Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2015, 07:48 PM   #281
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I am good with the close, on my part. I think most others finished the stuff that ought to be completed before the jump too.

I would say don't jump more than a couple days; there are several new characters in the caravan who haven't yet made relationships with the old ones, and lots of news to be exchanged. I think it would be awkward if we skipped this phase. If we are looking for something exciting to happen, there was a suggestion earlier that the Entwash can flood, or there could be the first stirrings of the local lords. In terms of my character, I am very flexible, but I think that a week is the absolute maximum that we should jump. If, however, people want to skip farther along, I could live with that.
Old 08-07-2015, 04:59 PM   #282
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
A few days to a week is fine with me.
Old 08-07-2015, 05:22 PM   #283
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Would the waggons stay as long as a week I wonder? Flooding would stave off the issue but I need to resolve it somehow. It doesn't need to be played out though. It can be reported, How indisposed is Eodwine and if he is incapacitated who deals with the military aspect of the Eorlship?

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Old 08-07-2015, 06:54 PM   #284
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
Would the waggons stay as long as a week I wonder? Flooding would stave off the issue but I need to resolve it somehow. It doesn't need to be played out though. It can be reported, How indisposed is Eodwine and if he is incapacitated who deals with the military aspect of the Eorlship?
We can work with the flooding of the Entwash; it would be quite natural; just add constant rain.

Eodwine is in a bad way. He can lounge about and converse with other folk, but he's in no way to lead a military excursion.

I suppose it would fall to Thornden in his place, though Rowenna might have a few thoughts about her own capacity to lead; not that she would consider unseating the hand-picked second in command, but she might upstage him in the heat of it all.

However, a military business wouldn't be needed if flooding is the issue.

Shall we go three days forward? By then we can have a good deal of flooding with nonstop rain.
Old 08-08-2015, 03:27 AM   #285
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Ok, that could work if it suits others. I don't want a military expedition just thinking longer term who Elfthain would need to deal with if he transferred posting.

If you don't want a bunch of redundant waggons horses and drivers around then could be that Elfthain got delayed temporarily and so separated from the rest of party... horse lost shoe just after start may be and returns alone to Scarburg to get it replaced and the intervening couple of hours enough to make road impassable.

Old 08-09-2015, 10:05 AM   #286
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
I am fine with the proposed ideas. Flooding might be a good start.

Btw, sorry for taking long to respond, this time from my side, Inzil. Hope I did not cut the conversation short, too (but if you wished to add something, it can also be inserted into my post, or you can of course post something for yourself and I can edit my post).

I guess in any case, if we jump a few days, I think we could assume Ladavan's application to service being safely underway (like you could just retrospectively think some opening dialogue happened, but he might still be under consideration and you could then have discussions with other people about it later), or you could make it happen "on-screen" later (e.g. with the explanation that the high-ups didn't have time in the first few days and so on)... I guess that would be up to you and the other people involved; just ideas.

I think a few of those who haven't posted much lately (right now thinking Lommy, Nogrod who have been busy/off) might want to add something somewhere (Lommy mentioned that she might check in today or tomorrow), but I guess nothing that dramatically important. I am also thinking whether I might want to write some fill-in jump-post retrospectively reflecting on the first day's end/the days we jump over from (some of?) my characters' pov, but that's nothing that would interfere with others.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 08-09-2015, 10:27 AM   #287
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Other factor in flooding is how it would affect the woodlanders and Leof's sister whose name has escaped me...

Old 08-10-2015, 12:09 PM   #288
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

I think we should hold off on the flood just yet. There are a lot of characters with business with Eodwine that can be put off a couple days because Eodwine isn't well. So between the arrival of the woodlanders and Leof's sister and getting everyone sorted out I think there's enough material to work with. The flood can be the next day we wrote about.

Thoughts?
Old 08-10-2015, 02:05 PM   #289
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Main thought that I don't want my self-inflicted problem to become a more general one and to stymy anyone else. I will work something out. If I have to temporarily incapacitate Elfthain so be it. He's young and healthy, he will recover

Old 08-10-2015, 02:07 PM   #290
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefoot View Post
I think we should hold off on the flood just yet. There are a lot of characters with business with Eodwine that can be put off a couple days because Eodwine isn't well. So between the arrival of the woodlanders and Leof's sister and getting everyone sorted out I think there's enough material to work with. The flood can be the next day we wrote about.

Thoughts?
No problem with that. It might make sense as far as I am concerned. It just then comes down to who wants to sort out what. I can always find something to fill in just by posting a couple of interactions between my own people (I at least want to do one thing at some point anyway), but also can be of assistance to anybody who is around. Áforglaed can further assist Ladavan (and Hilderinc can too, for that matter). Stefnu can look after Saeryn and Eodwine's kids if Eodwine seems to require a lot of Saeryn's attention and the kids somehow end up messing around too much, feeling neglected, or all of the above. And basically my characters are there for anyone to interact with if you need someone. There's always a way to do it. (If I had an idea to "help" Elfthain stay, I'd be happy to assist, too )
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 08-10-2015, 02:33 PM   #291
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

It doesn't have to be big drama. If the flood is going to happen anyway he just needs a minor hindrance to stop him going with the main party and then by the time the floods clear he may feel inclined to get permission to stay for whatever reason. Even that he feels he would be more useful there than at Edoras. But don't have the flood just for his sake...

Old 08-10-2015, 02:39 PM   #292
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Well, I've been thinking of introducing another character ever since the resurrection of the RPG forum, but I've been putting it off because I couldn't even write properly for one character. However, summer is almost over and I'll soon be gone from my madhouse of a home, with considerably more time on my hands, so it's gonna happen soon. He's going to be travelling from somewhere far, and has no problem with delivering a message from Elfthain's mother telling him to stay in Scarburg for one reason or another. If that works for you, Mith, then I can happily hurry up with the bio and include it with the background post.
Old 08-10-2015, 03:16 PM   #293
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Palantir-Green

I'm sorry I've been neglecting this, I'm catching up today/tomorrow!

But I'm fine with wrapping up the day; everything my characters do is either not important (Modtryth will do her job and Wilheard will shirk his responsibilities and sulk) or can be filled in in retrospect (Brith talking to Saeryn and asking to stay; likewise I assume Fréa and Caranthir would talk to Eodwine and offer their services so they could stay for a while, maybe over the summer for starters...? that would totally happen "off screen" though as they are NPCs)...

edit: AND I promise to keep an eye on the RPG every couple of days from now on so I won't find myself in a similar situation again. Typical summer craziness with a million things to do.

Last edited by Thinlómien; 08-10-2015 at 03:20 PM.
Old 08-10-2015, 03:32 PM   #294
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Thumbs up

Okay, caught up with the game thread! Lovely posts, everyone! I quite adore our new crew - and the old as well. I'll read the discussion thread (I saw talk of a flood ) tomorrow and try to write something for my characters, but definitely don't wait for me. I'll also poke Nogrod like I've done several times before but I wouldn't be too hopeful as he's now back to work and I've been harassing him about his paper telephone too... but I'm sure the plot is not hanging on Stigend or Cnebba.
Old 08-10-2015, 04:09 PM   #295
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
Well, I've been thinking of introducing another character ever since the resurrection of the RPG forum, but I've been putting it off because I couldn't even write properly for one character. However, summer is almost over and I'll soon be gone from my madhouse of a home, with considerably more time on my hands, so it's gonna happen soon. He's going to be travelling from somewhere far, and has no problem with delivering a message from Elfthain's mother telling him to stay in Scarburg for one reason or another. If that works for you, Mith, then I can happily hurry up with the bio and include it with the background post.
Kind offer but I really don't want to put anyone out or alter their plans. And I can't think why mama would keep her cub away. The last thing she said was come home soon.... Don't worry. It may just be that if he is delayed long enough to see these pretty girls arrive her will be begging to stay

Old 08-10-2015, 06:23 PM   #296
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Mith, did you decide you didn't just want to have Elfthain to stay because Eodwine or someone invites him? I remember Elempi mentioning that option.
Old 08-11-2015, 08:48 AM   #297
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

That would be absolutely fine. But Eodwine doesn't seem well enough yet to be aware of someone so peripheral ... maybe Javan could put in a word with his big brother>? Then Elfthain could write to his uncle by the returning convoy or something.

Last edited by Mithalwen; 08-11-2015 at 03:20 PM.
Old 08-11-2015, 02:12 PM   #298
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Legate, I'm all right with a time jump, and maybe Ladavan just being found and approached by someone in response to his military interest. Hopefully the contact will be as open-minded as Áforglaed, if he doesn't do it himself. Or maybe not.
Old 08-11-2015, 09:09 PM   #299
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
That would be absolutely fine. But Eodwine doesn't seem well enough yet to be aware of someone so peripheral ... maybe Javan could put in a word with his big brother>? Then Elfthain could write to his uncle by the returning convoy or something.
That is a great idea.

Would not the people in the convoy in general want to stick around a few days anyway to rest? How quickly do you think they'd want to move on?
Old 08-12-2015, 03:57 AM   #300
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Certainly a few days since although it isn't a huge distance it would have been fairly hard going for the draught horses in the mud. so long enough for Elfthain to perhaps start to make a few friends and be amenable to the idea of staying. He had better be on his best behaviour..

Old 08-12-2015, 01:10 PM   #301
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

So if I post in a few hours and move forward a couple days, will everyone be alright with that?
Old 08-12-2015, 01:47 PM   #302
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Sounds good to me.

On a side note:

Are the map and plan on the old thread still valid (Nogrod's)? I make it about 40 miles in old money between Scarburg and Edoras is that right?

Old 08-12-2015, 03:54 PM   #303
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
Legate, I'm all right with a time jump, and maybe Ladavan just being found and approached by someone in response to his military interest. Hopefully the contact will be as open-minded as Áforglaed, if he doesn't do it himself. Or maybe not.
Anything goes For that matter, I am not sure I would call Áforglaed necessarily "open-minded", he's just, maybe I would say, chaotic in the way that he doesn't mind So I think we'll still see him going "hey! Look guys, I am sitting next to a Dunlending!" and, say, if something went missing, he would suspect the Dunlending first, but at least he is being kind of honest in this way of thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren View Post
So if I post in a few hours and move forward a couple days, will everyone be alright with that?
Fine by me.

Quote:
Sounds good to me.

On a side note:

Are the map and plan on the old thread still valid (Nogrod's)? I make it about 40 miles in old money between Scarburg and Edoras is that right?
Should be. For that matter, I have been thinking (Pio?) if these maps from the previous thread (namely Nog's and Folwren's, I think - Scarburg and surroundings and the general outline of the Hall - probably now somewhat changed, but for the basic orientation purposes) could be linked directly among the sources on the first page of this thread. I used them a few times already on this thread, and it's kind of difficult to look up at this point.
Old 08-12-2015, 04:47 PM   #304
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
For that matter, I have been thinking (Pio?) if these maps from the previous thread (namely Nog's and Folwren's, I think - Scarburg and surroundings and the general outline of the Hall - probably now somewhat changed, but for the basic orientation purposes) could be linked directly among the sources on the first page of this thread. I used them a few times already on this thread, and it's kind of difficult to look up at this point.
----------------------------

Your wish is my editorial command!

There is now a link to the original page from the Scarburg Meadhall Discussion Thread where the maps and descriptions of the Meadhall and its surrounds are listed.

The link is on post #3 of this discussion thread - HERE
Old 08-13-2015, 08:17 AM   #305
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

So a few hours passed and nothing happened. I will do my utmost to post later today, but if someone beats me to it, then so be it.

-- Foley
Old 08-18-2015, 12:36 PM   #306
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Ok, so I went and fell off the face of the planet after promising to post. Sorry about that. Teaching has begun and I have no internet at home. I cannot possibly write a post at this point in time. I am not sure when I'll be able to. Internet comes on at home on Saturday, though!

-- Folwren
Old 08-23-2015, 11:06 AM   #307
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
OKAY, EVERYBODY, WHAT'S THE STICKING POINT? RL?

What needs to happen to get to the new day?
Old 08-24-2015, 06:50 AM   #308
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Haha. When I first read your question I thought you were inserting 'sticking' for some expletive. I re-read it and saw that was not so.

Yes, sir. Well, mine is 2-fold. One reason is RL - mostly the fact that I had no internet at home at all last week.

The second is that I started 2 PM posts and haven't yet finished either one.

Honestly, I think most people are waiting for someone to start a post for the next day. I promised to do it, then never did, and I regret saying I could do it when it turns out I couldn't.
Old 08-24-2015, 08:52 AM   #309
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

If you like I could post something that would at least start off a day a couple of days on if you will allow me to assume that Elfthain and Javan have struck up as much of a friendship as possible in the time and E realising to his surprise he is a little sorry that he is due to depart soon with convoy. Also to be written in the recognition that I may make rookie errors that the old Scarburgians will want corrected. Oh and do you want rain written in?

Old 08-24-2015, 10:06 AM   #310
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

I'm very happy with assuming that Javan and Elfthain struck up a friendship. Rain would make sense.

I will try to write a post today. Emphasis on 'try'.
Old 08-24-2015, 06:39 PM   #311
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Haha. When I first read your question I thought you were inserting 'sticking' for some expletive. I re-read it and saw that was not so.

'Sticking' go for it, Mithalwen!

Do that and I'll follow with something about either Eodwine or Rowenna.
Old 08-25-2015, 04:51 AM   #312
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Way to go, Mith! I say if you have some good idea, go for it. (Or anyone, really.) I've been away for a week, so there was no chance to post whatsoever. And Mith, I would not worry about getting the "facts" right or anything. In the worst case, everything can be corrected later, but I think all of us here are sensible and experienced writers and that the main point of posts is that they are sensible, and that I am sure we need not worry about. Minor technicalities are just minor technicalities.
Old 08-25-2015, 08:56 AM   #313
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

For me it's been partly RL and partly just waiting for someone else to start the day...

I'm also sort of waiting for some cues about Eodwine's state - whether Scyld will feel like he can take his letter directly to him or whether he seems too ill/disengaged, in which case he might first approach Saeryn or Thornden...
Old 08-26-2015, 03:58 AM   #314
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Palantir-Green

Lommy update: I'm still not caught up with the discussion thread (oops - and I'll join the RL excuse club) but Folwren and I are writing a pm post with Brith and Saeryn, and it can be posted later. So, whatever is going on, don't wait for me, I'll catch up, and also, I'm not as inactive as it may seem.
Old 08-26-2015, 06:43 PM   #315
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Well it a start and I am truly happy to amend anything though I hope not everything! If anyone wants to talk to the lad he will answer promptly..

Old 08-27-2015, 09:12 PM   #316
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

I think writing that post made me feel nearly as anxious as Scyld...
Old 08-28-2015, 02:08 PM   #317
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Ha! Really nice to see the activity. I hope I will find a moment during the weekend to post something. Really hope so!
Old 08-29-2015, 07:22 AM   #318
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Firefoot - note that you have written this:
Quote:
discipline under Scyld’s ruthless hand
- I think you want the name "Sorn" there.

Are the contents of the letter from Linduial posted anywhere? If not, can you give me a gist of what Eodwine is reading?

thanks!

This is going to get interesting....
Old 08-29-2015, 08:27 AM   #319
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet View Post

This is going to get interesting....
I agree. I can't wait.
Old 08-29-2015, 01:11 PM   #320
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Gah, my bad.

I haven't written the letter out anywhere, but the gist of it is Linduial's account of Scyld's role in her kidnapping and subsequent escape; I believe at some point Jenny wrote that Linduial credited Scyld with saving her life so that would probably be mentioned. Probably there would be some explanation of why she never mentioned Scyld when she was first rescued (respecting his wishes though she had been willing to defend him at thattime - he just didn't trust her or the government authorities). Scyld has read it and considered it kinder than he deserved, and believes it sufficiently exonerates him to be comfortable enough handing it over.