The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2007, 08:06 AM   #1
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

narfforc has been trapped in the Barrow!
New Release DVDs

These are worth buying if you want to see scenes that never made it to Extended versions. Plenty of 'Behind the Scenes' footage not seen before, I sat transfixed through all three of them. My favourite piece is Gandalf in the pony and trap explaining to Frodo the name of a certain mountain in Sindarin then there's the...........................just buy them and watch, it has converted a sceptic into a fan.
Old 04-08-2007, 09:31 AM   #2
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Watch out for Sir Ian in a camp wig proclaiming Aragorn as ruler of Gondor with the words 'Now come the days of The Queen', remember it's only humour and there are lots of Merry and Pippin having fun with the cameras.
Old 04-08-2007, 11:48 AM   #3
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by narfforc
Watch out for Sir Ian in a camp wig proclaiming Aragorn as ruler of Gondor with the words 'Now come the days of The Queen', remember it's only humour and there are lots of Merry and Pippin having fun with the cameras.
I saw that one on a South Bank Show special about Sir Ian - I taped the show and had to stop watching it too often in case the tape snapped, it creased me up that much.

Are these worth the money then? If it's proper extra scenes then they might be! I read in SFX magazine they weren't that great and I was suspicious - I don't like all these endless documentaries about Weta - there's only so many times you can watch carpenters and computer programmers without going to find some matchsticks for your eyelids.
Old 04-08-2007, 12:19 PM   #4
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Hi Lal, yes there are lots of Weta men and Women in these DVDs, I have been at times a critic of the films as you well know however I have mellowed with the years, these new DVDs go a long way to explain why certain things are done in the way they are, I can accept many things if they are explained, what I dislike are things done for no reason/or an easy way to enthrall the a dull-wiited cinema audience.

My regards to you and Davem as always my friend.

Old 04-08-2007, 12:27 PM   #5
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Thumbs up

Cheers! How's Angband?

Have you seen the 'regular' Extended DVDs? I want to know if the new stuff is different!

Weird thing is I watch Doctor Who Confidential on Saturdays and the way they do their special effects is so much more interesting as it's more old fashioned - BBC can't afford huge budgets. I think the most interesting aspect of the film SFX was how they managed to make the Hobbits look small and that weird programme which 'created' CGI Orcs that behaved independently.

Is there much more about how they justified the changes they made then?
Old 04-08-2007, 12:54 PM   #6
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
I think I'm going to save my money for the thirtieth anniversary special extended hyper screen immersive sound edition which provides alternate plot sequences, such as the elves not being at Helm's Deep and Arwen not saving Frodo at the River and other emendations which will make the plot line more consistent with the prequel (ie, the book).

Bęthberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 01:26 PM   #7
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ha-ha-ha well said Beth, I have always thought we have been harvested for our desire, I am guilty of course of wanting more than more.
Old 04-15-2007, 12:34 AM   #8
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sorry Lal I didnt respond to your Question, the answer is yes, the extra bits are different. The Orc Cave is finished and holds lots of weapons of The Downfallen West along with my Library of Tolkien/and related books which I hope soon to include The Lord of the Grins or The Rotten Book of Wastemarsh along with my new projects The Halfbit or There or Therabouts and The Book of Failed Tales, this should keep me busy for some years, at least until I am more dead than now.

Last edited by narfforc; 04-15-2007 at 12:40 AM.
narfforc is offline   Reply With Quote