The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2014, 12:44 PM   #161
LordPhillock
Animated Skeleton

LordPhillock has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Skype™ to LordPhillock
I fully appreciate your own willingness, indeed!
LordPhillock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 07:08 PM   #162
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
1420!

Nice riffing!
Old 03-30-2014, 02:13 AM   #163
Lotrelf
Shade of Carn Dûm

Lotrelf has just left Hobbiton.
And people still defend PJ's films. That's all I can say.
Old 03-31-2014, 05:16 PM   #164
LordPhillock
Animated Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen View Post
Nice riffing!
hooray, someone actually looked at it! I'm glad you liked it
Old 10-20-2014, 09:11 AM   #165
Zigûr
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Zigûr is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Zigûr is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I know no one's posted in this thread recently but I didn't think this was worth starting a new one for.

Supposedly it's revealed on the Extended Edition Blu-Ray (in the bonus material I suppose) that that ludicrous scene in this film where Smaug was chasing the Dwarves all around Erebor was one of the things added in after they'd shot the original two films when they decided to pad it out to three.

No wonder it feels so tacked on and the ending is such a cop-out (Smaug leaves to attack Lake-Town for no discernible reason when he could have deep-fried the majority of Thorin and Company right then and there).

What really astounds me, however, is something that struck me when watching 'An Unexpected Journey' too. This film went for two hours and forty-one minutes. They can't have filmed that much extra material after the three-part decision was made. That would mean that even before the 'trilogy' decision, they probably had enough material to make three films anyway, probably one and a half to two hours each. But no, they're the successors to Peter Jacksons 'The Lord of the Rings,' so they have to go for nearly three hours each because that's just how long a 'Peter Jackson Lord of the Rings film' has to go for. Obviously shorter films would make it harder to justify a trilogy as well, even if they actually already had enough material. So that's how we ended up with all this filler. The original excuse, that they had so much anyway that they thought it was better to make three films rather than two, surely doesn't hold up when it's outright stated that turning it into a trilogy wasn't about saving material from the cutting room floor but actually involved producing more padding to artificially extend the runtime.

I think this is what Baudrillard called Pure Simulation.
Old 10-22-2014, 03:57 AM   #166
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigûr View Post
I think this is what Baudrillard called Pure Simulation.
And it's also what PJ would call Pure Silmarillion. (Let's hope we never see that day...)
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 11:58 PM   #167
Zigûr
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Zigûr is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Zigûr is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I see the new one is bearing the tagline 'The Defining Chapter.'

What were the other chapters then? Indefinite?
Old 10-24-2014, 01:48 AM   #168
IxnaY AintsaY
Haunting Spirit

IxnaY AintsaY has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:

What were the other chapters then? Indefinite?
They sure felt nearly indefinite.
From without the World, though all things may be forethought in music or foreshown in vision from afar, to those who enter verily into Eä each in its time shall be met at unawares as something new and unforetold.
IxnaY AintsaY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 06:35 AM   #169
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Ah, so they finally admit that they're really going at a rate of a chapter a film.
Old 10-26-2014, 12:16 PM   #170
Smug the Fabulous
Pile O'Bones

Smug the Fabulous has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
Ah, so they finally admit that they're really going at a rate of a chapter a film.
I can imagine in another world, there's a Peter Jackson who is mad enough to make a three-hour movie out of each of The Hobbit's 19 chapters.
"It is everywhere. It is everything. Its scales glisten in the bark of trees. Its roar is heard in the wind. And its forked tongue strikes like... *lightning strikes* whoa! Like lightning!"-Merlin, Excalibur(1981)
Smug the Fabulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 06:51 AM   #171
tom the eldest
Wight

tom the eldest has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuor in Gondolin View Post
Thanks to Aganzir review. I was leaning towards not wasting time on Hobbit Ii and III after seeing the awful Hobbit I. PJ continues his devolution.
I actually gave FotR, upon reflection, an A- (despite some silly and unnecessary changes/omissions), TTT a C+, RotK a C-, Hobbit Part I an F. Hobbit actually wasn't awful until up until the trolls, then PJ got sillier and sillier. Instead of a believable book tale of Gandalf turning lights out, slaying the Great Goblin, and being a reguard with Thorin for the escape you had the absurd Goblin sizes, rediculously overblown Goblintown, impossible escapes of Thorin and Co....
No need to waste time and money on PJ's failed Hobbit. I'll stick with the 1977 Rankin/Bass version until a reasonable production of The Hobbit is done.

(From Wikipedia):
Or maybe the 1966 12-minute long version?
Old 11-10-2014, 11:30 PM   #172
LordPhillock
Animated Skeleton

if anyone still cares - I just had to take a look at the "extended edition", and doing so - as is our unholy tradition until next November - we also recorded another commentary of me and two of my mates seeing it for the first time ever.
For those who have a morbid curiosity about what new surprise awaits, I'd love it if you checked it out.

Rest assured, I was not ready for Thrain's wilhelm scream.
Old 11-12-2014, 05:36 AM   #173
Tar-Jêx
Wight

Tar-Jêx has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordPhillock View Post
if anyone still cares - I just had to take a look at the "extended edition", and doing so - as is our unholy tradition until next November - we also recorded another commentary of me and two of my mates seeing it for the first time ever.
For those who have a morbid curiosity about what new surprise awaits, I'd love it if you checked it out.

Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Tar-Jêx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 07:29 AM   #174
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:

Okay, watched it. Again, nice riffing.

And yeah, the whole Thrain-business is just wierd.
Old 11-21-2014, 10:42 AM   #175
Smug the Fabulous
Pile O'Bones

Smug the Fabulous has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Well, I still haven't seen The Desolation of Smaug and know about the changes they did, like the thing with Tauriel and Kili and so on...but this...THIS!!!
I honestly did not think these movies could get worse than the naked Dwarves in An Unexpected Journey until hearing the word "bollocks" and seeing Stephen Fry munching on the above-mentioned body parts...

Dear, dear me. I need a lie down.
"It is everywhere. It is everything. Its scales glisten in the bark of trees. Its roar is heard in the wind. And its forked tongue strikes like... *lightning strikes* whoa! Like lightning!"-Merlin, Excalibur(1981)
Smug the Fabulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 08:48 PM   #176
Tar-Jêx
Wight

Tolkien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smug the Fabulous View Post
Well, I still haven't seen The Desolation of Smaug and know about the changes they did, like the thing with Tauriel and Kili and so on...but this...THIS!!!
I honestly did not think these movies could get worse than the naked Dwarves in An Unexpected Journey until hearing the word "bollocks" and seeing Stephen Fry munching on the above-mentioned body parts...

Dear, dear me. I need a lie down.
I don't think anything could be more disgusting and cringe worthy than the Tauriel x Kili romance subplot.
Old 11-21-2014, 09:19 PM   #177
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tar-Jêx View Post
I don't think anything could be more disgusting and cringe worthy than the Tauriel x Kili romance subplot.
Ahem.

Old 11-22-2014, 12:06 AM   #178
Tar-Jêx
Wight

Tolkien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
Ahem.

-OH GOD-

I didn't want to remember that! In fact, I completely erased it from my memory.
Thanks, Inziladun.
Old 11-06-2015, 06:39 AM   #179
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Did you know Lord Phillock and friends have riffed the final one? A couple of months ago, actually. Check it out, they're pretty funny.
Old 11-06-2015, 09:08 AM   #180
Faramir Jones
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots Galadriel and Kili?

Inziladun and Tar-Jêx, it could have been Galadriel and Kili...
Faramir Jones is offline   Reply With Quote