The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2004, 10:51 AM   #81
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
1420!

Quote:
Ditto that. In fact, Boromir's cave troll line is one of my favourite lines in the films. Cheeze varies from person to person, evidently.
Saphy, I found it very fitting for Boromir. Not only is the line fitting for Boromir, but the way Sean Bean says it, makes you think of the Boromir in the books. "Great, they have a cave troll."

Maybe, that's why some people would consider Legolas' lines "cheesy," because Mr. Bloom has the same accent for a pirate, an elf, and a Greek Warrior .

I would suggest that it's not necessarily the line that is the cheesy part, but maybe just how the actors say it?
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 01:55 PM   #82
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
I would suggest that it's not necessarily the line that is the cheesy part, but maybe just how the actors say it?
I would say yes. For instance, almost everything that Gandalf said was wonderful, in many cases favorite passages from the book. Yet his...style, his accent was all wrong, and it made him sound pretentious and overly grand. Maybe it's his Shakespearian theater training, I don't know.

On the positive side, I always love the exchange between Grima and Eowyn at the deathbed of Theodred. Grima's "Cold spring" dialogue is almost cheesy at the time, yet the way he says it redeems it.
And then the reply from Eowyn. "Your words are poison." Any other style of speaking those words would have just broken the mood. Miranda Otto found the absolute perfect way to say it. That's probably the only thing I like about TTT.

I haven't seen the RotK EE yet, can you believe it? That's what you get for having a birthday so close to Christmas.

But from the TTT EE, there is this that galls me:
"You still speak in riddles, hn-hn-henhh." ~Aragorn

And Gandalf's speech a little later on about Sauron fearing Aragorn, it just sounds like he's trying to get it out as fast as he can. It's annoying and cheezy.

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 02:13 PM   #83
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

*green* Good point about Orli, Boromir88.

I definitely agree with Boro and Oddwen about the line delivery affecting (or is that effecting? ) the cheeziness of a particular quote.

On that note, do you think that, had someone else been chosen to play Legolas, would he not have seemed to be as much of a Captain Obvious?

Abedithon le,

~ Saphy ~
Old 12-17-2004, 03:36 PM   #84
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
1420!

Quote:
On that note, do you think that, had someone else been chosen to play Legolas, would he not have seemed to be as much of a Captain Obvious?
I think any person with the line "A diversion" would sound like a Captain Obvious, it just so happens Mr. Bloom was the unfortunate one. Even Sean Connery, who is my personal favorite, and one of the best actors of all time, would seem like Captain Obvious with that line .
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 10:08 AM   #85
Frodo Baggins
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Frodo Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Palantir-Green

Yes well, actually The scene in Rotk when Elrond is prodding Arwen forward and about to burst into tears quite moving. I think he whispers "Go to him." However, when Aragorn and Arwen are trying to "eat each other" and Aragorn is shoving his tongue down her throat is just soo cheesy and ...ick. I doubt Tolkien would have approved of elves or men french-kissing in public.

the chessiest line in the WHOLE trilogy?

Legolas: "A Diversion!" DUH!!!

oh and Legolas is not the only captiain obvious, take this line.

Elrond: I looked into you future and I saw death.

Any idiot knows she's gonna die.
Old 12-19-2004, 03:02 PM   #86
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Wow, I really loved Gollum's little rhyme at shelob's lair. It's just so creepy to me. Ya, it's not shakespearian poetry, but it's not supposed to be.

There arn't really any lines I hate. A few make me laugh and others that sort of grate on my nerves but I still enjoy them.

With one exeption:

I, in any film am turned off by slow motion. It just seems too melodramatic to me. Many of the scenes in the LotR movies pull this off fairly well if not brilliantly (i.e. Boromir's death). However the one scene that just goes over the edge is when Frodo sends Sam away. Sam is offering to take the ring and the scene goes into slow mo:

Sam: shaaaaaaaaaaaare............theeeeeeeee........loa aaaaaaaaaaad.......

IT'S SO CHEESY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I can't even stand it. I always have to fast forward through it even though it only takes a few seconds. To me it's just cheesy to insanity. And of course it's topped off by a major plot deviation.

So personally, I'd have to crown that as the king of cheesy lines.
Old 12-20-2004, 12:29 PM   #87
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose Cotton
Wow, I really loved Gollum's little rhyme at shelob's lair. It's just so creepy to me. Ya, it's not shakespearian poetry, but it's not supposed to be.
Nothing at all against the scene. I just found it a little...odd. Now, if Blues Man Gollum had shown up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose Cotton
Sam is offering to take the ring and the scene goes into slow mo:

Sam: shaaaaaaaaaaaare............theeeeeeeee........loa aaaaaaaaaaad.......

IT'S SO CHEESY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I can't even stand it. I always have to fast forward through it even though it only takes a few seconds. To me it's just cheesy to insanity. And of course it's topped off by a major plot deviation.

So personally, I'd have to crown that as the king of cheesy lines.
Ah! I can't believe no one had mentioned that before! I completely agree with you; I can't stand that part. Not only the slomo, it also does that echo-y thing. *cringes* Quite bad. I second your crowning.

Abedithon le,

~ Saphy ~
Old 12-20-2004, 02:58 PM   #88
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Silmaril

I would have to third the crowning if it weren't for what is possibly my favorite line to hate:

"Looks like meat's back on the menu boys!"
*bangs head on desk*
Old 12-24-2004, 10:14 PM   #89
Vanwatholiel

Location: In a dark corner of my mind. Don't look at me like that! I never liked you anyway. Stop staring!
Vanwatholiel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Vanwatholiel
Silmaril *Gawd*

Ya, ya, I was very mean back there. And I am officially apologizing for such...unnecessary meaness. I'm so sorry. But I did mean it. I meant every word. Except for calling you guys cheesy. That was just twisted and wrong. I was just having one of those days, you know? Anyway, I'm sorry, and I love everyone! Just kidding. But Merry Christmas!!! And Happy Holidays!
Vanwatholiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 11:29 PM   #90
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Share the Cheeeeze...

The thing that makes Sam's slo-mo "Share the Load" line even cheezier is the horrified way Frodo is looking at him when he says it, and the close up on Sean Astin's obvious stubble (NOT a hobbit!), as if Frodo can't believe Sam is a) saying something so cheezy and b) that he has stubble . That was...TOO CLOSE!

Another big slice of cheese from Cirith Ungol is "It's sticky..what is it?" Real teenage horror movie dupe stuff...here is Frodo...obvious victim of the dark nameless horror. But this directorial Captain Obvious stunt is overwhelmed by the sheer hilarity of the "sticky" line. Gollum's child-demon horror movie singsong is yet another element of "let's make this whole Shelob's Lair sequence into a late 1970's horror movie! I also find the way Frodo is obviously staring hard when Sam is holding him after Frodo has become a spider eggroll to be strangely amusing as well. It makes me think that there was a particularly funny joke that Elijah has to keep trying hard to forget in order to keep a straight face.

Quote:
one of the scenes that I found cheesy was Gandalf and Pippin's discussion on the afterlife in Gondor. I didn't realise, until someone on here pointed it out, that those lines were actually genuine Tolkien.
But they were quoted out of context, and were not in keeping with Tolkien's ideology - Pippin, as a mortal, had a fate after death unknown to any other than Eru. The final "that's not so bad, is it?" was a bit wincey.
Indeed, I thought that Gandalf was being horribly cruel to the little hobbit, as Pippin would NEVER see this particular end, and Gandalf was just teasing! And what was with Gandalf saying "death is a road we all must take?" I'm sure he didn't want to go into the immortality of the Elves and all that, especially not with Pippin's endlessly inquisitive nature, but it would have been cute if Pippin just started quizzing him then and there...

Cheers!
Lyta

P.S. Must give Boromir a thumbs up for the Cave Troll line...so much conveyed in so few words!
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004, 12:43 PM   #91
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Evisse the Blue has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Yahoo to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Skype™ to Evisse the Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elianna
"I am happy for you. He is an honorable man." - Théoden, TTT
This line shall forever remind me of Shakespeare's Julius Caesar, when Brutus is being referred to as 'an honourable man'... It's like I expect Bernard Hill to go on reciting that entire monologue...

But indeed one persons's cheese is another dessert, because there are few things I look forward to more while watching FOTR than Boromir's "They have a cave troll' line. I especially like the way he drawls the last bit: "They have a caaave troll." Very dry humour there: A mere stating of the facts, no fear, no surprise.
And, despite my general dissapointment with the extended edition of ROTK I love the Aragorn - Corsair of Umbar interaction, especially the "This army' line. I think it's very funny, considering how the army was invisible to their eyes before this and then suddenly it comes to sweep them to the ground.

One of the exhanges of dialogue that I cringe at is when Legolas says to Gimli that 'He was twitching' after shooting the orc beneath Gimli, at which he replies that "He's twitching because he's got my axe in his nervous system'. Whoa, Gimli had knowledge of anatomy that would have left the entire population of Middle Earth (and Valinor) gaping in awe. He was waaay ahead of his time....

Gimli's lines long before the end of movie three were corny because you knew from past experience that everytime the dwarf opened his mouth there would be a joke, more or less funny. So it was a sort of 'enough with the cracks already; can't you be anything other than the tom-fool of the fellowship' kind of feeling everytime you heard him speak.
Old 12-26-2004, 06:46 PM   #92
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
EE material, the Orc slavedriver:
"Doooon't yeeew know we're at woowahhh???"
That's just so cringeworthy. Especially the closeup. *cringe*

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 05:12 PM   #93
Vanwatholiel

Location: In a dark corner of my mind. Don't look at me like that! I never liked you anyway. Stop staring!
Silmaril

Quote* Doooon't yeeew know we're at woowahhh???"
That's just so cringeworthy. Especially the closeup. *cringe Quote*

That was very funny. The way you draw it out...*tears* It's not really a line but an action that makes even me grimace. As big as a Leggy Bopper as I am, even I have to say this was a bit too much: when Leggy grabs an orc shield and slides down the stairs shooting arrows. TT I mean, come on! I know Elves are superior and all, but geez! I am a traitor to the Leggy loving society. *cries uncontrollaby* Help! But still, I just had to say something. Oh, and when Eowyn says "I am no man!" ROTK I mean, Duh! okay, I'm done. Woo and Hoo!
Old 01-23-2005, 07:00 PM   #94
Assasin
Wight

Assasin has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I hate it when Legolas makes all his odd little comments like:
"A red sun rises, blood has been spilled this night."
I mean, DUH. Someone could have gotten a paper cut, and blood would be spilled. I love it in the extended version of RotK when he says:
"I feel a faint tingling in my fingers, I think it's affecting me!"
Then Eomer looks at him like, whoosh, yah, no duh, it affected you, that's why you're acting so loopy. The animation Hobbit is a horror movie, I don't know how much longer I could have taken the dwarf singing!
Assasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 12:12 AM   #95
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Dwarf-Gaffs

Quote:
Gimli's lines long before the end of movie three were corny because you knew from past experience that everytime the dwarf opened his mouth there would be a joke, more or less funny. So it was a sort of 'enough with the cracks already; can't you be anything other than the tom-fool of the fellowship' kind of feeling everytime you heard him speak.
The Gimli line that really makes me cringe is the "Let him stay there; let him rot! Why should we care?" line as he sits smoking in Minas Tirith in ROTK. Did you forget why you came out this way, Gimli, dear? Did you forget that there are two little hobbits trying to get through all those orcs rotting in Mordor with the IMPORTANT OBJECT that is the reason for the whole journey? That went beyond "joking" and into the realm of true emptyhead! Or is it just me; I'm sure this was an obvious segue into Aragorn's necessary exposition to follow, but it didn't make Gimli look very good at all!

Cheers!
Lyta
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 01:22 AM   #96
Assasin
Wight

Tolkien

It's not just you. I think in one of the battles, he got hit too hard on the head. Maybe they show it in one of the movies. I also wonder about the time he said, "He was twitching, because he's got my ax embedded into his nervous system!"
Did they even know about nervous systems back then? Later.
Assasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 09:55 AM   #97
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Essex has just left Hobbiton.
what, they didn't know something about the internal workings of the human (or orc) body, but, for example, they were able to make someone invisible and make time run slower?
Essex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 03:01 PM   #98
Assasin
Wight

Tolkien

What can I say? They're magic geeks.
Old 01-27-2005, 09:32 PM   #99
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Shield

What a wonderous thread this is! Just thinking about some of the lines people have mentioned makes me laugh uncontrolably.
There really are tons of cheezy lines thrown about the movies. Practically everything Legolas says. And then Aragorn gets a few in there. Like in TTT when they first go into Fangorn and Legolas says the White Wizard is near and Aragorn says "Do not let him speak, he will cast a spell on us" (or something like that) well duh future king! What else would a wizard do?
"They have a cave troll." And look they brought tupperware too!
But one of the cheesiest things in ROTK gets me laughing every time. When Frodo wakes up and sees Gandalf and then he has that laugh! Then as the people come into his room he says their name (with the exception of the hobbits) but not Legolas. Legolas comes in and Frodo just kinda smiles, but says nothing. It's like "Hey you, blond guy..."
My final cheestastic thing is Arwen. When she's trying to get Elrond to reforge the sword and she is holding that book and it just slips from her fingers. No offense to anyone who finds that a worthy scene, but is that what happens when you give away your immortal life? You lose the ability to hold onto to anything?
Old 01-29-2005, 10:31 AM   #100
Shelob
Shade of Carn Dûm

Shelob has just left Hobbiton.
originally Posted by Assasin
Quote:
I hate it when Legolas makes all his odd little comments like:
"A red sun rises, blood has been spilled this night."
I mean, DUH. Someone could have gotten a paper cut, and blood would be spilled.
That never botherd me because I always assumed it was a variation of the rhyme

"Red sky at night
Sailor's delight
Red sky at morning
Sailor take warning"

And you're all right about Shelob's lair being rather cheesy,and that really rather irks me (three guesses why ), but I don't think anyone has yet mentioned the part when Frodo holds up the Light, fully expecting Shelob (well...something...he doesn't know what to expect) to be infront of him and, after a moments pause, you hear/see her behind him. THAT was pretty cheesy(and yes not really a line but I'm counting what Fodo says to light the Light, I just can't remember/spell/find it), but also one of my favorite scenes because it's so perfectly timed and so funny.
Old 01-30-2005, 02:19 AM   #101
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
I have to agree, this is a brilliant thread

I am somebody who absolutely loves the films, but, yes the lines can get intensely cheesy at times (I was absolutely shocked when they won Best Adapted Screenplay last year)

All of my favorites have been said, I too especially love many of Legolas' "Mr. Obvious" lines
I don't know if I can quote this exactly, but one that especially bothers me is when he says "the stars are veiled", and you can obviously see the stars clearly shining in the background

I don't really know if that is a cheesy line and not a movie mistake, but he is always stuck stating the obvious, and poor Gimli too, but, carry on
Old 01-30-2005, 06:41 AM   #102
Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Scent of Simbelmynë

Sophia the Thunder Mistress has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sophia the Thunder Mistress
not a line, but...

In TTT, during the warg attack, Legolas grabs onto a horse by its saddle and swings himself up (feet over head) onto its back.

Captain Obvious meets Captain Gymnastics.
The seasons fall like silver swords, the years rush ever onward; and soon I sail, to leave this world, these lands where I have wander'd. O Elbereth! O Queen who dwells beyond the Western Seas, spare me yet a little time 'ere white ships come for me!
Sophia the Thunder Mistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 06:52 AM   #103
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Actually, Sophia, twenty years ago I had a friend who could do something similar mounting her barrel-racer. Very impressive.
Old 01-31-2005, 01:16 AM   #104
Assasin
Wight

Tolkien

I thought that was cool. Gimli probably suffers from self esteem issues, around Leggy, who wouldn't?
Old 01-31-2005, 10:15 PM   #105
Lathriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Wandering through Middle-Earth (Sadly in Alberta and not ME)
Lathriel has just left Hobbiton.
Captain obvious has a purpose. He needs to state the obvious for those dim witted audience members that are watching. People who still haven't gotten it yet. Thank goodness for Legolas who helps them through the movie they would have trouble understandign without him.
Besides I like some of his lines. "A red sun rises.." I like that line cause I myself look at the sunrise while going to school and I too think of what will happen that day according to the colour of the sunrise. I know it does sound a little weird,but it goes to show you Leggy isn't the only one.

Also some quotes mentioned are actually straight from the book. For example the dialogue between Sam and Frodo about their story being put into stories and "Frodo wouldn't have gne far without Sam" That is straight from the book as is Legolas's line, "That is one of the mearas unless my eyes are cheated by some spell. One last example, "Why can't Merry fight for those he loves." is also a quote taken from the book(If a little reshaped)

Also the dialogue between Pippin and Gandalf about death is beautiful. I hold that speech close to my heart. I am not afraid of many things but if I fear one thing it is death and what comes after. So that speech is very re-assuring and puts my heart at ease while bringing tears to my eyes.

However, even I think there are some cheesy lines and Saucepan man I also thought Eowyn said Rick Cottontree untill I put on the captions because I knew I must be hearing things wrongly.

Quote:
By the time we get 10 pages we should have the whole script here.
AGREED. (Though it is kinda sad)

GOSH you guys are very harsh.

Last edited by Lathriel; 01-31-2005 at 10:20 PM.
Lathriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 07:24 AM   #106
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Evisse the Blue has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Yahoo to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Skype™ to Evisse the Blue
I also like the "A red sun rises" line. I think some of you guys are biased against Legolas, with him having uttered so many 'obvious' lines. If it were Gandalf you would have been less likely to mention this as a cheesy line. Like Shelob wisely mentioned there's that little rhyme to support it, and also, that line is in the book, spoken by Legolas in approximately the same circumstances. There, there *pats line* nobody's gonna pick on you anymore now
Old 02-01-2005, 03:40 PM   #107
Assasin
Wight

Tolkien

I'm not Leggy biased. I'm just bothered by a couple of his lines, that's all. I think every "good" movie/show needs a Mr. Obvious. Like Lathriel said, it helps the more foggy members of the audience.
Old 02-10-2005, 10:30 AM   #108
Vanwatholiel

Silmaril I'm not slow, I'm medium!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathriel
Captain obvious has a purpose. He needs to state the obvious for those dim witted audience members that are watching. People who still haven't gotten it yet. Thank goodness for Legolas who helps them through the movie they would have trouble understandign without him.

I agree. I happen to be one of those dim-witted people who are a wee bit slow on some of the scenes. One such instance is Leggy's so called Captain Obvious line, "A diversion!" I needed that line. I was listening, and I was trying to figure out what that word was. What Aragorn was talking about, there was a word for it, and I couldn't quite place it. Then Leggy shouts out his infamous line, and I go Oh, yeah! That was it. Then I am free to watch the movie. It's not my fault I'm slow.
Old 02-11-2005, 11:29 PM   #109
Lathriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Wandering through Middle-Earth (Sadly in Alberta and not ME)
Lathriel has just left Hobbiton.
Ah-Ha! I knew it.

But now I have another question for you? Did you read the books before you saw the movies or not. Because those people who really need Leggy are those who haven't read them.
Old 02-12-2005, 02:57 PM   #110
Vanwatholiel

Silmaril

That happens to be not entirely true. I read the books, plus The Hobbit, two or three times before I saw the movie. I'm just an exception in a stereotype, that's all.
Old 04-01-2005, 11:23 PM   #111
Dragon Reborn
Pile O'Bones

Dragon Reborn has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Well I actually saw the movies before I read the books myself, and I didn't need Legolas' hints...
Old 04-03-2005, 12:56 PM   #112
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Essex has just left Hobbiton.
just noticed this from a while back (from Frodo Baggins I believe)

Quote:
Elrond: I looked into you future and I saw death.

Any idiot knows she's gonna die.
Not if she doesn't marry aragorn, and remains an elf. she'd be immottal. So therefore it wasn't a Captain Obvious line....
Essex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 06:01 PM   #113
Vanwatholiel

Silmaril

Well then, maybe I'm just an idiot. Whatever the case is I believe that everyone, once in a while needs an obvious line. So I say more power to you. You guys are geniuses. (did I spell that wrong?)
Old 01-29-2007, 02:53 PM   #114
Elmo
Pittodrie Poltergeist

Elmo has just left Hobbiton.
a terrible line from the film has to be 'They run as if the very whips of their masters are upon them' What is that supposed to mean? It is a pointless change from the book and just makes Legolas sound stupid even though he sounded stupid a lot in the Two Towers 'That's no orc horn' etc
Old 01-29-2007, 04:08 PM   #115
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88
Or not just how cheesy they say it, but how cheesy they are in the first place?
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 10:36 PM   #116
Břicho
Animated Skeleton

Břicho has just left Hobbiton.
I was totally cheesed out by Dwimorberg and Aragorn's little sword fight with the King of the Dead.

Whenever, at the end of the ROTK, Frodo sort of rubs his shoulder with a faint smile on his face while his voiceover drones on about never being able to come back, I get a strong whiff of cheese--I mean where's the pain? Why should he need to go 'cross the sea?
Old 02-04-2007, 01:23 PM   #117
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Well, let me just make a disclaimer; I adore Andy Serkis, think he was an excellent Smeagol, and liked him in the other movies I've seen him in too.

But why, oh why, does the Witch King have to have a West London accent? It's Serkis' real accent, and works for Shagrat, but it's just silly from the WiKi. Why Jackson didn't tell him to change it I cannot fathom - he could have.
The accent makes all the WiKi's lines sound incredibly cheesy to me.
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 02:08 PM   #118
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by hewhoarisesinmight
a terrible line from the film has to be 'They run as if the very whips of their masters are upon them' What is that supposed to mean? It is a pointless change from the book and just makes Legolas sound stupid even though he sounded stupid a lot in the Two Towers
Well it's pretty straightforward to me. It means they're not just plodding along on their way; they're running like they're about to get whipped any second - quite a difference.

But I agree that Legolas has some...uh...interesting lines.
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 01:10 PM   #119
Finduilas
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Home. Where rolling green hills and clear rivers are practically my backyard.
Finduilas is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
What are you all meaning by cheesy? Most of the ones meantioned, I thought halarious.

Poor Legolas. Even some of his reasonably good lines are being picked on . lol, I must say, I hope that if actors ever read these things, that they have a sense of humor.

Cheesy quotes:
Quote:
What's this? A ranger caught off his guard?
I hate that one.
Quote:
Let us hunt some orcs.
Kills my sister everytime.
Quote:
Gandalf told me to keep you safe, and safe is where I'll keep you.
Kinda funny, but redundant
Quote:
What does your heart tell you?
Is used in to many movies, and sounds really stupid. I mean really, Star Wars can get away with it, seeing as cheesyness is what it's all about, but LotR?

And I could fill the whole page, but I'm getting tired.
Old 08-04-2007, 02:15 PM   #120
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Elf-warrior View Post
Here are some more cheesy lines in chronological order. From FOTR, "What’s this? A ranger caught off his guard?" combined with Arwen putting a knife at Aragorn's throat. I agree about "what does your heart tell you?" From ROTK
Yeah I agree.