The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-14-2006, 09:23 AM   #161
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

++ Ar-Pharazon

This show is in some desperate need of some ego trimming.
Old 08-14-2006, 09:24 AM   #162
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
I've decided to vote today:

++the Bullroarer

Down with golf!

The votes so far :

Bullroarer - 3
Tar-Miriel - 1
Princess Pam - 3
Alf - 1
Ar-Pharazon - 4

Quote:
EH! I missed voting off Manwe because of this slip-slidin' deadline thingy. I arrived at 1:45 ready to do my usual hatchet job and da case was closed! It's kinda hard to prophesise when an early post is needed when you aren't online 24/7. Well, at least I must thank Boro, Firefoot, and Kuru for doing it for me.
I'm very sorry Bethberry. When I decided on a time to start and end the day I thought 2 would be the best time for me, but things keep happening that mess it up. Half the time it's things I never planned on. Sorry that it's keeping you from voting.
Old 08-14-2006, 09:56 AM   #163
The Elf-warrior
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The Elf-warrior is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via Skype™ to The Elf-warrior
++Ar-Pharazon

He tried to invade Valinor. That was not only wrong, it was also foolish.
Old 08-14-2006, 10:02 AM   #164
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tuor in Gondolin has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Yahoo to Tuor in Gondolin
Despite Bullroarer's heroics defending the Shire
one can't ignore his role in creating one of the most
boring games around (along with soccer and tennis).
So:

+ + Bandobras Took
a.k.a. The Bullroarer
Old 08-14-2006, 10:32 AM   #165
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
White-Hand

I am no fan of golf, but I think that people are concentrating rather too much on the by-product of the Bullroarer's achievement, rather than the achievement itself.

This amazing Hobbit succeeded, with what was no doubt not much more than a band of glorified Shirriffs, in routing, yes routing, a Goblin invasion of the Shire and, in so doing, clove Golfimbul's head clean off. That's is quite an achievement for a Hobbit. Indeed, I would go so far as to say that he ranks among the most heroic Hobbits of all time.

The invention of the tedious game of golf rather pales into insignificance when one considers these facts.

Besides, he has one of the greatest names of all.

Ar-Pharazon, on the other hand, has no redeeming features. Vain and ambitious, he brought nothing but ruin to his people. In comparison with a Hobbit who was the saviour of his people, there would seem to me to be no contest.

+ + AR-PHARAZON
Old 08-14-2006, 10:34 AM   #166
Volo
Silver in My Silent Heart

Volo has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Skype™ to Volo
I'll just continue and vote the hobbit out.

++The Bullroarer
Old 08-14-2006, 10:42 AM   #167
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Volo, you realy are a minion of Lommy !

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 10:51 AM   #168
Mirkgirl
Haunting Spirit

Mirkgirl has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Skype™ to Mirkgirl
okay seems we wont be able to get rid of some minor this time so

--Princess Pam
++Ar-Pharazon

While Im not impressed with golf, I dont see anything THAT bad at it either... plus the original game has a certain flair - I wouldnt mind a game with orcs. (& I agree with The Saucepan Man that its mean to judge the character just by the game)

And Ar-Pharazon is just an idiot, scuse my french.
"Hobbits! Well, what next? I have heard of strange doings in this land, but I have seldom heard of a hobbit sleeping out of doors under a tree. Three of them! There's something mighty queer behind this."
Mirkgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 11:04 AM   #169
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Boots

One further question to consider.

Who would you rather have as the leader of your nation? One who sees off a band of cruel invaders and incidentally invents the game of golf, or one whose vain ambitions bring a catastrophic flood upon your land, thereby destroying it?

You can ignore golf, but you can't ignore a bloomin' great tidal wave!
Old 08-14-2006, 11:24 AM   #170
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Wilwa, you ignored either my or Beth´s Manwe vote day before yesterday. Probably mine.

As for today I´ll be delighted to join the Ar-Pharazon bandwaggon. For what he did to Tar-Miriel, there can be no forgiveness.
+ + Ar-Pharazon
Old 08-14-2006, 12:34 PM   #171
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
Sorry I'm late.

Votes for today:

Bullroarer - 5
Tar-Miriel - 1
Princess Pam - 2
Alf - 1
Ar-Pharazon - 8

Ar-Pharazon stood and started to walk away from the tribal council. After only taking a few steps, the council heard large crashing from the distance. Suddenly a large, robot giraffe (Wayne's idea ) stomped past the tribal council, and stepped on Ar-Pharazon in the process.

Thus ends Day 7!

The remaining contestants:

From the Lord of the Rings Survivor
Merry
Gimli
Hama
Gandalf
Arwen

From the Silmarillion Survivor
Sauron
Elbereth
Osse
Ingwe

From the Hobbit Survivor
Smaug
The Bullroarer
Gloin
Durin
Bofur

From the Second Age Survivor
Tar-Miriel
Celebrian
Thorondor
Tar-Aldarion

From the Minor Works Survivor
Chrysophylax Dives
Goldberry
Alf the Prentice, King of Faerie
Perry-the-Winkle
Princess Pam

You may now start voting!

Sorry Lalaith if I missed your vote, but Manwe is out now, so I don't see how it really effects the game. But sorry anyway, I'll slow down when I count the votes.
Old 08-14-2006, 12:45 PM   #172
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
We should thin out one of the groups who still have 5. That is minor works, LOTR, and The Hobbit. I suggest we keep Bullroarer as he is fairly interesting, for a hobbit. Merry on the other hand is rather obnoxious, he can't take orders and without Pippin he's kind of like David Spade without Chris Farley--Useless.

++Merry
Old 08-14-2006, 12:53 PM   #173
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Mormegil, you're wrong. I was almost ready to have a ceasefire concerning Bullroarer, but obviously I can't do it now.

Merry is useless without Pippin? Tell that to Éowyn, or to the Witch-King.

Merry is one of the most sympathic characters Tolkien ever wrote. He's funny, but can be serious. In his own way he's wise, and he's friendly. And of the hobbits I've always preferred his attitude and sense of humour.

Let's not vote him.

If we want to get rid of one pair of furry feet, let's lynch Bullroarer. Really, he's only a war heroe, there's no other aspect to him (except the golf most people here seem to disapprove). We know nearly nothing of his personality or life. Why to support an unknown nobody, who's only famous for hacking off a goblin's head and inventing one of the most stupid games in the world?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauce
One who sees off a band of cruel invaders and incidentally invents the game of golf, or one whose vain ambitions bring a catastrophic flood upon your land, thereby destroying it?
The ambitious one, of course. Much more entertainment...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune
Volo, you realy are a minion of Lommy !
Of course he is! Ever heard of authorities brainwashing innocent youth?
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 12:54 PM   #174
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
I agree with Mormegil, that we should even the groups.

But as I've said earlier, I would like to start that evening out from the "minor works compartment".

++ Princess Pam

Morm (and a couple of others) have been making a lot of the names different characters carry with them.

Pam?

Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 12:56 PM   #175
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I conclude that Morm's favourite is in Silm or 2nd Age. Good to know, good to know...

However, I agree with him on his point about Merry. I mean, come on, even the name itself is annoying, not to mention everything else.

++ Merry
Macalaure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 01:10 PM   #176
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
++Bullroarer

Do I need to explain anymore?
Old 08-14-2006, 01:11 PM   #177
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Here we go again. . .

++ Princess Pam

Old 08-14-2006, 01:52 PM   #178
The Elf-warrior
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The Elf-warrior is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via Skype™ to The Elf-warrior
++Sauron
Old 08-14-2006, 03:10 PM   #179
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lommy
Merry is useless without Pippin? Tell that to Éowyn, or to the Witch-King.
Well neither one is here now are they...so he is rather useless. He's neither a good serious nor a good funny. He tries to balance the two but fails horribly.
Old 08-14-2006, 03:36 PM   #180
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
And once again...

++Bullraoarer
Old 08-14-2006, 04:41 PM   #181
mormegil
Maundering Mage

Let me add to my Merry argument. He essentially is neither here nor there. He's, as I said, moderately funny but not enough to keep neither is he serious enough to be kept for his depth. He's not exactly dumb, and we can find some charm in dumb or slow witted characters, but he's not really intelligent either. He's not a blundering nincompoop on the battle field, well at least by the end, but he's no master strategist either and do NOT tell me the Scouring of the Shire plan was a stroke of genius, he simply blew his horn and had the hobbits out number the ruffians. He's neither repugnant morally nor is he scrupulous.

The sum of it is: Merry is just plain and average and nothing he does can change that. There's really only a sense of mediocre blah when it comes to Merry and that my friends is a rating killer plain and simple.
Old 08-14-2006, 05:02 PM   #182
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Just see the scope of the argument we are having with Middle-Earth based chartacters! That's too good to be wasted while characters like Princess Pam still live in the game!

Why are we wishing to do away with them so hastily as we could just calmly kill those minor works types (well, possibly first not including Chrysophylax - it's a dragon anyway, or Goldberry - she's in the LotR anyway).

Just do away with those not ME-related figures first and then release the battle of the "real personas"...

Sorry to look one-sided, but I can't help myself. I could give seven Pams and thirteen Alfs for one Manwë.
Old 08-14-2006, 05:03 PM   #183
mormegil
Maundering Mage

Perhaps there are those who like the minor works characters as well.
Old 08-14-2006, 05:10 PM   #184
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by mormegil
I'm most convinced about you being one...
Old 08-14-2006, 05:22 PM   #185
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I´m starting to wonder what Bofur is bringing to the ratings, exactly. I like a dwarf with attitude but this one is just a waste of space.
++BOFUR
Old 08-14-2006, 05:24 PM   #186
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Well, we didn't have Bombur to choose for... even though he might have been a bit sympathetic.
Old 08-14-2006, 05:37 PM   #187
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melkorgil
Just as I thought you could not sinck any lower. . .

Old 08-14-2006, 06:15 PM   #188
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Pipe

++Merry, Merry

(sung to the tune of Neil Diamond’s Cherry, Cherry)

Here comes showdown, ain’t gonna be late
Gonna be outta sight, yeah
Merry’ll run outta town, can’t wait

Merry, Merry
Go on Merry, Merry
Merry, Merry
Go on Merry, Merry
Whoa, Merry

Gonna make your own lightnin’
It won’t be frightnin’
That’s all it takes
To get Merry shakin’
Outta sight.

Merry, Merry
Go on Merry, Merry
Merry, Merry
Go on Merry, Merry
Merry, Merry

Okay, well, Neil's lyrics never were his strong point. Sort of like the likeable hobbit fellow.
Old 08-14-2006, 08:11 PM   #189
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Well, I like Merry, though I do hold somewhat of a grudge re: the fact that he won LotR survivor whereas Pippin didn't even make it in the all star round. Perhaps this is just as well, because I doubt anyone here wants to see Diamond frothing at the mouth trying to orchestrate a Pippin win (no argument would sway me, sorry, that's just how it is when you're a Pippin fangirl). Regardless, clearly Pippin is the more interesting hobbit of the two and if Pippin can't be around then, well, I'm not sure Merry should be either.

On the other hand, there's Princess Pam. As I said before, I'd rather have had Farmer Giles or the Mewlips or Roverandom or lots of other MW characters around before Pam. She was minor in the minor work and her name still drives me crazy.

And between Merry and Princess Pam... well, Pippin wouldn't vote Merry off at such a point. WWPD. Those are the initials I live by.

+ + Princess Pam
Old 08-14-2006, 08:22 PM   #190
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
sticking with ++Alf the Prentice, King of Faerie
Old 08-15-2006, 03:58 AM   #191
Mirkgirl
Haunting Spirit

Mirkgirl has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Skype™ to Mirkgirl
whats wrong with plain average? Merry is not as comical as Pippin but cracks a joke now and then and also reads a book now and then. Who took lead in Fangorn cause he actually used his time in Rivandell well. Who leaded the scouring of the shire? Who organised the whole move in Hobbition? Who was on the right track on the door of Moria (okay, exaggerating a bit here ). What would we do without a character who's just plain enough to do all the little but important tasks which don't fit all that well in some distinct character's code of action.

And to hear that Merry is useless without Pippin makes me want to strangle PJ. And Im sorry to see such nice folk as yourselves apparantly feeling the influence of the movie.

So Im going ahead with the yet-to-happen slaughter of minor characters
+ + Princess Pam
"Hobbits! Well, what next? I have heard of strange doings in this land, but I have seldom heard of a hobbit sleeping out of doors under a tree. Three of them! There's something mighty queer behind this."
Mirkgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 08:09 AM   #192
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

I agree with Gil-Galad.

++ Alf the Prentice, King of Faerie

...should go.

King's ought to have their full names used. Like Alfred...Alfonzo...Alfredo...Alfalfa...
Old 08-15-2006, 08:24 AM   #193
mormegil
Maundering Mage

Quote:
And to hear that Merry is useless without Pippin makes me want to strangle PJ. And Im sorry to see such nice folk as yourselves apparantly feeling the influence of the movie.
No, my opinion isn't influenced by the movies so no need to worry, even if it were it's fairly irrelevant. However you admit that Merry is fairly bland and mediocre...this character type is horrible for ratings. Plus he's Pippin's friend and supporter and that alone is crime enough for a hanging.
Old 08-15-2006, 08:30 AM   #194
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
I think some of you are missing the point. This isn't the "Weakest Link". I think we should be honouring Tolkien's philosophy by wisely considering that even the smallest and weakest might have an important part to play. Thus, we should be booting off the powerful, especially the obnoxious, snivelling powerful ones, and those who we know will land sturdily on their feet in character-afterlife, otherwise known as rerun heaven or Lost or any number of talk show.

Old 08-15-2006, 10:03 AM   #195
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

White-Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by morm
However you admit that Merry is fairly bland and mediocre...this character type is horrible for ratings.
While I disagree that Merry is either bland or mediocre, I do agree that bland and mediocre characters are bad for the ratings. And so I shall vote today for one of the blandest and most mediocre of them all.

+ + ALF THE PRENTICE, KING OF FAERIE

I have no conception of what Alf was actually like. For one of the central characters in his tale, this is not a good thing at all. My only impression of him is that he was a goody-two-shoes (the worst kind of reality show contestant - no fun whatsoever) and that his wife took to embarassing him by flirting with strangers in his land. Neither quality recommends him to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bêthberry
I think some of you are missing the point. This isn't the "Weakest Link". I think we should be honouring Tolkien's philosophy by wisely considering that even the smallest and weakest might have an important part to play.
But Bêth, you voted for Merry ...
Old 08-15-2006, 10:28 AM   #196
mormegil
Maundering Mage

SpM not voting for a Hobbit?!?! I am shocked!!!
Old 08-15-2006, 10:53 AM   #197
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tuor in Gondolin has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Yahoo to Tuor in Gondolin
Yes. It is time to make minor deletions to
minor characters. So:

+ + Princess Pam
Old 08-15-2006, 10:55 AM   #198
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by morm
SpM not voting for a Hobbit?!?! I am shocked!!!
Morm, I will happily vote for Merry tomorrow if you change your vote to Alf today.

Merry has already won once. He doesn't have anything to prove.
Old 08-15-2006, 10:56 AM   #199
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

White-Hand

Sorry - further proviso for voting for Merry - I will do so once Alf goes.
Old 08-15-2006, 10:58 AM   #200
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

--Bullroarer

++Princess Pam

She has a stupid name (like the golf-monster, I know) and I want to keep Merry safe. And to get rid of these "minor nobodies" ...