The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2007, 08:02 PM   #1
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Knight of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Knight of Gondor
RotK Complete Recordings: November 6, 2007

If you're like me and adore Howard Shore's magnificent score for the film trilogy (regardless of how you judge Peter Jackson), you've been looking forward to the Return of the King: The Complete Recordings musical release for a while now.

I was searching for news of this very thing just a few weeks ago, and checked again today to find that, oh happy day, the Complete Recordings will release November 3, 2007!

The original soundtrack release was pretty good, but missed almost all of the crucial cues, such as the Ride of the Rohirrim, and the Battle of the Black Gate (IE, "For Frodo.") Happily, we have but another month and some change before the soundtrack releases.
Eagerly awaiting the REAL Return of the King - Jesus Christ! Revelation 19:11-16
Knight of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 08:39 AM   #2
Elladan and Elrohir
Shade of Carn Dūm

Elladan and Elrohir has just left Hobbiton.
Well, I wouldn't say it missed nearly all of the crucial cues, but yeah, an OST-sized album is going to miss a lot of significant stuff. Especially when it's Howard Shore's Return of the King.

The first two Complete Recordings are spectacular and if you like the music or just want to sit back and listen to the brilliant work of a master in thematic development, they are a must-have.

Each set features three CDs (well, four for ROTK, because there's so much more material) and a DVD with the entire score in surround sound (insert hyperventilating in excitement here). They also feature some amazing liner notes by Doug Adams, who does an outstanding job of explaining the intricacies and relationships within Shore's score. Adams is writing a book called The Music of The Lord of the Rings, which is set to release sometime next year and will also feature a disc of rarities.

Cannot wait to get my hands on ROTK:CR, though it'll be a while; not in November, for sure. I can wait, though. It's gonna be incredible.

THE HOBBIT - IT'S COMING
Elladan and Elrohir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 01:49 PM   #3
Sir Kohran
Wight

Sir Kohran has just left Hobbiton.
This should be good I was always disappointed that the original ROTK CD skipped so much of the movie music; so finally being able to hear stuff like the Fellowship theme that plays during Gandalf and Pippin's fighting on the wall or the battle music on the Pelennor or the music as Sam returns home will be great.
Old 09-26-2007, 03:57 PM   #4
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Thumbs up

Meh. I didn't even know these were out! So cheers for bringing it up. I shall get these I think because the music was something I really enjoyed in the films.

Wonder if they'll do a 'collected set'?
Old 09-26-2007, 07:17 PM   #5
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Knight of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Knight of Gondor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendė View Post
Meh. I didn't even know these were out! So cheers for bringing it up. I shall get these I think because the music was something I really enjoyed in the films.

Wonder if they'll do a 'collected set'?
If they did, it would be mighty expensive! But I'm sure if they can find a way of making more money...
Eagerly awaiting the REAL Return of the King - Jesus Christ! Revelation 19:11-16
Knight of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 01:05 AM   #6
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
Even if it did cost a fortune for it, I would still buy a combined pack of the complete collection of the LotR music... ohhh the pain of waiting a whole like two months for music... it's time to listen to my soundtrack that is not the complete collection again!
Old 10-02-2007, 02:54 PM   #7
Elladan and Elrohir
Shade of Carn Dūm

ROTK will be the best of the bunch, I'm certain. It builds upon FOTR and TTT to reach a height that would have otherwise been unattainable. I shiver thinking about the final development and interaction of the many themes. Shore is an unparalleled master at this. Who else would have had the concept of playing a theme one time in the first movie, on a solo French horn, and then bringing it back with elaborate orchestration in the third? Shore does it with not one but two themes - The Realm of Gondor, and Minas Tirith.

There was an outstanding Track-by-Track discussion of the OSTs in the Novices and Newcomers forum a couple years ago; I wish there were enough CR owners out there to do one for the Complete Recordings as well. Ah well; at this point I'll be happy if I get ROTK:CR by Christmas!

THE HOBBIT - IT'S COMING
Old 10-03-2007, 08:09 PM   #8
MatthewM
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MatthewM has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to MatthewM
Thumbs up

Looking forward to this!
Old 10-03-2007, 08:25 PM   #9
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Shield

I've been waiting for this. I like the first two soundtracks, but neglected to buy the complete recordings, but ROTK is by far my favorite score. Any idea how much this will be? The other two were rather expensive, I imagine this one will be as well.
Old 10-04-2007, 02:55 PM   #10
Elladan and Elrohir
Shade of Carn Dūm

The list price is $74.98, which amazingly is the same as TTT:CR (EDIT: I say amazingly because TTT has one fewer CD). If you're interested in preordering, you might check out moviemusic.com, which offers it for $59.99. Considering you get five discs (4 CDs + 1 DVD), forty-something pages of liner notes, and a handsome packaging, all for one of the greatest film scores of all time, I'd call it a bargain.

THE HOBBIT - IT'S COMING

Last edited by Elladan and Elrohir; 10-04-2007 at 02:56 PM. Reason: Clarifying the "amazingly"; important word, that.