The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2013, 02:56 AM   #1
carpinteyroxhc
Banned

carpinteyroxhc is still gossiping in the Green Dragon.
toms outlet

i tom

i sell stuff

buy tom stuff
carpinteyroxhc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 04:18 AM   #2
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Brooches set with blue stones! Long, leaf-shaped daggers, damasked with serpent-forms in red and gold! Circlets! Gold chains! Rings! Come buy, come buy!
Old 06-18-2013, 05:45 AM   #3
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
1420!

Sale on Fantasy/Sci-fi Names! From dragons to princesses to alien bounty-hunters, from the realms of faery to the far reaches of space, we’ve got the names for you!

30% off Iruhva, Pnydtr and Mvhuja!

50% off Yrsmrd, Vmeesv, Ugaiac and Xvinwu!!!

and an unbelievable–

70% off Ihanra, Ivkvao and Rvywvn!!!!!

(Participating outlets only. While stocks last.)
Old 06-18-2013, 05:49 AM   #4
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Spammer banned, but the following posts are worth leaving up for a day or so - enjoy!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:53 PM   #5
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
i talk in sentences of 3 syllables or less.

make that:

i tlk 'n sntncs 'f three sllbles or lss.
Old 06-18-2013, 04:53 PM   #6
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpinteyroxhc View Post
i tom

i sell stuff

buy tom stuff
Thanks for banning the spam Esty, as with advertising like that, how could anyone possibly resist?

i esty

i ban spam

i ban tom
Old 06-18-2013, 04:56 PM   #7
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alatar View Post
Thanks for banning the spam Esty, as with advertising like that, how could anyone possibly resist?
Well, you know, some try to do it in chinese...
Old 06-19-2013, 03:53 AM   #8
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alatar View Post

i esty

i ban spam

i ban tom

I was disappointed when I first opened this thread though, because I thought for a second that it would be about Tom Bombadil and it obviously wasn't.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:20 AM   #9
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir View Post

I was disappointed when I first opened this thread though, because I thought for a second that it would be about Tom Bombadil and it obviously wasn't.
Well I was disappointed that this wannabe Tom--erm, "i Tom"--lacks the finesse with language which the original Tom has.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:38 PM   #10
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bęthberry View Post
Well I was disappointed that this wannabe Tom--erm, "i Tom"--lacks the finesse with language which the original Tom has.
I tom,
sell tom tom
buy bombadillo!
Old 06-19-2013, 12:55 PM   #11
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
I tom,
sell tom tom
buy bombadillo!
Or perhaps:

"I Tom
Buy Tom
Sell spamadillo" ?
Old 06-19-2013, 02:23 PM   #12
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Well I think that this Tom is a better poet..touch of the William Carlos Williams quality.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 05:59 PM   #13
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
Well I think that this Tom is a better poet..touch of the William Carlos Williams quality.
Do I foresee a duel--(red) wheelbarrows at dawn?

Poetry of course is 9/10ths taste, but for me the really interesting aspect of the original Bombadillo--well, there are several--is the fact that even his prose is rhythmic, metred. Nonsense as he is, there's quite a bit to old Tom if one scratches the surface, like much in Tolkien.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:31 AM   #14
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
I think Mith has a point, though. There is something to be said for the simple directness with which “i tom” conveys his message...
Old 06-20-2013, 02:23 AM   #15
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
This is one of the reasons I love the Downs so much - our witty members can take trash and make it so enjoyable that it turns into a jewel of humour!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 03:27 AM   #16
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Bombadil's poetry is sub~vogon and makes Pam Ayers seem like TS Eliot in comparison.

Old 06-20-2013, 07:17 AM   #17
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pervinca Took is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estelyn Telcontar View Post
Spammer banned, but the following posts are worth leaving up for a day or so - enjoy!
Couldn't the thread be left up as a worthy rival to the other spambot thread? The Lucy one, I think it was?
Old 06-20-2013, 07:37 AM   #18
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
You know, why should this be all about Bombadil? There's another Tom in Middle-earth!

Tom the Troll says: "What's a spambot anyways? And can yer cook 'em?"
Old 06-20-2013, 07:43 AM   #19
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Hang on ...

"Up came Tom with his big boots on
Said he to Troll, "Pray, what is yon?"

Was the Tom of Sam's troll-song actually Tom Bombadil? I'd never thought of that before.

Also, I'm sure at least one of the Cottons was called Tom. (Maybe short for Tolman; I don't recall exactly).
Old 06-20-2013, 08:28 AM   #20
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pervinca Took View Post
"Up came Tom with his big boots on
Said he to Troll, "Pray, what is yon?"

Was the Tom of Sam's troll-song actually Tom Bombadil? I'd never thought of that before.

Also, I'm sure at least one of the Cottons was called Tom. (Maybe short for Tolman; I don't recall exactly).
Where was the discussion about Tom Bombadil's influence on Sam? Was this mentioned there, or is it something I was going to post but never did?

Because when B-berry linked Sam's sudden bursts of poetry to Tom Bombadil, the choice of the name 'Tom' in the poem seems hardly coincidental.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:49 AM   #21
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir View Post
Where was the discussion about Tom Bombadil's influence on Sam? Was this mentioned there, or is it something I was going to post but never did?

Because when B-berry linked Sam's sudden bursts of poetry to Tom Bombadil, the choice of the name 'Tom' in the poem seems hardly coincidental.
Well, there was my paper on "Tolkien and Nonsense" at RotR *coughs* where Tom's influence on Sam was discussed and I do believe I have mentioned it once or twice here on the Downs.

It is no accident that Tom is linked with folk nonsense verse. (And for that reason--the relation of Bombadil to early folk nonsense--I would reject Mithalwen's claim that Tom's poetry is "sub~vogon".)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inzil
You know, why should this be all about Bombadil? There's another Tom in Middle-earth!

Tom the Troll says: "What's a spambot anyways? And can yer cook 'em?"
By jove, you've got it!
Old 06-20-2013, 08:55 AM   #22
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Quote:
Well, there was my paper on "Tolkien and Nonsense" at RotR *coughs* where Tom's influence on Sam was discussed and I do believe I have mentioned it once or twice here on the Downs.
Oh yes! And more recently in some thread here, I believe - anyway I managed to connect it to you despite my rubbish memory.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:11 PM   #23
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tom B wouldn't have a "nuncle," I suppose - "He would fall, last as he was first," I think Elrond says. And not in the sense that Lear's Fool uses the term, either, since he serves no-one. But in nonsense rhyme such things wouldn't matter.
Old 06-20-2013, 05:17 PM   #24
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

You guys don't get anything! He's neither Tom B, Tom the troll, or Sam's Tom! He's actually Gollum. He just has a conflict of identities. One side of his character says, "i tom". The other side responds immediately, "i sell stuff". How can someone named Tom also be named Sell Stuff? Nay, this here is clearly a battle between the Gollum and the Smeagol!
Old 06-20-2013, 05:27 PM   #25
Aiwendil
Late Istar

Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I note that according to the OED, 'tom' can be a verb meaning 'to practise prostitution' - which could perhaps also be euphemistically described as 'selling stuff'. Clearly, then, the post was intended as a kind of confession; 'carpinteyroxhc' (probably a pseudonym) usually keeps his/her occupation secret but needed an 'outlet'.

Edit: I never would have guessed my 2,000th post would be in a thread started by a spambot.

Last edited by Aiwendil; 06-20-2013 at 05:32 PM.
Aiwendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 03:01 AM   #26
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Oh come on Behberry! Ombadil gives the impressiion he chooses his gaudy wardrobe to fit his ghastly rhymes.

There is another Tom. One of the fringe casualties of the war of the ring at Bree, Tom Pickthorn and not forgetting Tomfools whether Tooks or chief's men... or tom tap in Moria

Old 06-21-2013, 06:32 AM   #27
tomtom
Banned

tomtom has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe tom back

bombadil not poet
tom poet
tom poetbot
buy tom verse
tomtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:04 AM   #28
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Quote:
Oh come on Behberry! Ombadil gives the impressiion he chooses his gaudy wardrobe to fit his ghastly rhymes.
Oh come on Mithalwen!

Tinkly Zinky
Tilly-loo!
and Yonghy-Bonghy-Bo
Uncle Arly

How pleasant to know Mr. Bombadil.

But I do rather like "Ombadil". Om, the universal mantra.
Old 06-21-2013, 10:55 AM   #29
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
Oh come on Mithalwen!

Tinkly Zinky
Tilly-loo!
and nghy-Bonghy-Bo
Uncle Arly

How pleasant to know Mr. Bombadil.

But I do rather like "Ombadil". Om, the universal mantra.
Still can't type well on micro keyboard and hate Bombadil ... and his stupid poetry.

Old 06-21-2013, 12:05 PM   #30
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Quote:
Still can't type well on micro keyboard and hate Bombadil ... and his stupid poetry.
Well, I'd say it's just plain silly, but I won't quibble with you.

Here's a bit more from Mr. Lear that might provide more nonsense context.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr and Mrs Discobbolos

So Mr and Mrs Discobbolos
Stood up, and began to sing,
'Far away from hurry and strife
Here we will pass the rest of life,
Ding a dong, ding dong, ding!
We want no knives nor forks nor chairs,
No tables nor carpets nor household cares,
From worry of life we've fled -
'Oh! W! X! Y! Z!
There is no more trouble ahead
Sorrow or any such thing -
For Mr and Mrs Discobbolos!'
Old 06-21-2013, 01:46 PM   #31
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom View Post
bombadil not poet
tom poet
tom poetbot
buy tom verse
OK, out with it. Who's having all this fun? Nerwen? Agan? alatar? ...Inzil???
Old 06-21-2013, 04:30 PM   #32
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Lear is just as bad then. Id prefer the ning nang nong.

Galadriel it is quite obvious that tomtom is in league with our friend from San Seriffe the Herald of Mandos

Last edited by Mithalwen; 06-22-2013 at 05:29 AM.
Old 06-23-2013, 12:33 AM   #33
Herald_of_Mandos
Pile O'Bones

Herald_of_Mandos has just left Hobbiton.
Sprung! Curses!
Herald_of_Mandos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 02:48 AM   #34
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Shh we will only speak of it in a small light font. But always happy to see you especially off season. Pineapples and swarfega all round!

Old 06-23-2013, 10:50 AM   #35
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
OK, out with it. Who's having all this fun? Nerwen? Agan? alatar? ...Inzil???
Not me, but I've been asking myself the same question! Especially as the original poster didn't actually speak in rhyme - I was assuming a modly intervention gave them the gift of poetry.
Old 06-23-2013, 11:21 AM   #36
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

The poetry of the original wa perceived, by me as it happens, rather than intentional I think..like that of Donald Rumsfeld