Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2008, 02:10 PM   #281
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eönwë View Post
And an interesting question Elempi would Eorlings name their swords?
Theoden and Eomer did: Huragrim and Guthwine.
Old 05-23-2008, 02:12 PM   #282
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet View Post
One last thing: Gwath, is Crabannan familiar with Gondorian? "Recompense" is a Latinate word and not something the boys would even recognize, being boys as well as Eorling.
Nah, I just wasn't thinking carefully about his language, so he's speaking like I would, living in the linguistic aftermath of 1066. Blasted Norman thugs. I'll find a substitute directly.

EDIT: Well, I mean, sure, he would be familiar with Gondorian language, but he's smart enough and well-travelled enough to speak the native language of whatever country he happens to be passing through, and not speak in a kind of polyglot mish-mash. Like I wrote him doing. I'll watch out for that in the future.

Last edited by Gwathagor; 05-23-2008 at 02:18 PM.
Old 05-23-2008, 02:18 PM   #283
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin Redbeard View Post
Theoden and Eomer did: Huragrim and Guthwine.
Herugrim?
Old 05-23-2008, 02:23 PM   #284
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwathagor View Post
speak in a kind of polyglot mish-mash. Like I wrote him doing.
Well, thats English for you
Old 05-23-2008, 03:24 PM   #285
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
1. Ćthelward
2. Lithor
3. Wilcred
4. Osmund
5. Alfhere
6. Elfric
7. Alfred
8. Redwald

Just a note: my character, Eodwine, is named so in order to match Tolkien's chosen dialect of Anglo-Saxon, that of Mercia, which is the Norman term for 'the Mark'. So just as Eomer, so Eodwine. Which would change the above list, were we to follow the dialect, to:

1. Eothelward
2. Lithor
3. Wilcred
4. Eosmund
5. Eolfhere
6. Eolfric
7. Eolfred
8. Redwald

Do you want to go for these more Eorling dialectal versions, or stick to the original suggestions? Or a mix?

Looks like Gwath has answered the sword question for me. However, Herugrim and Guthwine were the swords of kings and nobles, whereas Eorlings might be more humble and name their swords something like, "my sword". Unlesss, of course, it is of ancient lineage.

Oh, and on "blasted Norman thugs", I second the motion.

Lhuna, I may not get a chance to post today after all. Tomorrow for sure!

This is getting very, very fun!!!
Old 05-23-2008, 04:13 PM   #286
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Hey, I'm sorry about the brevity of the post. It got the essence of what I wanted into it. Anyway, I won't be posting for a looooong time. About an hour ago marked the beginning of the rehearsal for a wedding that I am in, so from now until after the reception tomorrow, I'm not going to be on.

Gwathagor, Javan's speech might make Crabannan seriously peeved.

-- Folwren
Old 05-23-2008, 05:32 PM   #287
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

It very well might.
Old 05-24-2008, 05:36 AM   #288
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Your turn, Lhuna!

Wow! That ended up being a long post! Saturday mornings are great for that.

Lommy, Foley, & Gwath, you now have Falco to deal with.
Old 05-24-2008, 06:34 AM   #289
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Hmmm... I daresay that list with a dozen eo's looks a bit bad. Surely they all can't be named Eo-something?

The situation te,pts me but I'm afraid I won't have time to write before Monday. But I think you can continue it well without Cnebba doing anything special...
Old 05-24-2008, 02:25 PM   #290
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Oh, and on "blasted Norman thugs", I second the motion.
Thirded (or seconded if you caount my last post as saying this, btw, I've always said this)

ANYWAY...

Hopefully I'll get to post today if shaggydog PMs me. If not then I might still post but it will be quite short.
Old 05-24-2008, 02:30 PM   #291
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
Hmmm... I daresay that list with a dozen eo's looks a bit bad. Surely they all can't be named Eo-something?
In modern English, the "cognate" prefix is "Al": Alfred, Albert, Allen, Alden, Aldo, Aldous, Alger, Alston, Alvin. So we could avoid using such names, considering that most men aren't named any of these at all, anymore. The alternate common thread in Eorling life was Theoden and Theodred. But there was also Erkenbrand, Hama, and so forth. So it appears that the "eo" was reserved for the higher classes. Hmmm! So Eodwine is perhaps named above his original station! Hmmm!

Firefoot: as per "peculiar look", I suppose you're thinking of Eodwine's wish not to cut down the trees on the Scarburg property. If I am correct in that, then the peculiar look wouldn't occur, because the wood Stigend is going to fetch will come from OFF the Scarburg property, and if wood is needed for the animal pens, then it's just simply needed, and Eodwine is enough of a realist to understand that. If I misunderstand what you're doing, please let me know.

Last edited by littlemanpoet; 05-24-2008 at 03:46 PM.
Old 05-24-2008, 09:03 PM   #292
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Lommy, Foley, & Gwath, you now have Falco to deal with.
Thank'ee. It appears that Javan is in Falco's debt, for he saved him from, if not a throttling, at least a shaking.

I don't know when I'll post next. Maybe tomorrow, but I'd rather wait for Lommy to post. Or Elempi.

-- Folwren
Old 05-25-2008, 06:35 AM   #293
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Foley, I've put words in Javan's mouth. Please check and let me know if I need to change anything.

Gwath, seems your character can't help getting into scrapes of one kind or another.
Old 05-25-2008, 09:50 AM   #294
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Crabapple? CRABAPPLE?!
Old 05-25-2008, 11:49 AM   #295
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
Foley, I've put words in Javan's mouth. Please check and let me know if I need to change anything.
No, it looks alright, mostly. He's still rather heated, so if you want him to exagerate the other boys' transgressions even more, then he could, but that's not necessary.

-- Folwren
Old 05-25-2008, 03:15 PM   #296
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Crabapple? CRABAPPLE?!
That's Falco for you. Anything that sounds foreign to him he'll figure out a Shire way to say it.
Old 05-25-2008, 04:31 PM   #297
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Ok, Falco, let's see what you've got.

EDIT: Crabannan has been behaving rather poorly, hasn't he? Not a good example for the young fellas...I promise he's not always like this, though. Give him a chance and he might even play his harp for you.

Last edited by Gwathagor; 05-25-2008 at 04:39 PM.
Old 05-25-2008, 05:27 PM   #298
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Gwath, seems your character can't help getting into scrapes of one kind or another.
Like I said, it must be his destiny.

Quote:
Crabannan has been behaving rather poorly, hasn't he? Not a good example for the young fellas...I promise he's not always like this, though. Give him a chance and he might even play his harp for you.
Save that harp playing for the evening when Erbrand gets back because, If I remember correctly, I think had Erbrand can play the fiddle! I'll check his biography.

EDIT: Yes he does play the fiddle!

Also, I quite agree with Thinlomien about all the Eo's in the new name list, I think that the origional sounded much better.

Last edited by Groin Redbeard; 05-25-2008 at 05:33 PM.
Old 05-25-2008, 05:34 PM   #299
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren View Post
Oh, yay. Looks like an excellent roll model for the newly reformed Javan.

This could turn out extremely fun.
Indeed. I foresee Crabannan taking a liking to Javan (and perhaps vice-versa?), to whom he was probably rather similar as a kid.
Old 05-26-2008, 06:49 AM   #300
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Quote:
Just a note: my character, Eodwine, is named so in order to match Tolkien's chosen dialect of Anglo-Saxon, that of Mercia, which is the Norman term for 'the Mark'. So just as Eomer, so Eodwine. Which would change the above list, were we to follow the dialect, to:

1. Eothelward
2. Lithor
3. Wilcred
4. Eosmund
5. Eolfhere
6. Eolfric
7. Eolfred
8. Redwald

Do you want to go for these more Eorling dialectal versions, or stick to the original suggestions? Or a mix?
I was going to say, that the names I gave, Redwald, would actually be Rćdwald (Reodwald?) and Ćlfred.

And maybe, we could say that people from different Emnets had different Anglo-Saxon dialects, but that might be pushing it. I'm not an expert on how Tolkien wanted the Rohirrim (Eorlings?) to speak Englisc.
Old 05-26-2008, 06:59 AM   #301
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Quote:
I've seen where characters guess exactly right what is on the mind of another character, and it's usually too lucky or too easy, and actually serves to short-circuit good story opportunities. So next time you write a post for your character, think about what makes your character tick, so you can have an idea what wrong guesses he or she might make. I think you'll find it fun.
Oh yes, I was just giving Dan an uncanny powers of observation, being the Drűg that he is. But now that he's got used to Scarburg, he'll let his guard down, and thats when the fun can begin!
Old 05-26-2008, 07:22 AM   #302
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
I was going to say, that the names I gave, Redwald, would actually be Rćdwald (Reodwald?) and Ćlfred.
If I understand my etymology and linquistics correctly, the Ć sound was prominent in Wessex (the south near Winchester) whereas the Eo sound was prominent in Mercia (Oxford and surround).

Quote:
And maybe, we could say that people from different Emnets had different Anglo-Saxon dialects, but that might be pushing it. I'm not an expert on how Tolkien wanted the Rohirrim (Eorlings?) to speak Englisc.
I think this is a valid point, and one that Tolkien would have appreciated, especially considering that Anglo-Saxon England stretched across a rather hilly land (in general) that takes up less space than the plains of Cardolan (Rohan). Granted, the Anglo-Saxons had few horses whereas the horses of the Eorlingas turn Rohan's plains into a virtual highway such that dialects would arguably be minimized. It's a tough call. Anyway, I think we need not get ourselves bogged down in this too much. We can use any Anglo-Saxon name we like, be it Mercian, Wessexian, Kentish, East Anglian, Yorkish, take your pick.
Old 05-26-2008, 07:46 AM   #303
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Quote:
If I understand my etymology and linquistics correctly, the Ć sound was prominent in Wessex (the south near Winchester) whereas the Eo sound was prominent in Mercia (Oxford and surround).
I wasn't doubting your supreme knowledge of linguistics, Elempi.
Old 05-26-2008, 08:01 AM   #304
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
I wasn't doubting your supreme knowledge of linguistics, Elempi.
Supreme???? Hah! The only thing I've ever been supreme in is folly.
Old 05-26-2008, 08:43 AM   #305
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Wow, I've so much (relatively speaking) to catch up on! This is incredible.

I'll put up my post for Ginna tomorrow, Elempi.
Old 05-26-2008, 05:32 PM   #306
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

lmp, I gave Falco a few lines. I think they're in character, but you might want to check them over regardless. Hope I didn't mess anything up.
Old 05-26-2008, 09:09 PM   #307
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Weeeell...I was going to post, but Gwath got there first and I now really don't have anything of interest to write. I may tomorrow, if there is the slim chance that I have any time.

If I do not have time tomorrow, then I must bid you all farewell tonight. I am leaving tomorrow morning sometime to begin my summer working at a camp. I will not return home again until June 6, and whether or not I will have any chance of checking the BD while at camp, I do not know. On the 6th, I doubt I'll have much time, though, because I'm probably taking off immediately for out of town...

Anyway, excepting the next two weeks in which I do not get the weekend off, I will be back every weekend from Friday afternoon to Sunday afternoon. This will last until the third week into July. So...until then, don't really expect me to post much during the week because, quite frankly, I won't.

I'll try hard to post for Javan before leaving tomorrow.

-- Folwren
Old 05-27-2008, 12:08 AM   #308
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Falco: delaying tactics.

Gwath, Crabapple - I mean Crabannan is simply endearing. I'd rep you, but there's that rule...

Nydfara is a beautiful name, Firefoot. And Scyld's as irresistably charming as he was in AiE.

Elempi, the floor is yours. (And I probably shouldn't be saying this, but I could have responded for Ginna and still come up with exactly the same thing. Yes, this female on the keyboard doth think too much. )

Last edited by Lhunardawen; 05-27-2008 at 12:15 AM.
Old 05-27-2008, 06:47 AM   #309
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Have great time, Folwrey. We'll watch over Saeryn&Javan(&Thornden) if they need to be watched over.
Old 05-27-2008, 08:29 AM   #310
shaggydog
Animated Skeleton

shaggydog has just left Hobbiton.
Eonwe, I tried to send you a PM but your box is full.

I will try to get a post up today/tonight.
Old 05-27-2008, 08:36 AM   #311
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren View Post
Weeeell...I was going to post, but Gwath got there first and I now really don't have anything of interest to write.
Oops, sorry.
Old 05-27-2008, 09:17 AM   #312
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
lmp, I gave Falco a few lines. I think they're in character, but you might want to check them over regardless. Hope I didn't mess anything up.
Looks okay except for that "sirrah", which is Shakespearian and way above his station. He'd probably say "Master Crabapple" again.
Old 05-27-2008, 09:53 AM   #313
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Good job on the post, Gwathagor, I thought that Crabannan would never get out of that predicament!

I'm starting a post for the hunting party today, but I need to know if anybody here has
written for Balvir or Matrim. If anyone has written, or read a post, with them in it I would greatly appreciate it if you could fill me in on their personalities.
Old 05-27-2008, 05:36 PM   #314
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Quote:
Looks okay except for that "sirrah", which is Shakespearian and way above his station. He'd probably say "Master Crabapple" again.
Ok.
Old 05-28-2008, 04:54 AM   #315
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin Redbeard View Post
I'm starting a post for the hunting party today, but I need to know if anybody here has written for Balvir or Matrim. If anyone has written, or read a post, with them in it I would greatly appreciate it if you could fill me in on their personalities.
Back on the old Eorling Mead Hall rpg thread, Nerindel posted for Matrim and I think also for Balvir. Go to Members List (just at the top of this "page" next to "User CP" and "FAQ"), and find Nerindel, then choose to look at all posts by her; that's probably the easiest way to find it.

Lhuna, I'll try to post today for Harreld.

What's happening with Saeryn, Modtryth and the rest?

Falco Boffin is now officially gone from this rpg.
Old 05-28-2008, 07:05 AM   #316
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Surprise.

NAME: Randvér

AGE/GENDER/RACE/WHERE FROM: 45, male, Eorling from the north of the Middle Emnet

APPEARANCE: has blonde hair and hard, blue eyes, stands 6'1", of strong build but not bulky, looks slightly younger than he actually is

BITS OF CHARACTER/HISTORY YOU FEEL MIGHT BE HELPFUL IN DEFINING THE CHARACTER: A small lord and landowner, he is Ginna's father and a widower - his beautiful wife Ayessa had died shortly before the War of the Ring. He fought alongside Eodwine in the War and there gained the soon-to-be Eorl's friendship. He is stern of character, and became more so after his wife's death, holding on too tightly to his grief. There is a natural state of misunderstanding between him and Ginna, perhaps owing to the fact that his only child did not turn out to be the son he so wanted. He tried to bring up Ginna as he would a son, anyway, teaching her the use of a sword, but the beauty Ginna had inherited from her mother worked against his purpose. Out of frustration with what he discovered to be her daughter's, um, unladylike ways, he sent her to work for Eodwine, although deep in his heart he found it hard to let go of her.

~*~

I know he's technically my character, Elempi, but I'd appreciate your input, if you have any to offer.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

POSTED ~*~ Pio

Last edited by piosenniel; 05-28-2008 at 02:20 PM.
Old 05-28-2008, 09:12 AM   #317
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Seems like an interesting contrast, Lhuna, of beauty and unladylike. Is the beauty natural and the unladylikeness the result of being brought up like a son? So that it's actually Randvér's fault that his daughter is not a proper daughter and not a proper son either?
Old 05-28-2008, 06:45 PM   #318
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Quote:
Seems like an interesting contrast, Lhuna, of beauty and unladylike. Is the beauty natural and the unladylikeness the result of being brought up like a son? So that it's actually Randvér's fault that his daughter is not a proper daughter and not a proper son either?
The beauty is natural, yes, and initially a source of pride (much more conspicuously for her mother than her father, of course). The unladylikeness is partly a result of improper rearing, and mostly of loneliness brought about by her mother's premature demise and her father being mostly absent and distant. (Remember the rumours Randvér heard? Surely that isn't how a lady of her status is supposed to act?)

As for your second question, why, you actually answered it best through Eodwine's observation back when he first met Ginna:
Quote:
Eodwine did see, but he thought he saw more than Ginna's father did. The ire lay on both sides and wrongs would have to be admitted on both sides one day, but today was many days too early for such words. He liked the girl's spirit, and truth be told, saw that it told true that she was his daughter.
That Ginna is not wholly a daughter (so to speak), and lonely to boot, is Randvér's fault, but I would have expected Ginna to have learned enough from her mother not to 'retaliate' on Randvér the way she did.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:58 AM   #319
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Whoa! Now there's an unexpected twist! You realize, of course, Lhuna (of course you do ), that Harreld could infer at least three different implications out of her words: 1, that she likes his company, 2, that she wishes to spend time with him, and 3, that she's willing to be courted after all. "If you will have me" indeed!

I shall have to ponder Harreld's thoughts and reply before I post.
Old 05-29-2008, 07:58 PM   #320
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elempi
Back on the old Eorling Mead Hall rpg thread, Nerindel posted for Matrim and I think also for Balvir. Go to Members List (just at the top of this "page" next to "User CP" and "FAQ"), and find Nerindel, then choose to look at all posts by her; that's probably the easiest way to find it.
Sorry I haven't noticed this before, but there's an easier way. (And a lot of good this will do, now Groin had already posted , but I'll say it anyway for future reference.) Click on the number of replies to the EMH thread, that's a link to the members who have posted to the thread. Look for Nerindel and click on the number of posts next to her name, that's a link to all her posts to the thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elempi
Whoa! Now there's an unexpected twist! You realize, of course, Lhuna (of course you do ), that Harreld could infer at least three different implications out of her words: 1, that she likes his company, 2, that she wishes to spend time with him, and 3, that she's willing to be courted after all. "If you will have me" indeed!

I shall have to ponder Harreld's thoughts and reply before I post.
I did realise that, and I can't wait to see where this goes! Truth be told, Ginna herself isn't sure what she really wants to happen; she's too focused on the present to give any thought to the future.