The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-05-2003, 07:30 PM   #1
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril Ladders

In the Two Towers the movie, during Helms Deep, Aragorn shouts in elvish "Ladders" and Gimli is seen replying "Good." How did he understand the elvish? We've already been told in Lothlorien on the Extended DVD that Gimli dosn't understand the language. I though maybe some people were saying "Ladders" in english but I didn't hear anyone. Is this a little blooper?
Old 09-05-2003, 07:39 PM   #2
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I think there's another spot were this is addressed, but since I don't know where it is, here' smy explaination:<P> I do think it's a blooper. There's a theory that Legolas may have taught Gimli some elvish (unlikly), but why would he teach him the elvish word for 'ladders'?
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2003, 07:28 AM   #3
Finnguala
Wight

Finnguala has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yup, I noticed that too. But it's all very confusing! Legolas said something about aiming at the Uruks necks, but I don't think anyone heard it, because he spoke VERY soft.<BR>And Aragorn screaming orders in Elvish and a few minutes later in the common language...
Old 09-06-2003, 07:55 AM   #4
dancing spawn of ungoliant
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
dancing spawn of ungoliant has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to dancing spawn of ungoliant
Sting

But it is good that Aragorn gives orders in two languanges since all the rohirrim can't understand elvish.
Old 09-06-2003, 12:02 PM   #5
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>But it is good that Aragorn gives orders in two languanges since all the rohirrim can't understand elvish.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> True, but as far as I could tell, the elves were with Aragorn & the Rohirrim were with Theoden. So that shouldn't be the reason for it.
Old 09-06-2003, 04:58 PM   #6
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Evisse the Blue has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Yahoo to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Skype™ to Evisse the Blue
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Legolas said something about aiming at the Uruks necks, but I don't think anyone heard it, because he spoke VERY soft <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Maybe he was actually speaking in Ossanwe-Kenta (sp?), telepathy that is, with his fellow Elves and he was actually 'thinking aloud' . well, a theory...
Old 09-06-2003, 05:22 PM   #7
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

I think he was more saying it to the elves that were around him. Perhaps it would seem to forward to shout stuff to all of the other elves, since he's not their commander. I don't know about that last bit, but I think he was saying it more to those around him than anything. <P><BR><B>EDIT</B> Happy 600th post day to me <p>[ September 06, 2003: Message edited by: The Only Real Estel ]
Old 09-06-2003, 06:18 PM   #8
Phrim
Haunting Spirit

Phrim has just left Hobbiton.
Question

My guess is Gimli was just reading the subtitles like everyone else.<P>
Phrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2003, 10:48 PM   #9
Angadraug
Animated Skeleton

Angadraug has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Or maybe Gimli just knows elvish. When the elves and dwarves were friendly with eachother they spoke eachothers languages all the time. The walls to Moria in the FOTR the password was the Elvish word for friend. So maybe as tradition they all are taught how to speak the language, either to hold conversations with them or just to make fun of them in their own language.
Angadraug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2003, 09:16 AM   #10
Elentári
Wight

Elentári has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Er...no they didn't, because the Dwarves never taught their own language to anyone else, did they?<BR>Yes, maybe he had a little TV screen in his prosthetics and read the subtitles...hehehe
Old 09-10-2003, 04:54 AM   #11
Finnguala
Wight

Finnguala has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I think he was more saying it to the elves that were around him. Perhaps it would seem to forward to shout stuff to all of the other elves, since he's not their commander. I don't know about that last bit, but I think he was saying it more to those around him than anything. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>But what's the point of saying that, if only a few Elves can hear it?!! Ah... you know what.... I DON'T KNOW!! <P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Yes, maybe he had a little TV screen in his prosthetics and read the subtitles...hehehe<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>*Lol* But of course! How silly of me! I might have know! <p>[ September 10, 2003: Message edited by: Finnguala ]
Old 09-11-2003, 07:52 AM   #12
dancing spawn of ungoliant
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
dancing spawn of ungoliant has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to dancing spawn of ungoliant
Sting

Maybe even Legolas was a bit nervous due to the battle and he reminded himself where to shoot the arrows...oh well, this is just speculation.
Old 09-11-2003, 09:35 AM   #13
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>But what's the point of saying that, if only a few Elves can hear it?!!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Good question. I guess telling it to about 10 archers is better than none. & remember, elves have really good ears, so more of them could've heard Legolas then we think.