Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2015, 02:16 PM   #81
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
I have been rereading Wulfric and Wilheard's old posts. Boy those two managed to poke their noses into many things and cause a lot of chaos. I'm also writing down for myself that Wilheard is a lot meaner than I thought, thinks Scarburg is a cursed place, probably has ADHD, has no head for drinking (this should be fun!) and often needs to pee. (Seriously, he tells that to his brother twice in all their 20-ish posts.)

I also found an NPC soldier called Osmund, originally from Scarburg. He was quick to befriend Athanar's men, and seems jolly and jovial by nature. (He has a very long monologue about the beautiful women of Scarburg in one of my posts.) I'll add him to my list of characters. Anyone else remember any NPCs that would likely be around (ie. probably not Athanar's soldiers)*, please remind me and we can keep them.

* speaking of which, what about those that are definitely going to be around? Did Hilderinc and Áforglaed, for instance, spend the Hard Winter in Scarburg, or did they ride to Edoras with Athanar and come back with Wilheard? Legate?

Firefoot, duly noted. I edited what my list says about Scyld.
Old 06-16-2015, 02:29 PM   #82
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
I have been rereading Wulfric and Wilheard's old posts. Boy those two managed to poke their noses into many things and cause a lot of chaos. I'm also writing down for myself that Wilheard is a lot meaner than I thought, thinks Scarburg is a cursed place, probably has ADHD, has no head for drinking (this should be fun!) and often needs to pee. (Seriously, he tells that to his brother twice in all their 20-ish posts.)
I really think he seems like a fun character. He should contribute to make things more lively around...

Quote:
* speaking of which, what about those that are definitely going to be around? Did Hilderinc and Áforglaed, for instance, spend the Hard Winter in Scarburg, or did they ride to Edoras with Athanar and come back with Wilheard? Legate?
See my last post on the old Scarburg thread (not the discussion thread, the actual thread). Hilderinc and Áforglaed at least would be spending winter already in Scarburg, or that's how I assumed it to be (Athanar leaves and delegates some of his men who will be left behind and helping Eodwine as extra hands, so that Scarburg isn't suddenly low on manforce. That probably would also logically imply we do not have that many more actual guards, otherwise Athanar wouldn't need to do that).
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 06-16-2015, 03:28 PM   #83
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
See my last post on the old Scarburg thread (not the discussion thread, the actual thread). Hilderinc and Áforglaed at least would be spending winter already in Scarburg, or that's how I assumed it to be (Athanar leaves and delegates some of his men who will be left behind and helping Eodwine as extra hands, so that Scarburg isn't suddenly low on manforce. That probably would also logically imply we do not have that many more actual guards, otherwise Athanar wouldn't need to do that).
Thanks! Duly noted.

And I have good news:

1) I now have a draft for the first post. So, whenever you guys are ready to roll, I can finish and post it.

2) I heard back from Kath already and she says she'll be back! Probably just writing one of Frodides and Kara, but she doesn't yet know which one. I nudged her to pop by.
Old 06-16-2015, 03:36 PM   #84
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Thanks! Duly noted.

And I have good news:

1) I now have a draft for the first post. So, whenever you guys are ready to roll, I can finish and post it.

2) I heard back from Kath already and she says she'll be back! Probably just writing one of Frodides and Kara, but she doesn't yet know which one. I nudged her to pop by.
to both those things.
Old 06-16-2015, 04:21 PM   #85
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

I know I have way too many characters already, but I just couldn't resist when I remembered I had a character in the Green Dragon Inn (nine years ago, eek) that I only wrote a couple of posts for. Terrible waste of a developed character, methinks. So, she's going to visit the Meadhall, and if I think I can juggle 3 1/2 characters and/or enjoy writing her very much, she may stay. I also added two NPC soldiers that might be interested in staying in Scarburg for longer.

~*~

NAME: Brith (short for Brithiel)

AGE/GENDER/RACE/WHERE FROM: 26, female, from the city of Calembel in Gondor

APPEARANCE: Brith is a beautiful woman with long black hair and sparkling dark eyes. She is slender, if not even too thin, and always well dressed.

BITS OF CHARACTER/HISTORY YOU FEEL MIGHT BE HELPFUL IN DEFINING THE CHARACTER: Brith is very kind, shy and sensitive. She relies more on emotion than reason, and her logic isn't always the easiest to follow. She has seen a lot of the world for a young woman, but is still prone to daydreaming.

Brith is the middle child born to a captain of the guard and a seamstress favoured by the Lady of Calembel. As a young maid she learnt her mother's craft, even though she never had her older sister's skill with needle and thread. She has also been somewhat reared in the manners befitting a court lady.

Following an unfortunate breaking of her engagement, Brith left Gondor seven years ago and hasn't been back since. She briefly visited the Shire and then made her way to Arnor, where her uncle is among the settlers re-establishing the North Kingdom in the name of King Elessar. In Arnor, Brith was once again engaged to be married, but things went awry for the second time.

Soon after, Brith decided to make her way back south. Her plan was to find her first betrothed, who had left her for an Eorling woman all those years ago, and finally lay the ghosts of her past to rest. She has now spent the winter in Edoras and learnt her former intended's wife is from a family near Scarburg, and consequently joined the caravan heading for the Meadhall.

~*~

Fréa and Caranthir are NPCs, freely to be used by any writer.

NAME: Fréa and Caranthir - 2 soldiers travelling with Brith

Since leaving Arnor, Brith has been travelling with two soldiers in their middle to late forties. Fréa, an Eorling, and Caranthir, a man of Gondor, are veterans of many wars together and nigh inseparable brothers-in-arms. In their old days, the two have sought more peaceful employment, protecting travelers and merchants across Middle-Earth. Recently they made a decision to return to Fréa's homeland, the Riddermark. They are currently seeking more permanent employment.

Brief descriptions of Fréa and Caranthir:

Fréa is tall and sandy-haired and has an amiable personality. Caranthir, more quiet and taciturn, is sturdy and has a salt-and-pepper beard. Caranthir speaks the language of the Men of the Mark fluently but with a Gondorian accent.

LINKED ~*~ Pio

Last edited by piosenniel; 07-14-2015 at 10:19 PM.
Old 06-16-2015, 04:34 PM   #86
Snowdog
Emperor of the South Pole

Snowdog is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Pipe

I have been working on some back story myself since I took a partially developed character from a past storyline and fit her in since the timeline and general geographic area (Greater Rohan) area is the same.
Old 06-17-2015, 04:54 AM   #87
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Might as well include Harreld and Garreth as my characters, you all know I'll end up writing for them. :P
Old 06-18-2015, 06:15 AM   #88
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

What all are we waiting on at this point?
Old 06-18-2015, 10:47 AM   #89
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Thumbs up

Quote:

I'm going to go on ahead and open the RPG Thread.

Thinlómien - when you are ready with that first post, please place it on the game thread.

Needless to say, all other writers please wait until she's done this before placing your post.

~*~ Pio
Old 06-18-2015, 07:21 PM   #90
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Let's do this!
Old 06-20-2015, 09:30 AM   #91
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

It's been three days since Lommy has logged in...
Old 06-20-2015, 02:12 PM   #92
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Alright alright! I thought you guys wanted to wait until the 23rd or when Folwren comes back. But personally I don't have any problem with starting now, so xpect the first post to be up within an hour.
Old 06-20-2015, 02:39 PM   #93
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Posted!

Let me know if you want me to add or change anything, it's not a bother at all.

I wrote the post with the assumption that basically all the folk of Scarburg Meadhall are assembling to greet the long-awaited food caravan, and Eodwine is out too. (Or maybe he isn't and Wilheard is just impatient to get things going. )

Anyway, Eodwine has been directly addressed by Wilheard now. I have no desire to write a long dialogue that will slow everyone else down too, so maybe LMP if you write for Eodwine now and put a couple of (polite but not too friendly ) words in Wilheard's mouth too, and they can probably have a longer chat on or off "screen" later?

Notable things for all writers: unless someone challenges my arbitrary decision, it's now late afternoon/ early evening. The caravan probably has several horses with them, lots of supplies, a bunch of soldiers and some civilians, including people that have never been seen at Scarburg before.

Let the madness begin...

Last edited by Thinlómien; 06-20-2015 at 02:47 PM.
Old 06-21-2015, 11:58 AM   #94
Undómë
Shade of Carn Dûm

Undómë has just left Hobbiton.
Arry and I will have a little series of posts that get us off toward the Meadhall. Our little family group will be there in a few days game-time...

Haesel and Fana have had time during the winter months to make unguents and salves and powders and will be bringing them in to trade for supplies at the Hall.
Young she was and yet not so. The braids of her dark hair were touched by no frost, her white arms and clear face were flawless and smooth, and the light of stars was in her bright eyes, grey as a cloudless night . . .
Old 06-22-2015, 07:26 PM   #95
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Anyone with characters in the caravan - feel free to engage Leof as he tries to get the horses sorted out.

Or, to those with characters in the Hall, Scyld will be starting to unload the food from his cart so he's around to run into too.

Old 06-23-2015, 02:31 PM   #96
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
I heard from Celuien and sadly she said she feels not able to join us, but she said, that if she has time in the future she'd rather then take a visiting character...

That means the destiny of Garstan and his children are in our hands.

I talked about it with Foley on our way to the airport this morning and with Lommy later on the day, and we were kind of starting to favor the idea that Garstan could have died during the winter (giving his share of scarce food to his children and working like a bull to benefit others) and then getting a fever or something with an already weak body etc.

That would add a lot of drama with the two children being orphaned by the winter and most probably being adopted by Stigend and Modtryth. We were already discussing the possible reactions of the children with Lommy: Garmund (now a teenager) would react violently not taking orders from Stigend as he is "not my dad - and you can't boss me around" and Leodthern (now 9 years old) might turn on blaming herself for his dad's death ("Why did I eat the stuff he gave me and now he's dead because of my selfishness!")... and Leodthern has also lost her idol Ginna, so we'd have a lot of drama for the kids on offer.

And in the end, Garstan was a nice chap - like Stigend they both are this kind of jovial, nice, dutiful, responsible professionals who always do the right thing etc. so losing him wouldn't be that much of a loss writing-wise as in the end (of our writing) Garstan and Stigend became to resemble each other a lot anyway.

Another thought on people who might have suffered or even died... how about the old Raban? The old master who was given the task of teaching Javan how to make a chainmail as a punishment / lesson to be learned (holding your temper, concentrating, learning patience, learning new skills...) by lord Athanar? He was old and weak already then - so he could be one of our named victims of the harsh winter as well?

Would Javan think of him as "good riddance" or start to mourn for him - or just learn something of his sudden disappearance?

Nice to see the wheels rolling!

PS. / ADD: The thought just came to me: if you Foley think Raban and Javan would have built something like a true connection it might be he didn't leave with Athanar's retinue before the winter as he thought he could teach this young lad a thing or two (and didn't find any foreseeable interesting challenges for his age otherwise) and saw his place there at the Mead Hall - and then died with the malnourishment and cold... It might add an interesting twist to Javan's character being forced to part with a good adult friend - or at least a person he would have learned to admire or at least to approve of? What do you think Foley?

Last edited by Nogrod; 06-23-2015 at 02:38 PM.
Old 06-23-2015, 03:56 PM   #97
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Really nice to see this rolling!

A disclaimer from my part - I have posted for both of my characters with the knowledge that I am now going to be probably without internet access for almost two weeks, so I did not feel like starting to engage them outright in a direct dialogue with someone. But if anyone wishes to utilise any of my characters in the background of their posts, feel free to do so: their place is kind of given, and if you wish, you can let them respond to a thing or two if it is useful for your posts (Firefoot, for instance?). (Hilderinc's right arm is a bit unsteady from his recent wound, so if you wish to have somebody drop something while unloading the carts, or any similar small accident just to add to the dynamics, you have my permission to use that as well.) Otherwise, they can be just expected to do whatever everyone else is doing.

Btw - Nogrod, you mentioned Frodides in your post, so how is it with her and Kara, are they both here and alive? (I was originally planning to include the names of some of the kitchen women in my post for Stefnu, but then I realised I am not certain about their presence or absence, so I let that be.)

Pio - I noticed in the list of characters, you still have "Áforglaed+wife" under my name, of course the "wife" in question would (eventually, possibly) be Stefnu; I just want to give it free development and a bit of time. So if you can just format it appropriately in some way so that it isn't confusing

Anyway, looking forward to more posts once I am back, everything so far looks great!

Changed Player/Character list Áforglaed is now fancy free

~*~ Pio
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories

Last edited by piosenniel; 06-23-2015 at 08:21 PM.
Old 06-23-2015, 04:06 PM   #98
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Btw - Nogrod, you mentioned Frodides in your post, so how is it with her and Kara, are they both here and alive? (I was originally planning to include the names of some of the kitchen women in my post for Stefnu, but then I realised I am not certain about their presence or absence, so I let that be.)
I thought I heard Kath was coming along and just ran into the conclusion that both of them are alive... We'll see, I can edit that post if it turns out Frodides is not around any more.

On another related issue: I made the post kind of presupposing that Garstan is dead, but the post also makes sense if he is still alive or has just disappeared like Ginna. So I'm not claiming he should be dead... Let's think about that together before establishing how it is with him.

I thought also Stigend was kind of introduced weirdly as: will be occasionally mentioned/brought in by another character, which he certainly is not. I mean he's my only character (one that is only mine) at the moment and I'd like to keep it that way.

But that's no problem. We can change it in time.
Old 06-23-2015, 04:47 PM   #99
Snowdog
Emperor of the South Pole

Snowdog is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Pipe

Wow... this really took off fast! I've been flat out at work and had no desire to spend my evening hours on a computer, so I'll work Halcwyn in by this weekend. If I get a break later this week, it will be sooner. Great posts so far everyone!
Old 06-23-2015, 08:18 PM   #100
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Nogrod, I like your ideas as to who does not survive the first hard winter.

I think that Rowenna will have come through this hard winter in fairly good condition, having learned dire survival skills among the brigands. She will, of course, be underweight, but pretty much well in body and mind.
Old 06-23-2015, 08:23 PM   #101
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Quote:
Pio - I noticed in the list of characters, you still have "Áforglaed+wife" under my name, of course the "wife" in question would (eventually, possibly) be Stefnu; I just want to give it free development and a bit of time. So if you can just format it appropriately in some way so that it isn't confusing

Changed Player/Character list Áforglaed is now fancy free

~*~ Pio
Old 06-23-2015, 08:38 PM   #102
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Speaking about character lists, I updated Theolain's bio to reflect the fact that he is now officially dead.

Speaking about other things, I will try to get a post in for Ledwyn in the next few days, but no promises. Nogrod mentioned sawdust in his post; I was gonna suggest another "last resort" - bleeding horses slightly to thicken broth/soup/whatever's for lunch. As far as I am aware, cows were bled a little bit each day during famines for this purpose, so why not horses?

Noted and changed Theolain on Player/Character List ~*~ Pio

Last edited by piosenniel; 06-23-2015 at 09:19 PM.
Old 06-23-2015, 09:02 PM   #103
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
I thought also Stigend was kind of introduced weirdly as: will be occasionally mentioned/brought in by another character, which he certainly is not. I mean he's my only character (one that is only mine) at the moment and I'd like to keep it that way.

But that's no problem. We can change it in time.

The Stigend addendum is changed now.

~*~ Pio
Old 06-24-2015, 01:06 AM   #104
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post

Speaking about other things, I will try to get a post in for Ledwyn in the next few days, but no promises. Nogrod mentioned sawdust in his post; I was gonna suggest another "last resort" - bleeding horses slightly to thicken broth/soup/whatever's for lunch. As far as I am aware, cows were bled a little bit each day during famines for this purpose, so why not horses?
If the Rohirrim would do such a thing... I mean, it crossed my mind whether they would eat horses and the answer was cathegorically no, "they treat them like their own children". Obviously if they did do the bleeding, they'd know how to do it painlessly, but still, it's more the question of principle?

Anyway, now I am really off for a while, but things look good here
Old 06-24-2015, 06:01 AM   #105
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

I'm with Legate, bleeding the horses seems like it would be uncharacteristic of the Rohirrim.
Old 06-24-2015, 07:28 AM   #106
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
If the Rohirrim would do such a thing... I mean, it crossed my mind whether they would eat horses and the answer was cathegorically no, "they treat them like their own children". Obviously if they did do the bleeding, they'd know how to do it painlessly, but still, it's more the question of principle?
True. Ah well.
Old 06-24-2015, 03:26 PM   #107
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Nogrod mentioned sawdust in his post; I was gonna suggest another "last resort" - bleeding horses slightly to thicken broth/soup/whatever's for lunch. As far as I am aware, cows were bled a little bit each day during famines for this purpose, so why not horses?
I think even the Mongols would have bled their horses - or at least eaten those who fell - if there was a major famine. Some Hindu-communities might have died rather than touched their cows though... So I think it is a question of their "practicality". As I think the "Rohanites" were not revering their horses in a deeply religious manner thinking they were the embodiment of the divine and possibly the vessels of their fellow-humans' upgraded souls, they should have at least eaten those horses who didn't survive the cold.

Thanks Pio for correcting that with Stigend. I might have just been unclear about my ideas about what I'm willing to do...
Old 06-24-2015, 03:41 PM   #108
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
I think even the Mongols would have bled their horses - or at least eaten those who fell - if there was a major famine. Some Hindu-communities might have died rather than touched their cows though... So I think it is a question of their "practicality". As I think the "Rohanites" were not revering their horses in a deeply religious manner thinking they were the embodiment of the divine and possibly the vessels of their fellow-humans' upgraded souls, they should have at least eaten those horses who didn't survive the cold.
I don't know. It seems more likely to me that they would bleed them a bit in the worst of times than eat the fallen. Their relationship was not religious, true, the Rohirrim didn't worship horses or anything but I imagine they did treat them like friends. People don't eat fallen friends. That's just wrong. But sometimes you have to exploit friends to the last bit, and I think they would have understood it that way. But we could leave the horses out of it altogether and avoid this problem. It was just a suggestion.
Old 06-24-2015, 04:31 PM   #109
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
But we could leave the horses out of it altogether and avoid this problem. It was just a suggestion.
If it turns out a problem, then we should just let the question pass...

I might think that kind of thing would add to the "realism" of the story, but if we're writing fantasy, then why try to be "realistic" in the first place?
Old 06-25-2015, 01:46 AM   #110
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Eating horses is a cultural taboo in England (though it has happened). I have heard the fear of unwittingly eating horse being cited as a reason not to travel and proof of the barbarity of foreigners. I have known others whose Tolkien reading ended with the dwarves ponies being eaten by goblins.

Very much food of last resort but the scarburgians may have got there. Maye they would have got like the Andean plane crash survivors who regarded it as sacramental.
Old 06-25-2015, 11:42 AM   #111
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Ok, finally got something up for Ledwyn. Feel free to interact with her, be you someone from the carts or whoever she bumped into from behind.
Old 06-25-2015, 02:24 PM   #112
Envinyatar
Quill Revenant

Envinyatar has just left Hobbiton.
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undómë View Post
Fana and Haesel

Fana hurried to a low bench near the fireplace and slipping her feet from the slippers wriggled her toes toward the flames. “Much better!” she thought to herself, feeling the chill dissipate. Leaning over toward the fire she reached out her hand to stir the small iron pot set near the heat. Old, hardened beeswax mixed with lanolin and a bit of bear’s fat from the bear haunch one of the huntsmen from the other side of the woods had shared with Gran. Well, not really shared… Gran had worked something special for the man and he had expressed his gratefulness. She had wanted to know what Gran had done, but the look in Gran’s eyes had told her this would be a lesson learned at a later time. Things ripen in their own time, she reminded herself.
Undómë (and Arry, too, of course!), do you mind if I flesh out that character and come with your group to the Hall?

And all you other Gamers, do you mind if I come on board?
Old 06-25-2015, 03:35 PM   #113
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

The more the merrier!
Old 06-25-2015, 09:05 PM   #114
Arry
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arry has just left Hobbiton.
Sounds like a good addition to our little group. Secg and Thystel will enjoy having another male to tip the scales in our favor!!

Looking forward to see how you work up the character!

- A -

Last edited by Arry; 07-05-2015 at 09:52 PM.
Old 06-26-2015, 03:10 PM   #115
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I have finally returned. I'm home from my long trip and will begin to catch up on what I missed. It may be slow going - things are busy here and I haven't been feeling well for a day or two. I will post as soon as I can. I am very excited to see this started!

I'm so glad so many people are joining! This should be fun.

-- Folwren
Old 06-26-2015, 04:28 PM   #116
Undómë
Shade of Carn Dûm

Undómë has just left Hobbiton.
Envinyatar - sounds great! Flesh away at the hunter fellow and drop on by....
Young she was and yet not so. The braids of her dark hair were touched by no frost, her white arms and clear face were flawless and smooth, and the light of stars was in her bright eyes, grey as a cloudless night . . .
Old 06-26-2015, 05:05 PM   #117
Envinyatar
Quill Revenant

Envinyatar has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Undómë View Post
Flesh away at the hunter fellow and drop on by...
Was hoping you'd say as such. Here he is. Let me know if you think anything needs a bit more fine tuning.

NAME: Heafoc

AGE/GENDER/RACE/WHERE FROM:

30 years; male; most likely Eorling, with possibly a Dunlander or so in the family mix; has a permanent living quarters in a large forested area just south of the Snowbourne and west of the Entwash – but is a nomadic hunter with out of the way places he camps in many of the forested areas.

APPEARANCE:

About 5 ft 8 inches; very stocky, muscular build; dark blondish, rather scraggly hair made even darker with oils and dirt due to his infrequent washings. Eye color is a nondescript brown. Lips are often set in a serious line – though he is fond of jokes and has a wide, infectious grin and laugh when something tickles his funny-bone. Skin is rough looking from his time living out in the elements. Clothes are non-descript earthy, dirty colors – thick-clothed breeches, homespun tunics. And in the colder times, he wears a multitude of layers to maintain some warmth, including a thick fur cape, gloves and thick leather mid-calf ankle-boots with fur wrappings as needed for the lower legs.

BITS OF CHARACTER/HISTORY YOU FEEL MIGHT BE HELPFUL:

A very straightforward fellow. Faithful to his promises and expects the same of others. Likes to be quiet and have a good look at people he’s never met before - before he’ll trust what comes out of their mouth. Nothing he likes more than getting to know somebody over a large mug of ale. He is an excellent huntsman and woodsman as that is what his father taught him, and to be truthful, he doesn’t see much to recommend the townish sort of life. Doesn’t do much growing of his own vegetables and grains – he trades for them in meats and what things others might need from the forest places that are his territory.

He fishes, traps, hunts with a goshawk named Anga for small animals; uses a bow, a club, an axe, a spear, a hunting knife as needed. Can use a sword, but thinks of it mostly as a weapon to use when facing a man.

He’s a widower – his wife died during the winter along with their new baby girl.

Linked ~*~ Pio

Last edited by Envinyatar; 07-05-2015 at 07:14 PM.
Old 06-28-2015, 05:35 PM   #118
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Inzil - I've had Leof approach Ladavan.

If any of you others with characters with horses would like your character to overhear and jump in, feel free.
Old 06-28-2015, 07:28 PM   #119
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Firefoot, he's answered. It helps that Ladavan and I are equally strange to the Meadhall. Cluelessness is not always easy to imitate.
Old 06-30-2015, 06:51 PM   #120
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

By the way, I was referencing Folwren's post here concerning the layout of the hall. Since Nogrod made mention of a woodworking shop, and I figure Harreld and Garreth had a real smithy by this point, I made reference of those buildings as well - I imagine them somewhere on the right side of the map.

This map is also quite useful, I think.