The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2012, 09:03 AM   #1
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
TIG XCIII - Betrayal at Henneth Annûn (Game thread)

Ithilien was baking in the early summer afternoon sun. A brooding silence lay on the land, hardly a leaf stirring in the hot still air. The only sounds to be heard were an occasional soft rustling of cloth and, very rarely, a faint creaking of leather.

Pithwivion was crouching behind a laurel bush, his bow on his knee, arrow nocked. Next to him were Anborn and Lord Faramir, and on the young captain's other side Mablung and Damrod. Around and behind them, five score Rangers lay in cover, masked and hooded, their green and brown cloaks blending perfectly into the brushwood, bows at hand and waiting patiently.

Suddenly an owl hooted somewhere in the distance. An unusual sound at this time of day, but Pithwivion knew this was no coincidence.

"Our scouts have sighted their vanguard," he whispered to Lord Faramir. The captain nodded.

They kept watching the road, the long road that led up from the far South to the Morannon; the road on which more and more Haradrim came northwards these days, troup after troup of Southron soldiers in thrall to Sauron; they all went into Mordor, gathering for the onslaught on the free West that had to come sooner or later.
After a while a cloud of smoke appeared in the distance; approaching, it gradually dissolved into a long file of dark-skinned warriors in black, gold and scarlet, marching five abreast towards the Rangers' hiding spot.

"On my sign," said Faramir in a whisper that carried to the ears of the last Ranger in the last row. When the first ranks of Southerners had already passed them, he raised a hand. "Draw!" Five score and four Rangers rose like one man and drew their bowstrings tight. The hand fell. "Loose!"

A hail of arrows came down on the Haradrim, who fell dead by the dozens; the rest was for a moment too much surprised to take cover, and it looked like another volley or two would finish more than half of them before they could think of offering resistence. But all of a sudden the Ranger on the other side of Anborn gave a cry and fell forward with an arrow in his back, and then another and another one, and within a few heartbeats a dozen Rangers lay dead, struck down by black Orc arrows from behind.

Pithwivion whirled around and whipped out his sword just in time to parry a blow by an Orc scimitar that would have done for him. Hordes of Orcs were storming at them through the brushwood, big black Uruks of Mordor with longbows, swords and axes. And now the Southerners, having recovered from their surprise, hurried to join the fray from the other side.

"This is hopeless, my lord!" he shouted to Faramir. "They have us between hammer and anvil!"

Faramir, busy fending off an attacker himself, cried out: "Retreat! The day is lost! Retreat!" Anborn raised his horn and blew the retreat signal. They were hard pressed to win free of their thronging enemies, but at last they turned and ran.

This time, the Rangers of Ithilien had been outrangered.

IT IS THE DAY BEFORE NIGHT ONE. DO NOT POST ON THIS THREAD YET, PLEASE.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:01 PM   #2
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
When Pithwivion stepped behind the curtain of the waterfall and into the cavern of the Rangers' refuge, one of the last couple of Rangers to return to Henneth Annûn, Faramir was already waiting for him, his face grey with grief.

"Were you followed?" he inquired.

"Likely we were at first," Pithwivion replied, "but we took great pains to efface our trail, and I defy any Orc to follow a Ranger of Ithilien where he does not wish to be followed. Sneaky they may be, but their woodcraft is no match to ours. I do not think there is any danger of them finding this place."

"They had no difficulty finding us at the road," Faramir objected. Pithwivion shook his head.

"No, that they had not; but if it please my lord, I would fain speak my mind on that with no ears listening but yours and mine. For now, how many have we lost?"

"A score and a dozen; more than a third of our company, unless you think that any of us are still out there."

Pithwivion shrugged. "There may be, but if so, I doubt that any will win back to this place now." A third of their company. That was a devastating blow. "Are any of our scouts among the missing?"

"All but one." Faramir looked his lieutenant in the eye. "Why do you ask?"

"If we may talk undisturbed, my lord?"

Faramir nodded and directed him to a recess of the great cavern which served as the captain's private chamber. When they were as alone as could be managed in the cramped refuge, the young prince turned to Pithwivion and said, "You think we were betrayed."

"Aye, my lord, that is indeed my thought. Do not blame yourself for what happened today. There is no way a random band of marauding Orcs could have sneaked up on us and caught us in our own ambush by mere chance. They knew of our plan in advance and were waiting for us, just like we were waiting for the Haradrim."

"The missing scouts?" Faramir suggested. "Do you think they were caught and gave us away under torture?"

"That may be," Pithwivion conceded, "but my heart tells me the traitors are still among us, where they may wreak more havoc."

Faramir's face was grim, but he nodded. "That is what I would think, if it were to be conceived of that any Men of Gondor should fall so low as to go over to the Enemy, except under dire duress. You and I have fought side by side with these men for many years and trusted them with our lives any number of times; I cannot think that any of them would betray their comrades, unless perhaps coerced by some evil spell."

"Now you have named it, my lord. Spells the Enemy has many, and cunning arts of deception. Who knows? Some of the men in this hall may only wear the faces of our comrades of many years, but hide another spirit behind them."

Faramir pondered this a long while. At last, he looked up at Pithwivion with a gleam of decision in his eyes. "You may be right; at least we have to consider the possibility. I shall speak of this to the men in the morning. Tonight, I shall pray the Lords of the West for guidance in this matter. What I wish you to do in the meantime is talk to our companions and observe if any of them behave otherwise than they were wont to. You have known the men long and are well liked by them; they will not fear to speak their minds to you unless they have some sinister reason not to."

"Gladly, my lord," Pithwivion replied. Faramir gave him a curt nod.

"And triple the watches. If this refuge is lost to the Enemy, our war against him in this part of the land is over. Dismissed."

Mablung and Damrod had witnessed their captain's private conversation with Pithwivion from a distance, and although they had not been able to catch any of the words spoken, they had known both Faramir and his lieutenant long enough to be able to read some of the gist from their miens. At the time they had only exchanged a telling glance, but later that night, when the other Rangers had fallen asleep, Damrod nudged his brother in arms, whose cot was next to his, and whispered: "So what do you think of this?"

"The same as you," Mablung whispered back. "That the Orcs did not happen on us by chance, but there is treachery afoot; at least the captain and old Pitch both think so."

"That is indeed what I think. And have you noticed the way Pitch has been talking to all the men? Looking for clues, I dare say. We shall hear about this on the morrow, mark my word."

"And what would you say that we should do about it?"

"What we have always done, these long years. We two at least know we can trust each other. Watch thou my back, I shall watch thine. Let us speek our minds freely to each other, but be on our guard with the others until we know better who is true and who is false."

Mablung gave no answer, and none was needed. These two had fought back to back long enough to understand each other without many words.

IT IS NOW NIGHT 1. Black Númenóreans, start conspiring. Mablung and Damrod, you may talk in private. Faramir, send me your choice of dream. Everybody else, keep silent.

DEAD
Nobody yet.

ALIVE
Pitchwife (Mod)

Aganzir
A Little Green
Bom Tombadillo
Boromir88
Galadriel55
Glirdan
Inziladun
Loslote
Nogrod
Pomegranate
Rune Son of Bjarne
satansaloser2005
Shastanis Althreduin
Old 01-13-2012, 07:23 AM   #3
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Faramir son of Denethor slept uneasily that Night. After several hours of tossing and turning on his cot, he awoke from troubled dreams to a dream of awakening. It seemed to him that a bright, but mild light was shining through the curtain of the waterfall into the rock chamber, and a distant but clear voice spoke to him out of the light:

Trust not the face that is smiling -
Inside an enemy dwells,
Disguisèd and beguiling
By craft and Morgul spells;
But signs you shall be given
And truth you shall be shown:
In dreams the mask shall be riven
And the traitors shall be known.

"What you fear is true," the voice continued. "Three men of your company have been slain secretly, their bodies hidden, and replaced with servants of the Enemy. Men of your own race they are, but long seduced to the worship of Sauron: Black Númenóreans, disciples in the dark arts of the Necromancer. By sorcery they have been disguised in the likeness of your slain comrades, and their aim is to eradicate the Rangers of Ithilien, so that Sauron's servants may roam freely between Anduin and the Ephel Dúath. But do not despair! Your prayer has been heard, and you shall not be unaided in your need. Each Night you may ask for a dream about one of your comrades, and it shall be revealed to you whether that one be true or false. And by this you shall know that you have dreamt the truth: in death the glamour that is on them will fade, and their faces revert to their own features; and you will find each of them marked with the sign of the Lidless Eye."

Pithwivion had spent most of what was left of the evening talking with the other Rangers, as Lord Faramir had requested. All of them had been concerned and alarmed at the happenings of the day and the loss of so many comrades, and not a few had voiced suspicion of treachery; but none had stricken him as in mien or manner of speech unlike themselves. He realized it would not be easy to find the Enemy's spies this way.

After a few scant hours of sleep, he rose in the small hours of the Night when it was his turn to keep the watch and took his post on a high platform of rock overlooking the waterfall and the Forbidden Pool. The Ranger whom he relieved reported nothing amiss; apparently the Orcs had indeed lost their traces, and their refuge was still safe.

The Night was quiet and peaceful enough. There was no moon in the sky, but the stars shone clearly, their white light glittering on the water deep below him.

He had only sat there for about half an hour when suddenly he heard soft steps on the rock behind him, and turning round, he saw one of his comrades approaching him.

"What do you want?" Pithwivion demanded. "You should be sleeping; it is way too early for you to relieve me."

"Relieve you is indeed what we have come to do," said the other one. Two more figures appeared out of the dark and stepped up, one to each side of the first. "Relieve you of a task that lies too heavy on your shoulders."

"Did you think your nosing around would go unnoticed?" asked one of the newcomers in a mocking tone. "We thought we might better be rid of you before you become too much of a nuisance."

Pithwivion surged to his feet, his hand on the hilt of his sword. "It is you!" he cried. "You three are the spies of the Enemy!"

"Enemy only to those who oppose His rightful claim to rule all Middle-Earth," said the third. "The Great Eye looks kindly on those who bow to Him and worship Him. When our work here is done, He will reward us with riches beyond your wildest dreams."

Pithwivion drew his sword. The naked steel shone cold in the starlight. "Not while I am alive!"

"That can be amended," said the first with a sardonic smile and took a threatening step towards him. Pithwivion hewed at him, but the Black Númenórean lifted his hand and spoke a Word of Power that shattered the blade to splinters and made Pithwivion's tongue cleave to the roof of his mouth.

"And now," said the sorcerer, still smiling, "we shall see just how far we can push you."

The three moved closer and closer. Helpless and mute, Pithwivion retreated step by step until he stood on the brink of the flat rock. He couldn't even scream when they pushed him over and he fell, deep down to the jagged rocks in the shallow water...

IT IS STILL NIGHT 1. DO NOT POST HERE YET, PLEASE.

DEAD
Pitchwife (Mod) - pushed over the brink Night 1

ALIVE
Aganzir
A Little Green
Bom Tombadillo
Boromir88
Galadriel55
Glirdan
Inziladun
Loslote
Nogrod
Pomegranate
Rune Son of Bjarne
satansaloser2005
Shastanis Althreduin
Old 01-13-2012, 05:00 PM   #4
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Faramir was woken by Anborn in the early dawn.

"Come quickly, lord," the elder Ranger urged him breathlessly. "Evil is afoot!"

Anborn led him to a ledge of rock overlooking the pool and pointed downward. On the rocks near the shore of the Forbidden Pool lay the broken body of Pithwivion.

"I saw him lying down there when I came to relieve him and did not find him on his post," said Anborn. "I would say there is little chance he misstepped and fell by himself, my lord."

Faramir shook his head. "No, he did not. He knew every stick and stone around this place; he would not have slipped and fallen by mistake." His brow furrowed. "Rouse the men and have them bring his body up to the cavern. When you are done, come to me; I need to speak to you."

A little later, Anborn met Faramir in the captain's private chamber and reported that Pithwivion's corpse had been laid out in the great rock cavern.

"The men are very upset about this, my lord," he added. "Pithwivion was well beloved by many of them."

"They have every reason to be upset", said Faramir grimly. "Sit down and listen."

He told Anborn everything he and Pithwivion had talked about the evening before, and also about the vision that had come to him in his dream.

"If I had any doubt about it before, I see clearly now," he concluded. "There are indeed servants of the Enemy among us, and they will not shrink back from Nightly murder. This must not happen again, Anborn! You at least I know I can trust, for you have served long under me and always offered good advice; if a spy of Sauron can wear your mask well enough to deceive me, we are doomed anyway. Therefore I would ask this of you: that you mark well what goes on amongst our company, and try to guess as best you can whom the traitors would fain do away with; and every Night you shall stand guard next to him whom you think the Black Númenóreans would most likely slay next, and protect his life. Will you do that for me?"

"That I will, my lord," replied Anborn gravely, "and gladly."

Faramir nodded to him. "I thank you. Now assemble the men; I must speak to them."

When Faramir appeared before the gathered Rangers, his face was dark and stern as they had never seen it before.

"One or the other of you," he began, "may already have surmised that our encounter with the Orcs yesterday was no chance meeting. You are right. They knew where to find us, for there are servants of the Enemy among us spying for them." He proceeded to tell them what the voice in his dream had said to him. "If any of you would dismiss the vision I have been granted as a figment of my imagination, the Nightly murder of Pithwivion should be enough to make you think again. I will not suffer this, and neither should you! For now, we have a dead comrade to lay to rest; but when he has been buried, we shall all assemble here again, and none of us shall leave this refuge until this matter has been cleared up and the traitors have been exposed and put to death.

"This Day, and every following Day, we shall hold a trial and attempt as best we can to unmask the servants of Sauron, and those we deem most suspicious shall be executed. And I urge every one of you to speak your mind and not hold back; for those who will keep aloof and will not help us by sharing their opinions shall be held to be in league with the Enemy and will be dealt with harshly."

IT IS NOW DAY 1. Cease all private conversations and let the trial begin!

DEAD
Pitchwife (Mod) - pushed over the edge Night 1

ALIVE
Aganzir
A Little Green
Bom Tombadillo
Boromir88
Galadriel55
Glirdan
Inziladun
Loslote
Nogrod
Pomegranate
Rune Son of Bjarne
satansaloser2005
Shastanis Althredui
n
Old 01-13-2012, 05:11 PM   #5
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Let us now procede to burying our dear dead comrade and friend Pithwivion! May he find rest in the Halls of Mandos... oh wait, he's a Man. Never mind.

But let us all solemnly swear to avenge Pithwivion and aid our gallant Captain Faramir in finding and destroying the foul traitorous BNs! I shall be... no, I am the first to do so. Who's with me?
Old 01-13-2012, 05:23 PM   #6
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
But let us all solemnly swear to avenge Pithwivion and aid our gallant Captain Faramir in finding and destroying the foul traitorous BNs! I shall be... no, I am the first to do so. Who's with me?
I solemnly swear I am up to no good.

No.

Wait.

Wrong alignment.

Wrong fandom.

Wrong post.

Carry on.
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 05:39 PM   #7
Bom Tombadillo
Wight

Bom Tombadillo has just left Hobbiton.
Aw, pie. I got my times mixed up and will have rather less time to post around DL than I thought, so if my votes seem rushed/I lack information about things I should know you now know why.

I solemnly swear I am up to no Law, Good, or even Neutral. Chaotic Evil all the way!

Also, G55, Sally and I are wolves (first three posters, y'see). Lynch us now.
Old 01-13-2012, 05:41 PM   #8
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by satansaloser2005 View Post

No.

Wait.

Wrong alignment.

Wrong fandom.

Wrong post.

Carry on.

OK, so here's for some starters.

Agan is guilty of being the first on the list.
Bom is guilty of making jokes. When he starts making them.
Sally is up to no good.
Pomegranate is guilty of being a food.
Greenie is guilty of being green.
Glirdy and Lottie are guilty simply because it's Day 1.
The others are guilty of... well, something or other.
I am guilty of stupid silly posts.

Edit: xed with Bom. See, he admits it!
Old 01-13-2012, 05:46 PM   #9
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
All must stand together against this menace. The followers of evil must not triumph. I am with you indeed, and with all who would uphold the faith and vision of Elendil the Faithful.

Quote:

No.

Wait.

Wrong alignment.

Wrong fandom.

Wrong post.

Carry on.
What say you? Of strange matters you speak!

x/d with Bom and G55
Old 01-13-2012, 05:54 PM   #10
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Quote:
Agan is guilty of being the first on the list.
Bom is guilty of making jokes. When he starts making them.
Sally is up to no good.
Pomegranate is guilty of being a food.
Greenie is guilty of being green.
The others are guilty of... well, something or other.
I am guilty of stupid silly posts.

Edit: xed with Bom. See, he admits it!
I'm shockingly hurt by being thrown in as an "other," and just when I was considering lending my spade to bury our fallen comrade. But you can go find your own darn shovel.

You've gotten lazy in guilty accusations of randomness. I expected more.
Old 01-13-2012, 05:55 PM   #11
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Let me provide you with some entertainment while we look over evidence and decide on the culprits.

Edit: xed with Boro
Old 01-13-2012, 05:58 PM   #12
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88 View Post
I'm shockingly hurt by being thrown in as an "other," and just when I was considering lending my spade to bury our fallen comrade. But you can go find your own darn shovel.
Fine then - Boro is guilty of complaining.

Better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boro
You've gotten lazy in guilty accusations of randomness. I expected more.
I know, I know. My creativity's running low.

G55 is guilty of looking for excuses, blaming some "Creativity".
Old 01-13-2012, 06:02 PM   #13
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
G55 is guilty of looking for excuses, blaming some "Creativity".
And don't forget, "list-making".
Old 01-13-2012, 06:04 PM   #14
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
And don't forget, "list-making".
That much should be obvious.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:14 PM   #15
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
So far, we have all been ignoring the most pressing question, the question that will decide the fate of us all, that will haunt us until all enternity if unanswered -

What do we call Pomegranate?

I'm in favor of Meg or Nate, myself - Pom sounds too much like Bom, Gran is just no good, and Rana is too much like the spanish word for frog.

What say you all?

Now that that's out of the way, I won't actually be posting right now. I just had a spare moment and typed this up. I think I'll have time in four hours or so, and if not, tomorrow for sure.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:16 PM   #16
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Lottie, there are more important matters to discuss than the nomenclature of fruit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-13-2012, 06:32 PM   #17
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
That much should be obvious.
Add excessive use of smilies to the list of tell-tale suspicious signs. Are there any more you'd like to use, G55? I suppose, you break one you might as well break all.

Quote:
Lottie, there are more important matters to discuss than the nomenclature of fruit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I don't know, I'm seriously considering giving Lottie a "won't vote for her" pass on Day 1, because that was brilliant, and kinda funny...mostly brilliant.

I wish I could use smilies in this post, but G55 ruined that.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:44 PM   #18
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Add excessive use of smilies to the list of tell-tale suspicious signs. Are there any more you'd like to use, G55? I suppose, you break one you might as well break all.
I feel like revealing wolf just to annoy you, but that just won't do since there are no wolves in this game.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:54 PM   #19
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Quote:
I feel like revealing wolf just to annoy you, but that just won't do since there are no wolves in this game.
I suppose I should be grateful for your consideration of my mental health.
Old 01-13-2012, 07:00 PM   #20
Pomegranate
Wight

Pomegranate is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
This is serious business we're facing here, and my contribution shall be among the efforts of all of us true Rangers. There is an important point to make, which is that G55 made a list including some of us and excluding the others (and no, it's not even completely just the first ones on the list). This obviously shows her alliance to those left out, which should raise suspicion. Boro, Inziladun, Nogrod, Rune and Shastanis were left out. Boro started complaining about this - bluff? Was he afraid that this omission would be used as evidence? But it won't work, dear Boro. We can read you. On the other hand, is G55 stupid enough to leave us this clue?

That is, let's get paranoid.

And to the inferior matters, hence Pom indeed does clash with an existing abbreviation, I'm happy with Nate. I'm learning yours as they emerge in the game

edit. Learning to use the boldings.

Last edited by Pomegranate; 01-13-2012 at 07:05 PM.
Pomegranate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 07:05 PM   #21
Bom Tombadillo
Wight

Quote:
Indeed.

--Loslote

Also ~~Loslote, ==Loslote, and <><>Loslote.

That'll teach her not to act on the mountain of evidence on Day 1!

EDIT: X'd with Nate Ford.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:36 PM   #22
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomegranate View Post
This is serious business we're facing here, and my contribution shall be among the efforts of all of us true Rangers. There is an important point to make, which is that G55 made a list including some of us and excluding the others (and no, it's not even completely just the first ones on the list). This obviously shows her alliance to those left out, which should raise suspicion. Boro, Inziladun, Nogrod, Rune and Shastanis were left out. Boro started complaining about this - bluff? Was he afraid that this omission would be used as evidence? But it won't work, dear Boro. We can read you. On the other hand, is G55 stupid enough to leave us this clue?

That is, let's get paranoid.
No, not paranoid. Silly.

Seriously, if there was one serious word in that suspicion list I'm a better singer than Luthien. Same goes for all the joking to follow.

It's almost a tradition for someone to make joke-suspicion lists on the "morning" of Day 1, just for laughs. It's fun. And yes, I was lazy this time, so I didn't make one for everyone. And if I wouldn't have made it, someone else probably would have.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:51 PM   #23
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
I suppose I should be grateful for your consideration of my mental health.
You're very welcome.

On the topic of naming Pomegranate, since we say the word more like pomagranit, Meg and Nate simply won't serve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lottie
Rana is too much like the spanish word for frog.
But Elvish for Wanderer (a name for the moon).

I think we should let Pomegranate choose her own nick, at least her first one. We'll make others up if we don't like it. :P

Last edited by Galadriel55; 01-13-2012 at 08:52 PM. Reason: spelling/typos
Galadriel55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 09:54 PM   #24
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
Quote:
Originally Posted by G55
Well in that case...
--GlirdanMight as well start the bandwagon myself if that's the way I'm gonna go .

Or better yet

--Vanilwamuffin because she's not playin the game (and if you're reading this my bestie, I do it out of love <3)
Old 01-13-2012, 10:06 PM   #25
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

You got me all excited that Muffin was playing, and then I realized she's not.

-|- -|- Glirdan for being a meanie face

And now I'm going to bed. I leave you with the following instructions....

*Don't lynch me. I'm innocent and I don't want to die, at least not this early.
*Be gentle with the fresh fruit. We don't want to bruise him/her so early in the game.
*Lynch Phantom if you can.
*Villains, please identify yourselves. It'll make all our lives a little easier.
*Gifteds, tell me all your blessed secrets.
*Pitchwife, please don't modfire the lot of us for all our phalse votes.
*Somebody make me some ruddy pancakes. I'm starving.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:49 PM   #26
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
*Somebody make me some ruddy pancakes. I'm starving.
What? Not cupcakes?
Old 01-13-2012, 11:22 PM   #27
Bom Tombadillo
Wight

That's the second time in a row it's told me to spread some reputation around before repping sally again. I don't remember having repped her in the first place.

Next poster, don't forget the . Let's see how long we can keep the chain going.
Old 01-14-2012, 02:33 AM   #28
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
So sorry, but they call me "Chain-Breaker" back home.

Deal with it.

(No, I didn't just now realize it was Day 1, shut up.)
Shasta– ... However, if he's innocent his famous clairvoyant powers must be taking the week off. Meanwhile, the Night-kills have been awfully effective– almost like we're dealing with a psychic wolf... - Nerwen, WW LXXV
Shastanis Althreduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 05:29 AM   #29
Pomegranate
Wight

Pomegranate is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Seriously, if there was one serious word in that suspicion list I'm a better singer than Luthien.
Serious, was somebody talking serious? I mean, OF COURSE you were revealing all the important information in your first post So don't worry, I didn't catch you, just yet anyway. Just contributing to the first-day mess.

I'll join the pancake party.
Old 01-14-2012, 06:27 AM   #30
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Who will make an analysis based on how people use emoticons?

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 07:25 AM   #31
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

I'm also probably giving Shasta a "won't vote for" endorsement on Day 1, for the best Day 1 post I can remember reading. I don't remember a lot of Day 1 posting, but I won't forget that...they call me "Chain-breaker" at home...heh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune Son of Bjarne View Post
Sounds like you really want the job Rune.
Old 01-14-2012, 08:02 AM   #32
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I am here. I also promised Greenie to behave myself this time around. Let's see how long I can keep it up.

It's no wonder the Orcs ambushed us if this is what the Rangers of Ithilien have come to.

GUILTY
Bom. Chaotic Evil doesn't sit well with defending the Realm of Men from the threat of Mordor.
Boromir88. Puts a personal grudge ahead of giving Pithwivion a respectable burial.
Galadriel55. Says Bom is guilty of making jokes when he starts making them. Does this mean she didn't take it as a joke when he said he's wolves with her and sally? Encouraged by Boro, she takes her guilty accusations of randomness entirely too far.
Greenie. She's in the other wolf pack.

INNOCENT
Inziladun. A little pompous, shall we say? We can only hope he's pompous in an "I'm an old Ranger" sort of way instead of "I try to act true so you don't lynch me"! In any case, I won't vote for him because he died too early last time and I want to unnerve him for a little while longer in this game.
Pomegranate. Contrary to what G55 suggested (jumpy are we?), I don't believe her first post was entirely serious. Not voting for her either because it's her fist game and all.

EITHER
Glirdan. Nothing to say.
Loslote. The most important thing about the game is Pomegranate's nick. Yeaah.
Nogrod. I might be willing to place my trust in him once he's here and leads the discussion to more serious waters.
Rune. Nothing to say.
sally. Swears she's up to no good. Since there's no cobbler in this game, it's more or less irrelevant.
Shasta. Nothing to say.

If I had to vote right now, I'd be willing to go for one of those who have been posting mock votes. Namely Bom, Glirdan or sally.
Old 01-14-2012, 08:35 AM   #33
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Introducing the grumpy Finns, Part 2.

Faramir acts like a ranger, Pitwivion did so... but what has happened to all the rest of you? Have the evil servants made a spell and turned everyone into toddlers in a sandbox so that they can hide more easily behind the veil of sallyness... erm... silliness?

Kudos to Nate for at least trying.

Heh. Complaining, but not doing anything myself? Admitted.

Sorry. I'm in a hurry right now but I should be able to hang around later toDay - and as it is Saturday I can hang around until the end then.
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 08:38 AM   #34
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir View Post
If I had to vote right now, I'd be willing to go for one of those who have been posting mock votes. Namely Bom, Glirdan or sally.
What harm is there in mock votes? Looks like an easy "let me hook on to an idea to cast an quick 'n easy Day 1 vote" thing that a wolf...erm BN...would do. Granted it's early and there has been quite a lot of silliness, well mostly silliness.

You haven't seen Red Riding Hood by chance? I mean the movie recently made on it, not the lost-in-woods-girl. Terrible movie I'll say, but definitely worth it just for Gary Oldman. The entire cast is over-acting, but they're so serious with it, as if attempting to not realize they're in a terrible movie. Gary Oldman on the other hand, also clearly over-acts, but he has so much fun with it...it's like he know it's a crappy movie, maybe wonders why he agreed to it, but will still have fun with it! It's marvelously Shakespearean.

Anyway, my goal in this crew is to be the Gary Oldman as seen in Red Riding Hood. Have some fun with it, possibly be dramatically over-acting, but key point being, one rockin' bad wolf...erm BN...finder. It probably doesn't help if no one's seen it...wouldn't blame them, because crap movie, but seriously Oldman makes it worth watching.

That's my goal at least. And I will get right on it after breakfast (no 2nd breakfast, but perhaps afternoon tea...mmm)

Edit: Crossed with Nog.
Old 01-14-2012, 09:11 AM   #35
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Galadriel55. Says Bom is guilty of making jokes when he starts making them. Does this mean she didn't take it as a joke when he said he's wolves with her and sally?
I xed with him. I said so in my post.

Joking aside, an honest attempt at a summary. Joking/IC not included. (Gonna be a real short one)

Nate jokingly accuses me, but I don't get it, so I reply in all earnesty. Misunderstanding settled.

Agan - wants to vote Bom, Glirdan, or Sally for mock-voting. (was that serious, or just a continuation of the semi-silly suspicion post?)

Boro questions Agan about her decision, calling it an think a BN would do. Doesn't put much stock in this, since it's early in D1 and mostly silliness. Says that he will have an "Oldman style" aka having fun and over-acting.

G55 makes a summary.

Is that it? Well, at least you can say that I did one useful thing so far.
Old 01-14-2012, 09:31 AM   #36
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Quote:
Boro questions Agan about her decision, calling it an think a BN would do. Doesn't put much stock in this, since it's early in D1 and mostly silliness. Says that he will have an "Oldman style" aka having fun and over-acting
For posterity...I actually do put stock in my comment to Agan, otherwise I wouldn't have said it. The "It's D1 and mostly silliness" was me trying to anticipate the normal Day 1 response. "Oh it's D1 and people are acting loony, wouldn't YOU vote the same if you didn't have any good ideas?"

So, yes, in sincerity I do suspect Agan...rather strongly too I might add. "If I had to vote right now, I'd be willing to go for one of those who have been posting mock votes," is a part of it, but not all. I'm waiting to see if anyone else caught the classic BN trick that Agan has attempted in her first post.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:04 AM   #37
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Hmm, after all that time this is what I return to?

Quote:
On the topic of naming Pomegranate, since we say the word more like pomagranit, Meg and Nate simply won't serve.
Well, (s)he(?) has said Nate was acceptable. What else is there? Rock (granate=granite)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune Son of Bjarne View Post
People use them for different reasons. I would say some among us are probably naturally irrepressible (*glances about*), and just can't help themselves.
Others could utilize them as filler in lieu of substance, though.

Quote:
So, yes, in sincerity I do suspect Agan...rather strongly too I might add. "If I had to vote right now, I'd be willing to go for one of those who have been posting mock votes," is a part of it, but not all. I'm waiting to see if anyone else caught the classic BN trick that Agan has attempted in her first post.
I'm actually all right with Agan, though she did call me "pompous". What can I say? We must all play with our strengths.
Seriously though, I didn't get any alarm bells from that.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:10 AM   #38
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
Faramir acts like a ranger, Pitwivion did so... but what has happened to all the rest of you?
I am upset. I was trying to be serious. More or less.

Quote:
What harm is there in mock votes? Looks like an easy "let me hook on to an idea to cast an quick 'n easy Day 1 vote" thing that a wolf...erm BN...would do. Granted it's early and there has been quite a lot of silliness, well mostly silliness.
None per se apart from being annoying, and my saying so reflects the lack of general content rather than their harmfulness. Anyway I dare to hope you know me better than to say I would take the quick & easy way as a BN.

Quote:
Gary Oldman on the other hand, also clearly over-acts, but he has so much fun with it...it's like he know it's a crappy movie, maybe wonders why he agreed to it, but will still have fun with it!
Are you comparing Pitch's game to a crappy movie? And yeah I've seen it, friends wanted to watch it and I agreed because I had never before seen the Irons boy in action.

Quote:
I xed with him. I said so in my post.
Whoops. I didn't see it. And I had such a fine point!

Quote:
Originally Posted by G55
Agan - wants to vote Bom, Glirdan, or Sally for mock-voting. (was that serious, or just a continuation of the semi-silly suspicion post?)
Serious enough in the sense that if I had had to vote then, it's likely I would've based my vote on them. Also if I had had to vote then, there wouldn't have been anything more serious.

Quote:
I'm waiting to see if anyone else caught the classic BN trick that Agan has attempted in her first post.
I didn't. Pray tell.

Now I know Boro is Boro and does all weird kinds of stuff on Day 1, but I don't know what to make of his attack against me. He should know I'm not one to try and do classic BN tricks in my first post (emphasis on 'try' - either I pull them off properly, or don't do them at all). So who's the one looking for an easy prey? However I'll be around to finish the dance later because a friend just came over and is making impatient noises in the kitchen.

Last edited by Aganzir; 01-14-2012 at 10:11 AM. Reason: xed with Inzil
Aganzir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 10:24 AM   #39
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
I noticed no BN trick, and I found her post half-joking. Who would legitimately suspect a person for this:

Quote:
Bom. Chaotic Evil doesn't sit well with defending the Realm of Men from the threat of Mordor.
Or this:

Quote:
Boromir88. Puts a personal grudge ahead of giving Pithwivion a respectable burial.
???

And you say you strongly suspect her... what's there to suspect for? I understand the mock vote accusation, but what BN/wolf trick? I don't even see her accusations being too serious!

Edit: xed with Agan herself. (I wrote this post and then left the computer for about 10 minutes before clicking the post button. )
Old 01-14-2012, 10:33 AM   #40
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Serious enough in the sense that if I had had to vote then, it's likely I would've based my vote on them. Also if I had had to vote then, there wouldn't have been anything more serious.
You weren't serious in the list, though. Not entirely, right? Right?

Right now I'm thinking if wolf!Agan would really do the "classic BN trick", or if wolf!Boro would really come this way at an innocent (strongly suspecting someone based on... what exactly?). Somehow I don't see either happening.

Explanations please!