The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2006, 04:53 PM   #81
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
White Tree

davem, or you're just like me and I just gave up a long time ago and shake my head yes to whatever you have to say.

Welcome to the forum Goldberry and I agree. I don't think Tolkien would have made a good director (especially now adays) looking at his stance on certain quarrels he had with Zimmerman's screenplay...but I think it's clear that Tolkien would have had issues with many things PJ did, several of them which he criticized Zimmerman for doing.
Old 05-31-2006, 11:36 AM   #82
ninja91
Shade of Carn Dûm

ninja91 has just left Hobbiton.
I think not. Tolkien would not mind if the movie portrayed the images differently than what he had in mind, because everyone gets a slightly different view. It would be impossible for it to be exactly right, unless Tolkien himself had filmed it.
Plus, how could it be insulting? The beautiful scenery and the spectacular interactions of the characters were too rich and fulfilling to be "insulted" by.
Also, Christopher Tolkien did not bash the movies, did he?
The rider was robed all in black, and black was his lofty helm; yet this was no Ringwraith but a living man. The Lieutenant of the Tower of Barad-dûr he was, and his name is remembered in no tale; for he himself had forgotten it...
ninja91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 02:07 PM   #83
ArathorofBarahir
Wight

ArathorofBarahir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I don't think he would have been insulted, however, I think disappointed would be a better to describe the way he would have felt. Middle Earth was his creation, so I think he would be a little disappointed that he didn't live long enough to be able to oversee the making of these movies. However, I think Peter Jackson did a good job and stayed as faithful as he could, but there was no way you could take the Lord of the Rings the book and film it and be one hundred percent faithful, it would have been impossible.
Old 06-01-2006, 07:09 PM   #84
Ryan_Wizard_Prince

Sting Well I don't Know

Insulted no Tolkein Appreiciates creativity and what Peter Jackson and Weta Digital did was definetly creative.
Old 11-24-2007, 01:27 PM   #85
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Peter Jackson did an amazing job with the creation of the movies. He made it interesting, by adding his own point of view, but still held to the story line of the books.