The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2018, 12:08 PM   #1
R.R.J Tolkien
Wight

R.R.J Tolkien has just left Hobbiton.
More of Hobbits in the History of Middle Earth?

So I am going to start reading the histories of middle earth and have read from a few sources that Tolkien originally had much more of the hobbits in the Lord of the Rings. But reviewers such as C.S Lewis thought it to much and he took some of those sections out wishing later that he had not, after the fans loved thew hobbits. SO my question is, do the histories include these aspects that were originally in his early drafts?

Thanks.
Old 05-04-2018, 12:27 PM   #2
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Volume 6 The Return of the Shadow and Vol. 7, The Treason of Isengard both have early drafts of the story of LOTR. The style and tone there is very reminiscent of The Hobbit.

If you're interested, I had a thread awhile back that somewhat explored that topic.
Old 05-04-2018, 12:42 PM   #3
R.R.J Tolkien
Wight

R.R.J Tolkien has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
Volume 6 The Return of the Shadow and Vol. 7, The Treason of Isengard both have early drafts of the story of LOTR. The style and tone there is very reminiscent of The Hobbit.

If you're interested, I had a thread awhile back that somewhat explored that topic.
Great, thanks. I will check out your thread.
Old 05-06-2018, 03:20 PM   #4
Findegil
King's Writer

Findegil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
There was as well the last chapter of Sam talking to his Elenaor about all the questions that his children had asked when he had read the Book to them. I think it is in volume 12 but it might as well be in volume 9.

Respectfully
Findegil
Findegil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 08:44 AM   #5
ArcusCalion
Quentingolmo

ArcusCalion has just left Hobbiton.
It's at the end of the first section of Volume 9, Sauron Defeated.
ArcusCalion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 10:35 AM   #6
Faramir Jones
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots Trotter

R.R.J Tolkien, when you asked if Tolkien 'originally had much more of the hobbits in the Lord of the Rings' which were later cut out, I thought at once of a hobbit called Trotter in the early drafts, found in Volume 6, who joined Frodo and the others at Bree, and who later became a Man called Strider, or Aragorn!
Faramir Jones is offline   Reply With Quote