The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2002, 12:47 AM   #1
Joy
Spirit of a Warrior

Joy has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Question - Silm and BoLT2

I am reading the Tale of Tinùviel in each book that it is mentioned in together.

I have noticed some seeming descripancies.

One is Tinùviel's mother. The Sil calls her Melian yet BoLT2 calls her Gwendeling and her father Tinwë Linto. I can see the change from Quenya to Sindarian for Tinwë Linto to Thingol though.

Another question is about Angamandi. Is this Angband? Also, Is Angband the same place as Angmar?

As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God. My soul thirsteth for God, for the living God: when shall I come and appear before God?
Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2002, 06:29 AM   #2
Amarinth
Wight

Amarinth has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

hi joy! i can only answer the last question: they're not. off my head, and pretty sure no need for me to explain but will [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img], angmar is the witch-realm which the lord of the nazgul, one of the nine, originally reigned. angmar was joined by rhudaur to destroy cardolan and arthedain, the last three the divisions of the original kingdom of arnor. it doesn't come into being until the third age. angband is different-- it's the stronghold of morgoth and has lots of pits where thralls and captives are tortured and imprisoned. it was destro--oops! i think i'll stop here.

---------------------------------------------
every man's life is a path to the truth -- hesse
Old 03-26-2002, 10:39 AM   #3
Voronwe
Shade of Carn Dûm

Voronwe has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The stories in Lost Tales are the very earliest drafts of what later grew into the Silmarillion. Tolkien changed at lot of things before he wrote the version that was published in the Silmarillion - and not just names; in some cases entire plots were completely reworked. For example, Sauron's predecessor in the Tale of Tinuviel was a cat!.
Old 03-26-2002, 10:43 AM   #4
Sharkû
Hungry Ghoul

Sharkû has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Reading CJRT's annotations and commentaries solves all those problems nicely, btw.
Sharkû is offline   Reply With Quote