User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2015, 02:28 PM   #161
Envinyatar
Quill Revenant

Envinyatar has just left Hobbiton.
"U" - nice twist to my own story!!! I'll have to work out how it will go in

Arry - Look HERE - at the bottom of the page are a couple of links to Old English dictionaries
Old 07-07-2015, 09:06 PM   #162
Arry
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arry has just left Hobbiton.
Envin

*face/palm

of course, of course.......
Old 07-07-2015, 11:29 PM   #163
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Hey! Nice activity going on. That's fun.

I posted for Saeryn and Thornden. Legate, Lommy, and Nogrod, I think I left hooks for all of you. I will soon get Saeryn back out to Eodwine, I think, depending on if any conversations start in the kitchen or not.

Kara is still at the Hall, right? Let me know if I'm wrong.

Is Frodides still around, or did she die over the winter?
Old 07-08-2015, 05:11 AM   #164
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sorry, I do not have time to research it, Nogrod or Lommy, can you tell me what Wilheard's ''erratic behavior" is?

thanks!
Old 07-08-2015, 01:04 PM   #165
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren View Post
I posted for Saeryn and Thornden. Legate, Lommy, and Nogrod, I think I left hooks for all of you. I will soon get Saeryn back out to Eodwine, I think, depending on if any conversations start in the kitchen or not.
Good job! I had something kitchen-related on the way as well, I'll see if I manage to post it...

I am going to post for Hilderinc in any case, just something short.

Quote:
Kara is still at the Hall, right? Let me know if I'm wrong.

Is Frodides still around, or did she die over the winter?
I think this has been debated and left inconcluded. There were originally ideas that one of them could die, but then there was no clear decision and no clear indication from Kath who said she wants to come back eventually and post for (one or both of) them. Then Nogrod at least had mentioned Frodides in his post earlier on, and I think maybe Kara was mentioned somewhere else, so technically it kind of came up naturally to the conclusion that they are alive and well. Or at least alive.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 07-08-2015, 09:10 PM   #166
Envinyatar
Quill Revenant

Undome and Arry

Story-time done. Someone get us to bed!

What shall we do "tomorrow"?
Old 07-08-2015, 10:29 PM   #167
Undómë
Shade of Carn Dűm

Undómë has just left Hobbiton.
Lovely! Gore galore!!!!!

Gran will clap her hands and see about getting everyone to bed.

Arry - you know the boys will want to see those scars!

And about that bear - good eye to pick up on that from my earlier post

Young she was and yet not so. The braids of her dark hair were touched by no frost, her white arms and clear face were flawless and smooth, and the light of stars was in her bright eyes, grey as a cloudless night . . .
Old 07-09-2015, 03:19 PM   #168
Arry
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Envin - great story!!

Undome

Go ahead and write the boys into your post.

- A -
Old 07-09-2015, 11:52 PM   #169
Undómë
Shade of Carn Dűm

Undómë has just left Hobbiton.
Right then! Arry and Envinyatar - we're all cozily tucked away.

No need really to come back to life in any hurry, eh?
Young she was and yet not so. The braids of her dark hair were touched by no frost, her white arms and clear face were flawless and smooth, and the light of stars was in her bright eyes, grey as a cloudless night . . .
Old 07-10-2015, 07:50 AM   #170
Envinyatar
Quill Revenant

Nice wrap up!

Good-night, sleep tight.....
Old 07-10-2015, 11:42 AM   #171
Arry
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

What he said!

- A -
Old 07-12-2015, 07:15 AM   #172
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Pio, yay for linking my list! I feel very responsible now.

Re: Kath's characters. I have poked her twice about Scarburg and the first time she clearly said she's coming back. So, ummm, wait for her still and not write anything too conclusive about Kara and Frodides, just assume at least one of them is there and edit later if necessary?

Folwren, I'm not going to write for Modtryth right now unless something special happens. Don't feel like I have anything to contribute about the grain so feel free to move on with Saeryn! I was just reading your post now, though, and I'm sure Modtryth has grown very fond of Saeryn because she's just such a generous Lady of the Hall. Also, I believe Modtryth is one of the (if not the??) only named characters in the hall who has actually given birth to a child and taken care of a baby, so she might've been very helpful to Saeryn in the past couple of years. Do the kiddos have a nurse or a nanny of some kind btw, or does Saeryn do everything by herself (/with the assistance of the household women)?

Writing for Wilheard soon. I guess he's going to run into whoever's still at the stables. Léof and Javan?
Old 07-12-2015, 08:47 AM   #173
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Yup, Javan will be around.

I'll post for Saeryn sometime today, then.

-- Folwren
Old 07-12-2015, 09:13 AM   #174
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
Re: Kath's characters. I have poked her twice about Scarburg and the first time she clearly said she's coming back. So, ummm, wait for her still and not write anything too conclusive about Kara and Frodides, just assume at least one of them is there and edit later if necessary?
That's more or less what I was thinking. So we can just let them inconclusively run in the background and if it comes to that, we can just edit the name in the post from Frodides for Kara or vice versa. So as long as it isn't clear that we are dealing with the granny or with the younger girl, it should be fine... Even though of course it would be nicer to know soon.

Also, just posted for Hilderinc (with Lommy's assistance to fill in her character's reactions). It's basically open, if Lommy wants to post for Brith now, and whether eventually we want them to reach Saeryn (Folwren?), or only later...

P.S. Ad the whole potatoes situation: as Inzil had sort of pointed out earlier in his post, obviously it is not such a tragedy that potatoes have fallen in the mud, but I have all the time been kind of coming from the idea that there are people who have not seen decent food for weeks, and then a sack full of potatoes just falls and the precious potatoes roll in the mud. It's purely psychological, kind of hysterical effect you could expect from people at this stage, starting to look for every single piece, what if just one got lost in the mud! What if somebody stepped on it! What if random animals started eating it! (Those who arrived would of course probably have different perception of this, but I guess that much is clear anyway. For instance Brith cleaning the potato is kind of her own initiative, but every Scarburgian would appreciate it anyway, because it's a lovely gesture to our lovely potato which is about to save our life.)

P.P.S. Lommy off-handedly mentioned "do Rohirrim even have potatoes?" which, in my opinion, is a valid question, which had occured to me already when it first appeared, but then I concluded that a) even if they didn't before the War of the Ring, they had had 20 years of merry contact with Hobbits to get acquainted with them on daily basis (I can totally imagine Shirelings exporting taters in great numbers, if it came to that), b) the fact that Gollum didn't know what "taters" are, it doesn't prevent more "civilized" folk from knowing that. After all, everything useful we know of, including pipeweed, came originally through the Númenoreans.

Quote:
Yup, Javan will be around.

I'll post for Saeryn sometime today, then.

-- Folwren

Incidentally (just distantly related), Stefnu could be in the kitchens, too. I had actually some draft post ready for her already some time ago, but then things moved kind of in a different direction so I kind of ditched it. But Folwren, if you want to delegate something in the kitchens, you can include her as well (just as a "tool"). She's been working around for several months and is probably fairly "domesticated". But if you do not want to delay yourself with any kitchen stuff anymore and are just going to skip and post for Saeryn already being somewhere else, that's fine too. Because I would like to put in at least one post for Stefnu kind of musing about the meals to be made (if I still find the draft I had somewhere), and I can include others in it, but don't have to.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 07-12-2015, 09:26 AM   #175
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate
P.P.S. Lommy off-handedly mentioned "do Rohirrim even have potatoes?" which, in my opinion, is a valid question, which had occured to me already when it first appeared, but then I concluded that a) even if they didn't before the War of the Ring, they had had 20 years of merry contact with Hobbits to get acquainted with them on daily basis (I can totally imagine Shirelings exporting taters in great numbers, if it came to that), b) the fact that Gollum didn't know what "taters" are, it doesn't prevent more "civilized" folk from knowing that. After all, everything useful we know of, including pipeweed, came originally through the Númenoreans.
Well, I'm still a little undecided, but I decided to roll with it. We can also change that to turnips, and no great harm done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate
Also, just posted for Hilderinc (with Lommy's assistance to fill in her character's reactions). It's basically open, if Lommy wants to post for Brith now, and whether eventually we want them to reach Saeryn (Folwren?), or only later...
Indeed - very easy to write a post when you can consult the other writer who sits across the table from you. So I went ahead and wrote something short. If Legate wants to write more dialogue with his very untalkative character , go on. If anybody wants to interrupt the slightly bizarre sight-seeing tour, feel free to. And if nothing special happens, I think we can leave the tour at that and Folwren and I can write Brith offering her services to Saeryn a bit later?
Old 07-12-2015, 10:56 AM   #176
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Lommy, Leof is also still in or around the stables.
Old 07-12-2015, 02:54 PM   #177
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
Incidentally (just distantly related), Stefnu could be in the kitchens, too. I had actually some draft post ready for her already some time ago, but then things moved kind of in a different direction so I kind of ditched it. But Folwren, if you want to delegate something in the kitchens, you can include her as well (just as a "tool"). She's been working around for several months and is probably fairly "domesticated". But if you do not want to delay yourself with any kitchen stuff anymore and are just going to skip and post for Saeryn already being somewhere else, that's fine too. Because I would like to put in at least one post for Stefnu kind of musing about the meals to be made (if I still find the draft I had somewhere), and I can include others in it, but don't have to.
Legate, I can write Saeryn giving Stefnu a job. I was actually looking around for another female and I thought she was still out in the courtyard. But if you need her situated in the kitchen, I can arrange that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lommy
And if nothing special happens, I think we can leave the tour at that and Folwren and I can write Brith offering her services to Saeryn a bit later?
Yup, that's fine. Saeryn is still running about, but it'll be realistic if they have to go searching for her, even if they have to wait a bit before seeing her.
Old 07-12-2015, 03:04 PM   #178
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Okay Folwren and Firefoot, Wilheard is now at the stables! Please correct me if you want me to change something I said about your characters, also (this is a general note that goes for all my writing) I know next to nothing about horses so please nitpick if you feel like I'm writing nonsense.

I couldn't resist making a little dig at Javan, after all I don't want to write Wilheard too nice and responsible and besides he really did hold a grudge about him having that fight with Aedre, he would have gone and beaten the poor boy had his mother not explicitely forbidden it. Also I'd say Wilheard would be like 6'1'' or 6'2" so he can probably comfortably look down at poor Javan. (Until Javan's giant of a big brother can come and look down at Wilheard in turn, haha.)

PS. Just as a general note - Wilheard was briefly in Scarburg in the autumn with Athanar's party, but he was freshly back from the war and Wulfric had just died, so I think he was suffering from pretty severe PTSD and grieving his brother, so he was mostly keeping to himself and going out with his horse, or maybe drinking, so I doubt he interacted with any of the locals much during the two months of so when he was around.
Old 07-12-2015, 05:37 PM   #179
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Legate, I can write Saeryn giving Stefnu a job. I was actually looking around for another female and I thought she was still out in the courtyard. But if you need her situated in the kitchen, I can arrange that.
Sure thing. I didn't post for Stefnu after that, but she was kind of left in a flexible position: I could have let her stay in the courtyard if there was somebody she could interact with there, but I think it also makes sense to assume she would have e.g. picked up one sack of something small, returned with it to the kitchens and then stayed there. So if you have use for her, you can assume she is there, or even write her coming in, and Saeryn can grab her from there.
Old 07-12-2015, 06:31 PM   #180
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
I couldn't resist making a little dig at Javan, after all I don't want to write Wilheard too nice and responsible and besides he really did hold a grudge about him having that fight with Aedre, he would have gone and beaten the poor boy had his mother not explicitely forbidden it. Also I'd say Wilheard would be like 6'1'' or 6'2" so he can probably comfortably look down at poor Javan. (Until Javan's giant of a big brother can come and look down at Wilheard in turn, haha.)
Oh! I cannot WAIT! Javan may be little, but I'm sure he's up for any sort of trouble. I was thinking writing an eighteen year old was going to be boring, but with Wilheard around to make mischief...yes...this will be fun...
Old 07-13-2015, 11:18 AM   #181
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I'm sorry for my lack of posting lately. I will have some time this week, so I think I'll post some wrap up for the potato chaos, if everyone is ok with it and ready to move on. Thoughts/requests?
Old 07-13-2015, 02:28 PM   #182
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Yep, that's fine, Gal55. I'm pretty sure everyone else has moved their characters forward.
Old 07-13-2015, 03:39 PM   #183
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Yep, that's fine, Gal55. I'm pretty sure everyone else has moved their characters forward.
With your permission.

(Also, feel free to use Ledwyn around the Hall. If she's not in the kitchen, she might be e.g. preparing tables for the meal)
Old 07-13-2015, 04:09 PM   #184
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Poor Ledwyn! Amazing post, G55. Also like all the other posts (Wilheard and Javan!!! The boy became a great teenager, saying just what he is thinking )... I hope to contribute something of my own soon again
Old 07-13-2015, 05:24 PM   #185
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by piosenniel View Post
--------------------------------------

Once the tricksy Computer Vala has decided to let you keep your post, just put it on this thread and tell me which post you need it edited into (name of original poster and the post #, please). And whether you want it above or below the original poster's post.

~*~ Pio
I don't know which Vala is in charge of computers.. I might have guessed Irmo for dreams and visions as far as they relate to RPG posts but either he has left his judgmental brother in charge while he takes his summer vacation or Osse has extended the scope of his mischief... any way Lady Nienna has harkened to my tears and after a short delay to get over not quite breaking my own nose with a car door (don't try that at home, children) I think.. I has a post.... anywhere between 16 and 29 would do I think.. Elfthain is prolly one of the unloaders in p29... better fate than being bitten by Wilheard's horse!!! Hope Elfthain will be more prompt and less verbose hence forth...

Elfthain

"Can't you get me out of it Uncle? I am your shield bearer? " Elfthain had asked on the eve of departure. The boy had looked hopeful but his uncle laughed but with a hint of sadness and shook his head. " You expect me to countermand both your mother and the king? You are still on leave and to risk such folly I would have to think it a bad idea. And I am sorry 'Thain but I don't".

The boy looked a little hurt and Elwin raised his hand to stem the budding protest. "You are my sister-son and I love you just as much as my own children - for your own sake, as well as hers, and that of your father who was my dearest friend ; but you are not a child anymore and the time for playing is over. I know your heart isn't in soldiering... and really I don't mind. You are lucky enough to have a choice.." Elfthain hung his head at this - he knew his father and uncle had been scarce older than him when they rode to Gondor in the great War, "but whatever you do, you should do it wholeheartedly. Your mother has worked very hard to keep the estate going for you - it hasn't been easy for her and she has sacrificed much. If you intend to take control when you are of age, you need to do things properly. She raised you better than to be the sort of landlord who gives a few orders to his steward and sits back and collects the rents"

"I do know uncle..and I do want to farm.. farm properly.. it was just mother took it the wrong way.."

His uncle grinned and commented that from what he had heard there wasn't a good way to take what had been said. Elfthain realised that further discussion would be fruitless. It was clear that his remaining leave would be spent sloshing through the mud to some forsaken place rather than in the restored comfort of Upbourn Grange, finally emptied of the many villagers and estate tenants who had taken refuge there during the worst of the winter for economy of fuel and other reasons.

Only the foundling remained and it seemed was unlikely to be going anywhere soon: In the midwinter a woman had been found in the woods at Upbourn, dying of hunger and exposure, and sheltering beneath her cloak was a young girl, a toddling thing, little more than a baby. The woman seemed to be of the Eorlings but the child's hair was as dark as a raven's wing and as healthy as the woman was ailing. Clearly all resources had been devoted to the little girl. They had done all they could for the woman but to no avail and she had died without giving much clue to their identity. The child had been no help, unable to provide even her own name she had been addressed as "poppet" so often that she had ended up calling herself Poppy and it has stuck. And Elfthain's mother, Elfride, had seemingly become besotted by the little girl to a point that worried her son. Some might have said he was jealous unused for many years to sharing maternal affection and attention but for the most part his concern was genuine... a strange light seemed to come into her eyes at times when she held the child, fierce and defensive as if she might never let her go. And he worried about her health too..she was thinner than Elfthain had ever known her. Elfride had put all her energy into getting the village through the winter, taking minimum rations herself to leave more for the still-growing young, the ill, women with child or nurslings. By and large she had succeeded. There had been deaths of course - cold could be helped but the toll of years could not yet few died who might ordinarily have been expected to see Spring and all from mischance in the extreme conditions rather than starvation or cold. Save the stranger...

So it was not to be wondered that Elfride, exhausted, had responded badly to her son both querying her attachment to the child and saying that things should be easier now the snow had gone. He had received a lecture as to how she was perfectly aware that Poppy wasn't hers, let alone her lost daughter returned and then a detailed breakdown of how parlous the situation still was - they had depleted the firewood stored to season for next winter and the portion of the crops reserved for seed, many animals had been culled to save feed and so there would be fewer eggs, less cheese and butter, rations would be short until first harvest and perhaps after since they should do all to prepare lest this Winter not be a one off. Thought would have to be given to preserving as much as possible and to repairing and refurbishing the villagers and tenants homes to insulate them better against the cold. It was not going to be easy at all.

And so it had chanced that this exchange had been vastly ill timed, early on the day his mother had been summoned to Edoras to report on what supplies they had left and what could be spared for the succour of the outlands. And since his mother had been raised at court and had known Eomer since childhood the audience had moved on from the requisition to comparing notes on the hazards of raising sons. The upshot had been that it had been decided it would be good for him to be part of the escort and to see first hand how much worse the Winter had been in the remoter areas and he had been despatched along with the waggons to Edoras with barely time to gather his belongings let alone change his mother's mind. And Poppy had formally been placed in his mother's care until such time as her kin could be traced.

"Mother, will be alright won't she Uncle?" Elfthain queried as he made his final preparations. "Cenric says women go strange and witless around her age..." Elwin made a noise between a choke and a snort and then erupted in laughter so violent his nephew feared he might injure himself.

"I strongly advise you not to repeat that in your mother's hearing... but if you do I beg you give me sufficient notice that I may charge admission to the spectacle". His sister was still only in her 35th year and was far from losing her wits, though she had lost her temper with her lackadaisical son. Cenric was another esquire and inclined to give Elfthain rather dubious advice based on his six months seniority in age.

"My horse knows more of the womanly mind than Cenric and would give you better counsel..." Elfthain ruffled his nephew's curly hair and became more serious. "My sister has more mothering in her than even the most demanding only chick could exhaust, Elfthain, and now you are almost fledged and away, do not grudge her the pleasure of having a child in the house - even if it is only for a little while". Elfthain gulped and focussed hard on the strap he was fastening. It was nearly time to go and the courtyard was full of loaded carts, horses, those who were to travel and those who were seeing them safely on their way.

"Tell mother I am sorry won't you?"

"You can tell her yourself," Elwin gestured and Elfthain saw his mother making her way through the melee on her grey palfrey, the child Poppy, seated before her.

"I had to bring her" Elfride stated, by way of a greeting, dismounting and settling the little girl on her own two feet "there was no time to leave her with anyone and I couldn't let you go with only the memory of hard words."

Elfthain's glib tongue nearly pre-empted his brain to say he was only going to Scarburg not war but he stopped himself just in time. Instead he crouched down and scooped up Poppy who was trying to hide behind his mother's skirts. "Will you look after Mother for me while I am gone?". The little girl nodded solemnly though he doubted she truly understood what he said. He planted a gentle kiss on her brow before putting her back down and addressing Elfride. "I am sorry, I will try to make you proud of me".

"I already am. Come home soon, come home safe!". With that the muster horn had sounded and there had been time for little more as he had made ready to ride. A salute to his uncle and a bow to his mother and he had taken his place in the convoy momentarily at least resolved to make good his promise.

Elfthain might have even enjoyed the journey over unfamiliar territory had its leader been more inspiring or even cheerful and the pace less glacial. Usually of a lighter hearted disposition, he had followed the example of his commander. His resolution failing in the lack of opportunity for pride inspiring valour, he had spent much of the slow trek mum-chance and brooding over his banishment. It seemed a hard fate to spend what was meant to be his free time plodding along beside a cart when he could have been schooling his new horse - a fine iron-grey colt he had coveted since it was foaled and which had finally become officially his on his recent seventeenth birthday - all just because of a couple of ill-considered remarks. His older horse, Safran, though less glamorous was ideally suited to this venture, barely fifteen hands and a quarter mountain cob, she was smaller and sturdier than most of the other riding horses but surer footed and sensible enough to need little guidance from her master whose thoughts were often elsewhere. The evenings were no better , Wilheard gave no greater impression of desiring conversation at camp than during the day and he was shy of imposing his company on the older soldiers who seemed to be having a more convivial time.

Yet if the journey had been dismal the destination once reached had presented a scene of quiet desperation. The people were thinner and more haggard than any he had seen in Harrowdale or Edoras and even the buildings seemed to have been butchered. They were right, he thought sadly. Others have had a much harder time of it. He didn't need to wait for orders. It was obvious the most useful thing he could do among these starvelings. He dismounted and loosened Saffy's girths before hitching her to one of the waggons, then fell to unloading

---------------------------

Posted to RPG Thread - HERE
~*~ Pio ~*~

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace

Last edited by piosenniel; 07-13-2015 at 10:11 PM.
Old 07-13-2015, 05:55 PM   #186
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Nice one, Mith. I am now curious to see Elfthain around more in the future. Hopefully you'll manage to avoid the gates of computer Angband... (Personally, I have really adopted the policy to write in some text editor first, keep saving it as I go, and only then copy and post it... Not used to do that every time, but nowadays I do, just to be on the safe side.)
Old 07-13-2015, 06:24 PM   #187
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I have a stop gap computer until I am settled just a tablet with keyboard which is a bit fiddly and I think I am possibly in denial about needing specs. But I was using a draft in Outlook and saving and then it suddenly threw a hissy fit and reverted back several version. It did it again today (hope triumphing over experience - I should have emailed it to myself) but I only lost some formatting and typo corrections which I hope I have redone now.

I don't know if anyone uses it already but I have been trialling Scrivener since I have become by default the family archivist and have various documents that I want to type up lest anything happen to the originals (my father's diaries of the last days of the Raj, a memoir of a Victorian childhood by a cousin etc) aswell as my own research. However I haven't got to grips with it yet but after this experience I think I might cough up for it since I think it would be a boon for RPG. Anyway

Old 07-13-2015, 08:50 PM   #188
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Mithalwen! Great to see your post! I really enjoyed reading it and I am looking forward to getting to know your character better.
Old 07-13-2015, 09:02 PM   #189
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Seconded / thirded / whatever. Great post, Mith! Can't wait for the brooding young man to bump into someone.
Old 07-13-2015, 10:08 PM   #190
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
I don't know which Vala is in charge of computers.. I might have guessed Irmo for dreams and visions as far as they relate to RPG posts but either he has left his judgmental brother in charge while he takes his summer vacation or Osse has extended the scope of his mischief... any way Lady Nienna has harkened to my tears and after a short delay to get over not quite breaking my own nose with a car door (don't try that at home, children) I think.. I has a post...
I used Folwren's post, #29 HERE

So there you are amidst all the hubbub....
Old 07-14-2015, 01:47 AM   #191
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Thank you all. I am sure Elfthain will bump into someone soon, I just hope he is better than me about not bumping into things...stables maybe, since he is a good enough son of Eorl to make his horse's welfare a priority or maybe someone in the kitchen as he unloads.. I will have another readthrough to get a better sense of what is going on and who is where and get him properly involved asap.

Old 07-14-2015, 10:52 AM   #192
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Right well Elfthain has done his bit for the common weal and has stopped by the kitchen, if he isn't engaged in conversation there he is heading for the stables where he might be only too interested in any gossip concerning his temporary CO...

By the way, why are they making porridge in kettles? Is that an American thing like the great biscuit dilemma?

Last edited by Mithalwen; 07-14-2015 at 02:55 PM.
Old 07-14-2015, 04:29 PM   #193
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Nice gifts, Mith. Those are amazing. I would never have thought of the leavening.

Quote:
By the way, why are they making porridge in kettles? Is that an American thing like the great biscuit dilemma?
Haha! Yes...? What else would porridge be made in? We make it in a saucepan, but if we were going to make it for a lot of people, we'd get a big pot of water going. Maybe the word kettle is used incorrectly, if it was me using it. I'll go change that.

EDIT: Nope, wasn't me this time.
Old 07-14-2015, 05:10 PM   #194
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Nice gifts, Mith. Those are amazing. I would never have thought of the leavening.
Indeed. It's exactly one of the absolutely logical things that does not necessarily cross your mind, that they might need it. And it will be appreciated.

Quote:
Haha! Yes...? What else would porridge be made in? We make it in a saucepan, but if we were going to make it for a lot of people, we'd get a big pot of water going. Maybe the word kettle is used incorrectly, if it was me using it. I'll go change that.

EDIT: Nope, wasn't me this time.
Ouch. That was me, I guess. And that might have been a bad use of words, maybe subconscious, because in my native tongue the word for a very big pot (which is what I was picturing when writing it) is kotel, which sounds effectively the same... in fact, I would bet on that the words are etymologically related.

Ha, actually: I just checked some dictionaries and it seems that the word "kettle" might be appropriate, since the use of it as the smaller kind of container (or even just a kettle for making tea) is only post-medieval... and kettle even looks like being a bit more "originally English" word (as opposed to "pot" being a bit more French). So in fact, maybe I could keep it there, since it would be appropriate... (It would still however be just art came out of the unintended.)
Old 07-14-2015, 05:33 PM   #195
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
Ha, actually: I just checked some dictionaries and it seems that the word "kettle" might be appropriate, since the use of it as the smaller kind of container (or even just a kettle for making tea) is only post-medieval... and kettle even looks like being a bit more "originally English" word (as opposed to "pot" being a bit more French). So in fact, maybe I could keep it there, since it would be appropriate... (It would still however be just art came out of the unintended.)
That's what I thought, really. I looked it up in the dictionary and technically, kettle works, but then I looked up google images, and all that came up was a teapot, so now adays, that's really what a kettle means. But I think a big pot could be called a kettle, too.

-- Fol
Old 07-14-2015, 05:57 PM   #196
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

I doubt you can drink tea from a fine kettle of fish with as much ease as the modern kettles, forget about the fish stink. So I also cast my vote for the more archaic use of kettle.

Also, when I read Foley's question about what porridge is made in, my first thought was "in a pot for a small group, in a kotyol for a large gathering or over a fire..." Legate, I completely get you!!!
Old 07-14-2015, 05:58 PM   #197
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

It seems that a kettle can mean a cauldron so my ignorance is the only problem. I have never heard it used other than for boiling water or the very specific fish kettle for poaching fish. But since we call timpani kettle drums it must be so... still seems a bit eccentric though.. like something my uncle, bewildered by dementia, would do...(he tried to run his lawnmower on claret last summer..) but it is clearly correct. The German Kessel means cauldron and boiler as well as kettle... typical Brits only caring about tea..

As for the leaven, I am on a baking kick at the moment and made sourdough bread at the weekend which made me think of it - I used a packet but I will try from scratch next time. Apparently it isn't hard just takes a few days to get going. I had to edit because I realised I had put it in French not English. And beekeeping is just something I want to do somewhen..

Old 07-14-2015, 06:11 PM   #198
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
That's what I thought, really. I looked it up in the dictionary and technically, kettle works, but then I looked up google images, and all that came up was a teapot, so now adays, that's really what a kettle means. But I think a big pot could be called a kettle, too.

-- Fol
But a kettle and a tea pot are completely different things!! apart from the shape and sometimes materials... you boil the water in the kettle (always use freshly drawn water) and then make the tea in the tea pot... that isn't just us is it? I am sure I have seen them in furrin parts...though not in the States where I learnt the hard way that you have to specify if you want your tea hot....

Old 07-14-2015, 06:46 PM   #199
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Eodwine is sound asleep.
Old 07-14-2015, 08:39 PM   #200
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

The NPCs

I was looking at the NPCs the other day, and it seems the list is a bit outdated. As per Legate's post here, Scyrr and Fearghall are departing with Athanar in the fall, with nothing conclusive said about Baldwic. He may have remained in the Hall initially. What about the other two? Fearghall might have come back with the caravan. I doubt Scyrr would have volunteered (but who knows? If you guys can think of a backstory/motive for his return, all is possible). Also, in her post here, Lommy mentions an Osmund. Does anyone know who he is or any background on him?

Hence, we only have these guys:

BALDWIC (FEARGHALL?): http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showpos...postcount=2390

FREA and CARANTHIR: http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showpos...6&postcount=85

OSMUND (???)

Should we find a good grumpy replacement for Scyrr?

PS: Pio, your links to Frea and Caranthir in the first post seem to attempt to take me to a forbidden page. I looked up those guys through Brith's bio.