Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2007, 08:56 PM   #321
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet
Fea, I'm making it so that your difficult post to write is no longer necessary. Feel free to delete your save.
*jaw drops*

Where did time go, how long was I sick, have I finished my American Lit paper yet, are midterms over, and why did nobody remind me I had an unfilled Save???
Old 02-16-2007, 03:54 AM   #322
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Hope you're feeling better and getting done what you need to. I've rerouted my edited post for a reply from Aeron or Bergil, or both, depending on who wishes to take the initiative.
Old 02-20-2007, 02:44 PM   #323
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I shall be off computer for the duration of Lent. I am hopeful that my absence will not have severe consequences for this rather slow-moving thread. Be sure that when I come back, I will continue to contribute as much as I feel I can without taking the thing over.
Old 04-17-2007, 09:26 PM   #324
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Thanks for bringing Tapestry 2 back to life, Immy.

Formy!!!!! Your character has questions to answer!
Old 04-18-2007, 09:45 AM   #325
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Quote:
Thanks for bringing Tapestry 2 back to life, Immy.

Formy!!!!! Your character has questions to answer!
So I see...

I should --hopefully-- have something up on that within the next 24 hours... I cannot honestly say I have anything better to do between now and Saturday. Thereafter... we'll see.
Old 05-09-2007, 02:45 PM   #326
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Well, I'm tired of waiting. If others can't or don't want to write much, then I'll just have fun around here as long as I have ideas. Lets see now, there are Leafa, the traitor Elfwoman, Melonnin, and Bellyn.

Eeny meeny miny mo,
time to make this plotline go
if it reads well let it go,
eeny meeny miny mo.

Okay, the roll of the dice picked Mellonin. She is the one on the horse who has fallen near Celuien's character. Time to reaquaint myself with all of this. Anybody else who feels like joining in, feel free; but I'm not waiting anymore.
Old 05-10-2007, 09:52 AM   #327
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Yeah, I think it was in error (well meant for plot development's sake) to separate everybody this time. We need more writers interested enough to bounce off each other's posts, and the only way to do that is get all the characters back together. That's my goal. Hope to see more of you around some day not too far in the future.
Old 05-16-2007, 07:28 PM   #328
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

I'm wondering if Formy and Celuien can do something about their 'saves' in the next couple days? Just in case you might have forgotten it was even there....
Old 05-16-2007, 07:35 PM   #329
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
I'm wondering if Formy and Celuien can do something about their 'saves' in the next couple days? Just in case you might have forgotten it was even there....
See... I was GOING to fill that save on the evening of Saturday, April 21st... but as I was in emergency and the X-ray room, that didn't transpire...

Still, you have caught me on a guilty evening, with a very quiet few days ahead. If I haven't filled my save BEFORE Saturday, you have my permission to... um... I dunno, hit me or something. On my lower left leg.
Old 05-16-2007, 10:50 PM   #330
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Celuien has just left Hobbiton.
I can...it would have been filled before if not for some celebratory events here.

Couple of days should do it. If not, throw a frozen herring (or something) at me.
Old 05-17-2007, 04:32 AM   #331
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
I'll try to post something soon...(something's been percolating...but you know how it is) when I don't feel so deadly exhausted.

Old 05-17-2007, 09:33 AM   #332
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

I gue------ss I can wait that long.
Old 05-18-2007, 07:19 PM   #333
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Save filled.

Elempi's decision to have the menfolk take an about-turn has pretty much resolved Bergil's dilemma, which is fine with me since I couldn't think of a satisfying way to resolve Bergil's character with the idea of taking Indil into the wilds.

However, in reading on... I'd like to quibble with Elempi about the phrasing of Bergil's reply regarding the fastness of Elessar's prisons. The line currently reads:

Quote:
"None can escape from the prisons of Elessar," Bergil asserted. "They are too well watched by the Tower Guard."
Something about it doesn't sound like Bergil to me. A little bit too... earnest maybe? I envision Bergil as young, perhaps naive, but he's a ranger who's been serving for some years now, and he lived through the Siege of Minas Tirith. I envision him as rather more serious...

Anyways, my proposed revision of the line is more one of wording than content:

Quote:
"I doubt if he could escape the prisons of Elessar," Bergil asserted. "The Tower Guard watches them most vigilantly."
Old 05-18-2007, 07:35 PM   #334
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

The change has been made, Formy.
Old 05-29-2007, 01:50 PM   #335
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

I.

Am.

Slowly.

Dying.

Of.

Thirst.

That is....

When is somebody else going to do a post (or at least fill in their save)?
Old 05-30-2007, 05:46 PM   #336
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Immy, that's the best post I've seen on this thread in a good long while. Well done! Let's hope we can spur this on a little bit now.

(wishful thinking elempi you dolt)

What! Who said that!

Old 05-30-2007, 07:52 PM   #337
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Question:

If I (and Bergil) advance the action to the point where they're back in Minas Tirith, is that okay? I'm assuming that as LMP is wanting to reunite the groups, this will be done as fast as possible. In any case, if Bergil (and Indil, come to think of it) are to remain with the company and not stay in Minas Tirith, there needs to be at least a post or two of permission-seeking (in Bergil's case. In Indil's something more creative would be needed...).

Is there anything that needs doing first? (Not that I'll get to this tonight, or probably even THAT soon... but you never know. Maybe Friday?)
Old 05-31-2007, 09:01 AM   #338
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

I for one am all for it.

I don't think there's anything else that needs to be done first with the southward group.

Lots needs to be done with the women.

Helloooooo?
Old 05-31-2007, 09:23 AM   #339
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Okay, okay, I really will write today. It will be up by tomorrow evening (revisions, revisions and more revisions from today's version)...
Old 06-01-2007, 06:58 PM   #340
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Finally filled. Part of my problem was trying to figure out how to keep Saethyrd from automatically killing her visitor.

Anyway, I'm going to be trying to finish job pre-job-starting things next week and then moving, so I'll probably continue to be slow.
Old 06-01-2007, 07:45 PM   #341
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Amazingly, I got a post up as I planned. All the usual things about letting me know how/where I can approve is appreciated.

I'm afraid that the impetus to have Indil accompany the company is going to have to come from someone other than Bergil. I'm assuming that it'll be something along the lines of her having dreams that the company considers very important. This might be a matter for Fea, or LMP, or maybe Alak and the Elves. But it certainly won't be me and Bergil.

Anyone is free to take over "the Guardsman" from this point. I'm not attached to him at all, and the post might better come from the point of view of a character to whom the escape of Tharonwė means something. Once the company is caught up on that news, Bergil will be reporting to either Faramir or Elessar (I've not decided which...), and getting a mandate to accompany the company, conveniently solving the issue of rationalizing his participation.
Old 06-01-2007, 08:11 PM   #342
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formy
"Prince Faramir will want to know as soon as he can: did you see or hear any sign of the rouge Elf, Maegeleb?"
So much though I like having a rouge elf floating around ME, I think you might have meant rogue. I could be wrong...

Quote:
I'm assuming that it'll be something along the lines of her having dreams that the company considers very important. This might be a matter for Fea, or LMP, or maybe Alak and the Elves. But it certainly won't be me and Bergil.
I'm happy to write a dream, I'm just not sure what sort of dream will best work in terms of causality. What, exactly, would cause a group of people who want to travel quickly with few complications to decide it's of utmost necessity to keep a very small traumatized child with them?

A dream of Mithrellas? A dream of Amroth? A dream of the whereabouts of the famed, mystical, mysterious, and possibly uncanonical Rouge Elf?

I'm also a little rusty on exact story details right now, just because I've been away a bit...
Old 06-01-2007, 10:40 PM   #343
Formendacil
Dead Serious

I can't believe I did that... since I remember actually thinking as I wrote that word to NOT mess it up...

Anyways...

I'll fix that.
Old 06-02-2007, 07:10 AM   #344
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor of the Peredhil
I'm happy to write a dream, I'm just not sure what sort of dream will best work in terms of causality. What, exactly, would cause a group of people who want to travel quickly with few complications to decide it's of utmost necessity to keep a very small traumatized child with them?
Let's see.....

... a dream of Angela in the company of Roy Edwards (you may consult with me of course) would certainly attract Raefindan's attention, and give him personal motivation to stay in the little girl's company. This would mean that in order to fulfill his current responsibilities, he would offer to take responsibility for her care (which could get really funny as he has no experience). However, maybe this would be too obvious too soon.

... a dream of Mithrellas would affect Raefindan as he identifies with Imrazor, and would be more likely to impress him as of importance in terms of the quest whereas the above dream does not. In this case he would not quite so strong a personal motivation, and would probably not offer to take over her care. On the other hand, not only he but the Elves would be more likely to realize that she is actually a player in putting this puzzle (excuse me ~ weaving this Tapestry) together.

... a dream of Amroth would remove personal motivation from Raefindan and place it upon the Elves, and it would be clear that she has a role in the Tapestry. This could however cause conflict such that the Elves insist that Mellondu and Indil go with them in the south instead of north with the Men. It would be dreaming of the somewhat harrowing realities associated with the hero.

... a dream of Tharonwė would be even more extreme in terms of what I've already written about Amroth. It would be dreaming of the even more harrowing villain.

Of these four, a dream of Angela would be most personal and psychologically likely; a dream of Mithrellas would be not quite so personal and psychologically less likely but still probable. A dream of Amroth would be rather impersonal, potentially exceedingly traumatic, and very plot oriented. It could seem forced. A dream of Tharonwė would be more extreme trauma and even more plot oriented.

I see little attraction in dreaming of Tharonwė at this point. So despite the attractions of the two extreme choices (Angela or Amroth), I would recommend Mithrellas; unless there are other options?

Last edited by littlemanpoet; 06-02-2007 at 07:18 AM.
Old 06-02-2007, 07:27 AM   #345
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

A few notes upon having read the new posts

Saethryd's motivations are most interesting, in regard to both woman and dog.

It occurs to me that Bergil has a ready-made "next mission" in hunting Maegeleb.

Disgust doesn't strike me as at all inscrutible. Maybe the cause of the disgust, but not the thing itself.
Old 06-02-2007, 10:58 AM   #346
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Quote:
Saethryd's motivations are most interesting, in regard to both woman and dog.

It occurs to me that Bergil has a ready-made "next mission" in hunting Maegeleb.

Disgust doesn't strike me as at all inscrutible. Maybe the cause of the disgust, but not the thing itself.
Which is what was intended to be implied... I'll clarify in the post.

And yes, exactly: there is no confusion at all as to how I'll be getting Bergil permission to travel.
Old 06-02-2007, 01:31 PM   #347
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

As far as likelihood for dreams, Mithrellas or Angela are closest if only because Indil was created with them both in mind. Blood connection and all. She dreams of them already, so why not?

I could argue for a traumatic dream in that she just watched her parents die and all, and what's the difference between one nightmare and a couple blended ones? Amroth would be easy enough, but dreaming of Thoronwe would be a stretch.

But I agree that it's best to keep it personal and plausible.

Anyone up for suggesting a Mithrellas dream topic that will catch the interest of important decision-making folks?
Old 06-03-2007, 10:51 AM   #348
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Anyone up for suggesting a Mithrellas dream topic that will catch the interest of important decision-making folks?
Important decision-making posts - does that refer to King Elessar & Queen Arwen in particular? Or to Erebemlin? Or to the Captain of the Tower Guard? Or the young blacksmith who is actually de facto in charge of this expedition (Mellondu)?

So it depends on who the decision maker is to whom you wish to appeal. Yeah, I'm being a virtual Elf, saying both yes and no, but it does depend.
Old 06-04-2007, 06:04 AM   #349
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
So it depends on who the decision maker is to whom you wish to appeal. Yeah, I'm being a virtual Elf, saying both yes and no, but it does depend.
So you're going to make me work this out for myself, thereby become a stronger and more self-sufficient writer, or something like that?
Old 06-04-2007, 12:15 PM   #350
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
So you're going to make me work this out for myself, thereby become a stronger and more self-sufficient writer, or something like that?
Snicker. But of course.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:42 PM   #351
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
Snicker. But of course.
Oh fuss and bother.

Old 06-10-2007, 11:54 AM   #352
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Hello to all...

I've been trying to find the time to write, and simply haven't been finding it. Things are dreadfully busy, and it doesn't look like that will be changing anytime soon. In short, I'm going to have to decide whether I can actually do this or not.

I'll be leaving for Ireland in a few days, and won't be back until towards the end of that month. During that time I'm going to sit back and relax, and hopefully restore mind, body, and soul. Upon my return I'll make a definite plan of what I'm going to do with the game. If it comes to the worst, I'll send Liornung home, pass Leafa onto someone else, and step down. I'd hate to it, but more than that I'd hate to hold the rest of you up.

But I was wondering... is there any chance that I could simply pass Leafa along to someone else and abandon the other steps? I feel fairly confident that I could handle just Liornung, as he's a pretty quiet fellow most of the time anyway.
Old 06-11-2007, 08:22 PM   #353
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Dispassionately

Looking at all the options:

1. someone takes over Leafa.

a. I could, due to Ędegard.
b. Another more or less active writer who has a feel for the character.

2. Leafa dies.

Not trying to be cruel. What best serves the story? This would have much to do with Ędegard, who at various times I've tried and failed to get killed. Any thoughts?
Old 06-12-2007, 06:57 AM   #354
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
This would have much to do with Ędegard, who at various times I've tried and failed to get killed. Any thoughts?
Leafa dies, Ędegard dies of grief? Two birds...
Old 06-12-2007, 03:30 PM   #355
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Leafa dies, Ędegard dies of grief? Two birds...
Well not of grief, but he becomes "fey", as Tolkien calls it, and reckless, and gets himself killed. That's how I see it. But yes, "two birds".
Old 06-12-2007, 09:27 PM   #356
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Tolkien calls it, and reckless, and gets himself killed
This seems like it could add some interesting things to the plot.

Old 06-13-2007, 09:50 AM   #357
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imladris
This seems like it could add some interesting things to the plot.
We shall have to see what Nuru thinks.

Fea, this is getting interesting and fun again. Reminds me of Prisoner of Numenor. I find your set ups challenging in a very, very good way. Huzzah!
Old 06-14-2007, 07:28 AM   #358
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
Fea, this is getting interesting and fun again. Reminds me of Prisoner of Numenor. I find your set ups challenging in a very, very good way. Huzzah!
*blush*

I miss Prisoner. I had fun with that, except for some brief trauma killing Kath off.
Old 06-14-2007, 08:52 AM   #359
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
I miss Prisoner. I had fun with that, except for some brief trauma killing Kath off.
But that was the best part.
Old 06-15-2007, 07:24 AM   #360
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
But that was the best part.
Never said it wasn't. But it was still traumatic: I'd never killed a character before.

You know, I'm getting nostalgic about old games now... Island of Sorrow, ATM, Prisoner of Numenor... I kind of want to go reread them. I know there was some great writing in all of them...