The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2007, 09:41 AM   #1
MatthewM
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MatthewM has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to MatthewM
Tolkien Elven cloaks

Numerous times in The Lord of the Rings the elven cloaks worn by The Fellowship were described as grey. In the films, they most of the time appear green, sometimes grey, and even a bluish color.

I'm guessing PJ wanted to catch the variation of the cloak, as it mirrored grey and green? In my opinion they should have been more grey. What do you all think?
Old 07-25-2007, 10:31 PM   #2
FeRaL sHaDoW
Wight

FeRaL sHaDoW has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to FeRaL sHaDoW
wernt the cloaks meant to blend in with the nerby surroundings?
Old 07-26-2007, 09:55 AM   #3
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Shield

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeRaL sHaDoW View Post
wernt the cloaks meant to blend in with the nerby surroundings?
Indeed I was under the impression they were meant to blend in and help conceal the wearer. So when Gimli, Aragorn, and Legolas wore them on the plains of Rohan they would appear more green to match the grass and when Frodo wore it at the Black Gate it was more grey.

[QUOTE]"It was hard to say what colour they were: grey with the hue of twilight under the trees they seemed to be; yet if they were moved, or set in another light, they were green as shadowed leaves, or brown as fallow fields by night, dusk-silver as water under stars...'And you will find them a great aid in keeping out of the sight of unfriendly eyes, whether you walk among stones or the tree'"[QUOTE]

I'd say Jackson just took a more green-grey aspect to combine the two shades of cloaks most likely necessary traveling through stone and tree. Perhaps they should have been more grey since that was the initial color seen, but PJ could have also gone with brown or silver since both those were mentioned in regards to the cloak. I think the green-grey combination works quite well in the movies.
Old 08-02-2007, 02:52 PM   #4
MatthewM
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MatthewM has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to MatthewM
Tolkien

Nice post Kitanna, and thanks for supplying the quote. I do think they work very well with the movies, I just think maybe since grey was the first color mentioned, they should have been a little more grey. However, with all those beautiful descriptions of the cloak being 4 different colors, it could have very well been any of them, and it would be impossible to capture that description on film.
Old 08-04-2007, 01:24 PM   #5
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
Leaf

I think it was fine because the cloaks were meant to change to the color of the surroundings.
Well thats my thought anyway, anyone want to differ?