The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > The New Silmarillion > Translations from the Elvish - Public Forum
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-08-2002, 05:21 PM   #1
Thingol
Shade of Carn Dûm

Thingol has just left Hobbiton.
Ring Did Sauron take the ring with him to Numenor

Hi, this is my first post in here, and before I ask my question let me just say that you guys really know your stuff and have some very interesting topics going. Well anyway, according to the letters of Tolkien Sauron took the ring with him.

Quote:
Though reduced to a 'spirit of hatred borne on a dark wind', I do not think one need boggle at this spirit carrying off the One Ring, upon which his power of domination minds now largely depended.
(The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien #211)
However, in the Akalabeth in the Silm it says:

Quote:
...and came back to Middle Earth and to Mordor that was his home. There he took up again his great Ring in the Baradur..
From what I've read on this board you all would consider what is written in the letters as correct because it was written by Tolkien himself, but I'm curious as to whether or not Chris Tolkien or J.R.R. Tolkien made any more reference to this. I've never read the HoME series so I can not be sure (They are expensive and hard to find in libraries) Well anyway I hope you don't mind my posting, considering this is part of the Akalabeth and not actually the Silmarillion, even though its in the same book.

[ January 09, 2002: Message edited by: Thingol ]
Yet the lies that Melkor, the mighty and accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days.
Thingol is offline   Reply With Quote