The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-13-2002, 01:11 AM   #1
Joy
Spirit of a Warrior

Joy has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Maiar

I have read LotR, the Hobbit, and now reading the Sil. When I read about the Maiar, I was wondering about Olorin being Gandalf. I vaugely remembered something in LotR, but forgot.
This quote just seemed so much like Gandalf:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The wisest of the Maiar was Olorin. He too dwelt in Lorien, but his ways took him often to the house of Nienna, and of her he learned pity and patience.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I remembered that Galadriel of Lorien wanted Gandalf to be the head of the White Counsil, also when the Fellowship came to Lorien, Galadriel said that she longed to see Gandalf again. One question left on this subject.

Was Melian Galadriel? It states that she dwelt in Lorien and also in Este. Would Este be Rivendell? - I think that I read that Estel means hope, Rivendell was where Estel Telcontar(Aragorn/Hope Strider) was reared.

Estel I haven't confused anyone [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]

As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God. My soul thirsteth for God, for the living God: when shall I come and appear before God?
Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2002, 01:51 AM   #2
Bruce MacCulloch
Dead Man of Dunharrow

Bruce MacCulloch has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Bruce MacCulloch
Ring

Yes, Olorin is Gandalf.
No, Galadriel is not Melian. You will see Galadriel in the Silmarillion if you keep reading.
Old 02-13-2002, 04:34 AM   #3
Niphredil Baggins
Wight

Niphredil Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Este and Lorien are places in Valinor, in the west. Rivendell and Lothlorien are completely different places in Middle-Earth. In LotR Gandalf says : 'Olorin was I in my youth in the west.'
Old 02-13-2002, 07:57 AM   #4
Elrian
Eldar Spirit of Truth

Elrian has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Este is a Vala, and the wife of Lorien (Irmo). Lorien in Valinor is the dwelling place of Lorien (Irmo), like Mandos is more well known by the name of his dwelling place than by the name Namo, so is Lorien. Melian had dwelt in Lorien and was the Maia of Este and Vana, she returned there at the end of the First Age.
I'll stick to Old Toby and a Hobbit hole.*~*
Elrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2002, 10:58 PM   #5
Joy
Spirit of a Warrior

Sting

I am still so new to this [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] I have only gotten 7 chapters into The Sil. It's fun but confussing.

Thank you all very much.

As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God. My soul thirsteth for God, for the living God: when shall I come and appear before God?
Old 02-15-2002, 12:32 AM   #6
Galahira-may

Pipe

I believe Good ole' Tom Bombadil is a Maia too.

*yet another useless post*
Old 02-15-2002, 12:42 AM   #7
Nazgūl Queen
Haunting Spirit

Nazgūl Queen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
Originally posted by Joy:
<STRONG>I am still so new to this [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] I have only gotten 7 chapters into The Sil. It's fun but confussing.</STRONG>
<center><font color="red">Personally, I find the Silmarillion interesting but boring.
Understand what I mean?

It tells of creation and the elves and Melkor and all that stuff that I always need to know more about... but it is more in the form of a history book than a novel, which makes it a somewhat boring read.

But its an extremely good book!

[img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] Morauko, Queen of the Nazgul! [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]

[ February 15, 2002: Message edited by: Nazgūl Queen ]
Old 02-15-2002, 08:41 PM   #8
Joy
Spirit of a Warrior

Sting

Actually I don't think that Tom was a Maiar, I believe that he is possibly Beorn. Nothing is spoken of him again outside of The Hobbit. Could Beorn have been one of the Valinor, thus making Tom Bombadil a Valinor?

I haven't read far into the Sil, but from what I have seen, there are only 9 Maiars. Maybe there are more, but are lesser in staute and power.

I hope that this makes sense.

Old 02-15-2002, 10:27 PM   #9
Bruce MacCulloch
Dead Man of Dunharrow

Bruce MacCulloch has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Bruce MacCulloch
Ring

Actually, Beorn is mentioned in Lord of the Rings. His descendants are spoken of by Gloin as still guarding the Carrock.
As to the number of Maiar, there are certainly more than just nine. The Silmarillion and other books make constant reference to them, with terms such as "the folk of {insert Vala here}" and also by naming them. Besides, there are more than nine Maia that are named, much less mentioned. {i.e., Ilmare, Eonwe, Osse, Uinen, Melian, Sauron, Olorin (Gandalf), Curumo (Saruman), Aiwendil (Radagast), Alatar, Pallando, Gothmog, and the rest of the Balrogs (be it 3,7 or thousands); and these are just some of the ones specifically mentioned}
Old 02-15-2002, 10:48 PM   #10
Joy
Spirit of a Warrior

Sting

Well, as you can see, I still have far to go in the knowledge of Tolkien. I guess I should go back and read LotR again. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-16-2002, 10:37 AM   #11
Aralaithiel
Ghost Eldaran Queen

Aralaithiel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

After you finish the Silmarillion, read Unfinished Tales, another good source for Maiar info. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-16-2002, 03:53 PM   #12
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Raefindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Raefindel
Sting

Read The Two Towers Page 329. That is where you learn Gandalf's many names. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-30-2003, 05:47 PM   #13
Novberaid
Animated Skeleton

Novberaid has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

I have read the Silmarillion several times and it seems that the Maiar were like the lesser Gods and there was a heirarchy within their own ranks. Some might have had more power or abilities than others. According to one source I found about the Istari. "Though the Istari came secretly and in humble form, they were mighty spirits. They were limited to the form of Men and the powers found within the mortal World."
Old 10-31-2003, 01:55 AM   #14
Earendilyon
Wight

Earendilyon has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Link to where you'll find an article by obloquy about Ainur, Maiar and the like.

Dominus Anulorum

TolkienGateway - large Tolkien encyclopedia.
Earendilyon is offline   Reply With Quote