The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2005, 09:15 PM   #41
Enorëiel
Wight

Enorëiel has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
You read the books in two weeks? Wow! I suggest you read them again for surely you will find stuff you missed the first time through, or may see things differently. I have yet to tire of reading them!
Okay... I exagerated just a wee bit. I read FOTR and TTT before I saw the next film (TTT) And not to worry I have reread them since. I am currently in ROTK my third time through

Whoever said "Nothing is impossible" never tried to slam a revolving door.
Enorëiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 03:20 PM   #42
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
I am a Movie Recruit on my way to being a Edain New-School Book Fan. I saw FotR read all three books in about 3-4 weeks(I was completely addicted) then I read the Hobbit probably about a week after seing TTT. I'm about half way through the Sil. Too much homework not enough time to read.
Old 02-25-2005, 04:11 PM   #43
ninlaith
Wight

ninlaith has just left Hobbiton.
I think I'm a mixture of the first and second. I'm not too picky but picky enough. I'm that one that would sit with you watching the movies and be like "Oh why did they leave that out!!!" "why did they add that!!" "What's going on!!" "Why would they do that!!"...something to that extent. I read the books a long time before i saw the movies. Maybe that wasn't such a good idea.
Old 02-28-2005, 12:39 PM   #44
Shuki

Well, I was a fan long before the film are coming.
I read the books in the 80 and from these moment on, I saw middle-earht all around me und feel a little Hobbit in my soul
But also I love the films, twoo. Most everything is like in my fantasy, exspecialy the places...
Old 02-28-2005, 03:49 PM   #45
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I suppose I would be Fan #1...until I saw TTT then I moved to #3 now I'm slowly getting to #2...I am however #4..in drama class for my Audition I sang theoden's warsong ...I used a brrom as my spear
Old 04-02-2007, 05:44 PM   #46
Snowdog
Emperor of the South Pole

Snowdog is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Had to fix the link in the first post as they moved their archives.
Snowdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 01:24 PM   #47
Elfchick7
Wight

Elfchick7 has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Well, I grew up watching the cartoons but I didn't really think much about it.

So I guess I'm a movie recruit. I heard the movies were coming out so the month before the FOTR release I read the Hobbit and the LOTR. I wanted to be able to give educated opinions on the movies.

Since then I have read LOTR four times and have read the Sil 1&1/2 times
Old 04-03-2007, 04:50 PM   #48
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
First Born, would have been an Old-School Book Fan, but I wasn't born until '79!

Although I might not be a totally pure book fan, so to speak, since I had an audio recording of the Rankin-Bass "Hobbit" back in '82 (a 45!) - though I didn't see the movie before first reading "The Hobbit" in '85 and LOTR in '87.

Now, as for the first question - definitely #2; code yellow "Tolkien Fanatic", but by now I've decided, overall, I like the movies.
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 01:37 PM   #49
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
Pipe

I suppose I am a PJ recruit. I suppose people will look down on me now. But that was probably because the movies did not come out until I was five since I am 13 now...and I only just read the books two months ago. I read them in five days and have sorta re read them.

Last edited by TheGreatElvenWarrior; 08-04-2007 at 01:43 PM. Reason: adding
TheGreatElvenWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 12:33 PM   #50
sallkid
Animated Skeleton

sallkid has just left Hobbiton.
I'd like to say I'm pre-Sil by Proxy, as i was introduced to the LOTR by my father who would have read it pre-Sil and took no interest in the Sil (I likewise took no interest in the Sil until long after i'd read the Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings, and my copy of the Lord Of The Rings is a pre-Sil edition.

But as age goes I'm post Sil, despite to this day not having read it.
sallkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 12:59 PM   #51
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

As far as the movies are concerned, I was this sort of fan:

#4 CODE: Get this kid some therapy - "The Raving Lunatic"

Yes, I had.....that is, have.....an Elven sword

Old 08-06-2007, 01:32 PM   #52
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
Sting

Quote:
Originally Posted by piosenniel View Post
As far as the movies are concerned, I was this sort of fan:

#4 CODE: Get this kid some therapy - "The Raving Lunatic"

Yes, I had.....that is, have.....an Elven sword

You have an Elven sword? OOOOOOHHHHH I wants it.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:16 AM   #53
Thenamir
Spectre of Capitalism

Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
I am among the last of the Old School Book Fans, as I read The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings just bare months before The Silmarillion was released. I found The Sil hard going, and gave it up halfway through (not finishing it until about 4 years ago), but read and re-read TH and LOTR, perusing fan BBS and the Internet when it became available, reading movie rumors (oh, the endless debates on who should play Gandalf...Sean Connery being the much-hailed-and-derided favorite) and balrog wing discussions.

The real announcement of a real movie (which I read first on Ain't It Cool News) refueled my interest. I ended up being strongly influenced by the movies, but revere the books alone as canon, of course.

Oddly, I find myself standing almost in the exact center of the movies-versus-books road, and suffering the slings and arrows from cars on both lanes. "I love the books, I love the movies, they're two different things, why can't we all just get along?"

<Thenamir ducks as another salvo of sharp, pointy objects is hurled his way...>
Old 08-07-2007, 10:21 AM   #54
Thenamir
Spectre of Capitalism

Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Oh, as far as the movies were concerned, check this photo of me and my lovely wife just before the release of TTT. I think this makes me A Raving Lunatic. And yes, that is Glamdring in my hand.
Old 08-07-2007, 01:59 PM   #55
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Oh does that ever beg for a Crazy Caption...

"Um, Celebrimbor, do you think you could help me? You see I was messing about with Glamdring and there was this big lump of cheese...and they kind of got stuck..."
Old 11-22-2007, 01:19 PM   #56
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lindale has just left Hobbiton.
A literal pre-book. I saw an article comparing the movie versions of HP1 and FotR sometime during my tenth or eleventh year. And then, I pestered my parents to buy me the book. The Christmas that followed, FotR was playing. I read Silm three years later, during my high school.

I wasn't even alive when the First-born thingys here were happening!

Legal Madness.
Lindale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 08:15 PM   #57
Galendor
Haunting Spirit

Galendor has just left Hobbiton.
I'm a first-born or prodigal first-born. Read The Hobbit many times starting at age ten in 1980, then moved on to read LOTR as a teenager. Since then I have re-read them several times. However, I have never read any other works by Tolkien (a serious deficiency in my education, I know).

So, like many here I went to see the movies with preconcieved notions on how characters should look and act, and approached the Jackson movies with great anxiety and trepidation (and hope!) over what Hollywood might do to the story. I loved FOTR, I felt it was very close to Tolkiens books. I was less pleased with the 2nd two movies, where deviations from the books (and silly, pointless dwarf jokes, etc) became more prominent. Like several here, I did not mind omissions of characters and events (since this is necessary to fit within a movie length) but I did not appreciate the insertion of new events, and the previosuly mentioned base humor apparently inserted in attempt to get a cheap laugh (such as: "Nobody tosses a dwarf!" Gimli.
Old 11-23-2007, 09:55 PM   #58
William Cloud Hicklin
Loremaster of Annúminas

William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Ah, children!

I can't claim to be a genuine Old-line Bookie (that's reserved to those who read LR in the First Edition)- but I did read it in the (brand-new) paperbacks with the ghastly red-and-blue Barbara Remington covers- and again and again until they fell apart. I wrote to Christopher Tolkien two years before The Silmarillion appeared asking questions about it. I digested all of UT and HME as they came out: all, of course, well before the movies.

So it's fair to say that the movies were not my introduction to Middle-earth....
Old 11-23-2007, 11:01 PM   #59
Galendor
Haunting Spirit

P.S. as a kid, I had a larger "coffee table" The Hobbit book that was full of glossy color illustrations that look similar or the same as the Rankin/Bass cartoons. It did strongly influence my mental images of Middle Earth. I wish I had that same book now - I think I'll go look for it on the internet!
Old 11-24-2007, 09:05 AM   #60
Sauron the White
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sauron the White has just left Hobbiton.
Galendor .. that coffee table HOBBIT was produced by Abrams - one of the premier publishers of such fare. It sounds like you have lots of childhood memories interwoven with that particular book. Speaking for myself, I did care much for either the style of illustrations or the quality of the animation. But then, I was no child when it came out so I do not have the wonderful associations with it that you seem to have.

here is one being sold now on ebay for a decent price

http://cgi.ebay.com/The-Hobbit-HC-by...QQcmdZViewItem
Sauron the White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 10:51 AM   #61
Galendor
Haunting Spirit

That IS it - thank you very much, Sauron the White! I may bid on it (I wish they took Paypal), but if not at least now I know what to look for. I must have read that book 20 times. Those fanciful and somewhat childish illustrations definitiely became imprinted on my young brain. When I envision Beorn, Bard, Thorin, etc. I still see those illustrations. But those illustrations somehow didn't transfer very well to LOTR - once I read it I began to see the characters more as real people, not cartoon characters. If memory serves, the Rankin/Bass elves were particulary silly-looking, with pointy sock-like feet!
Old 11-27-2007, 09:41 AM   #62
Azaelia of Willowbottom
Shade of Carn Dûm

Azaelia of Willowbottom has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Azaelia of Willowbottom
Silmaril

I'm somewhere between a First-born and a pre-movie book fan. Not quite sure where I stand.

I attempted to read LOTR first in late 2000-early 2001, between the ages of 12 and 13. I'd noticed some of my classmates were doing so, and I thought the covers were interesting. I was a big Star Wars geek, and I was looking for an action-packed story. I didn't find it, and halted only a couple pages from the end of FOTR. I did, however, have a sense that there was a larger picture, something I was failing to grasp for whatever reason, and that I should absolutely come back to LOTR.

I then proceeded to mostly forget about it, until seeing the preview for FOTR in early November 2001, almost a year later. By then, I was fast approaching 14. I decided that NOW was the time to go back and attempt LOTR again. Someone expressed surprise over a 2-week read. I spent the majority of Veteran's Day weekend on the couch, reading. It took me 3 days. I was hooked. Over the course of the next few months, I read it 6 times or so, before attempting to limit myself to the traditional single read once a year. I've been here pretty much ever since.

As to the comic, I believe I fit into the sword-waving category the best...hahaha. I was in full hobbit costume for both TTT and ROTK. What can I say? I'm a theater kid. Any excuse to go out in public in costume is a good one, LOTR doubly so.
Old 11-28-2007, 03:07 PM   #63
Sir Kohran
Wight

Sir Kohran has just left Hobbiton.
Definitely a movie recruit. I read the books through 2002 and early 2003. It was a life changing period.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:42 PM   #64
Alonna
Animated Skeleton

Alonna has just left Hobbiton.
If PJ had never made the movies, I doubt I ever would have picked up the books. I saw the Bakshi cartoon when I was young and thought it was the worst thing I'd ever seen. I refused to even consider reading the books because I assumed they were just like the cartoon. After FOTR came out, one of my friends managed to convince me to give it a chance. The film completely wiped away the memories of Bakshi and got me to read the books.
Alonna is offline   Reply With Quote