The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2007, 07:19 PM   #1
MatthewM
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MatthewM has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to MatthewM
Tolkien The Mistreatment and Disgrace of Imrahil

Not only do they reject Imrahil's important presence in the films, but look who they casted him as. A blond haired, scruffy looking mess. This guy looks like a slob. His demeanor is completely out of character. If you don't know who I'm talking about, it's the guy who says something along these lines after Faramir returns from Osgilith: "It is as the Lord Denethor predicted, long has he forseen this doom!"

I love the movies. But somethings just shouldn't have been. If you're not going to use Imrahil's character, don't represent him by some guy who looks nothing like he should. Opinions?

Last edited by MatthewM; 02-27-2007 at 07:23 PM.
MatthewM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 07:03 AM   #2
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Well, I and my sister have decided that the "scruffy looking mess" is not the Imrahil in the movies (after all, no one calls him that in the movies), but that the horse who drags Faramir to the city is the Imrahil of the movies. Much more noble, much better-looking (though I'm not into horses that way ) and much more like Imrahil in the books (if you look what he's doing: rescuing Faramir, not giving Denethor stupid advice).

Quote:
If you're not going to use Imrahil's character, don't represent him by some guy who looks nothing like he should.
I agree. Maybe they just needed a name for the character?
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 08:04 AM   #3
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Actually, I'm fairly sure that this chap being Imrahil was just an internet rumour. I seem to recall he was credited as "Iorlas", or something similar, so the vage resemblance of the names might have caused confusion.

It rather amuses me that Imrahil is missed so much more than Beregond. I mean, I agree, I think Imrahil's amazing, but Beregond is a rather more important character in terms of coverage, and interesting in that he's one of the few "commoners" we meet. And he's the link Tolkien chose to adopt in The New Shadow.
Old 02-28-2007, 05:14 PM   #4
MatthewM
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MatthewM has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to MatthewM
Tolkien

Well, I never said he was more important than Beregond, I like both of the characters the same to be honest. But no, that guy was supposed to be Imrahil. If you check out the playing card series (you can pull it up on eBay) that guy's picture is listed under the name "Imrahil".
Old 03-01-2007, 09:07 AM   #5
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I wouldn't worry about casting used in the merchandise. In the film the poor gormless blondie was cast as "Iorlas", who was mentioned in the book as Bergil's uncle, but played the role of that joker Gandalf talks to at the beginning of the book, called Inborn or something, I think.

The part is therefore pretty much canonical and has nothing to do with Imrahil. I don't think Tolkien would be rolling about in the old necropolis over it, to be honest.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:00 AM   #6
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I'm not seeing the name 'Imrahil' in the RotK IMDB cast list. And if Peter Jackson treats Gandalf and Gimli as seen, what hope would there be for such a minor character (i.e. like Eomer)?
Old 03-01-2007, 12:55 PM   #7
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield

That line is my favourite line in any film, and not just The Lord of the Rings films.

"LONG HAS HE FORESEEN THIS DOOM!"

Old 06-09-2007, 06:22 PM   #8
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Mattius has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eomer of the Rohirrim
That line is my favourite line in any film, and not just The Lord of the Rings films.

"LONG HAS HE FORESEEN THIS DOOM!"

It is up there with Bill Paxton in Aliens: "It's game over man, game over!"