The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2004, 08:08 PM   #1
Vuelve
Wight

Location: A portal to an alternate dimension at your local Wal-Mart store.
Vuelve has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Vuelve
1420! Those Cute Little Hobbit Children........

Those cute little Hobbit children.I mean those adorable children at Helms Deep.What I meant to say was those darling Gondorian kids.Those little kids sure do get around.Sure they were cute and all, but them being in every movie as someone different was really obvious.When I saw them in the third movie I couldn't believe it.I personally think their role as Hobbits was cutest.They were really lucky to get to play in all movies.Weren't they P.J.'s kids??Mark my words, some T.V. person probably saw them and now we'll be seeing them on all kinds of commercials.<BR> <BR>Any Thoughts???<P>Black and green on my computer screen,<BR>Vuelve
Vuelve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 08:40 PM   #2
Thengal
Haunting Spirit

Thengal has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Really? I didn't realize that they were the same kids in every single movie. Those kids are lucky!
Thengal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 08:43 PM   #3
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Weren't they P.J.'s kids?? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Yes they were. And if I had kids that cute (actually I have ) and I was making a film, I would ensure that they were featured as much as possible too.
Old 01-23-2004, 08:47 PM   #4
Eothain Elfwine
Animated Skeleton

Eothain Elfwine has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

The two Hobbit children in FotR were indeed PJ's children. I thought perhaps they were also in Helm's Deep and in Minas Tirith, and it makes sense that they were. Many of the cast and crew had friends and relatives in the movies. Elijah Woods' sister was in Helm's Deep. The boy Aragorn talks to and compliments on his sword at Helm's Deep, Halfast son of Hama, was, I believe, Viggo Mortensen's son. Philippa Boyens' son was, I think, also at Helm's Deep, the small lad peering over the wall, his face almost completely obscured by his helmet. PJ himself had cameos in the first two and possibly the third movie; in FotR he was at Bree, eating a carrot; in TTT he was in the Hornburg at Helm's Deep, valiantly defending the door. Many of the Hobbits were friends or relatives; one of them didn't wear a wig because he had perfect hobbit-hair. I can't think of any more at present.
Old 01-23-2004, 09:23 PM   #5
Eothain Elfwine
Animated Skeleton

Eothain Elfwine has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

My apologies: I was incorrect about the son of Hama. His name was Haleth, and he was not Viggo Mortensen's son. But I believe I am correct about Viggo's son being in the movie at some point.
Old 01-23-2004, 09:26 PM   #6
eothain elfwine

Shield

One of the others I forgot: Elannor, Sam's daughter, at the very end of RotK, is Sean Astin's daughter.
Old 01-23-2004, 09:39 PM   #7
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>One of the others I forgot: Elannor, Sam's daughter, at the very end of RotK, is Sean Astin's daughter.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Also, the other little hobbit child is Sarah McLeod's (Rosie's!) daughter, Maisie McLeod-Riera! I think, in the order of children, that would make the child "Frodo-lad" as Sam called him...<P>Cheers!<BR>Lyta
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 12:54 AM   #8
Armetiel
Haunting Spirit

Armetiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

hey does anyone on this thread know the NAMES of Peter Jackson's kids? I'd really like to know for someone who's asking...thanks.
Old 01-24-2004, 01:20 AM   #9
Arathiriel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arathiriel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arathiriel
Sting

I believe the names of PJ's kids are Billy and Katie Jackson if I am not mistaken!
Old 01-24-2004, 02:07 AM   #10
Armetiel
Haunting Spirit

Armetiel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

^Thanks That does sound right (I'd heard them before, I just couldn't remember them
Old 01-24-2004, 11:43 AM   #11
Enedbelethiel
Animated Skeleton

Enedbelethiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> But I believe I am correct about Viggo's son being in the movie at some point. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> You're definitely right, Eothain. Viggo's son Henry made a cameo as an orc, and good old Aragorn was actually supposed to "slay" him but stepped aside for a Rohirrim soldier to finish the job.
Old 01-24-2004, 03:25 PM   #12
Alverannie

Sting

I think my favorite cameo is Peter Jackson burping at Bree.
Old 01-25-2004, 12:29 AM   #13
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>You're definitely right, Eothain. Viggo's son Henry made a cameo as an orc, and good old Aragorn was actually supposed to "slay" him but stepped aside for a Rohirrim soldier to finish the job.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I actually thought that Henry was in the scene that was talked about above (the one with the sword and Halfast), but he was the guy standing by the fire in the back. But I wouldn't be surprised if he had multiple small roles in the films. He was the reason that Viggo took the role. So many of us fans owe him many thanks
Old 01-25-2004, 05:01 AM   #14
Daisy Brambleburr
Shade of Carn Dûm

Daisy Brambleburr has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Didn't Peter Jackson have a cameo in the third film? I'm sure I saw him swaggering about on one of the Corasir ships. And I'm not sure, but he may have also been a wild man of Dunland in TTT. I think I saw him in that scene, or someone who looked a lot like him.
Old 01-25-2004, 10:58 AM   #15
Gamli Naugrim

Silmaril

That mercenary sailor certainly was Jacksonesque, but why so pale? <P>One of the many reasons Lotr the film is so appealing to me is that I can spend hours ( well a bit of time) playing Spot the Jacko. I am sure you're all aware of his cameos in Fellowship and Towers. For those who may not know he is a man holding a carrot in Bree, a wild man preparing to pillage and he makes appearances on the walls of Helms Deep. <P>I believe the boy who Aragorn consoles on the wall (Haleth) is Callum Gittens, my sources say that he is the son of Philippa Boyens.
Old 01-25-2004, 11:15 AM   #16
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

I thought Henry was the kid receiving the battle-axe in the arming scene. But then again, I could be wrong.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 11:33 AM   #17
Carlas
Shade of Carn Dûm

Carlas has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Carlas
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> a wild man preparing to pillage <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Are you sure thats right? I seem to remeber PJ saying in an interview or somewhere after he was asked if he was one, that he hadn't but it was a good idea.
Old 01-27-2004, 12:01 PM   #18
Burzdol
Shade of Carn Dûm

Burzdol has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Viggo's son was Henry, he was the boy the Aragorn spoke to about surviving the night, and about his sword. I herad that in an interview with PJ.
Old 01-27-2004, 12:12 PM   #19
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

You mean Haleth son of Hama? For real??? That was Viggo's son!?!? I wonder why that's not better known?<P>That was one of the best (IMO) original scenes in TTT... I loved that scene, mostly because of the subtle irony over the sword.<P>"The men are saying that we will not live out the night; they say it is hopeless."<P>"Give me your sword." (Identical to the one Viggo tossed away in disgust earlier, if not the very same sword).... <P>swish swish swish... <P>"This is a good sword, Haleth son of Hama.... There is *always* hope."<P>Great scene....<p>[ 1:14 PM January 27, 2004: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]
Old 01-27-2004, 12:20 PM   #20
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

That was not Viggo's son - it was Philippa Boyens' son. Viggo's son was there, but in a different role.<P>Here's a page with the pictures of various cameos - it's in German, but you'll recognize the names: <A HREF="http://www.herr-der-ringe-movie.de/news-details172.htm" TARGET=_blank>LotR cameos</A>. Check out <A HREF="http://forum.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=4&t=001517" TARGET=_blank>this thread</A> for a similar discussion.<p>[ 1:34 PM January 27, 2004: Message edited by: Estelyn Telcontar ]
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 12:20 PM   #21
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Hmm...IMDB says Haleth is played by Calum Gittins, Phillippa Boyens' son.<BR>I liked that scene too but it confused the hell out of me the first time I saw it. I was thinking Haleth as in 'People of Haleth', and I thought it was going to turn out to be a girl, fighting to try and avenge her dead father's honour (you know, they hewed Hama before the gate)...
Old 04-18-2004, 01:00 PM   #22
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Knight of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Knight of Gondor
Quote:
I thought Henry was the kid receiving the battle-axe in the arming scene. But then again, I could be wrong.
Yeah, you got it right there. I didn't know that Haleth was Ms. Boyens' son, though. I didn't recognize those two little kids in Minas Tirith until my second viewing, though. I did not see PJ in RotK, but someone told me he actually did a little fighting. I did see him in Bree, and he also hurled a spear at an Uruk in Helm's Deep. (You can tell, because the camera makes sure to show us the result of the spear) I think cameos are interesting, actually. They don't ruin any realism for me. Anyone else feel different?
Eagerly awaiting the REAL Return of the King - Jesus Christ! Revelation 19:11-16
Knight of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 10:21 AM   #23
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Essex has just left Hobbiton.
did I also see jackson's kids at sam and rosie's wedding?

ps unfortunately at these points (especially at bilbo's party and in the caves of aglarond) their faces bring me slap bang back to our 'earth'. I cannot 'forget' who they are, and it is off putting. away I go from middle earth, and it takes me a few minutes to get back into the swing of things... this is also the fact when I see jackson in bree, helms deep and on the corasir ship.

ps I was watching heavenly creatures the other day, and it looks like jackson plays a cameo in that film as well (a drunk outside the cinema). does he play a cameo in every film he makes?
Essex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 06:55 PM   #24
Elianna
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elianna has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

My knowledge of the boys at Helm's Deep:
Haleth was Phillipa's son, but by the time they did the ADR, the boy's voice had changed so they had to get another person to do the voice.
The other boy by the fire was Viggo's son.

Peter's boy, Billy, was the only un-wigged Hobbit in the entire movie.

These bits of trivial trivia I've learned from the commentaries of FotR and TTT.

Billy and Katie Jackson are in the credits as "Cute Hobbit Children" in FotR, I don't remember what they were called in the other two.

I find it interesting that as a Hobbit-lass, Peter's daughter, Katie, is amazingly adorable, but as a Rohirric kid, she looks like Éomer... (my friend thinks so too)

Looked like Katie again at Sam and Rosie's wedding to me, but since I didn't see Billy and they were already Gondorian children when Faramir was riding to his doom, I'm not certain. You guys know?

ps Dern, am I on first-name basis with these people?............
Elianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 05:50 PM   #25
Ashton
Animated Skeleton

Ashton has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

I love cameos also. Another interesting Cameo is that Andy Serkis (I think that is how his name is spelled *Blush) is the guy at the very end of RotK carrying the pumpkin. He is everywhere.

Another really cool thing is: You know the scene in TTT between the three orcs at the point where they stop beside Fangorn Forest with Merry and Pippin in Tow,
" We've only had moggotty bread for three stinkin' days."
"Yea, why can't we have some meats?"
" What about them, they're fresh."
(Not exactly word for word, but you get the point) Anyway, those voices are all done by Andy Serkis. He sure likes to talk to himself, doesn't he?

ps I only saw PJ as a corsair in RotK, anyone see him elsewhere?
Old 05-18-2004, 07:43 AM   #26
Elfchick7
Wight

Elfchick7 has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

If I am not mistaken, J. R. R. Tolkiens grandson had a cameo. I believe he was a Gondorian ranger who was riding out with Faramir to challenge the witchking.
Old 05-20-2004, 11:22 AM   #27
Ainaserkewen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ainaserkewen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ainaserkewen
Quote:
If I am not mistaken, J. R. R. Tolkiens grandson had a cameo. I believe he was a Gondorian ranger who was riding out with Faramir to challenge the witchking.
What! Do you mean Simon Tolkien? I recently read his first book. Top class, I enjoyed it.
chicken again tomorrow? Why am I
always eating chicken?
Ainaserkewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 11:42 AM   #28
samwisethebrave9

Pipe

WOW! I didn't even realize that they were the same kids! ha ha!
Old 01-18-2005, 10:08 AM   #29
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
I'm working my way through the commentaries on the RotK EE and have already heard the director's and authors' remarks. They mention several cameos in the third movie. Some of those have already been pointed out in the above posts, such as the fact that "Sam" and "Rosie" 's children are theirs, respectively, in real life. Also, Henry Mortensen (Viggo's son) plays in orc in the third film, the first one that Aragorn kills at the Pelennor Fields. And of course we all recognized the Jackson children in Gondor.

Royd Tolkien, J.R.R.'s grandson, plays a soldier of Gondor, the one giving out the spears at Osgiliath before the orcs attack from the river.

Howard Shore was cast for a cameo role in the drinking scene with the Rohirrim, but unfortunately what was filmed landed on the cutting room floor.

A number of crew members played extras and had fun doing it!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 04:38 AM   #30
Dragon Reborn
Pile O'Bones

Dragon Reborn has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien Wow

I had no idea that Tolkien actually had grandsons! Call me naive but I've never even thought of that before. I hadn't ever heard beyond Christopher Tolkien so this is news for me...
I would love to read the book by Simon one day.
Old 01-24-2005, 04:51 PM   #31
haltred
Pile O'Bones

haltred has just left Hobbiton.
Shield extras

I would not be suprised that most of the casts wives, husdbands and children were in the movies, given the number of people involved .And noi matter who was whom they all did an excel;lent job and gave believeable preformances
Old 01-25-2005, 04:24 PM   #32
Assasin
Wight

Assasin has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I usually hate it when producers kids get parts in a movie, but this time, I thought they were well placed. They are so cute! I also think they were best as the hobbit kids.