The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Quiz Room
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2004, 02:06 AM   #241
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Both couples had to wait three years to be officially engaged, since their respective parents/guardian thought them too young for that commitment.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 02:35 AM   #242
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Silmaril Perilous love ?

Quite right, Esty. A bit fascinating, isn't it? And now, for your next question ...
Old 05-10-2004, 06:27 AM   #243
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Who wrote this brief book report on The Hobbit and what happened as a result?
Quote:
Bilbo Baggins was a hobbit who lived in his hobbit-hole and never went for adventures, at last Gandalf the wizard and his dwarves perswaded [sic] him to go. He had a very exciting time fighting goblins and wargs, at last they got to the lonley [sic] mountain; Smaug, the dragon who gawreds [sic] it is killed and after a terrific battle with the goblins he returned home - rich! This book, with the help of maps, does not need any illustrations it is good and should appeal to all children between the ages of 5 and 9.
(Bb, that is an interesting comparison - I'd never noticed it before!)
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 05-10-2004, 06:58 AM   #244
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Eye

At a guess, I'd say that the review was by Stanley Unwin's son Rayner, and that the Hobbit was published by Unwin in consequence of it.
Old 05-10-2004, 07:02 AM   #245
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Great guess, Saucy! You're right, of course - as a matter of fact, he even got paid one shilling for that report. Wouldn't we like to get paid for reading good books!

You have the floor...
Old 05-10-2004, 07:24 PM   #246
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Question

Most kind, my Lady.

Which London publisher narrowly missed the opportunity of publishing Lord of the Rings, how did they come to have that opportunity, and why were they deprived of it?
Old 05-10-2004, 07:30 PM   #247
Olorin_TLA
Shade of Carn Dűm

Olorin_TLA has just left Hobbiton.
Collins, because Allen & Unwin couldn't publish the Silmarillion and LotR in one; Collins said they were interested in doing so, but it never happened, and so A&U published in the end.

ELENDIL! - Join "Forth Tolkiengas!"
Olorin_TLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 02:41 AM   #248
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Thumbs up

Yes, Allen & Unwin were reluctant to publish the Silm as well as LotR and Collins expressed an interest in publishing both. Then they had cold feet and Tolkien lost patience with them, returning to Allen & Unwin to have LotR published on the basis that one was better than none.

So, the thread is your Olorin_TLA.
Old 05-13-2004, 11:41 AM   #249
Olorin_TLA
Shade of Carn Dűm

Kind of tragic one...

When CS Lewis passed away, how did Tolkien descibe it, compared to other misfortunes in his life?

Old 05-13-2004, 12:30 PM   #250
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Olorin_TLA,

Do you mean this quote from his letter to his daughter Priscilla concerning th death of Lewis?

"So far I have felt the normal feelings of a man of my age---like an old tree that is losingall its leaves one by one; this feels like an axe-blow near the roots."

~Child
Old 05-13-2004, 12:31 PM   #251
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

He wrote to his daughter Priscilla after Lewis' death:
Quote:
So far I have felt the normal feelings of a man of my age - like an old tree that is losing all its leaves one by one: this feels like an axe-blow near the roots.
That's a very touching picture that shows that the friendship still meant much to him.

edit: Darn, Sharon - you beat me to it by one minute!
Old 05-13-2004, 02:28 PM   #252
Olorin_TLA
Shade of Carn Dűm

Ah, sorry Estelyn, but Child (long time no see) has it!

Yeah, that's always been a touching comment to me, especially considering how they'd drifted apart over the years.

Old 05-14-2004, 10:37 AM   #253
Child of the 7th Age

Like other Hobbits, my specialty is 'slinking in' the back way!

Now, on to business....

Who said this?

Quote:
I think that Tom Bombadil would make quite a good story, but as The Hobbit has already been very successful I think the story of Old Took's great grand-uncle, Bullroarer, who rode a horse and charged the goblins of Mount Gram in the battle of the Green Fields and knocked King Golfimbil's (sic) head off with a wooden club would be even better. The story could be a continuation of The Hobbit , for Bilbo could tell it to Gandlf and Balin in his hobbit hole when they visited him.
Old 05-14-2004, 10:57 AM   #254
Olorin_TLA
Shade of Carn Dűm

Tolkien's aunt?

Old 05-14-2004, 11:02 AM   #255
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Sounds like Rayner Unwin to me...
Old 05-14-2004, 12:37 PM   #256
Child of the 7th Age

Ooh, Esty! You are sooo close, but not quite right.
Old 05-14-2004, 01:24 PM   #257
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Sir Stanley Unwin then?
Old 05-14-2004, 01:37 PM   #258
Child of the 7th Age

No.....think small
Old 05-14-2004, 01:57 PM   #259
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Hmmmmm, I'm still paging through both the biography and Letters with no success in finding the quote yet, so I'll venture another guess - Christopher?
Old 05-14-2004, 02:50 PM   #260
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

White Tree

Well, according to Carpenter, the 'Hobbit' review was written by Rayner Unwin...
Old 05-14-2004, 02:55 PM   #261
Child of the 7th Age

Esty,

Me BIG goof! You are so fast in replying. I just erased my last post when I realized my error. I must be going bonkers. When I looked at your first post, I swore it said his father Stanley. As I ran out to carpool, I glanced at your second post, saw Stanley, and thought "that's not right either!"

Yes, I know your first post didn't say that! How could I goof so badly? I am very sorry to put you through that work. It is Rayner and the floor is yours....

A confused Child
Old 05-14-2004, 03:02 PM   #262
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

White Tree

That's OK - it's nice to know that I recognized Rayner's style even though I did not have access to that quote! New question then: What is Tolkien touching on the last photograph taken of him? (...so typical!)

And by the way, I find it interesting to get tidbits of information from other books - no need to limit ourselves as long as the question is not so difficult that a guess isn't possible.
Old 05-15-2004, 11:10 AM   #263
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots Going out on a limb here

An oak tree? It was some kind of tree. Not an Ent though.
Old 05-15-2004, 11:29 AM   #264
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

White Tree

Tree is right, Bęthberry - the picture, taken on August 9, 1973, is in Carpenter's biography and shows him standing next to one of his favourite trees, a Pinus Nigra, in the Botanic Gardens, Oxford.
Old 05-15-2004, 07:27 PM   #265
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots Hwćt!

I wonder if that tree still stands. Perhaps, if I do make a sidetrip to Oxford this summer, I should look for it and take a photograph of it.

But now for another challenge:

What famous poet remarked that hearing Tolkien read Beowulf in class was akin to hearing Gandalf read?
Old 05-19-2004, 02:52 AM   #266
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Eye

That would be WH Auden, who wrote:

Quote:
What an unforgettable experience it was for me as an undergraduate, hearing you recite Beowulf. The voice was the voice of Gandalf.
Old 05-19-2004, 08:37 AM   #267
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots

Right you are, Sauce. I like the idea of that personal connection, the great fantasy writer teaching the one-day-to-be great modern poet. "Only connect" Auden said, I think. I wonder what kinds of reflections Tolkien's other students had.

And so, the floor is yours.... Make as much noise as you like with your question.
Old 05-19-2004, 08:51 AM   #268
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Question

Yes and I think that in one of the later Letters, JRRT refers to Auden as one of his great friends, despite them having only actually met on a few occasions. It would seem that their friendship blossomed through correspondence.

Thanks Bb. Next up, and staying on the WH Auden theme:

In what way did WH Auden expose Tolkien to ridicule and cause him and, in particular, Edith much embarassment?
Old 05-19-2004, 09:13 AM   #269
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

White Tree

By saying:
Quote:
He lives in a hideous house - I cannot tell you how hideous, with hideous pictures.
...publicly at a meeting of the Tolkien Society, as later reported in a London newspaper. Since he had only been in Edith's room for tea, that remark was not particularly flattering and also not true. The house was simply ordinary - something Auden hadn't expected of so extraordinary a person as Tolkien.
Old 05-19-2004, 09:22 AM   #270
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Thumbs up

Spot on!

It would seem that JRRT forgave him his indiscretion, though.

Well done Esty, you're up next.
Old 05-19-2004, 11:20 AM   #271
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

White Tree

At JRR and Edith Tolkien's Golden Wedding Anniversary, a special musical performance was one of the highlights. What was sung and by whom?
Old 05-19-2004, 12:24 PM   #272
Child of the 7th Age

I believe that would be a performance of Tolkien's song cycle The Road Goes Ever On. The composer Donald Swann was at the piano and a gentleman appropiately named William Elvin sang the songs.

That took place in 1966 at Merton College.
Old 05-19-2004, 12:25 PM   #273
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

White Tree

That's right, Child - and a-one, a-two... - take it away!
Old 05-19-2004, 12:31 PM   #274
Child of the 7th Age

That was fast! Let's see....

What was the only clear memory of his father that JRRT retained?

Last edited by Child of the 7th Age; 05-20-2004 at 07:12 PM.
Child of the 7th Age is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 06:23 PM   #275
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots Arthur Tolkien

If I am correct, Child, it is a poignant memory of departure, loss, of the way words substitute for real experience.

Tolkien's mother undertook a journey, when her eldest son was about three or four, to England, for the sake of his health. Tolkien remembered seeing his father paint his name on the lid of a trunk as preparation for that journey.
Old 05-21-2004, 06:50 PM   #276
Child of the 7th Age

Mistress Bethberry,

Just so! The floor is yours.

~Child

Last edited by Child of the 7th Age; 05-22-2004 at 09:36 AM.
Child of the 7th Age is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2004, 04:10 PM   #277
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots

Thank you, Mother Cami.

Well, here's a topic less literary and more pecuniary, although perhaps a bit obscure. Still, I think, it tells us something about the man.

Tolkien refused his University pension. Why, or, what did he do instead?
*dances off on that floor... in the best imitation of Tom*
Old 05-23-2004, 10:46 AM   #278
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

White Tree

Obscure indeed - I've been searching in both the biography and the letters, unsuccessfully so far. Did it have something to do with the Merton fellowship? Some vague memory lurks at the back of my mind... Or was it because of his book earnings, which already put his taxes at a high level?
Old 05-23-2004, 11:12 AM   #279
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots Tolkien's generosity

Oh dear! I had hoped not to be that obscure. Where is Squatter and his great familliarity with the Letters?

The answer can be found in a letter in which Tolkien urges someone to accept a gift he sent in the form of a cheque. The letter would, of course, have been written after he retired from Oxford.

In this letter, Tolkien also talks about the progress of a certain book of poems, which was being illustrated by someone whose work he greatly admired.
Old 05-23-2004, 11:50 AM   #280
Son of Númenor
A Shade of Westernesse

Son of Númenor has just left Hobbiton.
"I receive as a septuagenarian a retirement pension, of which I feel it proper to give away at least what the Tax collectors leave in my hands (a National one, I mean: I refused the University pension, and took the lump sum and invested it in a trust managed by my bank) (Letters - 238)."
Quote:
*dances off on that floor... in the best imitation of Tom*
Heheh. That hint was a bit subtle.
"This miserable drizzling afternoon I have been reading up old military lecture-notes again:- and getting bored with them after an hour and a half. I have done some touches to my nonsense fairy language - to its improvement."
Son of Númenor is offline   Reply With Quote