The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-23-2003, 01:18 AM   #1
Lathriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Wandering through Middle-Earth (Sadly in Alberta and not ME)
Lathriel has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien Do you think Howard Shore's music was used well in ROTK

Just want to know if you like Howard Shore's music cause I sure do. I think the music has become a really powerful tool in the LOTR movies. How about you?
Old 12-23-2003, 11:20 AM   #2
Beanamir of Gondor
Shade of Carn Dűm

Beanamir of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

I think the music was a little different in ROTK, than that in TTT and FOTR. It sounded more like... I don't know... music from the Gladiator more than from LOTR. Ever seen Gladiator?

"I only lent you my body; you lent me your dream."
Beanamir of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 11:36 AM   #3
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

There's a couple of moments when Shore's score really hummed.<P>* The lighting of the beacons.<BR>* Minas Morgul.<BR>* Frodo and Sam climbing up Mount Doom.<P>There are likely others, but those three really stand out in my mind right now.<P>H.C.
Old 12-23-2003, 12:42 PM   #4
BeeBombadil
Animated Skeleton

BeeBombadil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Those strings singing in the lighting of the beacons...makes me hair stand up! So beautifully written. I love the whole soundtrack but the beacons and Faramir's charge have to be my favorites.
BeeBombadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 12:51 PM   #5
andreadawn
Pile O'Bones

andreadawn has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I agree with you BeeBombadil, the music for the beacon scene was so moving-I too got chills. The whole score was beautiful, of the the three films I think I like the music from this one the best.
Old 12-23-2003, 12:51 PM   #6
Arcuwen
Pile O'Bones

Arcuwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arcuwen
Sting

The lighting of the beacons was really moving. He did an excellent job for all 3 of the movies. I thought that he composed music to fit each place/character/event perfectly. Example of this is the Rohan theme. It really captures their culture. Some parts in ROTK do remind me of Gladiator, now that I think of it. My friend insists the LOTR music sounds like the music from Pirates. I don't think they resemble each other at all.
Arcuwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 02:23 PM   #7
TheSquireof Aragorn
Animated Skeleton

TheSquireof Aragorn has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Beacons definetley, and Pippin singing for Faramirs charge, everything about that was perfect. The song, Pippins voice, and the action that went with the song all were perfect.
Old 12-23-2003, 03:28 PM   #8
Jjudvven
Wight

Jjudvven has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Jjudvven
Sting

Yes I'd say that the music with the beacons was amazingly well done. I liked Pippin's song also. And I really liked how in some of the tender moments with Frodo and Sam the Shire theme kept coming back in, which was one of my favorite themes.<P>In the other movies, I loved Orthanc music, with those huge drums booming. Did anyone else think this was great?
Old 12-23-2003, 04:43 PM   #9
Lathriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

I thought some of the music fit the images in the movie so well.<BR>I also thought the music at the cracks of mount doom was powerful. The tune the flute plays is so full of hope. I love that part.
Old 12-23-2003, 06:10 PM   #10
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yes, it was that solo flute that I was referring too when Frodo and Sam were climbing Mount Doom. It was subtle and powerful.<P>H.C.
Old 12-23-2003, 08:01 PM   #11
balrogman
Wight

balrogman has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

loved it except the mount doom with the flute...it just felt so out of place
Old 12-24-2003, 03:02 AM   #12
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Howard Shore's score has been so wonderful. The music has been consistantly teriffic throughout the trilogy. I loved the beacons part, and I thought the music for Shelob's Lair was very cool too. But right now it is kind of hard to pick out specific points, because it is all really a blur in my mind.
Old 12-24-2003, 05:08 AM   #13
Tintalle
Pile O'Bones

Location: At the Gates of Morannon, waiting for the Great Battle
Tintalle has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

I loved Pippin's Song. Billy Boyd's got a beautiful voice! As for the rest, definitely the beacons & minas morgul scores were good. However, I feel the battle scores in The Two Towers was better than in Return of the King. But I really love Annie Lennox's "Into the West".
Old 12-24-2003, 12:23 PM   #14
Lathriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tolkien

I agree Tintalle. I think the battle music in TTT is better as well. However the music in ROTK seems to be different from the other soundtracks. But I can't put my finger on the differences. However I can hear a different srt of tone in the music. <BR>Anyway I will find these differences someday.
Old 12-24-2003, 12:58 PM   #15
Enorëiel
Wight

Enorëiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think Howard Shore did an outstanding job! The music in ROTK was wonderful! I really loved the music as Frodo and Sam were making their way up Mount Doom, when Faramir was sent on his suicide mission (love Pip's voice!), the lighting of the beacons and at many other places that elude my mind at the moment. The ROTK soundtrack is my favorite among the three for the moment - I think it's just because of all the movie hype. Though, I have to admit I like more songs on FOTR than on ROTK.

Whoever said "Nothing is impossible" never tried to slam a revolving door.
Enorëiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2003, 01:23 PM   #16
Phervasaion
Shade of Carn Dűm

Phervasaion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I also thought that Shores music is magnificent. I thought it was in all three films. As for RotK, I loved the lighting of the the becons and i liked both pippins and Aragorns songs (but i think Viggo Wrote the melody for that).
Old 12-24-2003, 04:00 PM   #17
Orominuialwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Umbar, but before the corsairs took over. (Ave Maria University, FL, USA)
Orominuialwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I really loved all the music in RotK, although I'm not sure the person sitting next to me in the theater felt the same way. (They changed seats halfway through the show. I think they thought I was obnoxious for humming along with the music, but I couldn't help myself. I did try to hum quietly though!)
Old 12-25-2003, 10:21 AM   #18
Finnguala
Wight

Finnguala has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I love it!! But I think there were some parts that were a little too loud, though. When the Witchking first appeared, for example. Other than that absolutely beautiful!!
Old 12-27-2003, 09:49 AM   #19
Sauron 666
Haunting Spirit

Sauron 666 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I loved it. Particular moments:<P>I like it how on Mt Doom the shire theme is reprised <P>I love the soprano when Frodo is being carried away, so elegiac! <BR>I especially like how all three films have a similair, yet distinct sound. Howard Shore is among my favourite soundtrack composers now. (No One beats Ennio Morricone however!)
Sauron 666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2003, 10:27 AM   #20
Olorin_TLA
Shade of Carn Dűm

Olorin_TLA has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Excllent as usual! I thought it worked great for the Gondor theme (better than Fellowship theme! Oh my Eru!!!) , Grey Havens and Shelob...and everywhere else!

ELENDIL! - Join "Forth Tolkiengas!"
Olorin_TLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2003, 03:47 PM   #21
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

Glad to see that others loved the music for the beacon lighting as well. That was the sole reason I didn't mind how incredibly dragged out that scene was (OK, PJ, mountains and beacons we got the point five minutes ago! ). That's more my taste in scores, to have the music really driving the action along rather than skulking around in the background, or repeating the same few bars <I>ad nauseum</I> (like the Saruman/Uruk Hai theme from FOTR). It was fantastic to see Howard Shore finally release, and just blast out a really unconstrained, joyous piece for the beacons.<P>My major gripe is probably more with the editing than the actual music. Aragorn's speech at the Black Gate was completely cheesified with your classic Hollywood score over top. The music should at least have been quieter, and allowed Viggo the attention he deserved at that moment. I was lucky enough to see Viggo filming that scene near Tongariro National Park in New Zealand, and believe me it was much more moving when everything else was still.<P>On the TTT EE DVD (!) I notice that Howard Shore is given very little time to put the final score together, since PJ always pushes his deadlines right down to the wire. I think it would have been nice if the composer had received the final cut of the film a little bit earlier, to allow everything to be put together perfectly.
Old 12-27-2003, 05:31 PM   #22
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

1) The Lighting of the Beacons<P>2) The Battle of Pelennor Fields<P>3) Before the Black Gates<P>The score at those three places had me sitting on the edge of my seat, biting my nails, with shivers going down my spine, all at once! Truly amazing!
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2003, 06:53 PM   #23
Lathriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

I think Howard Shore did a really good job also considering the amount of pressure he was under. It is no easy task writing music let alone writing it just before the deadline. I would fail miserably.
Old 12-28-2003, 04:18 AM   #24
BoromirsBeard
Pile O'Bones

BoromirsBeard has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I wasn't as awed as I expected to be by the Gondor theme, to tell the truth. After first the Fellowship theme and then the Rohan theme, I was waiting to be blown away by Gondor. Instead it was the visuals that did it - when I think of Minas Tirith I think of the amazing aerial view, but when I think of Edoras I hear that hardanger fiddle plucking at the heartstrings.<P>It probably helps Rohan to be more unique, too. Inspired by the vikings, Shore was able to take influences from a culture that Hollywood really hasn't explored. On the other hand, Gondor is an empire along the same lines as Rome (Gladiator!) or the British Empire (Braveheart!). Hence more difficult to find a unique theme.
BoromirsBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2003, 07:09 AM   #25
Gayahuaniel

Sting

The music composed by Howard Shore is amazing, really beautiful. I can listen to the cd's a lot, beautiful music. The Beacon Scene is really cool and then the music.<P>My favourite numbers:<BR>1) The King of the Golden Hall<BR>2) May It Be<BR>3) The Ride of the Rohirrim<BR>4) Minas Tirith
Old 12-28-2003, 09:56 AM   #26
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I loved this score as well. Some of my favorite moments are:<P>The beacons<BR>Shelob<BR>Mt. Doom<BR>Pippin's song<BR>When Gandalf and Pippin are ridding up through the city.
Old 12-28-2003, 10:47 AM   #27
Olorin_TLA
Shade of Carn Dűm

Olorin_TLA has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

THe part of the track "Minas Tirith" with the solo where Gandalf saves Faramir from the Nazgul roxors.

ELENDIL! - Join "Forth Tolkiengas!"
Olorin_TLA is offline   Reply With Quote