The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2007, 11:38 PM   #1
MatthewM
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MatthewM has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to MatthewM
Tolkien If You Could Choose 5 Characters

If you could choose five characters from the books that WERE NOT in the movies, who would they be? Don't say Faramir or a character that was horribly misrepresented, say characters that really were non-existant in the films. It's ok if some goons were given their names on the Decipher trading card series I could probably think this out more, but off the top of my head, I would say...

1. Imrahil
2. Beregond
3. Tom Bombadil
4. Erkenbrand
5. Elrohir (kind of gets two for one- Elrohir wouldn't have been there without Elladan)
Old 06-10-2007, 07:20 AM   #2
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Halbarad
Elrohir
Elladan
Thirty extras to be Dunedain Rangers

Actually, I could come up with only three actual speaking parts (and the extras) that I think would be necessary to save The Two Towers movie from Peter Jackson's inane need to juxtapose his immense ego (and poor scripting) onto the original plot.

I have the three extended movies, and overall I think the movie trilogy was fine, but I really never cared as much for TTT, most likely because of Jackson's heavy-handed rewriting of Tolkien. By adding the Dunedain Rangers (with the sons of Elrond) you eliminate:

1) Aragorn being portrayed as an undecided and lonesome loser. The movie made it seem like he hadn't a friend or kin in the world (save for the Elves), when at the time of the War of the Ring he was the longstanding Chieftain of the Dunedain.

2) Aragorn frenching his horse. Eliminate the whole Warg attack scene where Aragorn falls of a cliff, floats down a river and hugs his horsie. That's fifteen minutes of film time that could've been better used elsewhere.

3) The Elves coming to Helm's Deep. Sorry, it was a silly plot twist. And what happened to all the Elves after the battle? Did they all die? They just disappeared. Equally silly. If Jackson wished to emend the original plot, then have the sons of Elrond and the Dunedain coming to fight at Helm's Deep. I don't believe the impact would have been lessened.

4) Elrond appearing magically in Rohan, having ridden hundreds of miles through enemy held territory just to drop off a sword? Maybe he should have led the Fellowship, as it appears he had an easier time getting through.

With the addition of Elrohir, Elladan and the Dunedain, one gets a commitment from Elrond and the Elves without sending a spurious army of Elves (again travelling easily through enemy territory). In addition, one gets a sense of Aragorn's stature and history, and seeing the grim Dunedain would have been far more interesting than the proliferation of blonde elves Jackson had a penchant for.

Last edited by Thenamir; 08-07-2007 at 09:24 AM. Reason: Inappropriate language
Morthoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 07:20 AM   #3
Finduilas
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Home. Where rolling green hills and clear rivers are practically my backyard.
Finduilas is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Glorfindel
Bergil(sp?)
Tom Bombadil
Bill Ferny
Dernhelm
Old 06-10-2007, 08:03 AM   #4
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Tom
Goldberry
The Barrow-wight
Radagast
Glorfindel
Old 06-10-2007, 08:13 AM   #5
Sauron the White
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sauron the White has just left Hobbiton.
Prince Imrahil
Glorfindel
Halbarad
Beregond
Beren & Luthien - that would come in the tale Aragorn tells/sings around the campfire in a brief flashback in FOTR-- just a few glimpses to get us going as Aragorn expands upon the tale

Absolutely without a doubt - no Tom Bombadil or Goldberry. Never, ever, ever!
Sauron the White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 08:50 AM   #6
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauron the White
Absolutely without a doubt - no Tom Bombadil or Goldberry. Never, ever, ever!
I do think they could have made it work, if they had the film time to spend. They would just have to concentrate on the eerier aspect of it. He's the madman of the hostile forest after all, though dressed rather comically and spouting weird poetry.

I agree with a lot of the choices here. Would have loved to see them present a good portrait of the following.

Bergil
Beregond
Halbarad
Imrahil
Barrow-wight

And at least give some sort of nod to Glorfindel, Elladan and Elrohir's contibutions.

But I find that I'm getting disgruntled thinking about the movies additions, especially the stress on Awen. It would have been so much nicer to have kept Arwen the distant noble and mysterious figure she was in the books, and really learn about her only in the end like the hobbits did. It would have stopped the confusing meandering and kept the focus on the fellowship's mission. I apologize to the film buffs for the rant, but the whole side story ended up like a cancer that threatened to kill the films for me. So suppose I'd vote to have her made to a 1/5 of the character they ultimately portrayed.

Last edited by Hilde Bracegirdle; 06-10-2007 at 08:56 AM.
Hilde Bracegirdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 09:09 AM   #7
Morwen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Morwen has just left Hobbiton.
Gildor
Glorfindel
Beregond
Imrahil

5th character ... how about Fatty Bolger?

Last edited by Morwen; 06-10-2007 at 09:19 AM.
Morwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 11:01 AM   #8
Sardy
Wight

Sardy has just left Hobbiton.
--Radagast
--The Barrow Wight
--Tom Bombadil
--Glorfindel
--A sentient, speaking Shelob
Old 06-10-2007, 06:31 PM   #9
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Gildor? Really?

Would have have loved to see good 'ol Fredegar, though! Definitely a hobbit after my own heart.
Old 06-10-2007, 08:57 PM   #10
Morwen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Morwen has just left Hobbiton.
I rather liked Gildor's interaction with Frodo in the book, especially their exchange concerning the affairs of Wizards and Elven advice.
Old 06-11-2007, 04:59 AM   #11
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

It would be the proper introduction to an Elves' view of world.
Old 06-12-2007, 06:45 PM   #12
ninja91
Shade of Carn Dûm

ninja91 has just left Hobbiton.
1. Tom Bombadil
2. Farmer Maggot as a nice guy
3. Radagast the Brown
4. Prince Imrahil
5. Zod the Destroyer of Blackfire ( )
The rider was robed all in black, and black was his lofty helm; yet this was no Ringwraith but a living man. The Lieutenant of the Tower of Barad-dûr he was, and his name is remembered in no tale; for he himself had forgotten it...
ninja91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 08:23 AM   #13
Beanamir of Gondor
Shade of Carn Dûm

Beanamir of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

One person I sorely missed was Sharku, because we totally lost the Scouring of the Shire without him. Along the same lines, we had the tiny little Sackville-Baggins cameos that could have been made into a lot more.

I would also include Beregond (because we've been barred from missing Faramir :P) because he represented part of the Guard of the Citadel that didn't either
(a) blindly follow Gandalf after he beat up Denethor, or
(b) blindly follow Denethor's orders after he went mad.
I think Pippin's love of Faramir was a very poor substitute for Beregond's, and if we had Bergil as well, his relationship with Pippin would have been hilarious and adorable.

Finduilas already mentioned Dernhelm but I'll mention him again. I was so incredibly disappointed at the Mustering of the Rohirrim. The scene was fabulous (Merry dejectedly watches everyone leave, then suddenly a hand scoops him up and puts him in the saddle) until Eowyn revealed herself. In the book, Eowyn became a really heroic and noble figure by not revealing herself until the Witch-King appeared. In the movie, it's kind of like... "Well, now Merry knows precisely who you are, and the two of you can snivel and be scared together before you fight on the Pelennor." Both of the characters lost some bit of courage, knowingly being together.
Plus in the EE there's a section where the two of them sit around and eat with their helmets off. Where the heck was Eomer?

"I only lent you my body; you lent me your dream."
Beanamir of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 01:28 PM   #14
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
Tom Bambadil
Glorfindel
Bill Fearny
Beregond
Fatty Bolger...well he is mentioned
Old 08-04-2007, 01:42 PM   #15
Hammerhand
Haunting Spirit

Hammerhand has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Hammerhand
Glorfindel
Mr Bombadil
Imrahil
Gildor
Radagast

Old 08-05-2007, 12:23 PM   #16
sallkid
Animated Skeleton

sallkid has just left Hobbiton.
Definately Radagast, just because Sarumans taunting of him is some of the most enjoyable dialogue in the books.
Glorfindel
Bill Ferny
Ted Sandyman (he may have been among the hobbits but needed a speaking role, he's kinda important in laying down characterisation of the hobbit POV regarding adventures.)
The "Traitorous Haradrim, captain of the host of Mordor" just because.
sallkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 01:48 AM   #17
MatthewM
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MatthewM has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to MatthewM
Tolkien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanamir of Gondor View Post
Plus in the EE there's a section where the two of them sit around and eat with their helmets off. Where the heck was Eomer?
Haha, I know. I was wondering the same thing. You think SOMEONE might just notice the small boy talking with the obvious woman warrior. Oh well.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:38 AM   #18
Thenamir
Spectre of Capitalism

Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Ioreth
Forlong the Fat
Nob & Bob (a twofer)
The fox in the woods wondering why the hobbits were so far afield
Gloin, or perhaps Robin Smallburrow

Seriously,

Glorfindel
The Dunedain, I give a hearty second to all Morthoron's reasons
Bombadil & Goldberry
Bergil
Ted Sandyman, just because including him means you'd have to include the Scouring.