Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2015, 12:57 PM   #121
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Inzil - Leof already introduced himself.
Old 07-01-2015, 01:29 PM   #122
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.

It's been that kind of week (or three). Thanks.
Old 07-01-2015, 04:52 PM   #123
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
(I have been busy and slacking and forgetful, but I'll write something for all my characters during the remainder of this week, pinky promise!)
Old 07-01-2015, 08:55 PM   #124
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
(I have been busy and slacking and forgetful, but I'll write something for all my characters during the remainder of this week, pinky promise!)
I must say the same for myself (even though I have a lot less characters to write for than you do ). I have a very irregular schedule, so I can't sit down to write regularly. Just as I think, "I should have Ledwyn start talking to this person", someone else jumps in instead (which is probably for the better, since, once again, I can't always write in a regular and timely manner). But I was thinking of having Ledwyn just start a conversation with one of the newcomers - potentially Brith, if you're ok with that - unless someone wants to bump into her first.
Old 07-01-2015, 09:10 PM   #125
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Does anyone have any thoughts about where the unloaded goods are going? Just a pile in the main room of the Hall until things can get sorted out? Or directly to the kitchens with the food? (Trying to imagine how much stuff we're talking about...)

And is someone 'directing traffic'? Seems like a reasonable role for Thornden, maybe? Or is everyone sort of running amok?
Old 07-02-2015, 06:28 PM   #126
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Probably running amok. Eodwine is weak and therefore somewhat ill of mind (of some sort).
Old 07-03-2015, 09:17 PM   #127
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Done! Lommy, I avoided any specific descriptions of Brith, but if something is inaccurate, please let me know, or if you want to change anything at all.
Old 07-04-2015, 12:01 PM   #128
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
If the question "Is everyone sort of running amok?" refers to me, then the answer is decidedly, "Yes."

I'll try hard to post today. I think Javan will hop in and help with the horses, and Thornden can direct the traffic stuff.

-- Folwren
Old 07-04-2015, 04:07 PM   #129
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Also, usually medieval ladis didn't just sit around and do embroidery but actually run the household. So if something needs organizing, where is Saeryn?
Old 07-04-2015, 04:31 PM   #130
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Where is she, indeed. Not quite certain yet.

Thornden has finally shown up on the scene. He gave Cnebba and Garmund a job, directed Javan to help Leof with the horses, and sent a few men to stack wood (I didn't name anybody, but if someone wants to do that, that'd be fine). Oh, and he send Leodthern to find Modtryth. So...that should give a few people something to do.

I'll try to write something for Saeryn today, too. Sorry it's taken me forever to get on and start. I found it surprisingly rough to break the ice and write a post. And then when I did, I felt maybe Thornden was being too bossy, but then I thought this was probably his job, so it's ok. Tell me if I'm wrong.
Old 07-04-2015, 05:22 PM   #131
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Amazing posts and I love all the new characters! I have to say Legate may have stolen the show though with Áforglaed talking to the chicken.

LMP, I decided to continue Wilheard and Eodwine's dialogue after all. I'm afraid Wilheard is even worse at niceties than his father...

Gal, I had Brith reply to Ledwyn. Language troubles ahoy. Brith speaks very little of Rohirric, mostly what she picked up in Edoras over the winter. I don't know how many Rohanians would speak the common tongue? Everyone seems to speak it in The Lord of the Rings, but the "everyone" we see are soldiers, often officers. It sounds a little odd that a majority of the peasants would know a second language. Brith might need her "uncles" - or *nudge nudge* maybe someone else eventually? - around to translate with some people!

Firefoot, Folwren and whoever else is writing about the stables, just a heads-up that you've got to newcomer veteran soldiers bringing in horses, first an Eorling with two horses and the a Gondorian with one. They are NPCs so do what you will with them, but just so you know there's traffic that way.

Nogrod
, I just wrote a little filler for Modtryth. If Stigend is too weepy, please let me know. He just seemed quite rattled (and I'm not saying it's not for a reason. I find it very amusing how he's always so much more emotional than Modtryth). Now it looks like Leodthern has been told to tell Modtryth to take care of the arriving things in the kitchen, so I think she'll be busy with that and doesn't have time to chat with her husband, so I guess you can figure out something else for Stigend to do?

PS. I actually found more old Brith posts back from 2006! Turns out she has even worse tolerance for alcohol than Wilheard and becomes very self-pitying when drunk. Can we have a feast so my characters can embarrass themselves? Also apparently her horse is called Grayday (what a silly name!)

PPS. Added Heafoc to my list and updated Wilheard's bio a tiny bit. He now has a nasty war scar.

PPPS. Don't you worry Folwren. It is Thornden's job to boss people around.
Old 07-05-2015, 08:48 AM   #132
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Quote:
Gal, I had Brith reply to Ledwyn. Language troubles ahoy. Brith speaks very little of Rohirric, mostly what she picked up in Edoras over the winter. I don't know how many Rohanians would speak the common tongue? Everyone seems to speak it in The Lord of the Rings, but the "everyone" we see are soldiers, often officers. It sounds a little odd that a majority of the peasants would know a second language. Brith might need her "uncles" - or *nudge nudge* maybe someone else eventually? - around to translate with some people!
I sort of can't believe this has never (to my knowledge) come up before. I have no idea.

I also recently realized that I have probably vastly overestimated the literacy rate of a people that are "wise but unlearned, writing no books." Guess that's why the pros have editors... But on that note, would Rohirric have a written alphabet?
Old 07-05-2015, 09:13 AM   #133
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
I don't know how many Rohanians would speak the common tongue? Everyone seems to speak it in The Lord of the Rings, but the "everyone" we see are soldiers, often officers. It sounds a little odd that a majority of the peasants would know a second language.
I'd wondered about this. I guess Ladavan's been doing some serious studying of the language of the Rohirrim. He'd be more likely to know something of that tongue than the Common anyway. Maybe he bought something to help him. Call it Orthanc-stone.
Old 07-05-2015, 11:26 AM   #134
Arry
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arry has just left Hobbiton.
Undome and Envinyatar --

I was thinking we could wrap up this day's scene with either a post just from Envin or maybe one from him and one from you.

Then, once the Meadhall's present day has turned to the following day, we can be down the road to the Meadhall.

How does that sound to you?

- A -
Old 07-05-2015, 11:29 AM   #135
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

The problem with that, Arry, is that days at the Meadhall tend to take forever, unless people make a concerted effort to move along. Maybe we can, if you three are out of action until we continue.

I think that it would work if we decided moved on without too much delay. I don't think a large celebration would be got up that very day. I think the people would be more focused on regaining strength and whatnot before putting on a whole big feast or anything. So, Lommy, your characters may need to wait a bit before embarrassing themselves too badly.
Old 07-05-2015, 11:35 AM   #136
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Hmmmmm... well if the day takes toooooooooo long to turn to the next - maybe we should rename the game. How about:

-------------------- Hard Winters, Day 1 ---------------

Just joking!

Pio

But, more seriously, this is an RPG now and not just a slow-moving Inn-ish (Ent ish) sort of piece. Maybe it could move along at a slightly quicker pace than the original Mead-hall. What do you think?

Last edited by piosenniel; 07-05-2015 at 11:44 AM.
Old 07-05-2015, 11:41 AM   #137
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Arry

I've added in that nickname for Thystel's hen to your bio for him.
Old 07-05-2015, 11:51 AM   #138
Arry
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Thanks, Pio, for the edit!

Undome, Envin --

We can always make this day our group is in to be a day prior to what's going on in the game and keep writing a bit more backstory and interaction in our little group.

I don't think it would require much editing on our part.

What say you?

- A -

Last edited by Arry; 07-05-2015 at 09:50 PM.
Old 07-05-2015, 11:52 AM   #139
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by piosenniel View Post
Hmmmmm... well if the day takes toooooooooo long to turn to the next - maybe we should rename the game. How about:

Just joking!
Bahaaha! That's what I thought when the title was originally suggested!

Quote:
But, more seriously, this is an RPG now and not just a slow-moving Inn-ish (Ent ish) sort of piece. Maybe it could move along at a slightly quicker pace than the original Mead-hall. What do you think?
I tend to agree, at least until all our characters are in position to be played, where as now we have three people's characters in a separate location waiting to be brought in.

Firefoot, Saeryn has spotted and addressed Scyld.
Old 07-05-2015, 12:00 PM   #140
Undómë
Shade of Carn Dûm

Undómë has just left Hobbiton.
Arry Lets do go ahead and move our own timeline back. I'll look at the posts for our group and see where we need to edit.
Young she was and yet not so. The braids of her dark hair were touched by no frost, her white arms and clear face were flawless and smooth, and the light of stars was in her bright eyes, grey as a cloudless night . . .
Old 07-05-2015, 02:05 PM   #141
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Sorry I did do a post for Elfthain but my computer ate it and then I had to go away to househunt.. and have been unwell again. I will try to redo tonight but it may need to be tagged in. If necessary I can do a much shorter post than was lost and let the lad brood on his backstory if an occasion arises

Anyway Elfthain, should speak the common tongue well enough and may even have a smattering of Elvish from his year in Gondor when he was ten. Though given his age at acquisition he may have serious gaps in his vocabulary .
Old 07-05-2015, 04:31 PM   #142
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Working on posts for Leof and Scyld now.

One thing to keep in mind for the current day is that a true feast would be a really terrible idea - everyone would get really sick (it's called refeeding syndrome).
Old 07-05-2015, 05:07 PM   #143
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Oh, that's brilliant! Ledwyn is the most old-fashioned village rustic, she probably knows a few words at most in the common tongue. Ohhh, I can't wait until I get the chance to reply for her - misunderstandings galore!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lommy
PPS. Added Heafoc to my list and updated Wilheard's bio a tiny bit. He now has a nasty war scar.
Oh, that reminds me, I should update Ledwyn's description to include her frostbite. Will be done shortly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by piosenniel View Post

Just joking!
Or more like Hard Winters: The Arrival of the Caravan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefoot View Post
One thing to keep in mind for the current day is that a true feast would be a really terrible idea - everyone would get really sick (it's called refeeding syndrome).
Haha, used to fill up hospitals every Easter when people would stuff themselves on fatty food after a 40 day fast that precedes it by the religious calendar... But either way, I think everyone is too exhausted to put up a proper feast - a good meal is more like it.

EDIT: Lommy, did Brith address Ledwyn in the Common Tongue or in Rohirric? I'm assuming Common Tongue.

Last edited by Galadriel55; 07-05-2015 at 05:11 PM.
Old 07-05-2015, 05:55 PM   #144
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Haha! Gal55, you made me laugh aloud with your post. Poor Ledwyn! As tempted as I am to step in with a post from Thornden, I'm going to hold off and let Legate and/or Lommy respond.
Old 07-05-2015, 06:54 PM   #145
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
As to language.

The Hobbits spoke nothing but Common Tongue.

The Eorlings spoke Common Tongue to everyone not from the Mark.

Same for Elves. Same for Gondorians. Same for Dwarves.

So it seems like everyone new Common Tongue. I suppose that's why it's called "common."

Second point on language: Please same me a lot of time having to remind you and ask you to correct your posts. The people of the Mark don't say "Rohirric" or "Rohan" - those are Gondorian terms for them. They call themselves Eorlings, and they speak Eorling, and they live in the Mark.

Thanks.

Lommy, what does the letter say? Any ideas? It's from Athanar, right?

Last edited by littlemanpoet; 07-05-2015 at 07:00 PM.
Old 07-05-2015, 07:06 PM   #146
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Thinlómien

I put a link to your Character - Profession/Attachment at the end of Post #2 - the Player/Character List (mostly for my own convenience - I hate hunting for posts on a thread). All edits you do to your original post will of course be reflected through the link.

See link HERE
Old 07-05-2015, 07:41 PM   #147
Envinyatar
Quill Revenant

Envinyatar has just left Hobbiton.
Undome and Arry

I took the initiative and read through our little group's series of posts. As far as I can see we've all been fairly vague on relating our posts specifically to the events-at-the-meadhall's time line.

How about we label our posts for now with a heading that indicates our group is proceeding on a timeline a few days previous to the game's main timeline. Maybe something like:

Forest-dwellers timeline: a few days previous to the arrival of of the convoy

Then, when this arrival day (or maybe even the following day), is completed in the game we can make our arrival at the Hall.

How does that sound?

-----------------------------------------

Also, I'll go ahead and post next - a story for the boys
Old 07-05-2015, 09:04 PM   #148
Undómë
Shade of Carn Dûm

Thanks, Envinyatar. I'll go ahead and label my posts as you suggested.

Arry - can you please do the same - and maybe make this post a little more vague about when we're planning to start for the Mead Hall,

Thanks, U
Young she was and yet not so. The braids of her dark hair were touched by no frost, her white arms and clear face were flawless and smooth, and the light of stars was in her bright eyes, grey as a cloudless night . . .
Old 07-05-2015, 09:49 PM   #149
Arry
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Done and done!!!!!

Looking forward to the story, Envin

- A -
Old 07-05-2015, 10:04 PM   #150
Envinyatar
Quill Revenant

And done, again!

I'll work up the story tomorrow.
Old 07-06-2015, 01:59 PM   #151
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet View Post
As to language.

So it seems like everyone new Common Tongue. I suppose that's why it's called "common."
But not necessarily all of them. Hobbits and some men speak it because it has replaced their own tongue, Dwarves won't share theirs. The Rohirrim presumably spoke their own tongue among themselves but I can't imagine that all were universally fluent in westron especially in remoter areas - how often would they encounter other folk? They were pretty suspicious of Aragorn and co when they turned up though I expect there was more toing and froing in peacetime.
Westron wasn't universal even among the elves with their facility for languages and all the time at their disposal. Haldir was definitely rusty and his brothers didn't speak it hardly at all....

Anyway I have finally reconstructed my post... it Is a bit of a tome but I doubt he will usually be anything like as verbose.. so will go and hook in somehow... oh I don't believe it it has swallowed my edits and I know I saved them... I may bave to go and cry..

Last edited by Mithalwen; 07-06-2015 at 02:12 PM.
Old 07-06-2015, 03:19 PM   #152
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
I am finally back from my two-week retreat into absolute wilderness... it's great to see the posting activity. I really liked everything so far, great stuff One minor observation: Folwren, wouldn't Thornden know that Wilheard is dead (your post #29, beginning)? Athanar's men had visited Scarburg after the war in the East once in the fall of previous year, so...? (But of course maybe Thornden just forgot, or wasn't as focused on that...)

Anyway, I hope I might post something small tomorrow. Let's see
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 07-06-2015, 03:49 PM   #153
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
I am finally back from my two-week retreat into absolute wilderness... it's great to see the posting activity. I really liked everything so far, great stuff One minor observation: Folwren, wouldn't Thornden know that Wilheard is dead (your post #29, beginning)? Athanar's men had visited Scarburg after the war in the East once in the fall of previous year, so...? (But of course maybe Thornden just forgot, or wasn't as focused on that...)
Yes? I don't know. I will take your word for it. I was unable to pay as close attention to the early posts and planning stuff as I should have. I'll alter that.

-- Folwren
Old 07-06-2015, 04:06 PM   #154
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

HEY, WILHEARD ISN'T DEAD. WULFRIC IS.

Seriously though, you guys make me giggle, both in the game thread and here. I will write for Brith after Legate has written - or at least I have consulted him about Hilderinc's immediate reaction to Ledwyn's stumble. Poor Ledwyn!

As for the language issue, LMP is quoting canon, but I still find it a little odd all the peasants in Rohan would speak the common tongue, as they have very limited contact with outsiders. Basically what Mith said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gal
Lommy, did Brith address Ledwyn in the Common Tongue or in Rohirric? I'm assuming Common Tongue.
In the common tongue, like you assumed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMP
Lommy, what does the letter say? Any ideas? It's from Athanar, right?
I didn't think much, to be honest, that just came out of my keyboard. I would assume Athanar wrote a short letter saying what Wilheard basically already said: that Athanar wishes for Wilheard to stay in Scarburg and Eodwine to put him to good use... And if it is his style, then maybe warn Eodwine of Wilheard's slightly erratic recent behaviour. Nogrod? Ideas?
Old 07-06-2015, 05:02 PM   #155
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
Anyway I have finally reconstructed my post... it Is a bit of a tome but I doubt he will usually be anything like as verbose.. so will go and hook in somehow... oh I don't believe it it has swallowed my edits and I know I saved them... I may bave to go and cry..
--------------------------------------

Once the tricksy Computer Vala has decided to let you keep your post, just put it on this thread and tell me which post you need it edited into (name of original poster and the post #, please). And whether you want it above or below the original poster's post.

~*~ Pio
Old 07-06-2015, 06:39 PM   #156
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren View Post
Haha! Gal55, you made me laugh aloud with your post. Poor Ledwyn!
Glad to be of amusement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet View Post
As to language.

Fair enough. But not everyone automatically knows the Common Tongue, especially in isolated places (e.g. Lorien). So if you feel it would be more proper that way, I can change my post to reflect that Ledwyn, hailing from an isolated little village and never seeing a foreigner until she came to the Hall, is exceptionally bad with that language. Maybe even have her understand, but still run away on a different pretext. Would you say that's more true to the canon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elempi
Second point on language: Please same me a lot of time having to remind you and ask you to correct your posts. The people of the Mark don't say "Rohirric" or "Rohan" - those are Gondorian terms for them. They call themselves Eorlings, and they speak Eorling, and they live in the Mark.
Thank you. I sometimes need that reminder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
But not necessarily all of them. Hobbits and some men speak it because it has replaced their own tongue, Dwarves won't share theirs. The Rohirrim presumably spoke their own tongue among themselves but I can't imagine that all were universally fluent in westron especially in remoter areas - how often would they encounter other folk? They were pretty suspicious of Aragorn and co when they turned up though I expect there was more toing and froing in peacetime.
Westron wasn't universal even among the elves with their facility for languages and all the time at their disposal. Haldir was definitely rusty and his brothers didn't speak it hardly at all....
Exactly! So fluency shouldn't be assumed, and if you think that everyone would know at least a bit of it, then once again, I can always compromise.

And aww, I'm sorry your post keeps doing that! I hate when that happens. But I hope you'll be able to outsmart the computer soon.
Old 07-06-2015, 06:48 PM   #157
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

I have resorted to old school paper ..with a fountain pen. That jolly well stays written. Will type up tomorrow... thanks Pio et al...

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Old 07-07-2015, 12:10 AM   #158
Envinyatar
Quill Revenant

Arry and U -- left you a hook to interject as you wish.

Old 07-07-2015, 07:57 AM   #159
Undómë
Shade of Carn Dûm

I think Fana will want to chime in
Old 07-07-2015, 02:09 PM   #160
Arry
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nice start to a story, Envin!

I noticed that Gran chimed in, too. What's the "two hawks" reference she muttered there at the end?

Anyway, I will write a little something for the boys later on this evening.

- A -