Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2015, 09:04 PM   #201
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
Should we find a good grumpy replacement for Scyrr?
Other than Wilheard, you mean?

-- Folwren
Old 07-14-2015, 09:10 PM   #202
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren View Post
Other than Wilheard, you mean?

-- Folwren
Hah! Good point. Though I always tell my campers that it takes two to make a fight. Well, a big enough fight at any rate.
Old 07-14-2015, 09:28 PM   #203
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I have put Searyn back in the kitchen right after Elfthain asked his question, but I didn't have her say anything because I didn't want to interrupt in case one of the other ladies wants to go ahead and respond to him. Normally, she'd introduce herself and welcome him, but she's kind of tired, as they all are, and not quite herself, and I think she'll just wait to watch and see what happens. She senses she interrupted something anyway. Ya'll play it however you like, obviously, but that was why I didn't have her say anything to him.
Old 07-14-2015, 10:25 PM   #204
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
PS: Pio, your links to Frea and Caranthir in the first post seem to attempt to take me to a forbidden page. I looked up those guys through Brith's bio.
The link has been corrected

It was a link to my editing page....
Old 07-15-2015, 03:20 AM   #205
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
I was looking at the NPCs the other day, and it seems the list is a bit outdated. As per Legate's post here, Scyrr and Fearghall are departing with Athanar in the fall, with nothing conclusive said about Baldwic. He may have remained in the Hall initially. What about the other two? Fearghall might have come back with the caravan. I doubt Scyrr would have volunteered (but who knows? If you guys can think of a backstory/motive for his return, all is possible). Also, in her post here, Lommy mentions an Osmund. Does anyone know who he is or any background on him?
I think there wasn't anything about Osmund apart from the one post where he was mentioned. And Lommy would know more, I am not certain.

Anyway, of course we could have Scyrr come back with the motive that he might want to see his old buddy Áforglaed; but I am not sure I want to go there! For that matter, Áforglaed isn't grumpy by default, but he could do something rash, if it comes to that. If you had something specific in mind, G55, just say...

Quote:
Hah! Good point. Though I always tell my campers that it takes two to make a fight. Well, a big enough fight at any rate.
Wilheard and Javan in the stables isn't good enough for you?

Quote:
I have put Searyn back in the kitchen right after Elfthain asked his question, but I didn't have her say anything because I didn't want to interrupt in case one of the other ladies wants to go ahead and respond to him. Normally, she'd introduce herself and welcome him, but she's kind of tired, as they all are, and not quite herself, and I think she'll just wait to watch and see what happens. She senses she interrupted something anyway. Ya'll play it however you like, obviously, but that was why I didn't have her say anything to him.
I might be a bit busy today, I would like to make a couple of posts, but not sure if I'll manage. I'll try to get at least a small response to Elfthain in the next minutes, but then it's all yours. I am not sure if Lommy wants to interject for Modtryth, she at least originally was okay with leaving her do her things in the background. But if you want to post, I'd say just go ahead.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 07-15-2015, 04:04 AM   #206
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Okay, posted! Stefnu is taking a bit of her own initiative in dealing with Saeryn's children Let me know if the way I wrote Ruari's reactions is okay with you, Folwren. I tried to keep her to the spirit... And Mith, I decided to describe Elfthain as "boy" from Stefnu's point of view, based on the impression he would seem to give (I was deciding between "young man" and "boy", and for her, "boy" would be a more logical way to think about him). That all despite him being dramatically taller than her, but then again, who of the Eorlingas isn't... it's some Mountain-folk blood in her, I guess.

EDIT: Ha, typical. I was sure I re-checked whether Elfthain actually unstopped the other jar as well, and I must have misread it. Nevermind. I think Stefnu could be considered rash enough to open the honey jar by herself, if nobody else had. I can edit it in for clarification if needs be.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories

Last edited by Legate of Amon Lanc; 07-15-2015 at 04:08 AM.
Old 07-15-2015, 04:43 AM   #207
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I don't think the stopper matters I think it works as is. And Elfthain will seem boyish to anyone but small children I think, He is tall but only just turned 17 and not one of those younglings who are born middle aged or really self confident. So basically the rest of him hasn't caught up with his height yet.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Old 07-15-2015, 06:42 AM   #208
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
Wilheard and Javan in the stables isn't good enough for you?
Speaking of, is Lommy around to continue the development?

Your writing for Ruari is fine. I'll try to post for her and Saeryn again later today. No particular promises, I've got a busy day ahead. Don't wait for me.
Old 07-15-2015, 03:26 PM   #209
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Speaking of, is Lommy around to continue the development?
Yeah, RL is interfering but I'll write something tomorrow!

And I haven't been even reading this discussion thread and looks like you guys are making fun of my character already. Hmph.
Old 07-15-2015, 03:37 PM   #210
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
Yeah, RL is interfering but I'll write something tomorrow!

And I haven't been even reading this discussion thread and looks like you guys are making fun of my character already. Hmph.
You wait til Elfthain makes it to the stables and tells Javan just how often the convoy had to make "comfort stops" for Wilheard's benefit *innocent font off*

Old 07-16-2015, 10:23 AM   #211
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
You wait til Elfthain makes it to the stables and tells Javan just how often the convoy had to make "comfort stops" for Wilheard's benefit *innocent font off*
Quote:
Originally Posted by my first post
The bad-tempered mare wasn't -- enthusiastic about keeping a pace with the slowest carts in the caravan. Wilheard couldn't really blame her. If it had been up to him, they would have galloped all the way from Edoras across the open lands and arrived in Scarburg days ago. --

Wilheard shot an exasperated glance over his shoulder. The carts were rolling through the treacherous ground slower than Wilheard thought possible --

”We're not stopping until we're there,” he shouted --
Wilheard would probably kill Elfthain.
Old 07-16-2015, 11:49 AM   #212
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

I was you who highlighted his little problem Maybe he will just make his CO a nice pot of dandelion tea....

Old 07-16-2015, 12:09 PM   #213
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

I grow more and more excited at the prospect. I think Javan will like Elfthain.

I will post this evening...in about 7 hours or so.

-- Folwren
Old 07-16-2015, 12:37 PM   #214
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Osmund is a soldier in Eodwine's household. He was used a couple of times in the Scarburg Meadhall, and I added him to the list because it would make sense to me he was still around if we need a random guy. My picture is mostly based on my own two posts where I used him back then, but I would say he is young-ish (early 30s? late 20s?) and unmarried. He is kind of chatty and loud and the main thing I remember writing about him was a post where the soldiers are drinking and Osmund is entertaining the rest by rating the women of Scarburg in terms of attractiveness.

--------------------------

Linked to Players/Characters List - Pio

Last edited by piosenniel; 07-16-2015 at 01:25 PM.
Old 07-16-2015, 02:22 PM   #215
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
I grow more and more excited at the prospect. I think Javan will like Elfthain.

I will post this evening...in about 7 hours or so.

-- Folwren
I hope so. I think he would like to have a friend of his own age and while I don't think he has the temperament to really run wild I think he may have a slightly mischievous streak that it wouldn't do any harm to vent a bit,

Old 07-17-2015, 08:42 AM   #216
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Right well Elfthain can either be delayed in the kitchen or sent off to the stables to make Javan's acquaintance as you will.

Old 07-17-2015, 05:50 PM   #217
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Two more incoming to the kitchen... I think I remember correctly that there's a door directly outside from the kitchen? If not let me know and I'll adjust my post.
Old 07-17-2015, 10:17 PM   #218
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

I may be wrong, but it seems I remember Osmund being a little older than Thornden, which means he's definitely in his mid-30's now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefoot
Two more incoming to the kitchen... I think I remember correctly that there's a door directly outside from the kitchen? If not let me know and I'll adjust my post.
You are correct about the door directly to the outside.
Old 07-19-2015, 06:50 AM   #219
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Honestly, this is way too much fun.

Firefoot, please inject Rowenna laughing (good naturedly) at Scyld's "solemn" words, and edit as you like accordingly.

I'll wait for that.
Old 07-19-2015, 08:39 AM   #220
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Change made.

Folwren, congrats on 5000 posts.
Old 07-19-2015, 11:56 AM   #221
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Nice touch, FF.

And yes, congrats on 5,000.
Old 07-19-2015, 05:26 PM   #222
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Ditto! Happy 5K!

Also,

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet View Post
"You were missed." His eyes opened wider and a momentary look of surprise flashed across his face before he mastered himself; but curiosity remained. She needed to say something more to take the edge off her words. She allowed a sardonic half smile. "I have been bored."
Oh man, I love those two!
Old 07-20-2015, 01:01 PM   #223
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Well I suppose 5K is a reasonable effort

Let me know if anything needs changing. If Thinlomien doesn't object, I may need an excuse for Elfthain to extend his stay, since I think atm he is meant to return with the waggon's and thought perhaps a kick from Wilheard's very marish mare mght do the trick. Not just now and not something that would need poor Saffy to be euthanased. Just enough to stop her, and by extension her master from travelling immediately.. I know he could just ride on a waggon but since the Rohirrim love their horses as their children, I don't think he would leave her with virtual strangers.

Old 07-20-2015, 02:33 PM   #224
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
Let me know if anything needs changing. If Thinlomien doesn't object, I may need an excuse for Elfthain to extend his stay, since I think atm he is meant to return with the waggon's and thought perhaps a kick from Wilheard's very marish mare mght do the trick. Not just now and not something that would need poor Saffy to be euthanased. Just enough to stop her, and by extension her master from travelling immediately.. I know he could just ride on a waggon but since the Rohirrim love their horses as their children, I don't think he would leave her with virtual strangers.
I'm not objecting! Honestly, Bolt is a horrible horse, and Wilheard is just about the only one that can handle her. (If any of the characters present is exceptionally good with horses - Léof perhaps? - I'm sure he could handle her too, but she would be rather difficult with most people. So, if Wilheard is not around, she might wreak havoc!)

Btw I loved your post, Mith. I kind of kept the pony joke, because even if Saffy isn't a mountain pony per se, that's what Wilheard would name her in his head. He's not foolish enough to overlook the good qualities of such a horse but he's definitely judging Elfthain for riding such a "pony" however reliable little Saffy is.

Wilheard can be ignored in the stable storyline for now - unless someone really wants him around?, he's out soon. If someone wants to run into our resident anti-hero, let me know. I think he'd be heading for the kitchens eventually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gal
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmp
"You were missed." His eyes opened wider and a momentary look of surprise flashed across his face before he mastered himself; but curiosity remained. She needed to say something more to take the edge off her words. She allowed a sardonic half smile. "I have been bored."
Oh man, I love those two!
Ditto, shipping it so hard.
Old 07-20-2015, 02:59 PM   #225
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Saffy will actually scrub up nicely as I am basing the mountain cob on the Welsh Section D which have small pretty slightly dished faces reminiscent of Arabs (horses). However they are also a bit hairy and stocky and in this case moulting and muddy. She is the equine equivalent of the sensible first car. Reliable, not too fast and with all weather tyres. The colt at home is more of a sports car.

Does Wilheard think Elfthain is a peasant (which could make things interesting) or did that mean Javan and Leof etc?

Last edited by Mithalwen; 07-20-2015 at 03:06 PM.
Old 07-20-2015, 05:10 PM   #226
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Thanks! I hadn't even noticed I'd reached 5,000.

I hadn't remembered Athanar disinheriting his son. What was it for? I feel bad now for Javan's insult.
Old 07-20-2015, 05:20 PM   #227
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Being a git? If he was anything like his baby brother

Old 07-20-2015, 05:29 PM   #228
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
Being a git? If he was anything like his baby brother
Well, naturally. I was wondering more specifically....WHICH crime was it that caused him to be disinherited?
Old 07-20-2015, 09:48 PM   #229
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Wasn't it just part of healing the rift between old and new Scarburgians? I think Athanar told Eodwine that if the yet unborn child is a boy then he will inherit the Eorlship. Not sure if there is a specific crime that catalyzed the decision.
Old 07-21-2015, 02:48 AM   #230
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Wasn't it just part of healing the rift between old and new Scarburgians? I think Athanar told Eodwine that if the yet unborn child is a boy then he will inherit the Eorlship. Not sure if there is a specific crime that catalyzed the decision.
Yes, it was the thing that Athanar was the eorl at that point, and so his firstborn son would be the one expected to become the eorl after him, but Athanar chose to instead pass Scarburg on to Eodwine's child if it is a boy. If you think about it from Wulfric's (and Wilheard's) point of view, it was really awful shock.
Old 07-21-2015, 09:02 AM   #231
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
Yes, it was the thing that Athanar was the eorl at that point, and so his firstborn son would be the one expected to become the eorl after him, but Athanar chose to instead pass Scarburg on to Eodwine's child if it is a boy. If you think about it from Wulfric's (and Wilheard's) point of view, it was really awful shock.
Yup, this exactly. It doesn't really count as disinheriting per se, but that's how Wulfric saw it and so that's what Wilheard thinks too. (Fun fact - I think Wulfric, had he not died tragically young and foolish, would have become a decent man and a good leader, he had those qualities in him even back then. Wilheard, I'm not so sure. A decent man, maybe one day, but he's not cut out to be a leader.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen
Does Wilheard think Elfthain is a peasant (which could make things interesting) or did that mean Javan and Leof etc?
Well you know, I actually wasn't thinking very much at all when I wrote that line. Wilheard would consider anyone under of lower birth than him a peasant - which is funny, because he's not really a snob out of all things, I think his older brother must've just drilled some kind of sense of hierarchy into him - but I was just rereading Elfthain's bio and I don't think he's really much more of a peasant than Wilheard himself. So, I don't know - how does Elfthain carry himself? I noticed he has the courteous demeanor of someone well bred, but how are his clothes and equipment, how fancy? And does he mention his family much? Ie. do you think it would be plausible for someone who's not particularly observant about people (plus currently probably even less so bc some sort of ptsd/depression) to consider him a "peasant"?
Old 07-21-2015, 11:57 AM   #232
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Ah, I see. I remember the part that this all happened in. It makes more sense than an actually disinheriting did. Thanks.
Old 07-21-2015, 12:07 PM   #233
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Hmm yes but for that to happen it would have to be that Wilheard hadn't registered that Elfthain is Elwin's nephew as well as esquire. Elwin is too ambitious and prominent not to be noticed but Elfthain is diffident and too young to probably have crossed paths much with Wilheard in Edoras society. From what I have gathered of Wilheard's mama, she would no doubt know but it could easily have passed a self centred young man by especially if Elfthain has been in standard issue uniform for the journey. His personal gear is good quality but not flashy. He won't make a big deal of his background because he has never had to... but if the right buttons were pressed he could get a bit patrician I think..

Old 07-22-2015, 04:16 PM   #234
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

There, Javan has slightly freaked out Elfthain who is still talking too much - and I have given a bit more of his background. Though he hasn't so if wilheard takes him at face value as an unkempt common-or-garden shield bearer on a shaggy garron it could be amusing at some point.

Last edited by Mithalwen; 07-22-2015 at 04:38 PM.
Old 07-22-2015, 09:35 PM   #235
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Ha! Sorry about that, Mith. I was more trying to set him at his ease.

So, what all has to be accomplished for this day before we move along?
Old 07-22-2015, 10:41 PM   #236
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

It worked fine. He is just worried he is going to be billed as Elfthain and his amazing performing horse on the strength of a couple of simple tricks.

Nothing that needs to be done "on camera" from my POV. Obviously Elfthain will need to clean his tack, remove his other gear from the tackroom and find somewhere to lay his weary head but all that can ber referred to. In an ideal world he would make himself useful and learn how not to talk in speeches but baby steps... He has a LOT of grooming to do tomorrow...

Last edited by Mithalwen; 07-22-2015 at 10:55 PM.
Old 07-23-2015, 03:18 AM   #237
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
So, what all has to be accomplished for this day before we move along?
I wanted to ask the same question - it seems like the basic setup and arrival stuff is getting wrapped up quite nicely. So maybe, do we want to slowly make some shorter timejump - of course after all dialogues in-progress are finished (I guess especially Scyld-Rowenna, possibly Eodwine, mostly?). We could then do several things: since it's what, late-ish afternoon? Either wrap up the whole day and everyone could basically write what their character has been doing for the rest of the time, or then we could jump for example to everyone getting/sitting at the meal and stop at that for more detail; that would obviously be nicer if people wanted to use it for interacting, but only if they wanted to use it for interacting - it probably won't be that much fun describing how one's munching a porridge and looking around; that can be done equally well in a sum-up post of the whole day. Then, I guess, more organising can be done later.
Old 07-23-2015, 06:01 AM   #238
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

I think Scyld and Rowenna are sort of wrapping up here (at least, Rowenna seems eager to escape the can of worms she opened). I'd be fine with moving the timeline along, unless anyone really wants to write about dinner. My vote would be for something in the 2 week range (at least 1, since it'll take Cerwyn that long to get to Scarburg and I'd like to start writing her at the Hall).

Additionally, Scyld is going to need to get up the nerve to give his letter to Eodwine, but he's also going to need to feel like Eodwine's in good enough shape to deal with it... I've toyed with the idea of Scyld speaking to Saeryn and/or Thornden about Eodwine's state first. I guess it depends on how Eodwine seems to be progressing in the time lapse.
Old 07-23-2015, 07:17 AM   #239
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Good by me. Nothing interesting is planned for Ledwyn for now. I do hope she'll start interacting a bit more with others (read: I'll have enough time to write posts regularly). So far each post seems like a stand-alone novel. I don't mind if we jump to dinner, or a few days ahead - whatever's best for all.
Old 07-23-2015, 07:45 AM   #240
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

The only hitch for me with 2 weeks is that Elfthain is attached to the waggon train rather than Scarburg. so he either has to go or have reason to stay. I suppose he might come back on the next waggon train. Or Saffy can be kicked which would give him a reason to stay but his leave even allowing for nepotism and to stay on would surely require the consent of ... Eodwine? Wilheard ? (Eek). Eodwine has been observed isn't well but would Thornden's role include the military side as well as Elwin.

However if the character owners are agreeable there is no reason that can't be related rather than played out. I did think that I might have Elfride turn up to bring her boy clean socks and a horse with full complement of working legs at a suitable interval. Maybe Cerwyn will meet her on the road.

When are the woodlanders arriving?