a warrior, and she ducked it, letting it speed through the trees. She turned and snarled, and unsheathed her sword. Cuor smiled at her arrogance and dropped from the tree, his sword at the ready.

'Just what were you planning on doing eh?' he growled lowly at her. She came at him with her sword, and metal clashed.

'You stay away if you know what is good for you filth!!' he yelled at her.
Old 07-04-2003, 07:42 PM   #126
Cuthalion
Summoner's Soul Mate

Sting

"Lady, it is certain we will learn nothing more of them now, it has become far too dark to continue the search. Let us go and find the others, for dawn will surely put all of us in a better frame of mind," he winked at her, "Especially as I am nearly dead on my feet. Come, let me help you up on my horse and I will see you back safely." She looked at him, one eyebrow raised. "I can take care of myself, Herebrand. In case you hadn't noticed." He smiled in return. "Hmmm, I see by the scars that you will bear that you had some difficulty in doing so."

She slapped him on the shoulder, none too lightly, yet she realized he was teasing her. She knew that she had had a close call, but her pride wouldn't allow her any show of weakness. She respected the Rohirrim and she wanted respect in return. "I appreciate the offer Herebrand, but I'll have to decline. I'm as capable of walking back to the house as you are." He gazed down at her, then shrugged. "As you wish." he said as he re-mounted. He extended his hand down to her. "You sure? Last chance!" She glared at his proffered hand, then sighed as he swung her carefully up behind him, then they set off to re-join the others.
Old 07-04-2003, 09:26 PM   #127
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynë

maikafanawen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to maikafanawen
Pipe

“Filth?” she drawled. The woman stepped back, shaking her fiery hair out of her face. “I don’t remember ever being told to take orders from you elf!” she spat. Her words seemed to hit a slight nerve and he swung around again with his sword. She parried his first to thrusts and side stepped his third, trapping his blade with her sword’s hilt.

“Now,” she drawled, “why don’t you be a good little boy and run back to the king. I’m sure he has some measly chores for you. It wouldn’t do you any good to kill me. That would just make him angry with you. Don’t want to risk losing your precious--” She didn’t finish what she was saying. His eyes had become dark with hatred and his lips were trembling with rage. Gita cursed under her breath; she hadn’t meant to make him cross. Before he had come she had just been thinking that she wouldn’t get anywhere if she continued to offend and affront him. Sending her sword ringing home in its scabbard, she turned quickly on her heel, and walked briskly away.

“Here!” he yelled, fury in his voice. “Where are ye going? I am not thru with ye!” Gita smiled as she turned to face him over her shoulder.

“Yes you are Cuor.” Her tone of voice was gentle, taking the elf aback. “Ye always have been.” Not understanding her meaning, he rushed at her taking a dagger out of some hidden place and pressing it against her throat grabbing the back of her head with his other hand.

“Don’t tempt me!!”

“Tsk tsk. Why change your ways now. Wouldn’t you prefer that I turn my back first,” she chided. Cuor snarled.

“Get out!” The moment he let go she disappeared on her way to the village. Looking back she saw him trudge through the woods back towards the House.

“Damn.” Gita had always known that he would never think of her the way he thought of his Swan Lady, but that didn’t mean she couldn’t think of him.

The village was recovering from the attack when she arrived in her regular peasant clothes. She entered one of the inns where tables had been pushed together to hold the wounded. Not wanting to get caught up in the nursing, she snuck out the back and continued wandering. Gita wasn’t sure when the king would issue his next attack. But she had a gut feeling that Swan Wood would be more than ready for it, and they would fall drastically. The wild woman wasn’t sure where would be the safest place for her to be when that time came.
Old 07-05-2003, 02:37 AM   #128
Taralphiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Rudhchamion watched Thagon hit the forest floor with a sickening howl and a great thud. Racing to him, he saw what had happened. A dart, had struck him in the throat. His blood spilled onto the forest floor. His eyes were fixed on the stars, as he gurgled and tried to breathe his last. But it didnt last long.

Rudhchamion tore through the shrub to see the face of a man. He wondered if his eyes fooled him. It was one of the Eldar. The Elf looked at him with pale fear, and before he could say a word, the Elf fired a dart at him. Rudhchamion ahd expected this, and moved out of the way as it harmlessly hit a treestump. But the Elf was gone.

He moved back to the Gondorians side. His face was not twisted with pain, but as stone, no expression. He closed the mans eyes, and lifted his body, slowly trudging back to the House...

~*~

Taralphiel smiled at Annanoldowen 'That would be a thing I would very much love to look at. I do not know how many times in my old age I have looked over my library and-'

Taralphiel's breath was cut short. She turned around, and saw the dark Elf walk into the room. Droplets of blood marked his trail. In his arms was Sir Thagon. Rudhchamion simply shook his head. A tear ran down the old womans cheek.

'So we have lost the Knight of the Order of the Rose. That is something to mourn for a long time to come. Eru save us all'

[ July 05, 2003: Message edited by: Taralphiel ]
Old 07-05-2003, 02:47 AM   #129
Taralphiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Laurel dismounted Herebrand's horse with a flinch. She would have to take more care doing that in the future.

Heading back into the House, she heard the two dark ELves and Lanaey in a conversation of their own. Ohtaredan was yet to return from his search. Laurel embraced her grandmother, and saw to her grandfather. 'Thank Eru he survived this' she murmured. But he was in too deep of a sleep to talk more. Her grandmother knelt beside her 'He has not given up yet my child. I think he gets some of the stubborness from you' she laughed lightly at Laurel, and she grinned back, though it soon broke to a yawn.

Makeshift beds were littered about the house, and she and Herebrand soon found a place to get some sleep.

'I will help you find your men tomorrow' she said to him 'You know yourself I am not one to give up easily' she said with a light tone. 'Indeed' he chuckled 'Though it may go against you in a time to come' he said.

'Stubborness makes up for lack of hope I think' she said, and wrapped another blanket around herself.
Old 07-05-2003, 01:10 PM   #130
Kryssal
Wight

Silmaril

Laurel had gone off to find Herebrand and hopefully his small army as well. Personally Lanaey didn't think that many of the army would be left if they had been in the fight at all. The fight had been so brutal and the enemy had had the advantage with their poisonous darts.

Many of the people that had been in the meeting with Laurel went inside the house, getting ready for the little sleep that they could manage. Sighing, she turned and saw the Elven brothers with their heads together. She walked over to them and they looked up quickly.

Galain spoke first. "You seem to be healing quickly." He had chosen a neutral point of conversation to start with.

Lanaey nodded and went straight towards her point in going to them. "I wasn't here for the telling and I was wondering if you'd fill me in on the details already given to the others."

Gorath raised an eyebrow at his brother, but Galain only shrugged back at him. Gorath then went into a short, sketchy description of the camp and how many men they saw. He ended with Cartil and how he was faring. Lanaey deliberated on the information and wondered how they were going to take the enemy. If they had Herebrand's army, it would be much easier.

The brothers seemed to be thinking along the same thought because Galain said, "Do you think that many of the Rhohirrim made it through the battle?"

"I don't think they did," Lanaey said as Gorath shook his head, making some of his hair fall in front of his eyes. "And neither of you saw them in your travels to find Cartil?"

Now both of the Elves shook their heads. Lanaey looked sharply at the pair. They both looked extreemly tired. Well, they had been awake for a couple of days traveling and spying, but they weren't giving in to their weariness at all. Lanaey wasn't going to tell them what they already knew.

Gorath suddenly spoke after a time. "It looks like we aren't getting the help of the Rohirrim."

Lanaey and Galain turned and looked in the same direction and saw Laurel and Herebrand riding in with no sign of the others. If the dark Elves had looked tired, they were wide awake compared to Herebrand. Laurel nodded in their direction before going into the house with Herebrand to get some sleep.

"There needs to be gaurds tonight. Who knows if the wild men would attack twice in one night," Galain said as Herebrand went through the door.

"I'll do it," Lanaey said quickly. "I've been sleeping almost all day. I can also find some villagers to help me."

Galain smiled, he knew what she was doing. As they too went into the house, Lanaey went in search of helpers and Drass. She found a couple of willing teenagers who weren't wounded and could stay awake all night to watch out for their loved ones, but Drass was no where to be found. She gave her high whistle several times around the outskirts of the village, but she still didn't show up. Lanaey had a twinge of worry, but she knew her horse well enough to not be worried too much.

The night passed quickly with the ceaseless wandering and checking with the other watchers. Soon false dawn started to spread over the land and Lanaey knew they'd be making plans soon. Heading back toward the house where everyone was staying Lanaey wondered if they'd be able to purge this land of the wild men.
Old 07-11-2003, 04:28 AM   #131
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Lyra Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Elena felt a hand slipping into hers and glanced up, shocked. Not only was Fiona holding her hand, but her cheeks were shining with tears. With a very watery attempt at a smile she squeezed Fiona’s hand.

The next thing she remembered was morning. Bright sunlight was slanting through the trees, onto the stream, onto the remains of a fire and onto Elena and Fiona sprawled out beside it. Sitting up, Elena rubbed her eyes. The horse was leaning over the stream, drinking, and Rian was lying curled up beneath a tree. Fiona sat up, blinking. Smiling at her, Elena walked over to the stream, washed her face and then drank. Fiona had gone to wake Rian.

After washing herself properly Elena fetched more berries for breakfast. When she gave them to Rian, she actually received a smile although Rian still had not spoken. The girls ate, and the horse cropped the bushes and grass. When they had all eaten, she came and nudged Elena’s arm, walked to the side of the clearing and whinnied to them.

“She wants us to follow” Elena whispered to Fiona, who nodded. Quietly each took one of Rian’s hands and began to follow the horse.

It was hard to tell how long the walk through the forest took, but although it seemed like a long time the girls did not feel tired. Suddenly they found themselves at the edge of a huge open space, leading from the eaves of the trees, where they stood, to the sea. Elena felt a strange thrill inside. She had never seen the sea and had not known they were so close to it. In between them and the sea there stood a great house. Elena could see that this was where they were being led. As they approached, the horse put back her head and whinnied loudly. At the noise, people began to come through the doors of the house.

The people all came out to mill around the girls and the horse, asking who they were, where they were from and how they got there. Fiona talked to them, while Elena held Rian’s hand. It was a surprise to see, all of a sudden, that most of the people had left. Fiona was calling to her to follow, and a nice lady was leading them into the house. From the corner of her eye, Elena saw the lovely horse who had probably saved them, turn and leave, probably to find the Elf lady. Elena waved, then felt silly. It was only a horse after all!

There were many doors in the corridor they walked along, and from one open door, a voice called to the lady who was leading them. Glancing at the three girls, the lady went over to the door and walked in. Elena and Fiona peered in through the doorway, drawing Rian behind them. An old man was lying in a bed, talking to the nice lady. Then he looked up and saw the girls.
“Who are you?” he called.

[ July 14, 2003: Message edited by: Lyra Greenleaf ]
“Sylphs of the forest,” I whispered. “Spirits of oak, beech and ash. Dryads of Rowan and hazel, hear us. You who have guided and guarded our every footstep, you who have sheltered our growth, we honour you."
the Forbidden Link
Old 07-11-2003, 12:02 PM   #132
Manardariel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manardariel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

"Who are you?"

A man looked down at them. Well, rather, he stared down at them with great interest, like they were an especially rare butterfly and he was wondering how to catch them.

Fiona stuck her chin up at him. Let him try to pin them up, he´d have vomit all over him before he could say "Butterfly".

"My name´s Fiona, I´m Sir Rindal´s daughter. This is my sister Rian and this-" she paused.

The man was eyeing Elena in a way that didn´t look friendly at all. Fiona thought she saw Elena´s lip quiver.

"That´s my other sister, Elena." She said, quickly. Elena looked like she had been voted the girl with the cleanest dress ever. "We´re from the village. We were attacked yesterday, and kidnapped, but we managed to get away. We spend the night in the woods, and now we came here for help." Was it really only yesterday? The thought crossed Fiona´s head, leaving her stunned. It seemned like six months had passed since she´d been sitting by the well, feeling hurt and lonely because her squirrel had dared touch another girl.

Fiona suddenly realized the man was still looking at them like they were mad. Fiona´s eyes glittered malichiously as she stared up at him. His eyes wondered over their dirty, ripped dresses covered in blood, dirt, leaves and throw up. He studies their pale, dirty faces, their red-rimmed eyes, swollen from too much crying and not enough sleep. Fiona waited for him to say something. He just stared.

"Umm, Helloo?? Are you going to help us or what?" Fiona asked, impatiently.

He looked down at her, and a smile spread over his face.

"Hello. Welcome to Swan House."
Old 07-11-2003, 10:55 PM   #133
Cuthalion
Summoner's Soul Mate

Sting

Blearily, Herebrand awoke as sunlight streamed in through a window. He turned his head and saw Laurel as she too stretched as she tried to scrub the sleep from her eyes. Herebrand grinned at her and heaved himself up off the cot. Muscles protested loudly and he groaned as he rubbed at his back. "I must be getting old..." He couldn't help but grin as she saw Laurel eye him with misgiving. If he looked as rough as he felt...well, he couldn't blame her.

At the moment all he wanted was breakfast, and lots of it. He wandered over to the nearest table that looked that it might have something edible on it. He was mistaken. All he could find was a few scraps of bread on a cracked plate and an empty goblet. He muttered under his breath as he stomped outside to find his saddle-bags, there always something stowed away for emergencies in there!

Thoughts of what could have befallen his men fought their way to the fore-front of his attention. He sighed, unable to fathom what had occurred. How had this happened? How had he lost track of his comrades? It was as though he was part of a larger story and he had been suddenly thrust into it without knowing what had gone before...He shook his head to clear it. "I must be exhausted to be thinking such fanciful thoughts!"

After a few moments of intense searching once he got to the stable, Herebrand found two strips of dried meat and he sat down on a hay-bale to devour his prize.
Old 07-12-2003, 07:08 AM   #134
Taralphiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Cuor lay in a dark corner of the forest, panting heavily. He knew that one of the men had to be dead. Such a fluke seemed to amuse him slightly. His temple throbbed when he thought of Gita, and what she planned to do to the Lady Laurel. He now knew he had to stop her. But to afraid to go into the Village, he settled for searching the House for her.

Moving around in the shadows, he looked into the end room of the House. There was the Swan Lady, kneeling over the body of the fallen man. The Elf too was there. He seemed to be of the same race as himself, making him all the more nervous. Another Elf was there, and Cuor moved away when he heard the rustling of bushes nearby.

He moved slowly around the House, checking rooms for any sign of the Lady. But she was not there.

Retreating back to the Southern Confines, he paced and thought. 'There is little to do now, but go to the Village. If Gita is there, it will not be long till she finds the Lady'

Cuor wrapped a cloak around himself, and set off towards Swan Village to claim his prize.
Old 07-12-2003, 07:28 AM   #135
Taralphiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Laurel moved around the small House, and cursed at her hobble. Her grandmother Rivwyn scolded her 'Its unbecoming of you dear' she fretted, and looked at her bandages.

'Being unbecoming is the least of my worries' she said, and winced as she moved her shoulders around. She felt as stiff as a board.

She unsheathed her sword and moved around a little, trying to test the weight on her leg. But it caused her a few very unbecoming stumbles and more whispered curses.

She moved outside to get some air, and almost fell over a grey-clad servant girl. Muttering apologies, she limped on, gritting her teeth.

She watched small numbers scurry from house to house, looking over their shoulders with worry. She watched mothers keep their children indoors, and warn them away from burnt or ransacked houses. She also saw wrapped bodies being moved out to the cemetary, and lowered her head, slowly shuffling along.

She wondered where Herebrand's army was. She wondered who was alive. She feared for Jesslyn and Leena, and Ilisit.

She saw Herebrand sitting by himself, and smiled, but did noy join him. 'He seems like he needs time to think' she thought 'If I were him, I know I would' And so she found a small crate at the back of a house, with a view of the plains.

She sat there and thought about what she would do, and what she could do. It was obvious she needed Herebrand's army in order to attack. Only then would the forces be even. She knew that she needed to find the person left in charge of his troop, and that was Ilisit. She had told the villagers his description, but none had found him dead or alive.

She let the cold air sting her face, and rested her head on the wall. She began to think out strategies of attack, whether to charge out front, or attack in small bands. She thought of the rescue of Cartil, and worried for his safety.

She looked at the bandages on her leg and arm with chargrin. Her exertion must have opened her wounds a slight. She closed her eyes and tried to concentrate on what she had to do.

'You've made a mess of things, nows your time to fix it'
Old 07-12-2003, 12:06 PM   #136
Kryssal
Wight

Silmaril

Lanaey walked toward the house and saw many different people stretching themselves out and walking away the nights stiffness in their legs. The Elf moved past them and into the house that had become the 'head quarters' of the fighters and wounded.

Since Drass had not returned yet, Lanaey couldn't get some of her food from the saddle bags. In a quick search of the house though, she found that many people there weren't breaking their fast either. Most of the available food was going toward the injured and sick, the rest of the food, which wasn't much, was being divied out to the smallest children. Her eyes fell on a tiny child, just bigger than the smallest, who wasn't getting any food at the moment because there was none to spare. He was trying to look brave, but he still ran off to hide his tummy rumblings and crying. Several of the villagers were going to their own homes to bring in food, but it wasn't very much.

Setting out once again, Lanaey went to the houses whos occupants were either dead or at the house. These were the houses that were dangerous with possible hiding men, or falling timbers from earlier fires. This search wasn't nearly as hard as she first thought it might be. Firstly, any real food storage would be kept in a cellar or at least on the ground floor; secondly, the third house Lanaey went to had enough food to feed the main house for at least a full day, maybe two. Smiling broadly she whistled to a passing group of four young women. They were hesitant, but at the Elf's urging they came in, saw the food, smiled themselves, and started to haul it over to the house. They only got a small portion of it, but when they returned, it was with much more help. Soon all the food was gone and Lanaey, being the last to leave at a much slower pace trailed behind the others. She was close to the borders of the village, and decided to take a look out and see if Drass was near at all. This was a part of the village that she hadn't patrolled last night and perhaps Drass may be resting near. She knew it was very unlikely, but trying wasn't folly.

Walking up just past the homes Lanaey found herself up to her waist in bushes. She didn't like this at all, anything could be in the bushes. Backing up and crouching low she tried to see beneath them, but being untrimmed, they grew down to the dirt, hiding anything they concealed. Frowning slightly, she slowly walked the expanse. On rewalking it, she found a small area with bent twigs that had been carefully put back into place. Though the area had been cleared and 'cleaned', Lanaey's un-humanly sharp eyes saw the gap where a human had crawled in. It could have been a villager that went through, but the Elf thought not. Pulling out a long knife, she crouched and started into the bush. Within a minute she had found an unconscious grown male with blood still seeping slowly from his side and a giant gash in his right leg. Lanaey was amazed he hadn't left a trail off blood all the way to his hiding place. Grabbing him she dragged his unresisting body out of the bushes and saw him to be one of the Rohirrim. She quickly checked him over and found that although his injuries looked horrendous he wasn't in immediate danger of death.

Knowing that her current physical condition would not allow her to carry him, she grabbed his arms and started to slowy drag him toward the sick house. Soon someone saw her, but instead of helping they ran off toward the house. Soon Lanaey's old helper Deron came running up. Deron gasped as she saw the extent of the wounds and the youth grabbed his feet while calling to others for help. Three more humans came and helped carry the injured man properly the rest of the way.

~*~

It had been at least five hours since Leena had arrived at the army’s temporary camp and they still hadn’t decided on a course of action.

The priestess sat in council with four high rank leaders and the discussion that had been going on for over an hour was about what they should do with the camped army. The messenger that they sent out three hours ago never returned and Leena thought it unlikely he had made it to the village since no one sent word. The army had too many wounded men to march off to the village and Settac, the main leader who had immediately taken over as acting Captain, was being very bull headed.

“We are in an unknown position to the enemy,” he repeated for the sixth time. “And to our allies,” Leena muttered as he continued, “And we have too many wounded to safely take back to the village. That’s all there is to this!”

Leena fumed at the balding would-be commander. “Fine,” she said in forced calm. “We’ll stay here till tomorrow midday at the least. We must move before the morn after though, agreed?”

He raised his head, looking slightly superior. “We’ll talk about it then.”

The priestess’ eyes flashed and had to forcibly restrain herself from attacking that arrogant prick. All he wanted was his new found power. He wasn’t even thinking about what his men needed nor about his duty to the village. She wished that Herebrand were here to quash his power trip.

The three, thus far silent, other leaders looked at each other and departed together. Leena stayed behind at the cold fire, trying to clear her mind, but it was resisting. Taking deep breaths and reaching inside for her training, a calm finally over took her and left her rational, even if she was still tinged with anger at Settac.

Looking around at the camp, Leena could understand why the pompous ‘Leader’ didn’t want to move. Many of them were close to dying and there was high risk in moving them. Personally, Leena thought that most of them could die regardless and the army had to get back to the village, it needed the good men’s protection. Leena had another surge of anger toward Settac at him going after a large band of wild men and leaving the village behind with most of the army following him. Now, because the battle had been more fierce than calculated they were stuck with too many wounded.

Going to her bedroll for the night, Leena swore that she would get the army out by tomorrow night, even if she had to gag and tie Settac.

[ August 03, 2003: Message edited by: Kryssal ]
Old 07-13-2003, 03:26 PM   #137
Annunfuiniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Annunfuiniel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

"Umm, Helloo?? Are you going to help us or what?"

Annunfuin’s wandering gaze stopped at the girl who had introduced herself as Fiona. One impatient young lady! he mused but couldn’t really bring himself to disapprove the girl’s lack of manners. Suddenly a fresh wind seemed to sweep through the room and Annunfuin smiled.

"Hello. Welcome to Swan House." he began; "My name Annunfuin and I’ll certainly try and help you, dear Ladies." Then he turned to address Elena who still looked a bit shocked. "I didn’t mean to frighten you, my friend; I wasn’t angry at you though I may have looked like I was." Annunfuin paused and once again his thoughts wandered far, trying to recall the last time he had actually laughed.

"You see, I don’t smile often. And while staring at you I was trying to remember if I had seen you earlier – and when I think hard about something I usually frown, like this..." and Annunfuin’s brow furrowed as he gave a coloured demonstration to back up his words.

Now it was the girls’ turn to stare at the man but as Annunfuin burst into laughter they soon followed suit.

"But now I remember! Elena, you are the girl from the Swan village whom Lanaey, one of my companions, nearly rode down." But presently Annunfuin remembered something else too and his face grew grave again.

"You say that the Village was attacked yesterday? That is dark news..." After a moment of consideration Annunfuin decided it would be better to take the girls straight to Lady Taralphiel to give a full account of what had happened.

"Briana" Annunfuin addressed the maid to whom he had been talking before the girls entered the room. He sat up in his bed and then cautiously tried if his wounded leg would bear his weight already. "My gear... I need help with the chain-mail..." Briana nodded and went to the door to call for another maid. Together the young women lifted the heavy mail and aided it on Annunfuin, tying the leather straps with practised fingers. Daughters of a soldier, Annunfuin thought approvingly as Briana brought him his sword. Over the clinking steel he pulled the black tunic of his guard uniform.

Annunfuin was just putting his sword into his belt when Fiona spoke after a silence which, the Gondorian could guess, had been uncommonly long for her tongue.

"Why did you get up only just now? We could never sleep that late! Well, unless we are very ill and then we must stay in bed many days and that’s boring."

"I didn’t sleep this late. But I have been very ill and I was told not to get up." Annunfuin spoke earnestly but then his eyes glinted; "Boring? Yes, it was boring – until you came."

"But now I’m feeling better and we should go and find the elf that healed me for I wish to thank her once more."

"An elf?" Elena exclaimed, finally finding her words. "Is she the same elf Lady?"

"You mean the one who nearly rode over you? No, this is another one." Annunfuin saw the disappointment on the girl’s face and rushed to continue; "But I’m certain you’ll find her as nice and fair as the one you have already met. And then I will take you to see the Lady of this House who is very old and wise..." Glancing at Fiona he added, casually; "...and must be addressed accordingly."

Annunfuin and the three girls wandered through bright corridors and spacious halls as Briana led them towards a chamber wing that she told had been rearranged as a hospital. There they should find the lady Annanoldowen.

On their way the company came to a room where a small cot had been placed in the middle. Annunfuin halted, bowed his head and raised a hand first to his brow and then to his lips as a token of respect and grief. One of those who gave their lives in the battle... Eru, keep his soul for only You know where it now dwells...

"Girls, follow me." Annunfuin heard Briana’s whisper and was about to turn and go after the others when suddenly he froze. His eyes had caught sight of the gear placed in the foot of the cot. It can’t be... He didn’t die!

And yet Annunfuin knew what he saw and great sorrow landed heavy on him. The long sword and the shield with the insignia of the White Tower... Sir Thagon Kestner had born them proudly in his life and now, in death, they rested beside him. Annunfuin kneeled and his grief was silent.

[ July 17, 2003: Message edited by: Annunfuiniel ]
Old 07-13-2003, 05:19 PM   #138
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Location: The Island of Conclusions (You get there by jumping!)...
Aylwen Dreamsong has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Jess thought it was over. She couldn’t find any other Wild Men in the woods, but she didn’t find any live villagers either. They were either safe with the elderly and the young or they were dead upon the forest floor. None of the fighting villagers Jess had fought with originally were alive with her now; they were all hewn and hacked to pieces by the Wild Men. Jesslyn Stone had always thought she would be ready to see death before her eyes when she went to battle. She found out early that she had been wrong. Jess had been useless to save any of the fighting men and women. There had been nothing for her to try. Jess did not know anything about healing, and she didn’t know anything about fighting with someone against one opponent. All she could do was fend off those attacking her.

Jesslyn wandered wearily from the forest and back onto the streets of Alphirion. Most of the town was in ruins. If a house had not been burned, it had been pillaged and robbed of all goods or precious possessions. It took all her strength to keep from collapsing with exhaust and pain and fear. Jess slowly shuffled her way down the streets, and saw no sign of life anywhere as she walked. Perhaps everyone had gotten to safety or had been rescued by Lanaey or Leena, but Jesslyn dismissed the idea for one of more devastating consequence.

Her black hair was matted with blood near the back, where a Wild Man had smacked Jesslyn with the hilt of his sword. Jesslyn’s hands were coated with dried blood from her feeble and failed attempts to save some of the brave fighters of Alphirion. Jesslyn could not bear to look at her right shoulder, where an opponent had, as a last resort, slashed with his sword as he fell. Jess was beginning to go numb, and she was vaguely aware of a long gash along her neck and left shoulder blade. Jesslyn’s boots were muddied with leaves, muck, and blood; her clothes were no longer clean but were bloody and dusty.

Jesslyn knew it was foolish to think that she could have saved all of the fighters, but nothing could erase the image of each valiant villager as they fell. The sight of a falling man just trying to protect his home would haunt Jess forever, and the image of a girl not unlike herself dying in the arms of her brother would not stop refreshing itself in Jesslyn’s mind. It was all too much for her. If the Wild Men moved on, it could be Jesslyn’s town next; her home was so close to Alphirion!

Wandering farther into Alphirion, Jesslyn began to notice a few living people carrying goods to a house nearby. Was that where everyone was? Jesslyn couldn’t be sure, but she was too tired to go any farther. She went right up to the doorstep of the house, and moved just left of the door to keep out of the way of people carrying supplies.

“Where’s Cartil?” Jess wondered aloud, suddenly fearful for her brother. Then she smiled weakly, remembering he was at the Swan Lady’s home. Of course he would be safe in the House of the Swan Lady! “The children and elderly are safe. Thirty villagers…dead…”

[ July 13, 2003: Message edited by: Aylwen Dreamsong ]
Old 07-13-2003, 09:10 PM   #139
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynë

Pipe

Annanoldowen watched as they lay Sir Thagon on a small cot and covered his body with a thin white sheet. He was to be buried at dawn the following morning. She turned to see to a guard of Swan House that had been brought into the long chamber wing now surrendered as a hospital. It was then that a maid beckoned for the elf.

“Lady, do you know the whereabouts of Lady Taralphiel?” Annanoldowen shook her head absently.

“She was here a minute ago but—I don’t recall where she said she was headed. Anything I can do to help?” The maid shuffled her feet.

“Well, two little girls and one older girl have just arrived. They are from the village. It looks like they saw some of the battle.” Annanoldowen stood quickly, tumbling the saucer of gauze she had been cleaning.

“The village was attacked as well?” Closed up in the hospital wing taking care of those in the House that had been attacked, she hadn’t thought of the village. Now she realized that she should have known both places would have been attacked. The damage done there was indisputably far worse.

“Yes,” she said quickly. “I can see to them. Where are they?” She bent gracefully replacing the gauze that had fallen into the bag of dirty rags yet to be cleaned and set the saucer on the table. “Wyerwen, will you please continue cleaning the rags. And Irigon needs his bandages changed, it’s been five hours.” Annanoldowen turned as six pairs of feet shuffled into the room and before her stood three village girls. One, the tallest, swayed on the spot and would most likely fall if the two younger girls didn’t hold her up.

“Here are Fiona, Rian, and Elena,” said the maid, pointing to each girl in turn. There was barely a moment of hesitation before Annanoldowen took Rian into her own arms and rushed her into the nearest bed. The maids in the chamber paused in their duties to gasp at the elf’s sudden strength.

Dipping a clean rag in cool water she dabbed it on Rian’s face. She was conscious but only just.

“It’s nothing really serious,” said the girl called Fiona. “She’s just in shock.” Annanoldowen didn’t smile and instead looked at the girl measuring how she felt and what she was up against. The first thing that she was that the little girl was brave. Yes, and she would be very helpful. The other girl called Elena stood behind her, looking concernedly at Rian. The elf nodded.

“Thank you. I will do what I can to revive her. Now, if you two will go see Rhanien, you will be given something to eat and cleaned up a bit.” With that the elf turned to the child on the bed before her and soothed her throbbing temples with herbs and laid a warm gauze strip across her eyes with lavender tucked into it. She would sleep peacefully for now.

Turning suddenly to the maid who had brought the three children the elf commanded,

“Find Taralphiel and tell her to come here. I’ve just remembered something of great importance that demands immediate attention.” Starting at the elf’s urgency, the maid rushed from the room to summon the Swan Lady. Annanoldowen turned suddenly eyeing the rows of beds that occupied wounded guards and even the occasional maid.

Taralphiel entered not long after, apparently quite flustered.

“What has happened?” Annanoldowen turned calmly and carefully.

“Cartil is in the hands of the wild men and their king.”

Guards were spared to take this message to Laurel and Herebrand. It would have to be up to them and whoever they had with them to rescue the Gondorian politician; Annanoldowen and Taralphiel had duties to the wounded.

“Think of the wounded in the village,” said Taralphiel. The elf nodded. She had been thinking about it, ever since the three girls had arrived just an hour earlier. She didn't look up and continued to apply fresh bandages to an old man's shoulder.

“Should I go to help?”

[ July 13, 2003: Message edited by: maikafanawen ]
Old 07-18-2003, 12:27 AM   #140
Taralphiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

Taralphiel sat out in the garden, a small courtyard in the middle of the house, which most halls opened out onto. There were blooming Jasmine and other scented trees, and climbers weavingover the walls. The courtyard also held the tombstones of the family, and would soon be the resting place for Sir Thagon Kestler, of the order of the Rose.

Taralphiel sat and pondered why a man so proud and bold deserved a death such as that, and a restong place so far from his home. Though she thought of countless others who were the same, undeserving of their end. Her husband was only one.

She gripped at the cold stone bench, unable to put to any language what she felt, and one word. She simply sat there, and said nothing as a messenger bowed quickly before her and delivered a message.

'Milady, word from Lady Laurel. She says that the Village was attacked, and that the results are not favourable. She has also confirmed that Sir Cartil has been captured but is still alive. There is also a message here for Sir Rudhchamion, from his kin...'

Taralphiel looked up at the young man. 'Thankyou. I shall give you a reply when you have rested well. You have earnt it' She walked through the House when she came across Annanoldowen, and told her the news. She too, was filled with pain.

She did not have to wait long before she found Rudhchamion, and presented him with his cousins message. The look on his face lightened 'It will be good to know what they have gotten themselves up to' he said. Taralphiel lay an old hand on his shoulder 'You need rest my friend. You have worked hard, and suffered indeed. Please, rest a little while'

Rudhchamion did not have time to reply before Annunfuin presented himself.

'Lady Taralphiel, I have news for you...'
Old 07-19-2003, 07:03 PM   #141
Mathom Collector
Pile O'Bones

Mathom Collector has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Ohtaredan stumbled, hastily regainig his balance as he wandered over the thick roots of a tree, coming out of the forest and into a village. Now, not only had he lost the men, but Herebrand, as well as himself in his neglectful wanderings in the forest. True, he had been searching for their men, but he should have payed more attention to where he was going. It would do no one any good, least of all him, for him to get lost and perhaps worse.

Fortunately, Ohtaredan had barely time to think of this before he was in civilization again. He found himself standing outside a tavern just as the sun came up over the trees. A young lady with a cap on opened the shutters of the front window, looking at him quizzically as she caught sight of him.

"Forgive me," Ohtaredan said obligingly and explained himself. Miraculously, the girl had seen Herebrand as well as another, a girl, who had asked the same question. Ohtaredan thanked the girl kindly and prepared to set off again.

----------

In the brief triumph of a new direction, Ohtaredan had almost forgotten that he hadn't found any of the soldiers yet. Leena, Ilisit, Jesslyn...in his sudden distraction, Ohtaredan wandered off the path again, but more fortunately this time. He looked up at the sounds of life, realizing that he was back at the house. Thinking that he should probably go back, for the others might be worried about him, Ohtaredan spied a female figure standing close to the door, as if in momentary thought.

Keeping his hand vaguely on Gostannendoll (more for personal security than anything else, as there could hardly be a safer place than this public one at the moment), Ohtaredan came up to the door to find to his surprise and utter elation, Jesslyn standing there. She had her back to him and seemed to have gotten her hair wet.

He cried the girl's name, coming forward to greet her, pushing past the people entering thouse, not noticing the look of distress her eyes--not looking at his--had adopted.

[ July 20, 2003: Message edited by: Mathom Collector ]
Old 07-20-2003, 05:48 PM   #142
Cuthalion
Summoner's Soul Mate

Sting

A cry carried through the morning air to Herebrand as he sat idly polishing off an apple he had discovered in the hay, discarded there apparently by a errant stable-boy. His head went up and he threw the core to the ground as he sprinted toward the sound. Ohtaredan! It had to be! Herebrand rounded the corner of the House in time to see his comrade and a young girl, Jesslyn wasn't it? standing near the front door.

He stopped as he took in the girl's pale face and pained, vacant expression. She looked as though she had been stunned and was about to collapse. Ohtaredan cast a look his way and flashed him a smile. Herebrand wondered briefly if he looked as careworn as Ohtaredan did. "Be ready to catch her! She looks none too steady on her feet there." He strode to his friend's side and clasped his shoulder. "Have you seen any of my men? Are they alive?"

Jesslyn swayed where she stood and braced herself against the wall. Both men put out their hands to steady her and though she tried to push them away, her shoulder wouldn't let her fight them too hard. Herebrand held her steady as Ohtaredan winced at the sight of her head wound. "She needs help, let's get her inside." he said, then opened the door for Herebrand to assist her inside.
Old 07-20-2003, 09:44 PM   #143
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Sting

As Jesslyn was led inside by Ohtaredan and Herebrand, she swayed slightly and stumbled over her own feet. She did not really want help from the men, but she was grateful all the same. They led her to some sort of cot in a large open room, where others were being tended to. Jesslyn was barely aware of her wounds now, but her want for sleep had become unbearable as her eyes blinked blearily and slowly.

"What happened out there?" Asked one of the men, who Jesslyn thought was Ohtaredan. She was too tired to remember which was which. Besides, Jesslyn was too preoccupied with wondering where her brother Cartil was. Ohtaredan was behind Jesslyn, and he found that her hair was not wet but was matted with dried blood. Herebrand sat on a cot across from Jesslyn, eyeing her scarlet, bloody hands.

"I...erm, well. I was...let's see...I was in the forest! That's it, I was in the forest. There were children, and we were trying to...we were trying to get them safely with the rest of the elders and children. Ahh...none of them survived...thirty I think. The fighters all died, a few children got away. All dead. Hilt of a sword hit my head. I tried to help the dying but I could not heal to save my own life," Jesslyn held her bloody hands up, but then shuddered and put them back down. "I got sliced twice. That's it."

Herebrand chuckled, but his glance was weary and his face was tinged with slight worry for the outcome of his men. Ohtaredan was finding some sort of healer, and Jesslyn was rocking back and forth from her seat, falling asleep almost. She could barely feel her arm, her back, or the back of her head...but somehow Jesslyn began to feel a horrible tingling feeling in her forehead that turned into a splitting ache.

"Where's Cartil?" Jesslyn wondered aloud, speaking to Herebrand. "He's safe, no? I was just thinking that he must be safe, since he was with lady Laurel and lady Taralphiel. Oh well. He never gets into trouble. How are you?"

Jesslyn rubbed her sleepy eyes subconciously, getting blood and red stains around her eyes as she waited for an answer from whoever might have been listening.
Old 07-21-2003, 02:15 AM   #144
Taralphiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

Laurel got up from her place and headed back to the house. She did not like sitting idle, and she needed more bandages. Moving into the dark room, she squinted to see who was there. When she saw a young woman, she raced to her side.

She winced a little as she knelt by Jesslyn's side 'Thank Eru you are alive!!' she said. Jesslyn struggled for a smile, her face was drained of all strength. Laurel motioned for a healer, and looked up at Ohtaredan and Herebrand. 'Thankyou for your help' she said with a nod.

Turning back to the girl, she looked at her wounds 'You will need time to rest. Please lie down and manage some sleep'

'Where is my brother' she said absently. Laurel took a time to stand, and put her hand on Jesslyn's shoulders 'Rest now. I'll explain everything later' Jesslyn relented a while, nervous at her words, but the healers came and convinced her sleep was what she must do.

She found a place to sit, and got what were supposed to be bandages off a healer. It seemed they were running out of supplies here. She unraveled the bandages first on her leg, and found her assumptions correct. The wound had opened slightly, and she cleaned it as best she could, though it made her feel dizzy. Then with care she began to wrap the new bandage around, and tried to get it as firm as she could.

She stood up and headed out again, seeing the three Elves deep in conversation. She approached slowly, and waited for them to notice her. When they looked over she said 'Have you thought more on our rescue plan?'
Old 07-21-2003, 12:55 PM   #145
Kryssal
Wight

Silmaril

The brothers looked at each other, and then at Lanaey, silently making her the spokesperson. Turning toward their leader, Lanaey put her hands to her hips for more balance and looked Laurel straight in the eye.

"For rescue, there are three basic plans that we can go by. Firstly, we can take a small group in and out, hoping that no one will be seen and all will go well. Secondly, we could take a huge force in, head on. It may confuse them and hopefully we'll be able to do a lot of damage. Lastly, we could send in two small groups; one to get Cartil, the other to cause precise damage," Lanaey paused, letting Laurel think over these options. After a few moments she continued. "I'm sure that you see all the dangers in each of these."

Galain and Gorath who had both been standing to the side qietly, shifted when Lanaey said 'dangers' and Galain quickly broke in.

"I think the best course of action for a rescue would be to send a small group in. We did get in undetected and could do so again."

"Yes, but I think," Lanaey spoke after he had finished, cutting off whatever Laurel had been about to say, "that we should do as much as possible to hurt them when they won't expect it. Two small groups would be -"

Now Gorath spoke up, "Yes, but how do you know they won't be expecting it and are readying themselves right now to take out a group that presents itself. Subvertive -"

Laurel put her hand up and all three looked at her, she was their leader after all.

"So, none of you want to do a full engagement," slight nods all around, "yet you've been, shall we say, discussing which is better: one group or two. Well, there are still more ways than that, say like three small groups. Yes," she shorted another flow of talking, "I'm sure you've already discussed all of this." Laurel paused, thinking again.

Lanaey shifted herself in the silnce, stretching out her muscles as much as she could. Today, she wanted her agility to be at top performance at any moment. Actually, she wanted to be like this till she knew the immediate enemy was no danger, and that wouldn't be for a little while.

Someone spoke, bringing her attention back to the conversation.
Old 07-21-2003, 02:22 PM   #146
Annunfuiniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Annunfuiniel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

"Lady Taralphiel, I have news for you..." Annunfuin began. But then he halted and took a moment to think about the past few days. "But on a second thought I doubt they are any real news to you, M'lady. The Village has been attacked but you knew that already, am I right?" The old woman looked at the grey Gondorian, and Annunfuin beheld what went on behind the Lady Taralphiel's piercing green eyes. He needed no words from her.

"Why wasn't I informed earlier?" Annunfuin asked and knew he sounded harsh the moment the words left his lips. Annanoldowen frowned at his rudeness but Taralphiel still stood silent. Annunfuin bowed his head slightly and his grey chin-length hair slipped to his cheeks. "I mean no offence, my ladies, and I don't want to sound ungrateful. Lady Annanoldowen, I owe you my life… But I have lain in bed while things would have called for immediate action. Sir Cartil was taken – I remembered it only when I heard the Village had been attacked – and Lady Laurel was seriously wounded…" A sudden realization dawned to the man even as he uttered those last words. "Where is the young Lady?" Annunfuin asked only to hear the answer already ringing in his head.

"Laurel went to the Village and she has just reported the attack as you told it to me, Sir Annunfuin." Taralphiel finally spoke and her voice was strained with fatigue and worry. "Yes, she was badly hurt but Lady Annanoldowen's skill and her own determination made that she was on her feet sooner than expected. But tell me, dear friend: how did you know about the attack?"

Annunfuin's grave face took on a slightly more relaxed expression when he thought about his little 'messengers'. "That is a strange tale and I'm afraid I know only half of it. You see, there were three little girls from the Village and somehow they ended up in my room. We were on our way to see you, Lady Annanoldowen, when I saw…" Annunfuin's brow furrowed at the memory of the cot and the body under the white linens; "…something else that needs explaining."

"Yes, the girls came to me with a maid of the House. I was worried about the looks of the oldest girl and feared the worst, but she should recover wholly with time. The younger ones I sent to get some food and they also needed to get clean clothes." Annanoldowen spoke before Annunfuin had a chance to continue.

"Three girls? All alone, no parents?" Lady Taralphiel asked and Annunfuin could again read the thoughts the woman did not speak aloud.

"One of the girls, Fiona, told me they were kidnapped when the Village was raided but they managed to escape and then spent the night in the woods. I know naught of their parents…" I know nothing at the moment but I will know, soon. Unconsciously Annunfuin's hand clutched the hilt of Rómenril. Mid-morning sun streamed through the high windows and revealed the fine dust playing in the air. Deep in thought Annunfuin stared at the dancing dust bits and for a moment the ever present wailing of the gulls seemed to become more distant. Others stood in silence too, engaged in wondering the fates of the Villagers perhaps. But Annunfuin fought a silent battle with himself trying to reason what to do next.

A particle of dust jumped up in the nearly motionless air… I should go to the Village at once! To aid Laurel and see what has become of our companions that we left behind. Eru guard them! …and then floated down, down and dropped out of the ray of light. But someone must stay here, organize the defence. There are too few men, too few; another attack and we are doomed… Annunfuin's eyes narrowed and his whisper was drowned by the humming breeze of wind that suddenly swept through the room.

"What did you say?" asked Rudchamion as the stir in the air settled down.

"Luck. It's time we trust our luck - but it needs to be aided a bit." Annunfuin replied and turned sharply back to Taralphiel. "How many still dwell in your House, m'lady; maids, guards, wounded…all together? This is important for I have a plan…"

But before Lady Taralphiel had time to answer the sound of light footsteps filled the air and suddenly two small figures rushed to the room from the eastern door…

[ July 22, 2003: Message edited by: Annunfuiniel ]
Old 07-27-2003, 07:11 AM   #147
Taralphiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

Laurel spoke quietly above the silence, though she was sure that among three Elves, she would have been heard quite clearly.

‘I want this all to end. I want this to be the final offensive, at least if we can manage it. If we do not act now, when else will we have the chance? These people will not hold long. Their hope is almost gone. I cannot see this happen. I will do what I must’ she said and thought for a moment.

‘More than one group is the key. Though I see not a small group, but an army. If we rescue Cartil, then attempt to make as much damage as possible from within, their ranks will falter. If a large group were to attack…’

Galain spoke up, though his words were chosen carefully ‘My lady, where is such a group? I know the Rohirrim were a mighty force, but they are not here’

‘Then we will find them. We do not need many. Not even 200 would be enough.’ She said with head lowered

Lanaey looked at Laurel, then said ‘It is settled, we search for Herebrand’s men at first light tomorrow’

‘And if they are no more?’ asked Galain without tone.

‘Then we fight without them’ said Laurel, and walked away.

~*~

Taralphiel listened to Annunfuin, and nodded. She felt guilt for not telling him of his fallen friend, but before she could answer his questions, or quell his suffering in any small degree, she saw two children bound into the room. One was clearly the elder, wild in body and eyes. Her face was smudged with dirt, and her hair was wild and free. She reminded her of her daughter, when she was of that age, and that made her smile. The younger was almost a complete contrast. Pale and waif, her hair was long and neatly groomed. She had a stance that looked like she had carried many a sorrow and pain. Taralphiel had seen many of these children pass through her doors.Annunfuin tried to quieten them down, and Taralphiel smiled at them. ‘What are your names girls?’

‘I am Fiona’ said the older, with a wary glance. Moving closer to the other, she motioned to her and said ‘And this is Elena.’ ‘Well it is very nice to meet you Fiona and Elena. How are you enjoying yourselves here?’

‘Oh very much so!’ said Elena, with a sudden smile ‘Us and Rian are taken care of and are very happy!’ ‘That is very good to hear! You two have lost much, I can see it in your eyes’ she paused and looked at them. It seemed that Elena was most effected by those words. ‘Do you miss your family?’ she asked the little girl. ‘Della…’ she mumbled, and the other give a small look of annoyance. ‘Is that your mother?’ ‘No, my doll…’ the girl said and blushed.

Taralphiel put a hand on the girls shoulder and said ‘Follow me you two’ he lead them down a hallway, with Annunfuin walking in the rear. She skipped a few rooms before heading into one. As in most rooms, there were a few books and a comfortable bed and chairs. But filling the shelves in this room were many dolls and other toys. Taralphiel looked at them and said ‘These are the toys that children here have long grown out of. They gave them to me so that I would be able to give them to someone who would love them again’ She knelt down by Elena ‘You may find Della soon, but you may pick one of these dolls in the meantime. It will not be able to replace your friend, but give her a playmate too?’ She watched the girl give a small smile, and walk over to pick a doll from the shelf. Turning back to Fiona, she said ‘And I cannot leave you out, is there anything you would like?’

Both girls stood and chattered while looking for what to choose, and Taralphiel walked to the Gondorian who was hovering at the doorway. The girls soon whizzed past her and back towards the garden. ‘Let us find somewhere to sit so we can talk’ she said.

Sunlight streaked the small garden, and they sat on the warm stone benches there. ‘I hope you do not hold against me the fact I did not tell you of Sir Thagon’s…end. You were in no state to hear it. I did not want to heap more grief on you mind. I see you carry plenty from times now and before on your shoulders. I want you to know that he will be given proper ceremony as soon as you are up to attending.’ The man said naught, and so she continued.

‘As for your plans, I can give you help. It is time I used some of my studies. There are roughly 50 people here, you and I included. An attack here would not go well. We are desperately unguarded. We need to get these people to somewhere safer.’

‘As for an attack, I am sure that my granddaughter is planning it already. She does not rest long if she sees such a chance. Though what kind of attack she could make is uncertain’

Taralphiel looked Annunfuin in the eyes and said ‘But I will not leave here. My last journey from here I have already made. I wish to see the last of my home, if it comes to that. I do not wish to leave my husband and children again’

Taralphiel looked at four arched stones in the middle of the courtyard. Carved into with small pictures, each had a tale. By them, a small tree grew, its blossoms budding and falling at the base of the tombstones. ‘Ithilien, Estelien, and Eriador. All my joy came from them. Now they are gone. My daughter died in the arms of her love. I will do as close as I can to the same. I will not leave here…’

~*~

Cuor danced among the alleyways, keeping his hood about his face. He watched the day pass slowly by, scouring the streets for any sign of the Wild Woman, or better yet, the Lady Laurel. He found the latter first, with a group of Elves. He kept himself well hidden then, making sure their senses would not pick up a soul as wretched as his. Listening to their conversation, he grew pale. They were to attack! Cuor paused in thought, then smiled. ‘Let them try. Let them succeed. Those stinking animals deserve the slaughter. I will take what is mine in the confusion, and whether the outcome is ill or good for the Swan people, they will have lost their greatest treasure. He watched her intently, and narrowed his eyes as he saw her gingerly shifting her weight on her legs. A movement of her cape showed she was also bandaged at the shoulder. He grimaced, and cursed the person who inflicted these wounds. ‘Ah well, they will get what is coming to them. And if it was that woman…’ His train of thought was broken as he saw Laurel walk away with a noticeable limp. He moved to follow her, before he hissed and reached for his sword. He saw from shadows of an alley not far over another lurking figure. Gita. He licked his lips and slowly skulked after Laurel, intent on showing Gita that her efforts in this hunt were futile…
Old 07-28-2003, 09:02 AM   #148
Kryssal
Wight

Silmaril

Lanaey looked at the brothers; they did not look happy at all with the decision that their leader had come to. Lanaey just hoped that they would stick to it and not go off on their own again.

Turning around she saw Laurel's quickly retreating back. Rushing her own steps to catch up to the human youth Lanaey caught her on the side of the road. Laurel raised her eyebrows in silent questioning when she turned at the touch on her arm.

"I just thought that you'd like to know that a Rohirrim fighter was found earlier today. I do not know if he will be awake to answer questions, but you might want to consult with the healers about him," Lanaey said, getting straight to her point.

"Oh," Laurel said, turning to look at the sick house as if to see him from her standing point. "Thank you."

Having nothing else to say, the Elf turned once again and headed off into the town. The dark brothers were no where to be seen.

Dusk would be settling soon and Lanaey couldn't help but feel that she hadn't really done anything today. The Elf knew that the thought was nonesense, but the knowledge that the enemy was out there and she had stayed in the town itched her.

She decided that sentries would be needed again tonight she headed off to find the young boys that had helped her the previous night. If they had been smart and slept during the day they would be of great help. There was a smaller house, near to the main sick house, that many villagers had taken to staying in since the big house was getting so full. Upon looking in there she found several of the teens ready and eager to help out again. She smiled at their willingness to help and wondered if their mothers were not so glad that they were helping out in such a way. Better than straight up battle at least.

After that had been set up Lanaey walked around the edge of the town herself, trying to quiet her mind and keep her body awake and ready. As she neared a road, she looked off into the distance and saw a small dot bobbing up and down.

Wishing that she had her bow on her instead of with the absent Drass, Lanaey pulled out a throwing knife that was braced to her and waited until she could properly see what was coming. It was alone, so whatever it was it wasn't a real threat. Squinting to get the most out of her eyes, Lanaey started walking forward so that she could discover what was entering the town's land at such a rapid pace. It was a horse...no rider...perhaps one of the Rohirrim horses or a wild man's who had gotten loose. Still walking the Elf covered her eyes to get rid of the sun's glare and was able to make out the color and shade of the mount. It was Drass. Smiling broadly and giving a sigh of relief, the Elf waited.

[ July 29, 2003: Message edited by: Kryssal ]
Old 07-31-2003, 08:53 PM   #149
Taralphiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Laurel walked back into the House to find the rest of the group. She wanted other opinions on the plan of action. She found Herebrand sitting at a table, looking like he had a lot on his mind.

Sitting next to him, she began 'Herebrand, I know you are troubled. And so I plan that as son as we can, we shall find your army. We need your help to end this war. I cannot go on any longer' And so she shared her brief plan with him. She could not tell if he was for or against such a plan.

'I know it seems very foolish. But I belieev that a move not expected can be a wiser move in the end. Though, as I said, we need your help, and your Mens help. I have a feeling that they are not lost. There is a man in the Sick House that may be of your army...'
Old 08-01-2003, 06:01 PM   #150
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Lyra Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Blushing with pleasure at how nice the lady was to them, Elena gazed around at the pretty dolls. They were fancier than Della, and some of them seemed quite intimidating, almost. Like dolls that were really great ladies and didn’t want to be owned by an ordinary little girl.

Elena sighed quietly, glancing beneath her lashes at Fiona. She would like a new doll, but Fiona’s friendship was more important. If Fiona thought she was a silly baby then she would not take a doll. Luckily Fiona was examining little carved animals standing on a shelf.
“Look!” she said, turning to Elena and showing one of them “here’s a horse like the Elf’s one.”

With a smile Elena turned back to the dolls. In between all the big, fancy ones she saw a small doll only the length of her hand with dark red hair and a forest green dress. It had been carved just like Della had. Picking it up wonderingly Elena wondered who had done it and for which little girl. The hair which had been stuck on seemed to be human. Perhaps it had been from the little girl herself? Or maybe a fairy. It looked like a fairy from the trees, she thought happily. The hair was like Fiona’s hair too, such a lovely colour.

“She is pretty”
Elena turned and stared at Fiona in surprise. She smiled embarrassedly.
“Well she is”

Elena grinned back.
“That’s nice too” she said, reaching out her hand for Fiona’s little animal. It was a squirrel just like Porridge, all the hairs in its brush carved beautifully.
“I wonder if the same person carved them?” she wondered aloud, then blushed. She never wondered aloud, always in her head.

“Perhaps” Fiona answered. “I think my squirrel wants to play in the trees. Do you want to come?”
“Yes” Elena answered happily. The tentatively she said “I think my doll comes from the forest too. She might be-“
“A tree sprite!” Fiona interrupted. “Like in Mama’s stories. She looks like it.”

“She does” Elena agreed. “Race you outside” she said boldly, feeling very happy all of a sudden, then started running through the big house. Fiona was fast and she caught up quickly. As they passed the nice man and the lady, Elena waved.
“Sylphs of the forest,” I whispered. “Spirits of oak, beech and ash. Dryads of Rowan and hazel, hear us. You who have guided and guarded our every footstep, you who have sheltered our growth, we honour you."
the Forbidden Link
Old 08-02-2003, 02:38 PM   #151
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Sting

It had been too long.

Cartil had lost all hope of being rescued or escaping his prison. Had everyone back at Alphirion and Swan Wood forgotten him? Had they even realized that he was missing? Perhaps they forgot him long ago. The elves had told him they would be back to help save him...but now Cartil was unsure that he had not simply imagined the meeting.

He was stuck in the Wild King's tent. It stank, it stank of many things that Cartil could identify but wished he could not. Cartil could no longer feel his legs or his arms, but it mattered not to him anymore. He longed for fresh air, but at that point Cartil knew that wishes were useless and frivolous.

Cartil began to wonder if Jesslyn was alive. He wondered if Laurel or Thagon and Leena or Herebrand and everyone else had survived. Cartil wondered if he was the only one left, and actually chuckled at the thought. There was naught he could do either way. Cartil longed for the sound of someone's familiar voice, he longed for tangible proof that everyone and everything would turn out fine.

Despite all of his wishes, Cartil had given up.

~*~

Jesslyn couldn't sleep.

How could she? How could she honestly sleep with her brother either dead or dying? Of course, Jesslyn didn't know if such was the case, but why else would Laurel have hidden his whereabouts? Something bad must have happened to him, otherwise Cartil would have been there at Jesslyn's bedside, and the girl knew it in her heart. He wasn't there, and in Jesslyn's mind that meant that he was somewhere in trouble.

The nurses and healers had other people to worry about than Jesslyn apparently, for they left her after they were convinced of her feigned sleep. Jesslyn sat up, swaying for a moment with the dizzyness that swamped her. When she had recovered from the effects of her head wound, Jesslyn darted from her cot and began to sneak her way to a back door. She had to do something to help her brother! Jesslyn wanted to know he was fine, though a nagging voice in the back of her mind told her it was pointless to look. She didn't know where he was, only that he was in trouble.

Jesslyn sprinted out of the back door, running into the Swan Woods. She let the stray branches hit her face and body, and didn't bother dusting herself off when she fell into the mud. Jesslyn's crazed frenzy to find Cartil was fueled by both her head injury and her knowledge of what her parents and family would do knowing Cartil was dead or could have been alive. Jesslyn could see their faces, she could see them mourning Cartil and blaming her. Jesslyn could see them wishing that it had been her instead of Cartil.

She couldn't let that happen. Then again, Jesslyn also didn't know where Cartil was to begin with. For almost an hour Jesslyn crawled and ran around in the forest behind the healing house, but never really going more than a mile away from it. At one point Jesslyn came out of the forest in plain view of Laurel. But then Laurel walked back into the healing house. Jesslyn didn't bother to stop and worry about Laurel seeing or not seeing her, and continued to run off into the woods to find Cartil.

[ August 02, 2003: Message edited by: Aylwen Dreamsong ]
Old 08-02-2003, 09:31 PM   #152
Cuthalion
Summoner's Soul Mate

Sting

"Laurel, come, tell me of this man you speak of. Has he spoken of me or of the army? Ohtaredan! Have you seen this man?" Herebrand shook off his lethargy and stood along with Laurel as he asked to be taken to speak with the man she had mentioned. Ohtaredan shook his head. "Nay, Herebrand. I haven't been in the sick house at all of late. It is possible that one of may recognize him though. There is always hope, my friend!" He clapped Herebrand on the shoulder as they followed Laurel.

Ohtaredan marvelled at the change in Herebrand since the beginning of their acquaintance. He had at one time been light-hearted, seemingly care-free. Now it seemed as though he bore the brunt of the blame for the army's disappearance. The fact that his army had vanished for no apparent reason weighed on Herebrand greatly and the sight of seeing so robust a warrior beaten down saddened Ohtaredan.

Herebrand himself could only hope that the man they were about to see was able to tell him where, or even if, his men still lived. If they didn't...No! His mind recoiled from the thought. At least some of them hadto be alive! They were needed. Laurel needed them and he refused to admit he would have to break his sworn oath.
Old 08-02-2003, 09:56 PM   #153
Taralphiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Laurel came to the door of the sick house, with the two soldiers following behind. She prayed this man they were seeking could help them somehow. She could not help her people without this army, and she loathed feeling so dependant on their strength, but she could do little about it.

She glanced over the cots and beds, and searched for a nurse to direct them to where he was. A small hunched woman approached, and pointed in the direction.

'Where is Lady Jesslyn?' Laurel asked the nurse, still lookin at the beds. 'My word, she is not supposed to be up...where could she be?' Laurel felt a great pang of guilt fill her. She had neglected one who needed her. She gave quick word to Herebrand, and ran out to look for her.

It did not take her long. Laurel had keen eyes in a place she knew so well. When she saw a figure semi-stumbling towards the forest growth, she did not need to think on it. With her own bad leg, it took her longer to tryto catch up to the woman than was expected. 'Jesslyn!' She called out 'Jesslyn please do not do this! I'll explain all to you if you let me catch up to you!'
Old 08-03-2003, 01:46 AM   #154
Kryssal
Wight

Silmaril

It was midday and Settac had finally shown up to Leena’s summons for a meeting. The other three were already there, not saying much and looking elsewhere. The maiden couldn’t blame them for staying silent; Settac was their superior by small margin and they were used to taking and relaying orders, not giving them.

Settac practically flounced in and set off with, “We can’t move.”

Leena clenched her jaw several times before speaking. “Three more men died in the night due to lack of proper medical treatment. We’re out of the meager supplies you had and the village was what you were sworn to protect!”

Settac almost bounced on his heals, reveling in her lack of power. “We have the same problems as before: too many wounded, unsafe to move-”

Leena cut him off, stepping forward as her temper slipped another notch. “And what of your duty? You aren’t even with your Captain-”

Now Settac cut her off, puffing his chest and letting a red tinge appear on his scalp. “I am their acting Captain and they follow my command, not yours! I will not go-”

“We are going,” a collective voice rang from the side. Both Leena and Settac turned toward the other there advisors who had finally decided to speak up. “It is only logical to go, though there are ethical issues as well,” the man in the middle spoke.

“We went around last night and talked to all the men; the consensus is to leave. How you have ‘led’ us will be reported to Captain Herebrand upon arrival at the village,” finished off the one on the right.

Leena could have sung for joy. Settac was making some sputtering noises as he clamored to recover his composure after being unseated by the ‘mutiny,’ but no heed was paid to him.

The man who first spoke up against Settac walked over to Leena. “Though we wont be able to leave until sun up. By then everything will be packed up and the wounded ready to move. The medic said that six men will not be able to move before then. If it weren’t for that, we would be leaving now,” he gave her an encouraging smile before he squeezed her arm and walked off.

Leena smiled and went off to help prepare for departure, then noticed an almost pungent odor. Ugh, I need to bathe!

[ August 03, 2003: Message edited by: Kryssal ]
Old 08-03-2003, 08:29 PM   #155
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Sting

In her heart Jesslyn knew she had gotten nowhere and that her efforts to find Cartil were fruitless. Still, she pushed herself onward through the trees past branches and leaves and boulders. Jesslyn didn't want to go back, and be fated to never know what had happened to her brother. Knowing the truth of what happened, no matter how terrible or gruesome, was better than never knowing at all and being left to wonder. But what would her family say? They'd know. Somehow, Jesslyn had a horrible feeling that her family would somehow know if Jesslyn had stood by and done nothing.

Distracted and lost in her own thoughts, Jesslyn vaguely recalled stumbling over a fallen tree trunk and hitting the mud face first. She sat up slowly, gruabbing and hugging her muddied knees tightly. Jesslyn hurt all over, but she didn't want to stop looking for Cartil until she had found him.

Jesslyn!

Jesslyn whipped around, letting go of her knees and sprawling out in front of the tree trunk. Now she was hearing things! It was too close by to be a real person! Jesslyn began to despair, wondering why everything had begun to go wrong and why it was all happening to her. Part of her was screaming at the other, yelling that self-pity and such feelings were useles. The other part of her was hollering back that nothing was fair and that she deserved a chance to sulk.

"'Jesslyn please do not do this! I'll explain all to you if you let me catch up to you!"

This time the voice was closer, and it wasn't surreal or imagined as the other one had seemed. Jesslyn screamed weakly, and scrambled up from her spot and began to run again through the trees. She could barely see through her blurred vision, and soon rammed into the base of a strong-standing tree.

"Ouch..." Jesslyn wailed, rubbing her forehead and trying to pick herself up from the ground. It was no use. Whoever or whatever was calling her name would catch up no matter what, and Jesslyn was weaponless thanks to the nursemaids at the healing house. It was no use running anymore. "This just isn't my day."

Jesslyn barely heard the footsteps of a running Laurel as she came bounding towards Jesslyn. All she could comprehend of Laurel's approach was the pounding in her forehead that came as a result of Laurel's footsteps.

"Where's Cartil? He's dead, isn't he? You would've told me if he were just injured, and he would have been there for me if he had been alright. You don't have to hide anything! Just tell me he's dead!" Jesslyn mumbled weakly in a high-pitched voice that emitted since Jesslyn could barely suppress the sound of her sobbing. Jesslyn didn't want to yell at Laurel, so she bit her lip and waited for an answer.
Old 08-03-2003, 09:52 PM   #156
Taralphiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Laurel saw Jesslyn sobbing by the base of thr tree. She knew that she was in as much pain as herself, both mentally and physically. She wouldve crouched by her, but she felt her leg would tear at such an attempt, so she leant heavily against the tree. Jesslyn spoke first, and Laurel couldnt look at her "Where's Cartil? He's dead, isn't he? You would've told me if he were just injured, and he would have been there for me if he had been alright. You don't have to hide anything! Just tell me he's dead!"

Laurel finally lifted her head and looked into her eyes. She saw all her pain, and she knew exactly how it felt. She never thought she could cause that kind of pain to someone. She saw herself searching for her grandfather, her mother, her father, and her uncle. She remembered asking her grandmother where they all were, why they wouldnt come out of the Sick House, or why they hadnt returned from a mission. She hated not knowing, she hated being lost. Laurel couldve screamed.

'Your brother is not dead' Laurel whispered. Jesslyn looked with complete shock 'He is a captive, of the King of the Wild Men. We will be getting him back soon. We will bring him back to you alive. I will see to it personally' Laurel said it almost gruffly, and grunted only a little as she bent down and offered her hand to Jesslyn.

'You can be angry at me, I will not stop you. But you shouldnt be told such a thing when you were in that state. Now, let me take you back, so we can both be tended to' Laurel looked at her sodden bandage and shook her head. 'I need some rest if I am going to get your brother back'

[ August 03, 2003: Message edited by: Taralphiel ]
Old 08-04-2003, 09:10 PM   #157
Kryssal
Wight

Silmaril

Drass had gone quite a long way and needed to have a good sit down rest. Leading the steed to where other horses were being held, Lanaey quickly took off the tack and other items that Drass had been shouldering. Then Lanaey proceeded to give her a long rub down while she contentedly munched her way through several carrots before starting in on her grain.

It was while Lanaey was putting away the brush that she remembered the little girl she had nearly run over on her way into town. Hurridly running through her memories of the last few days the Elf couldn't find her. Despite the facts that Lanaey had been fighting and was unconscious or in the sick room for a full day along with the numbers of villagers running around, Lanaey had an uneasy feeling. She should have seen Elena at least once! Finding the child suddenly seemed very important and her mind would think of nothing else.

Walking fast footed to the second main house she started asking random men and women if they'd seen a little girl named Elena who carried around a doll named Della. She was just asking the third person when a man spoke to her side.

"She's missing, along with my two daughters." The man who spoke was haggard with a burn shining on his right arm. The eyes that stared at her were hollow and dark with fatigue of mind and body.

Lanaey took him by his good arm and started leading him to the main house that had all the healers.

"Did you search among the dead?" it was harsh and blunt, but she needed to know. The question didn't seem to pierce this father like it would have to others.

"Yes, but I also know if they're dead I may never find their remains."

They got to the sick house and a young maiden came over to help.

"He needs treatment for this burn and a sleeping draught," the Elf spoke very quietly to the girl.

"I'll find them," Lanaey said directly to the parting man; she just didn't know if she'd find them alive or just their remains.

~*~

Night was starting to fall, but the army wasn't going to stop till they had reached the village, darkness or no. They were all moving very slowly, for each man was needed to help carry or support those who could not help themselves. They hadn't even been able to send out another messenger to find Laurel or Herebrand. They had only been able to send out periodic scouts to make sure that they were heading in the right direction, but the scouts had to return soon to help with the carrying; every time one scout left another healthy man had to take up the slack in his absence.

There were simply too many wounded, for every one man down it took two to help. Not to mention the weapons and other slight supplies that had to be dragged along.

Leena shifted her arms and tried to stretch out her sore muscles slightly, but they were pinned by the stretcher she was helping carry.

She looked off into the forest knowing that they were dead if attacked by the wild men in force. Now Leena simply prayed that they would find the village soon.
Old 08-04-2003, 09:24 PM   #158
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Sting

He was alive! Cartil wasn't dead! Jesslyn took Laurel's outstretched hand warily, but pulled herself up without depending too much on Laurel's strength. Jesslyn wasn't sure which was worse: Cartil possibly being dead or Cartil being captive of the Wild Men. Jesslyn shook the thought from her mind, and was filled with a new resolve to find Cartil and save him no matter what the cost. Her famly wouldn't stand for it any other way.

Laurel led the delusional Jesslyn back through the words, carefully avoiding anything that they might trip over in their weariness. Jesslyn felt like going to sleep, but wondered if that meant she'd never wake up if she did. Jesslyn's thoughts wandered every which way, from the outcome of the battle for Alphirion to what her sister was cooking that night for dinner. At least her fears had been faced and she had survived the night, or so Jesslyn reasoned.

When Laurel and Jesslyn successfully navigated their way out of the woods and back to the side street behind the healing house, Laurel was limping slightly and Jesslyn was hitting her forehead with the palm of her hand to try and ease the ache. They entered the healing house some time later but still walking as quickly as they could. Both Jesslyn and Laurel were weak and tired, and the first thing they did was flag down a healer for help.

Jesslyn and Laurel were soon seperated for care, and Laurel said she would be back later after she had talked to Ohtaredan and Herebrand. Jesslyn's shoulder and back wounds were cared for first, but then the healers tended to her head wound and gave Jesslyn some sort of medicating tea for her fever and headache.

Jesslyn went through the care and medication with anxious acceptance, wanting everything to be over and done with. She knew that every minute she spent in the healing house was another moment that Cartil could be dying through. When was the last time anyone had seen Cartil? If it had been so long, or too long, perhaps it was already too late! Jesslyn hated feeling she was wasting her time in the healing house, and yet she knew she had to wait for the opportune time when everyone who could help was ready. But still Jesslyn knew that precious time was slipping away.
Old 08-05-2003, 09:41 PM   #159
Taralphiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Laurel was herded towards a bed by a nurse, but she stopped abruptly. 'Where is the soldier that Herebrand went to see?' 'Why, just over there Mi-' 'Take me there' she said rounghly, and leaned on her a slight as she moved towards them. The two soldiers were leaning by the mans bed, not saying a word...

~*~

'Captain...' he wheezed. His head was aching, and the pain in his leg was beyond his descrption. His Captain smiled wearily at him. 'Where is the rest of the army?' Herebrand said in a small voice.

He rubbed his temple and let out breath with effort. 'In...the forest...I think. They are lost my captain. That fool...he will not let them move. Too many wounded...' He stopped and looked at hos Captain, and saw his distress. 'How many are still alive?' 'A few hundred last time I knew Cap'n. There could be less now. They are not moving. He is a coward..' he said, and balled his fist, before moaning at the pain at his temple.

'They must be found Captain. They are lost'
Old 08-10-2003, 10:28 AM   #160
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynë

Pipe

Annanoldowen stood in the shadow cast by the arched window that blocked out the sun watching as the survivors were gathered, and the dead tallied. The wings now designated as hospitals held the few wounded that had survived the poison injected into their bodies at Annanoldowen’s hand. The elf wrapped her weary arms around her body and sighed. She had done all she could and gave the handful of nurses who helped her all the recipes and necessary ingredients to continue without her.

The silvery blue dress she had donned for the purpose of meeting an old friend was now in pathetic tatters. The sleeves had been pinned allowing Annanoldowen plenty of elbowroom as she attended her patients. Traces of washed out blood and even some vomit were on the skirt and the bodice was lopsided. Altogether her appearance wasn’t very admirable. She hadn’t had time to change and decided that now would be a good a time as any.

The attack upon the Swan House wasn’t as brutal as it may have seemed. Most of the inhabitants had taken up immediate sanctuary and avoided the wrath of the wild men. There were, thankfully, twice as many living as there were among the dead. The she-elf had gone over her options to action now in her head.

She could stay and offer her assistance as a nurse and even a swordswoman should a second attack be ensued upon the house. However, the most logical course of action would be to take up Taurawaa and ride to the village. Annanoldowen was very talented in the area of medicines but she was also gifted with politics and strategy. With Cartil in the hands of the wild men and with a second attack most likely on the way, things would have to move incredibly fast and the Rivendell elf would like to be involved.

Abandoning her place by the window she made her way through the house inquiring for Lady Taralphiel until one maid pointed her towards the garden. Annanoldowen looked out towards the magnificent yard and saw the Swan Lady speaking with Annunfuin. They looked to be in relatively deep conversation and the elf decided to change her clothes first. Her room on the third level had been untouched by the attack and her things were as they had been left. She discarded her dress and replaced it with the shirt, jerkin, pants and boots she had purchased in the village. Plaiting her hair down her back she took inventory of her bag. She still had a plentiful amount of medicines, the Swan House having most of the necessary herbs already.

Strapping her sword to her waist and slipping on her bag she walked briskly out to the gardens to tell Taralphiel of her decision to travel on to the village to help in the rescue of Cartil and the defensive plotting against a second attack.

As she reached Taralphiel and Annunfuin she bowed.

“It has come to my consciousness that I am no longer desperately needed here at the house. The half dozen maids in my wing had all but perfected the simple yet necessary methods of healing and the survivors are well in order preparing for a second ambush. The village most likely would welcome my assistance. I wanted to let you know before I just disappeared though and see if you objected.” Taralphiel blinked.

~*~*~

Gita finished her exploration of the town in two good hours, recording in her mind just how many villagers were left. Since hardly any were warriors, the wild men had killed all but three score and she had seen merely a dozen children. The assault had been very successful and the last raid would dispatch of the remaining villagers. It was sweet victory that met her eyes as she continued her assessment.

She was moving just out of the shadows of one house when she saw Laurel and a few others making their way down the street. Her breath caught in her throat and she dived back under cover to wait as they passed. Gita watched with flaring contempt as the Swan Lady limped away. What she wouldn’t give to decapitate that pretty little head of hers with the concealed dagger gripped in her left hand. The impulse almost got the best of her but they turned into a house just as she left the shadows, a wicked grin on her face. She cursed under her breath and turned down the opposite way back towards the camp to report her findings to the king. It would be an easy triumph.

Her hopes were dashed as she made her way through the woods. Voices and footsteps ahead warned her of a decent mass of people making their way through the village. From her position behind a gorse bush she witnessed the remains of the Rohirrm army en route to the village and their captain. Some were wounded but there were still a good many able bodied men that would certainly prove a great threat to the wild men if appropriately assembled.

Things seemed to go from bad to worse as she continued on towards camp, Cuor hot on her trail.

[ August 15, 2003: Message edited by: maikafanawen ]

[ August 20, 2003: Message edited by: maikafanawen ]