Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2015, 08:43 PM   #361
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Folwren, you are correct, I made Cinderfoot up just for this encounter. I guess her ownership could go a couple ways. I'm speculating here, but it seems sensible that prior to Leof starting up his little breeding program most of the horses at the Hall would belong to a specific person (and that is probably still the case). But maybe now the Hall could have acquired some mares for breeding (it could be profitable), and Cinderfoot could be one if those - in which case it would be reasonable for Eoghan to eventually end up with the foal. Thoughts (from anyone)?

Either way though the decision would not be Leof's, so he'll think of a gentle way to deflect the questIon...
Old 09-13-2015, 10:08 PM   #362
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Classes start tomorrow and I have an interview in the evening, so probably no post from me tomorrow. This whole week is a bit crazy, actually, but on Tuesday I might have some time.
Old 09-14-2015, 03:33 AM   #363
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren View Post
Legate, I insinuated Stefnu's reaction. I hope all is well there.
Nice Will try to produce a response before I rush off today.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 09-14-2015, 04:06 AM   #364
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Leaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefoot View Post
Folwren, you are correct, I made Cinderfoot up just for this encounter. I guess her ownership could go a couple ways. I'm speculating here, but it seems sensible that prior to Leof starting up his little breeding program most of the horses at the Hall would belong to a specific person (and that is probably still the case). But maybe now the Hall could have acquired some mares for breeding (it could be profitable), and Cinderfoot could be one if those - in which case it would be reasonable for Eoghan to eventually end up with the foal. Thoughts (from anyone)?

Either way though the decision would not be Leof's, so he'll think of a gentle way to deflect the questIon...
Only that it seems like Cinderfoot's foal would be quite a lot of horse for even a young Eorling for quite some time.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Old 09-14-2015, 06:10 AM   #365
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
Only that it seems like Cinderfoot's foal would be quite a lot of horse for even a young Eorling for quite some time.
Yes, that's my thought, too. He's yet young for any unbroken horse. By the time the foal is old enough to be trained, Eoghan will be merely 7 or 8. The horse will be quite large by then.
Old 09-14-2015, 07:38 AM   #366
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Right, I agree about it being too much horse for him, but Leof isn't going to want to tell him that... the explanation though will depend somewhat on who the horse might belong to. Plus it's useful to me in general to have an idea of the makeup of the stables.

I guess when I said "it would be reasonable for Eoghan to end up with the foal" I meant it in an ownership sense, not that it would be a good idea. Hope this clears things up.
Old 09-14-2015, 11:55 AM   #367
Undómë
Shade of Carn Dûm

Undómë has just left Hobbiton.
We’ve been reading along, Arry, Envinyatar, and I, as this story unfolds. We appreciate how well it’s written and how the energy between the characters already established flows so smoothly. Honestly, though, we can’t see how our little group of characters might fit in.

Looking at our characters, we think they are more suited to an action-oriented type of game play, not for the deep character introspection and development your group is so skilled at.

Having come to this realization, we are going to withdraw from this RPG – hopefully to play with all you in another game at some time. We’ll remove our few posts from the game as they do nothing at present to enhance the game’s play.
Young she was and yet not so. The braids of her dark hair were touched by no frost, her white arms and clear face were flawless and smooth, and the light of stars was in her bright eyes, grey as a cloudless night . . .
Old 09-14-2015, 12:17 PM   #368
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Oh, oh dear....

Please, at least do not delete the extant posts. I can only speak for myself but they were an enhancement.

Edit...too late...

Last edited by Mithalwen; 09-14-2015 at 12:23 PM.
Old 09-14-2015, 12:23 PM   #369
Arry
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arry has just left Hobbiton.
The last of the posts for the forest dwellers are deleted (I hope!) I was the tail-ender to do so - Pio, please look through those first 2 pages and take any off that we didn't see. Thanks!

nb: Mithalwen, there was no point to those character posts for this game. Maybe we can use them in one way or another on some other playing field.

- A -
Old 09-14-2015, 12:29 PM   #370
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Reader pleasure? An unexplored vista? Because they were good?

Old 09-14-2015, 12:32 PM   #371
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Hmmmm... well that's a fine kettle of fish.....

Don't know why I said that, but I've always liked that phrase and wanted to use it!

Anyway, back to reality - I checked the game thread, Arry, Envinyatar, Undómë: all your posts are off it.

~*~ Pio
Old 09-14-2015, 07:00 PM   #372
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Aww, that's a shame, guys. I was looking forward to seeing your characters come in and bring some fresh life into the Hall... And having introspective posts certainly does not diminish the value of more adventure-like posts. I would really urge you guys to reconsider your decision. I believe Pio has some necromantic power over deleted posts and might still be able to resurrect yours if you change your mind about leaving the game?...
Old 09-14-2015, 08:39 PM   #373
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Agree with G55 for what it's worth.
Old 09-15-2015, 06:24 AM   #374
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

I am really I am wondering if it is worth going on. I thought tis was meant to be a successor to the old inns, done in part to encourage people to role play, if we are truly such miserable introverts that even experienced playeys don't feel able to or just don't want to join in then that ia a failure. I would have thought that a degree of introspection is inevitable when new characters are settling.

Old 09-15-2015, 06:32 AM   #375
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Don't let it influence you, Mith, you're well within the game now!
Old 09-15-2015, 12:39 PM   #376
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
I'm sorry to hear that, Undómë, Arry and Envinyatar! I enjoyed your posts and was looking forward to interacting with your characters too. I do understand your frustrations too - we are a bit of a slow bunch sometimes.

However, as you can see, many of us old writers are a little inactive, and that's more of a reason why I think we definitely shouldn't stay in our "comfort zone" - insofar as such a common comfort zone even exists. With the influx of new writers also new writing styles and plots are more than welcome. If you guys would like to stay and discuss future plotlines and pacing for the Meadhall, I'd personally be willing to sort out this "kettle of fish" as pio calls it. I think an active Meadhall with motivated new and old writers would be the ideal.

Take your time? I think if you guys want to come back, you can repost your old posts anytime you want, I doubt we have moved too far ahead in the time frame...

~*~

That being said, I'm finally back. So sorry for my inactivity - first I was having my summer holiday, then I just started my internship two weeks ago and I've been simply exhausted (too many new things and too early mornings for a night owl like me). I'm getting back on track now, though. I will write for all my characters today/ in the next couple of days AND I will also try to poke Nogrod and Kath.

Folwren, I see you posted our PM post. Thanks for organizing it! I also see you added a couple of lines, that was a cute ending.

Galadriel, I'm so sorry I left you hanging with the Ledwyn/Brith thing! Do you still have something you'd like to write with me, or should we just see where the story goes? Either is fine by me.

Also: added Balan to my list. I'm looking forward to seeing him in the hall!

Mith - a very belated reply to the Elfthain/Wilheard discussion, but yeah, let's assume Wilheard hasn't figured out (bothered to figure out? ) Elfthain's family connections yet.

Elempi, Eodwine has been ill and busy. Do I assume correctly that he could've easily forgotten Wilheard for a couple of days, especially if Wilheard's been mostly keeping to his own ompany or that of his ill-tempered horse (and maybe sometimes that of the soldiers)? Athanar's letter would've told Eodwine to find some use for Wilheard, but I think he'll shirk his responsibilities as long as he can - not because he's exactly lazy, but rather because he's depressed and unmotivated. Unless you - or someone else! - has better ideas, I'll assume Wilheard's been sort of avoiding official duties and moping around for the past couple of days, as a highborn guest rather than as a man of the hall with responsibilities of his own.
Old 09-15-2015, 03:21 PM   #377
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

I am excited to see more of Brith! I think she'll be fun.
Old 09-15-2015, 04:55 PM   #378
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
I really like all the last posts! This is really nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
However, as you can see, many of us old writers are a little inactive, and that's more of a reason why I think we definitely shouldn't stay in our "comfort zone" - insofar as such a common comfort zone even exists. With the influx of new writers also new writing styles and plots are more than welcome. If you guys would like to stay and discuss future plotlines and pacing for the Meadhall, I'd personally be willing to sort out this "kettle of fish" as pio calls it. I think an active Meadhall with motivated new and old writers would be the ideal.

Take your time? I think if you guys want to come back, you can repost your old posts anytime you want, I doubt we have moved too far ahead in the time frame..
And I would basically second this. As for the older posts of yours, I also thought they were nice, and if nothing else their value could really be there for future readers. But like Lommy said, take your time. It was anyway nice having you around, and if you decide to come back, we'll be happy to see you around.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 09-15-2015, 06:16 PM   #379
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Galadriel, I'm so sorry I left you hanging with the Ledwyn/Brith thing! Do you still have something you'd like to write with me, or should we just see where the story goes? Either is fine by me.

Also: added Balan to my list. I'm looking forward to seeing him in the hall!
Thanks! I'm looking forward to writing him. I figured I'll introduce him when Ledwyn gets out of most of her messes.

I was thinking of having Ledwyn approach Brith at one point and try to communicate - and could even do it now if you have no better occupation planned for her. RL is the main obstacle now, since I have to catch up with my readings and whatnot. I'll see if I can sneak in a post for Ledwyn concluding the previous mess before I throw her into another.

In the meantime, since it might take me a while to write the next post, if anyone wants to randomly interact with her - Saeryn? Brith? Stefnu? Anyone at all? - feel free to post or to involve her in your posts.
Old 09-16-2015, 04:51 AM   #380
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Lommy, your plan for Wilheard works for me.

If people feel like they don't fit, then that's their choice. I'm saddened by it because I liked what they brought, and it could have been worked out if they had chosen to broach the subject with us instead of just breaking the news; but that's their choice. We shall move on.
Old 09-16-2015, 09:51 AM   #381
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
I was thinking of having Ledwyn approach Brith at one point and try to communicate - and could even do it now if you have no better occupation planned for her. RL is the main obstacle now, since I have to catch up with my readings and whatnot. I'll see if I can sneak in a post for Ledwyn concluding the previous mess before I throw her into another.

In the meantime, since it might take me a while to write the next post, if anyone wants to randomly interact with her - Saeryn? Brith? Stefnu? Anyone at all? - feel free to post or to involve her in your posts.
What about - if you have time, have Ledwyn approach Brith at breakfast, and if not, we can see later. I invented this project of sewing new clothes for the Meadhall residents, and I imagine all the household women who don't have a strict occupation (Frodides and Kara basically?) and who can and want to sew would be involved at least to some degree. And Saeryn herself would take part too? Folwren? I also just ralised I know very little of sewing and especially medieval sewing so I may need to do some research. Anyway, I think this would be a good excuse for the women to gather around and gossip - even though they of course have a lot of other things to do too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMP
Lommy, your plan for Wilheard works for me.
Okay, so we'll see what happens first - Eodwine remembers Athanar tasked him with putting Wilheard to some use, Wilheard decides to man up and do something about it, or someone else (Thornden? Saeryn?) notes that Wilheard is just idling and asks Eodwine about it. Like, personally, I don't have any plans for him. I don't even know what he could feasibly do, what kind of positions are there in the household and such. He would probably be the happiest as a soldier - despite the fact that he dislikes Thornden and wouldn't like to take orders from him - (or at the stables) but I doubt he has given the thing much thought, also I don't know if as the previous eorl's son that would be below his station somehow? Not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren
I am excited to see more of Brith! I think she'll be fun.
Thank you! I think she's a bit like Ledwyn - she has the potential to cause chaos...
Old 09-16-2015, 01:01 PM   #382
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Foley, I have put some words into Thornden's mouth. Let me know if you want changes.

I have given the Kings Guard a similar reputation to that of the Household Cavalry - the lower officer ranks acting as a bit of a finishing school for young males of the elite although also producing some truly outstanding and charismatic leaders. I will edit if there are objections.

Last edited by Mithalwen; 09-16-2015 at 01:15 PM.
Old 09-16-2015, 03:23 PM   #383
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
I invented this project of sewing new clothes for the Meadhall residents, and I imagine all the household women who don't have a strict occupation (Frodides and Kara basically?) and who can and want to sew would be involved at least to some degree. And Saeryn herself would take part too? Folwren?
Sure, I can imagine she'll take part. There will always have to be several ladies working in the kitchen, no matter the time of day, though.

Quote:
Okay, so we'll see what happens first - Eodwine remembers Athanar tasked him with putting Wilheard to some use, Wilheard decides to man up and do something about it, or someone else (Thornden? Saeryn?) notes that Wilheard is just idling and asks Eodwine about it. Like, personally, I don't have any plans for him. I don't even know what he could feasibly do, what kind of positions are there in the household and such. He would probably be the happiest as a soldier - despite the fact that he dislikes Thornden and wouldn't like to take orders from him - (or at the stables) but I doubt he has given the thing much thought, also I don't know if as the previous eorl's son that would be below his station somehow? Not?
Thornden would be more likely than Saeryn to notice. It's within his domain, so to speak. When would that be? Before or after breakfast?

Quote:
Foley, I have put some words into Thornden's mouth. Let me know if you want changes.
Looks fine. It seemed like something he'd say.
Old 09-16-2015, 05:01 PM   #384
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
What about - if you have time, have Ledwyn approach Brith at breakfast, and if not, we can see later.
I thought breakfast was the perfect opportunity, but it's certainly not the only one. So if the rest of you move on by the time I clear up my homework, I'll just find another way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lommy
I invented this project of sewing new clothes for the Meadhall residents, and I imagine all the household women who don't have a strict occupation (Frodides and Kara basically?) and who can and want to sew would be involved at least to some degree. And Saeryn herself would take part too? Folwren? I also just ralised I know very little of sewing and especially medieval sewing so I may need to do some research. Anyway, I think this would be a good excuse for the women to gather around and gossip - even though they of course have a lot of other things to do too.
Ledwyn would probably participate. If the clothing is fancy enough, maybe she can even get creative - in the jump posts somewhere I mentioned that she learned some rudimentary ME equivalent of macrame and possibly weaving, which would come in handy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lommy
Thank you! I think she's a bit like Ledwyn - she has the potential to cause chaos...
In a completely not intentional way.

Quote:
I have given the Kings Guard a similar reputation to that of the Household Cavalry - the lower officer ranks acting as a bit of a finishing school for young males of the elite although also producing some truly outstanding and charismatic leaders. I will edit if there are objections.
I actually like that part a lot, Mith. I think it's a reasonable description, and a not entirely unfair reputation. It's a nice touch.
Old 09-19-2015, 08:50 AM   #385
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Regarding Rowenna

For any of you posting things related to the mead hall and/or the kitchen, feel free to take note that Rowenna is in a bad mood and not hiding it well. In fact, so poorly that she may be "kicked out for her own good."
Old 09-19-2015, 10:08 AM   #386
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Oh, interesting. What would Rowenna do if she were the one who four Ruari in the kitchen with the honey?
Old 09-19-2015, 03:49 PM   #387
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

I hope she doesn't drop it.

Old 09-19-2015, 05:42 PM   #388
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
I hope she doesn't drop it.
Well, the thought has many times crossed my mind. In fact, when I first wrote it, I planned on it, and then I wasn't quite ready to commit myself (or her) to what might follow.
Old 09-19-2015, 07:09 PM   #389
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Rowenna is tough and spirited, and she likes that in Ruari. She'd get down on her level and go conspiratorial, with the goal of keeping Ruari from getting in worse trouble but not telling on her. Maybe not the best way to handle it, but that's Rowenna.
Old 09-19-2015, 08:20 PM   #390
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet View Post
Rowenna is tough and spirited, and she likes that in Ruari. She'd get down on her level and go conspiratorial, with the goal of keeping Ruari from getting in worse trouble but not telling on her. Maybe not the best way to handle it, but that's Rowenna.
Oooh! She is a bad influence!
Old 09-19-2015, 08:31 PM   #391
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Oooh! She is a bad influence!
My kind of person! Down with the tattletalers! (Ledwyn might not agree, though)
Old 09-19-2015, 09:07 PM   #392
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Tattlers are no fun, but getting conspiratorial with a child after she broke the rules is quite another thing.
Old 09-20-2015, 05:53 AM   #393
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

I have to remember that Rowenna is really angry at the moment. I suppose she could get kicked out of the kitchen and "stumble upon" Ruari, just sneaking out of the mead hall with the jar of honey. How would that work?
Old 09-20-2015, 09:27 AM   #394
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Tattlers are no fun, but getting conspiratorial with a child after she broke the rules is quite another thing.
That's true. Though I think in Rowenna's place, I would find my own way of "dealing with" the child and keep mum to Saeryn.
Old 09-20-2015, 12:16 PM   #395
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
I have to remember that Rowenna is really angry at the moment. I suppose she could get kicked out of the kitchen and "stumble upon" Ruari, just sneaking out of the mead hall with the jar of honey. How would that work?
Sure. I'll try to post sometime about Ruari climbing down and sneaking out.
Old 09-22-2015, 03:04 PM   #396
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Rowenna always saw everything.

I'll have to think about this. Post soon.
Old 09-24-2015, 04:52 AM   #397
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Plot knot

Foley, Eodwine has already left the hall and is looking for Wilheard. Maybe he, not finding him anywhere outside, and because it's threatening rain, comes in and finds Wilheard at his breakfast?

If that works we can leave your post as is.
Old 09-24-2015, 06:16 AM   #398
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Oh! Man. I knew that! I read your post but didn't register it, apparently.

I can take out that last part of Eoghan's. When Eoghan sees Eodwine, then he'll ask. It's fine. Eoghan and I won't forget.

EDIT: Ok, I edited my post on the game thread. I am thinking of sending Eoghan back to sit with Thornden, Léof, Elfthain, and Javan. I think I'll have him arrive there after Elfthain and Léof have talk about Ruari wanting to learn to ride and about Elfthain having to ride bareback and all, so his presence doesn't interrupt the conversation. I'll write another post later.

Last edited by Folwren; 09-24-2015 at 06:24 AM.
Old 09-24-2015, 06:32 PM   #399
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Lommy, where will Eodwine find Wilheard?
Old 09-25-2015, 03:52 AM   #400
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Lommy, where will Eodwine find Wilheard?
Lommy is away from internet until Sunday, but she told me to pass on, I quote: Maybe Eodwine could run into him when he's coming back from his morning ride? Or if that seems inconvenient, maybe he can be say practising archery with one or two (random) soldiers?