The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-14-2004, 10:23 AM   #1
matea

Silmaril Smelly and tasty memory

Hya Peeps,

Ive been reading tolkien books again.(it is hard but im taking all your advise)
If started again because i was drinking Dryo i tasted al the memorys that i had the last time i drank that.
I remember my memorys by taste and smell.
How strange is that or isnt it?

thnx
Old 12-14-2004, 10:36 AM   #2
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
1420!

Welcome back to the downs.

Last edited by Legolas; 12-14-2004 at 08:37 PM.
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 10:57 AM   #3
Legolas
A Northern Soul

Legolas has just left Hobbiton.
Welcome to the Barrow-Downs. There is a general introduction thread for all newcomers to say hello in the Novices & Newcomers forum (where I've moved this thread).

There are certain things that I associate with Lord of the Rings (as with most books, etc. that mark certain periods of my life). I've always associated it, especially the Fellowship of the Ring, with Christmas (and Christmas break) because that's when I started reading it, and later, that's when the movies came out. I associate a lot of the music I was getting into at the time with Fellowship of the Ring - bands Spiritualized, Sigur Ros, the Beatles' Let it Be album, certain single songs I was listening too. Over my second semester of college, I reread the Fellowship of the Ring and then read Unfinished Tales sitting in front of the 'grand entrance' to my dorm and basically my university. I read the Two Towers over the summer on trips, mostly on one to Tennessee (and again, the music I was listening to then goes along with it). The Return of the King was read on another trip, this time on a trip to Florida for spring break. I was listening to the Verve a lot then, and bought their album 'No Come Down' on the same trip.

It's funny how these random things you encounter, totally unrelated to the book, remind of the/a book instantly, and pretty cool at the same time.
Old 12-14-2004, 03:02 PM   #4
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
matea must have what is known as a kinaesthetic mind - which works on your sense of taste and smell, while Legolas must have an aural mind, responding to memories from sound. I am kinaesthetic - the smell of pipe tobacco has a special resonance, and I associate the smell of canvas with LotR as I read much of it while I was hidden underneath a stack of canvas seated chairs at school.

It isn't strange, it's just how our senses work for us. I think Tolkien must have had a visual memory as his writing is intensely visually descriptive.
Old 12-18-2004, 02:55 PM   #5
ninlaith
Wight

ninlaith has just left Hobbiton.
This is a good idea for a thread matea, however, I think you may want to re-think the wording. Quite frankly it may be a little confusing for others. I get your point though. Whenever I first started reading The Hobbit I always lit a french vanilla candle before I began to read. Now I associate with the Shire. Also the smell of Theater popcorn. Everytime I get a whiff of the buttery goodness I'm taken back to the premiere's of all the movies in the trilogy. It was always a very magical experience for me when I attended the movies and i', glad I have something to remember them by.