The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-06-2003, 02:54 PM   #1
dragonslayer

Shield should peter jackson be allowed to make another movie

peter jackson ruined lotr so much it isn't funny!he shouldn't ruin other movies
Old 08-06-2003, 03:33 PM   #2
Esgallhugwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Esgallhugwen has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Tsk Tsk this post will be met with mixed results hopefully a war won't result. Why are you so bitter about Peter Jackson's interpretation of the best book ever written? I think he did a good job for one who was brave enough to take on the task of trying to make a movie of it. And yes he did take out lots of bits that I am upset about but try to think of it this way... He tried to make the movie for people who had never heard of Lord of the Rings before or who had never even heard of Tolkien himself, he had to make it good for those people. I really don't like the people who think the movie dragged on and they always complain about how they fell asleep. Shame on them! And yet this always comes up the butchering of PJ's work, do you think it is easy to make such a movie? Anyway it might help not to think of it as based on LOR but rather an interpretation or not related to it at all... and try to have a more open mind <p>[ August 06, 2003: Message edited by: Esgallhugwen ]
Old 08-06-2003, 03:39 PM   #3
VardaoftheStars

Sting

Well, I thought he did a superb job on FOTR. I must admit TTT left a little something to be desired. We haven't seen ROTK yet.<P>I thought The Frighteners was pretty good.<P>If I'm not mistaken, I heard he's making another version of King Kong. It may not be too bad.
Old 08-06-2003, 04:01 PM   #4
Esgallhugwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The Eye

I know he's added more of Arwen which some seem upset about but there needs to be a bit of romance in a movie such as this, and besides just because it's not directly in the book doesn't mean it never happened, for Tolkien had written such things of Arargorn and Arwen elsewhere.
Old 08-06-2003, 04:17 PM   #5
dragonslayer

Sting

It can't be too hard to go a bit more by the books instead of making his own plot for the movies.
Old 08-06-2003, 05:27 PM   #6
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Yeah. Totally. You're absolutely right. But I think barring PJ from making other movies is a bit too light a punishment for a pre-meditated crime of this magninute: wrongful book interpretation in the first degree.<P>We should just burn him at the stake.<P>
Old 08-06-2003, 07:03 PM   #7
Iarwain
Pugnaciously Primordial Paradox

Iarwain has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

Hm. Drawn and quartered? Perhaps, but what does that leave for Elias Zandi? I think he deserves some punishment too. On the otherhand, maybe he can just settle down happily with his funky hobbit/human children in a nice hole at the boott om of the ocesan/. I think that sounds grand. Don't you?<P>Iarwain
Old 08-06-2003, 07:28 PM   #8
Sauron 666
Haunting Spirit

Sauron 666 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I dunno if you're beeing too harsh, I mean he may have gotten LOTR wrong but he has done Meet The Feebles, Bad Taste, Dead Alive, and Heavenly Creatures, all of which are worthwhile movies. I actually heard he wanted to do King Kong after LOTR which is kinda like buying a chevette after owning a porsche imo.
Sauron 666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 07:49 PM   #9
Maeglanthirion
Animated Skeleton

Maeglanthirion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Maeglanthirion
Tolkien

Well, he did try to make the movies for all people, like those who had never seen it before. And like the scenes with Aragorn and Arwen, yeah he overdid them, but those are my mom's favorite parts. So you can see that he was trying to make the movie enjoyable for everybody. I think if he made the movies straight from the books, he would probably confuse tons of people. He did a pretty good job on FotR. TTT did have several big differences, but that doesn't make it a bad movie. Imagine seeing a movie exactly like the book if you had never even heard of LotR. I saw FotR, and that got me into the books. I was somewhat confused after the movie with the names and such.<BR> Well, there's my opinion.
"I see in your eyes, the same fear that would take the heart of me. A day may come, when the courage of men fails, and we break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. This day, we fight!..."
Maeglanthirion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 07:55 PM   #10
arianrod
Wight

Location: Wandering Hobbiton, smiling at the hobbits & trying to sell them vacuum cleaners
arianrod has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to arianrod
Shield

PJ ruined LotR? I wouldn't say that... I wouldn't say that at all. Sure, he made a few changes and took out some things that none of us are too thrilled about, but I believe he's done a better than decent job in translating the book to movies. I mean, it could've been alot worse: ever seen the Bakshi version of LotR? *shudder* but no offence to those who enjoyed them...<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>He tried to make the movie for people who had never heard of Lord of the Rings before or who had never even heard of Tolkien himself, he had to make it good for those people.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>My thoughts exactly, Esgallhugwen. He was trying to make these films as enjoyable for as many people as he could. It doesn't matter what book you're dealing with, when you put it to screen there <I>are</I> going to be changes. <P>And if you're still not convinced, think of all the people who've discovered the wonder of LotR thanks to his movies (myself included). He had to have been doing <I>something</I> right if he drew so many people from accross the globe into Middle Earth.
arianrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 08:56 PM   #11
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I think he did a fair job. Yes I definatly have my perks with TTT, but he did GREAT on FotR, I thought. The resaon I give him a fair grade is because FotR balances out an un-stellar TTT. He's done okay. Oh well, I guess no one can be perfect (although I'll certainly not use that as an excuse for messing up TTT ). <p>[ August 08, 2003: Message edited by: The Only Real Estel ]
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 09:10 PM   #12
dragonslayer

Shield

He shouldn't have to"translate"anything.<BR>I could have done a better job.So stop with "he translated the book"it wasn't written in greek was it?<BR>It didn't need translating.
Old 08-06-2003, 09:19 PM   #13
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

Translating=changing. Therefore PJ did indeed 'change' the books as best he could to make what he thought was a good movie. That's just the way it is mate.
Old 08-06-2003, 10:39 PM   #14
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Silmaril

Setting aside the debate on whether the movies were great, okay, or awful: I'm rather curious how exactly you would propose to stop Peter Jackson from ever making another movie. I mean, besides the old staple of murder (it's so passé and... illegal). Maybe we could start one of those online petitions—they're very effective.
Old 08-06-2003, 10:56 PM   #15
Maylin
Haunting Spirit

Maylin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Maylin
Sting

PJ is human, he may have messed up. But, even if he did, alot of people still started reading the books because of the movies, which is a good thing. <P>Whats not good is he people who just watch the movies and become rabid fan girls ( or guys, i suppose) instead of respectable Tolkienologists like yourselves (jk)
Maylin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 11:05 PM   #16
hobbit punk
Haunting Spirit

hobbit punk has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Ok, setting all my grievances aside for a minute, I have to say no offence to the extreme PJ opposers but there is no way he would've spent $300 million without making sure that the films would appeal to a wide range of book and non-book readers alike. I am pretty sure that if you are so rigid in your critisism of PJ that no adaptation would have satisfied you. We all have our own personal connection with ME and unless we ourselves make our own version of LOTR, it will always be someone else's interpretation of the books, therefore always disappointing. What's done is done and can't be undone. I myself have tried to move on and separate the books from the films. After all, we all know which is the greater work, and that is what really counts.
Old 08-07-2003, 11:56 AM   #17
Silmiel of Imladris
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmiel of Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Silmiel of Imladris
Sting

Yo people stop whining! At least some one had the dedication and love of the books to make them into movies in the first place. Without the movies where would we be? I wouldn't have Legolas to drool over for starters and I probably would have never of read the books if I didn't have a movie to look forward to after I was finished. Yes some of the things PJ left out are a bummer but if you guys think you can do it better without turning it in to an all out snooze fest let me know. For face it when you add every little detail a good book turns into a bad movie. If 30-40 years down the road one of you whinners has the hundreds upon hundreds of millions of dollars to remake the trilogy go ahead and do it if you are that unhappy with it and we will see whose is better. I hate to shout but this subject annoys me.

Figwit on his name: Are you suggesting that I have the wit of a fig?
Silmiel of Imladris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2003, 12:18 PM   #18
Esgallhugwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The Eye

Like Tolkien himself said about his work<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Some who have read the book, or at any rate have reviewed it, have found it boring, absurd, or contemptible; and I have no cause to complain, since I have similiar opinions of their works, or of the kinds of writing that they evidently prefer. But even from the points of view of many who have enjoyed my story there is much that fails to please. IT IS PERHAPS NOT POSSIBLE IN A LONG TALE TO PLEASE EVERYBODY AT ALL POINTS, OR TO DISPLEASE EVERYBODY AT THE SAME POINTS; for I find from the letters that I have recieved that the passages or chapters that are to some A BLEMISH ARE BY ALL OTHRS SPECIALLY APPROVED. The most critical reader of all, myself, now finds many defects, minor and major, but being fortunately under no obligation either to review the book or to write it again, he will pass over these in silence, except one that has been noted by others: the book is too short.<BR> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> <P>So you see even Tolkien himself knew that he could not please everybody with his work and I'm sure that PJ knows this as well. And I agree with many of you who say that he has introduced many to Tolkien's work and that is something that one should be proud of. <p>[ August 07, 2003: Message edited by: Esgallhugwen ]
Old 08-07-2003, 01:54 PM   #19
Daisy Brambleburr
Shade of Carn Dûm

Daisy Brambleburr has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

On one hand, you could say that Peter Jackson could have done a better job. He could have stayed closer to the plot, characterised some people better, taken out some annoying/un-funny/boring parts.<BR>But then, you think of how much worse it could have been *coughanimatedversioncough*. He certainly didn't go into the project half heartedly, he tried pretty darn hard and if you think about it the whole thing isn't all that bad. Of couse, it could be improved but no movie that I've seen is perfect. And I know that it's fun to make fun of the films, (heck, I know I do). And although he did make some errors (in some peoples opinions; many, while others love every single second) I think we should give him credit for trying and, on the whole, doing a pretty fair job. <BR>And, in answer to the original question, it's certainly not fair or right to ban him from making movies (as well as it not being overly possible). At the end of the day, it's all opinion.
Old 08-07-2003, 04:40 PM   #20
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I could have done a better job.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Of course. You could have also painted "Venus and Mars" much better than that Botticelli moron. Not to mention the fact that you could have probably done a much better job on "Abbey Road" as well.* So yeah, let's lynch PJ, ban the movies, and hand you the rights and the $300 million budget. Oh boy, I can hardly wait. <P><BR>*-The above references to high art are not necessarily being equated with Peter Jackson's films, lest I am about to duck Balrog-sized flames.
Old 08-08-2003, 11:11 AM   #21
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

Lol, Lush. Unfortunatly we must not have the 'sense of humuor' that this guy does. <p>[ August 08, 2003: Message edited by: The Only Real Estel ]
Old 08-08-2003, 11:37 AM   #22
Arathiriel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arathiriel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arathiriel
The Eye

You do all remember that these movies are just movies <B>riiiiiiiiiiiight</B>?<P>With that said I am beginning to think that some people will never <B>ever</B> be satisfied seeing as I have heard griping about FOTR and even though I liked TTT I say definitely say FOTR was the better movie of the two...<P><I>*sighs*</I><P>Alas I think the fact I have not been a fan as long as some of you have leaves room for me to be more <B>openminded</B>...
Old 08-08-2003, 12:48 PM   #23
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

You won't hear griping about FotR from me, & I try to keep my complaints about TTT under my hat for the most part (except maybe Faramir & Osgiliath). <BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> And if you're still not convinced, think of all the people who've discovered the wonder of LotR thanks to his movies (myself included). He had to have been doing something right if he drew so many people from accross the globe into Middle Earth.<BR><HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Well, yes. I don't think anyone is suggesting that the movies totally flopped because he made them <B>so</B> boring & a pain to even be in the same room with. As I said, I'll give him a fair grade so far. <p>[ August 08, 2003: Message edited by: The Only Real Estel ]
Old 08-10-2003, 07:20 PM   #24
Arwen Eruantale
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arwen Eruantale has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Arwen Eruantale
Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>(except maybe Faramir & Osgiliath).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>LOL. Only Real Estel. I really didn't find much to complain about, either. It's probably been said before, but we must remember that these are adaptations. Dang good ones too, if I do say so myself. <BR>I can't imagine if say, the Watchowski brothers, had directed LotR. I love the Matrix movies, but I just couldn't see anyone from LotR, save Agent Elrond of course, running up walls or doing those awesome flying punches or kicks in slow-mo... see what I mean?<P>Just remember, dragonslayer, it could've been a <I>lot</I> worse...<p>[ August 10, 2003: Message edited by: Arwen Eruantale ]

Will you pay attention?
Arwen Eruantale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2003, 03:13 AM   #25
Morgul Queen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Morgul Queen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Morgul Queen
SHUT UP!!!!! Whats done is done and lets all wait for the Extended edition before we start insulting TTT alright....except I'm inclined to agree about the Faramir thing (I started crying in the theatre about 10 minutes after he came on).<P>Maybe we should instead change this topic to a petition to PJ to stay with the Movies Like Meet the Feebles and Heavenly Creatures (Undoubtably the creepiest and most disterbing movie I have ever seen)!!!
Morgul Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2003, 06:07 AM   #26
Arwen_Evenstar
Wight

Arwen_Evenstar has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I agree to an extent...<BR>Firstly ,you see, PJ made a very bold move, trying to create this movie. Many people thought it couldn't be done because of it's plot, physical description of characters and creatures and whatnot, so he should be commended for that first and foremost.<BR>Secondly, I think, in general, that he did a pretty good job on the movies! I agree with Esgallhugwen aswell; unfourtunatley, not everyone has read these wonderful books, so he'd have to make a movie that everyone could watch, not just book fans, or he'd lose a large percent of the income, which would probobly leave him very much in debt. <BR>However, I believe he could have done more to satisfy us,<I>and</I>let others know what was going on, while ALSO staying true to the book. For example, Faramir. I see no reason for turning him all evil and angry, when he could of remained loyal to Gondor. To me, he represented the little strength that was left in the world of men, so when PJ screwed around with him, I sort of went haywire. <BR>So I agree, but don't agree....<BR>Hmmm...<BR>~nat~
Old 08-12-2003, 08:02 AM   #27
Mariska Greenleaf
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mariska Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Something went wrong with my previous posts and I cannot edit them for some reason, so here is again what I wanted to say:<P>I think it is best to see the movies and the books as two different things, that's how I see it. <BR>Of course, I had imagined a lot of things differently, and it is sad that some things that you were looking forward to (Tom B.) weren't in the movies. And right, the Faramir thing, but enough has been said about that!<P>Most importantly, I think the movies could never be made by a director and a crew who don't love them. So I believe that PJ loved the books, and he respected them. But movies and books are two different things.<BR>If I read that some of you believe that they could have done a better job, that's your good right to believe so. But please consider the fact that making one movie is extremely difficult, let alone three.<BR>I believe that things could have been worse, than what PJ showed us so far...Maybe another director could have done a better job, but on the other hand, maybe another one could have made it into a disaster!<P>Anyway, for me personally there are two ME's:<BR>one as I know in the movies, and I can live with that, and one as I imagined it from the books, and that is how I feel it in my heart.<BR>The last one certainly is dearest to me.<P>[ August 12, 2003: Message edited by: Mariska Greenleaf ]<p>[ August 12, 2003: Message edited by: Mariska Greenleaf ]
Old 08-12-2003, 10:44 AM   #28
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I love the Matrix movies, but I just couldn't see anyone from LotR, save Agent Elrond of course, running up walls or doing those awesome flying punches or kicks in slow-mo... see what I mean?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Yeah, Legolas doing that queer-looking little no-look punch-lie-thingy (hopefully you have some idea of what I'm talking about?) in Medasuel to finish off what was left of the skirmish was enough for me .<p>[ August 13, 2003: Message edited by: The Only Real Estel ]
Old 08-12-2003, 11:09 AM   #29
arianrod
Wight

Location: Wandering Hobbiton, smiling at the hobbits & trying to sell them vacuum cleaners
Shield

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Anyway, for me personally there are two ME's:<BR>one as I know in the movies, and I can live with that, and one as I imagined it from the books, and that is how I feel it in my heart.<BR>The last one certainly is dearest to me.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Amen, Mariska Greenleaf. I completely agree with all of your post.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>However, I believe he could have done more to satisfy us,andlet others know what was going on, while ALSO staying true to the book.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Well, that's easier said than done. I think PJ's done a fair job with the theatrical releases of each movie, but remember that he edits the theatrical editions with the fans who haven't read the book in mind. Remember that PJ's gone the extra step that no other directer has done (and most likely no other directer WOULD do): he put together an Extended Edition especially for fans like us.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Whats done is done and lets all wait for the Extended edition before we start insulting TTT alright....except I'm inclined to agree about the Faramir thing <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Ah, yes, but I hear that Faramir gets some kind of redemption in the SE. So don't lose hope yet, Morgul Queen; take your own advice and wait for the Extended Edition before you start hurling the tomatoes.
Old 08-12-2003, 12:23 PM   #30
Cleansed Curunir
Newly Deceased

Cleansed Curunir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

PJ's done a fine job with the movies by me. He had to make a movie geared toward two audiences: those who've read LOTR and those who haven't. I know I'd have a hard time making the movies.<P>I don't see why PJ couldn't make another movie.
Cleansed Curunir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 07:50 PM   #31
Arwen Eruantale
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arwen Eruantale has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Arwen Eruantale
Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Legolas doing that queer-looking little no-look punch-lie-thingy (hopefully you have some idea of what I'm talking about?) in Medasuel to sinish off what was left of the skirmish was enough for me.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I got it. LOL. Yes, certainly enough. Legolas has become sort of the archetype athlete of Middle Earth... <P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> And if you're still not convinced, think of all the people who've discovered the wonder of LotR thanks to his movies (myself included). He had to have been doing something right if he drew so many people from across the globe into Middle Earth.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Yes. Excellent work. Hail Peter Jackson!

Will you pay attention?
Arwen Eruantale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 12:10 AM   #32
Morgul Queen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Morgul Queen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Morgul Queen
I am taking my own advice...BUT I am the Faramir version of Meela sooooo.....<BR>(before you ask, I don't advertise that fact as openly as Meela though. 10 years of being teased has learned me some descretion)
Morgul Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 10:56 AM   #33
arianrod
Wight

Shield

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I am the Faramir version of Meela<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Ah, I see; the world makes sense now. Well can't say that I blame you. Truth be told, I'm almost a <I>Boromir</I> version of Meela. What is it about those Stewards? whew. <p>[ August 13, 2003: Message edited by: arianrod ]
Old 08-13-2003, 11:42 AM   #34
Reyna Evergreen
Haunting Spirit

Reyna Evergreen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Reyna Evergreen
Silmaril

If I can put in my two cents without having an ear bitten off...<P>Imagine that you had never heard of Tolkien. Never read his book, never heard of hobbits. Imagine for a second that Tolkien never wrote Lord of the Rings.<P>Now go watch FotR and TTT.<P>Pretty impressive stuff, huh?<P>Although I admit it's pretty irking to have, say, a favourite passage or character altered out of the movie, we have to remember that LotR was a <B>huge</B> project, and something had to be modified. And now you say that PJ didn't have to add in all that hoo-ha (i.e. Haldir's death, Arwen's constant presence). Again we have to remember that the Tolkien fans aren't the only ones that need to be pleased. LotR was made as a big blockbuster, and had to have some Hollywood elements (i.e. sex appeal- Arwen, suspence- Aragorn battle with the wargs.)<P>So maybe to us, the Tolkien-lovers of the world, that film is a disgrace and fit to be spat on. But hey, to everyone else on the planet, it was a pretty good piece of movie.<P>(I talk too much...<BR> .)<P>[ August 13, 2003: Message edited by: Reyna Evergreen ]<p>[ August 13, 2003: Message edited by: Reyna Evergreen ]
Old 08-13-2003, 12:18 PM   #35
Tarien Ithil
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tarien Ithil has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

dragonslayer, I respectfully but totally disagree with what you said. Jackson did superb work on the films; days and months of filming and hard work went into the movies. <P>And who's gonna stop Jackson from making more movies? <P>Best,<P>Tarien

Crickhollow
Tarien Ithil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 05:00 PM   #36
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

Perhpas dragonslayer has had his account suspended, thanks to his 3 topics he posted in rapid sucsetion. With 2 of those being totally pointless, & with him not having responded to any of our posts for a while, it wouldn't suprise me if he's not responding because he <B>can't</B>. & if it teaches him to be a bit more muture with his topics, then I'll thank the ops here 50 million times or more.
Old 08-13-2003, 10:51 PM   #37
Rosolas
Animated Skeleton

Rosolas has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well as Peter Jackson comes from and lives in a free and democratic Country I don't think there is any chance of NOT allowing him to make another film, do you?<P>People will proabably be arguing for years about what he should have done with what scene and what he should not have left out of the film, but if he had stuck religiously to the book we would still be sat in the cinema's now, with very numb bottoms watching "The Fellowship" wouldn't we?<P>The simple answer is if he does make another film, just don't go and watch it and you will not be aggrieved.<P>This man made a film that introduced a lot of people to a book that they would not normally have read, and surely that is not a bad thing!!<p>[ August 14, 2003: Message edited by: Rosolas ]
Rosolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2003, 07:41 AM   #38
Afaranafawen

Silmaril

sry ta b coming in on this but i think peter jackson really did mess up LOTR because when i watched it i almost thought i grabbed the wrong movie i mean you can't just take out Tom Bambadil like that<BR>and PJ said that if they were to put Tom and Goldberry in the movie it would take away from the main story
Old 08-14-2003, 07:57 PM   #39
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

Afaranafawen: Another reason why PJ took out Bombadil is time constraints. That's basically what it boils down to. He simply didn't have enough time to introduce Bombadil properly (you have to admit, the guy would take quite a bit of explaining/backround/whatever to make sure he came off right!), & he probably would've come of as some singing Jar-Jar Binks. I was quite unhappy with it myself untill I read everyone's replys on my old thread 'Should Tom Bombadil have been in the movies?". Those replys helped me a lot, & it's probably worth the searching for them (about 7 or 8 pages back?) if you want to read them...
Old 08-16-2003, 09:38 AM   #40
thephantomcredits
Animated Skeleton

thephantomcredits has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

anyone who can't see the magnificence of this work in cinema is daft. There are things a like about the movies that <BR>I think are better than the book. I like how PJ has gone in depth into the battles of LOTR. I felt like JRR wasn't detailed enough when it came to the action but PJ makes it completly epic. In the theatre my heart was in my throat has Saurons army was outside helms deep. What about the ENTS??? Fo goodness sake they could been been uterly ridicoulous. Somehow PJ made the ents more stunning than anything previously conceived in my imagination. I was in awe of them. Pj has made a masterpiece. The people on these posts should consider themselves extremly lucky if PJ continues to adapt Tolkiens work to the screen. Remember, ITs got to work as a movie. Just imagine how much you would be complaining if the movies were done by some god awful director and production team.