Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2008, 05:40 PM   #201
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet View Post
EDIT: Well! Three posts since I last looked. Nice going, friends! Perhaps my above words were after all unnecessary.
I was WONDERING what you were going on about.
Old 05-10-2008, 06:15 PM   #202
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Quote:
I've quit coming to the Barrowdowns three times a day; now it's only once a day, if that. This has served to greatly (but not completely) reduce my frustration at the slow pace of posting at this and my other 3 rpg commitments. Hard to believe that not a one of them has as yet concluded, and I gave my announcement of leaving, what, two months ago?
So you see.. the quickness or slowness is in the eye of the beholder...

But yes I've been more than happy with your "slow pace" of leaving. My next weeks will be full indeed but after that there will the bliss of the vacation lasting two and half months! If you think it is okay I will then start taking over the Mead Hall. If you still wish to keep this place or just to cling in I have nothing against it. On the contrary. Just tell me when you're going to ease up visiting the 'Downs or if you will backtrack your decision in the first place - which would be great indeed. I'd love to see you do the backtracking as I feel this Mead Hall is yours to the bone. But if you really think you will leave then tell us when you will do it. Hopefully not soon...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmp
It's as if you're all trying to keep my around! Be warned - if posting doesn't start picking up its pace to some degree, I'll start killing off some of my characters.
EDIT: Well! Three posts since I last looked. Nice going, friends! Perhaps my above words were after all unnecessary.
I just can't see you quitting this lmp... Don't fool yourself. You love this and you should stick to the things you love in your life whatever doubts you have.
Old 05-11-2008, 04:39 AM   #203
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMP
Hard to believe that not a one of them has as yet concluded, and I gave my announcement of leaving, what, two months ago? It's as if you're all trying to keep my around!
Aieeeeeee! He discovered the plan!
Old 05-11-2008, 06:24 AM   #204
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
I just can't see you quitting this lmp... Don't fool yourself. You love this and you should stick to the things you love in your life whatever doubts you have.
Sorry to disappoint, but as much as I love doing this, it's a matter of obedience to a higher power. I'd be a fool to disobey.

Lommy,
Old 05-11-2008, 06:44 AM   #205
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
I'd be a fool to disobey.
We're all fools, one way or another...
Old 05-12-2008, 07:09 AM   #206
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Sorry to disappoint, but as much as I love doing this, it's a matter of obedience to a higher power. I'd be a fool to disobey.
Ah. There's no arguing with that. Still -
Old 05-12-2008, 03:15 PM   #207
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Character bio for Scyld, soon to be introduced (sorry it's long, I pretty much just edited it from AiE):

NAME: Scyld

AGE/GENDER/RACE/WHERE FROM: 25, male, Man from Rohan (Hard Winters - now 30)

APPEARANCE: Short dirty-blonde hair, blue-gray eyes, passive expression that rarely expresses his thoughts. Dresses plainly but certainly not shabbily. 5’11” tall, not particularly strong or athletic but rather thin.

WEAPONS: He is not much of a fighter but if necessary he can wield a pair of knives with reasonable proficiency.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: The only person that matters to Scyld is Scyld. He looks out for himself and takes care not to offend or cause wariness to anyone, whether because they could help or hurt him. He is very much an opportunist and can think quickly. However, he is rarely impulsive and only takes risks when he feels confident that it will work out well for him. He lies easily but is honest whenever he can be. He is very intelligent and has an ear for information of all sorts; he would make an ideal spy if anyone ever found out his talents (which also include lock picking, snooping, and eavesdropping), but he is careful to keep this hidden behind apparent subservience and only average intelligence. Scyld has a very difficult time trusting people. He tends to hide his true feelings behind sarcasm and jests.

HISTORY: Scyld was born the fifth child to an already struggling family of middling rank. Most of their remaining wealth was lost in the War of the Ring, and in the following years, Scyld’s father amassed a debt to Sorn that he was unable to pay. In place of cash, the twelve-year-old Scyld was contracted to work ten years in Sorn’s service, after which Scyld would be free to do as he wished and Sorn would consider the debt paid.

Initially confused and resentful, Scyld soon learned to make the best of his situation. He learned a wide variety of skills in Sorn’s household, and to learning he devoted himself – not only about his new skills, but also to finding out as much as possible about Sorn and anything else that might eventually prove useful to him. Gathering information became his hobby. But by always obeying Sorn’s commands to the letter and always behaving subserviently and never showing outstanding intelligence, he came to be trusted by Sorn, although Scyld took care never to get too close to his volatile master. Nor did he ever grow to love him, and if better opportunity presented itself to Scyld, he would without reservations or regrets stab Sorn in the back (literally or figuratively) and take it, and for such an opportunity he always watched, although to this point he has never proved anything but trustworthy. He remained with Sorn for a total of thirteen years until Sorn was killed in the rescue of the Gondorian lady Linduial whom he had kidnapped. Scyld, who had developed a tentative friendship with Linduial, helped her to escape and escaped himself [Events occurred in the Abduction in Edoras RPG].

Added 5/18/15: Considering himself a fugitive but unable to stay away from the people that Linduial had spoken of so highly, he took on the name Nydfara and went to see for himself the new Meadhall that was built on the site of Sorn's old holdings. He is slowly growing more trusting but has thus far kept his true name and his role in Linduial's kidnapping secret.

-------------------------------

LINKED ~*~ Pio

Last edited by Firefoot; 06-15-2015 at 08:10 AM.
Old 05-12-2008, 05:16 PM   #208
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Yessss! Scyld is joining the rpg!

I foresee that Rowenna is going to have a rather profound visceral response to Scyld's presence. See, there's a part of Rowenna that really liked being part of a pack of brigands, really enjoyed the recklessness and riskiness, and she is going to perceive an edginess about Scyld such that, despite her ambitions to be an Eorl's wife, he is going to be a magnet to her.

Hee hee! Couldn't resist that.

EDIT: Lommy, Foley and I have been working on a PM post so that the conversation could flow a bit more smoothly. So that's why there are multiple perspectives within one post.

By the way, I highly recommend PM-built posts if you want to indulge in an extended conversation with another writer's character. Such collaborations can be quite striking and fun in their results.

Last edited by littlemanpoet; 05-12-2008 at 05:28 PM.
Old 05-12-2008, 07:34 PM   #209
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Quote:
I foresee that Rowenna is going to have a rather profound visceral response to Scyld's presence. See, there's a part of Rowenna that really liked being part of a pack of brigands, really enjoyed the recklessness and riskiness, and she is going to perceive an edginess about Scyld such that, despite her ambitions to be an Eorl's wife, he is going to be a magnet to her.
Ooh...
Old 05-12-2008, 07:48 PM   #210
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Quote:
Sorn, who had developed a tentative friendship with Linduial, helped her to escape and escaped himself, but is now on the run as a fugitive.
Firefoot, I think this should be Scyld?

Oh, Rowenna, you poor girl...
Old 05-12-2008, 07:51 PM   #211
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Right you are, Lhuna. I did this shortly after spending a pretty grueling 7 hours of testing... my brain's pretty fried.

Quick question to anyone who remembers: Where is Linduial now? Some official position, I think? Mostly just for background...
Old 05-13-2008, 08:45 AM   #212
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Jenny had plans for Linduial to become an ambassador from Dol Amroth to Edoras, but the last writing Jenny did left the character in Dol Amroth. She can be where you want her to be, I suppose.

Last edited by littlemanpoet; 05-13-2008 at 08:50 AM.
Old 05-13-2008, 07:07 PM   #213
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Okay, thanks.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:02 PM   #214
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Scyld = terrific name. And now I am irritated because I didn't think of using it first.
Old 05-14-2008, 03:41 AM   #215
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Eönwë - nice work, it's all okay with me, since you asked.
Firefoot - ooh, I'm excited. Now I'm only wondering if I should read the Abduction RPG...
Old 05-14-2008, 05:39 AM   #216
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

I'd recommend Abduction as an interesting RPG in itself - not terribly long either, I think it just touches on the fourth page. I left Scyld off there at a pretty crucial part of his character development, which is a large part of why I'm not done with him... (and I'm finding that I'm getting really excited about this, leaving me to wonder if the reason I was so unmotivated to write was simply that I was getting bored with Leof, as much as I love him).

But it's totally up to you - not necessary, just informative.

Thanks, Gwathagor.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:52 AM   #217
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
Now I'm only wondering if I should read the Abduction RPG...
OF COURSE you should read Abduction. It's a reasonably well done little rpg, and Scyld is the most interesting character in the thing by far. But... only so long as it doesn't keep you from posting here!
Old 05-14-2008, 09:23 AM   #218
shaggydog
Animated Skeleton

shaggydog has just left Hobbiton.
Great post Firefoot! And I heartily echo both your and lmp's recommendation: the Abduction thread IS a good one and its helpful too in knowing the background of the Scarburg area.

Are you still planning on a character Gwathagor? I hope you're not waiting until the great wolf battle is over on the GP thread.

*looks sheepish because of not posting there in a long time*
Old 05-14-2008, 08:08 PM   #219
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggydog View Post

Are you still planning on a character Gwathagor? I hope you're not waiting until the great wolf battle is over on the GP thread.
I am actually. But fear not, it shall be over soon. I think that the elf has only another post or two in him (probably just one) before he disappears into the twilight. I don't want to take on 4 RPGs at once.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:33 PM   #220
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Just for my own sanity I made a list of all character currently in and around (or at least associated with) Scarburg. Here they are:

Eodwine - Elempi - 1
Thornden Javan - both Folwren - 2,3
Garstan Garmund Léođern - originally Celuien, currently npc's. -4,5,6
Stigend Modtryth Cnebba - Nogrod and Thinlomien - 7,8,9
Léofric - Firefoot - 10
Frodides - Kath - 11
Kara - Kath - 12
Ginna - Lhuna - 13
Rowenna - Elempi - 14
Saeryn - Folwren - 15
Harreld - Elempi - 16
Ćdhel - Nerindel (never know when she's going to stop in) - 17
Lys - Taralphiel (never know when she's going to stop in) - 18
Erbrand - Groin - 19
Daghan-Turi-Dan - Eonwe - 20
Ćthelred - guard - 21 (I think I have this name wrong) (originally written by ????? but hasn't been around in years)
Matrim - Ćdhel's guard - Nerindel - 22
Balvir - Ćdhel's guard - Nerindel - 23
guard4 - unnamed - 24
guard5 - unnamed - 25
guard6 - unnamed - 26

Falco 27 - Elempi

(Oeric) (28) - shaggydog
(Scyld) (29) - Firefoot
(Garreth) (30) - Elempi

__________ - Gwathagor?

So this gives us an idea of who is available for what tasks - and nonplayer characters are generally available to be used by whomever. Big group!

Last edited by littlemanpoet; 05-15-2008 at 07:22 PM.
Old 05-15-2008, 02:22 AM   #221
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thanks for the list, LMP. But where did Nain and Elián disappear to? (I know their players have not been around for a long time, but...) I mean, have they been written out of the story? Also, what happened to Marenil? Did he go somewhere?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMP
OF COURSE you should read Abduction. It's a reasonably well done little rpg, and Scyld is the most interesting character in the thing by far. But... only so long as it doesn't keep you from posting here!
Well, my summer holiday begins soon (only 2˝ weeks of school to go, yay! ) and then I should have plenty of time... And now that I'm speaking of time, I'll be rather busy for two weeks or so, but then, after that, if I'm not posting, it's because of sheer laziness and you all ought to disapprove of me...
Old 05-15-2008, 02:29 AM   #222
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Silly me. "Read first, post then" might be a good rule. Case Nain explained, then.

I was looking at the list of the unnamed guards and that kind of inspired me. As it seems like my other RPG commitments are over sooner or later (one looks like it will be closed and finished later, the two others are waiting for to be finished), I might have time to write more in the Hall. That might tempt me to take a guard or two and give them proper names and histories...
Old 05-15-2008, 07:49 AM   #223
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Is Javan assigned a job, or does he get to choose?
Old 05-15-2008, 08:46 AM   #224
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren View Post
Is Javan assigned a job, or does he get to choose?
He will be assigned a job. What job do you think he should be assigned?

With Stigend timbering?
With Leof making animal pens?
With the hunters?
With the kitchen crew?
With those building tents?
Old 05-15-2008, 09:07 AM   #225
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Not with Leof, I don't think anyone will assign him to Leof for a while yet.

Probably not with the hunting crew, too many ways to get into trouble by being careless, even by pure accident.

I think he could be with those building tents. Or, if you really want him to be tested, stick him with the kitchen crew...all the women folk. That might get to his pride.
Old 05-15-2008, 02:06 PM   #226
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Danúg - Eonwe - 20
erm....
Old 05-15-2008, 03:07 PM   #227
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eönwë View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmp
Danúg - Eonwe - 20
erm....
Maybe I missed the point here - and sorry if I did. And even more sorry if I missed a good joke here...

But that "20" seems to be the running number of those involved eg. Danug was the twentieth person on the list which tried to get a hunch of how many people there are around.

And sorry I've been such an inactive person here but my RL keeps on overwhelming me and as I promised to take on the DW II it has squeezed the last free minutes from me...

But it will not take long now before I can really give my heart to this one.
Old 05-15-2008, 03:14 PM   #228
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Nogrod, the point I was making was that my character is not called Danug. Maybe I shhould have just put the quote around that, rather than the whole line.

Sadly, no joke there (unless Elempi is making one here that I don't get).
Old 05-15-2008, 03:27 PM   #229
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

It seems many of us lose the track every now and then... How human!

And I should have known that as I have written things relating to your character...
Old 05-15-2008, 07:19 PM   #230
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eönwë View Post
Nogrod, the point I was making was that my character is not called Danug. Maybe I shhould have just put the quote around that, rather than the whole line.

Sadly, no joke there (unless Elempi is making one here that I don't get).
No joke intended. My mistake, sorry. I remember his name was longer than "Dan", and I wanted to use it. I should have researched instead of depend on my quite fallible memory. I apologize. Fixes in place.

That said, Eodwine has asked a question of Daghan-Turi-Dan, and I hope, Eönwë, that you can find time to post his answer soon, as shaggydog is eager to post in response to Daghan-Turi-Dan giving Oeric chase.

Last edited by littlemanpoet; 05-15-2008 at 07:25 PM.
Old 05-16-2008, 04:06 PM   #231
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Yes, I'm looking forward to this. I think either today or early tomorrow.
Old 05-16-2008, 04:36 PM   #232
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

...Danug is a perfectly good name...
Old 05-16-2008, 09:07 PM   #233
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

So, Elempi, as you haven't made any answer or decision, I'm just going to say that Javan was assigned to helping with the tents. Is this alright? I hope to post for Saeryn and Javan and maybe Thornden, even, tomorrow.

-- Folwren
Old 05-17-2008, 08:37 AM   #234
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Fine with me. I may be current facilitator of this rpg, but that doesn't mean I should make many (or any?) of the decisions for your characters. It's really up to you what Javan is assigned to do. So tents is fine, of course.
Old 05-17-2008, 09:11 AM   #235
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Folwren - would you either write for Saeryn this weekend or tell me how she is? I think I'd like to write for Modtryth at some phase and if you did one of those things, it'd help me. And now I hope you won't interpretate this as me rebuking for not doing either of those things before this moment, as it certainly isn't meant as such (I just can't phrase it better...) and it only occured to me too just a while ago...
Old 05-17-2008, 09:21 PM   #236
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Lommy, I apologize. I WAS going to post for Saeryn, I even sat down and wrote the first couple words, but then I realized I couldn't...I didn't have anything to write, as it's all based off of Modtryth and Rowenna and Saeryn's just there, half sensible, for now. So, I'm waiting for you to post.

I did, however, write something for Javan. He's looking for Cnebba and Garmund, and I think you're the only one who really knows where they are - unless Nogrod wants to decide.

So, I just wanted to let you know where I was on things.

-- Folwren

P.S. For anyone who's wondering, I did PM Lommy and answered her question in her last post. I'm not just refusing to let her know how Saeryn is doing.
Old 05-18-2008, 01:16 AM   #237
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

...and hellooo Scarburg Meadhall.

Time to work on a character bio.
Old 05-18-2008, 06:31 AM   #238
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwathagor View Post
...and hellooo Scarburg Meadhall.

Time to work on a character bio.
Finally. Welcome.

Elempi...umm...I don't know how to say this. Haha, this is weird. Okay, I was wondering if there's any way we could get Harreld to talk to Ginna, and the other way around. If you're leaving - which I know you are, eventually - I would want the thing between them to be resolved, and I certainly can't do that writing on my own. So, whenever you're free, or whenever Harreld is (because I'm sure he's busy). For now I'll probably have Ginna interview someone about Saeryn or talk to Dan or something.

Wow, I sure rambled.
Old 05-18-2008, 06:34 AM   #239
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren View Post
I did, however, write something for Javan. He's looking for Cnebba and Garmund, and I think you're the only one who really knows where they are - unless Nogrod wants to decide.
Nogrod is currently in Romania and I doubt he will post anything in a week... The last time I saw the boys, Dan was telling them a story and they were somewhere relatively close to the kitchen area. Now Dan has left and I have no idea where they are, or what they're up to... If you wish to post more for Javan and want to make him find the younger boys, just go on and invent something. We can also do so that when I (probably) write later today for Modtryth, I also write something for Cnebba (and Garmund) and you can continue from that...
Old 05-18-2008, 07:42 AM   #240
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhunardawen View Post
Finally. Welcome.

Elempi I was wondering if there's any way we could get Harreld to talk to Ginna, and the other way around. If you're leaving - which I know you are, eventually - I would want the thing between them to be resolved, and I certainly can't do that writing on my own. So, whenever you're free, or whenever Harreld is (because I'm sure he's busy).
Simple. Some bowls, knives, forks, and other kitchen utensils are sure to have gotten bent or broken since leaving Edoras, and Frodides could have Ginna bring them to Harreld and his temporary outdoor smithy for repair. Frodides could tell Ginna to wait until they are repaired, leaving her stuck with Harreld with nothing better to do but talk.

In fact, Harreld would need someone to pump the bellows while he repairs the utensils - that could be Ginna.

Here's a link with a picture to help you imagine it: http://www.regia.org/life/ironwork.htm