The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2004, 08:35 PM   #1
2nd Breakfast

Maiar in physical form

Hey everybody. This is my first time here and I was wondering if anyone could explain something to me. I know that by taking physical form the Istari were reduced in power. However, why was Sauron more powerful in physical form, for example in the battle with the Last Alliance or as Wolf-Sauron, than in his original spirit form as the Eye of Sauron? Since they are both Maiar, why were the Istari less powerful as physical beings and more powerful as spirits, and Sauron was less powerful as a spirit and more powerful as a physical being? Were the Istari simply holding back as commanded by the Valar? Was it simply in the fact that they chose the forms of old men instead of serpents or wolves like Sauron? If anyone could help me figure this out, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks a bunch.
Old 03-01-2004, 09:05 PM   #2
Gil Galad
Haunting Spirit

Gil Galad has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Gil Galad Send a message via Yahoo to Gil Galad
Interesting point, while the Valar commanded the istari not to challange Sauron directly, it doesn't mean that they were any less powerful in any form. I think Sauron was less powerful in spirit form, because he mingled his blood with the ring, so to speak. He could only regain full strength if he got the ring back. I think the Istari are the same height in power in any form, the Valar only told them not to challange Sauron directly, but let the people of middle earth defeat him themselves. I also think they chose old men, is because the elders symbolize wiseness.

hope this helps!

Certainty of death, small chance of success... what are we waiting for?- Gimli ROTK
Gil Galad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 05:17 AM   #3
Earendilyon
Wight

Earendilyon has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Quote:
[The Istari] were forbidden to reveal themselves in forms of majesty, or to seek to rule the wills of Men and Elves by open display of power, but coming in shapes weak and humble were bidden to advise and persuade Men and Elves to good, and to seek to unite in love and understanding all those whom Sauron, should he come again, would endeavour to dominate and corrupt. - Unfinished Tales, Part IV, ii: The Istari.
So, that Valar did not allow the Istari to reveal themselves in all their majesty.

As for Sauron being weaker while in spirit form, he had put much of his power into the One Ring, so his spirit was much less powerful as before. Also, he was killed at the end of the Second Age, which means that it was much harder for him to rebuilt his body than when he had relinquished his body out of himself.
Furthermore, incarnated Maiar (Valar also btw) tend to get to love their bodies so much (when they wear it long that they are much more connected to it and even depending on it and can't do without it (see also Morgoth). So, the first thing Sauron would do when loosing his body is to try and rebuilt his body, which takes a lot of (spiritual) energy. During the Third Age it took even longer, because he had lost his Ring.

Dominus Anulorum

TolkienGateway - large Tolkien encyclopedia.
Earendilyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 05:56 AM   #4
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
see here

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 04:21 PM   #5
lore_master
Wight

lore_master has just left Hobbiton.
also, Sauron's real or "spiritial" form was not the great eye, the Aniur's(Valar and Miar) real forms were not visible, except for maybe a white/light light blue or red almost translucent flame.

I agree that Sauron's blodd mingled with the ring and he needed it to regain the strength he once had.
Old 03-04-2004, 07:23 AM   #6
Potatothan
Haunting Spirit

Potatothan has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Quote:
except for maybe a white/light light blue or red almost translucent flame.
Well could the flaming eye be a mix of his spiritual form and his translucent flame form? (just giving it a name, so sue me) Since he was building up his body again. But why would he stay as the great eye? He didn't need the ring to get his body back. I mean we aren't talking something lame as Voldemort here. So why didn't he take physical form yet? If he had the strength to rebuild Barad-Dur and an army great enough to conquer Middle-Earth, why not make a body?

~Potatothan
Old 03-04-2004, 09:49 AM   #7
Nirvana II
Wight

Nirvana II has just left Hobbiton.
hey breakfast......in my forum Evil Things i talk about Maiar in physical form (eg. the ones who joined Morgoth)

Вы - пончик желе!

Я оказался снова.

Частное сообщение меня, если Вы понимаете.
Nirvana II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 11:41 AM   #8
Gurthang
Sword of Spirit

Gurthang has just left Hobbiton.
I don't think that Sauron could regain his lost physical forms. I seem to remember a passage that says at the fall of Numenor, he lost his shape and could no longer appear fair to the eyes of men. That seems to suggest that he could not make that form again. I know that this is found in the Silmarillion, but I don't remember the exact text, and I don't have a copy handy. If someone could find that passage, that would be great.

As to being less powerful, I think that it is somewhat coincedental. In one instance, he needed to take the form of a wolf, because that was the only creature that would defeat Huor(I think that's his name). Other times, I think he thought that fear was more important than being powerful, after all, he could easily defeat many people with only a fraction of his power. But I also agree that the ring took some of his spiritual power.
Old 03-04-2004, 04:47 PM   #9
Silmiel of Imladris
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmiel of Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Silmiel of Imladris
Question

Since we are on the topic of the Maiar I would like to ask a question about Melian. Why was she so different from the wizards?

Figwit on his name: Are you suggesting that I have the wit of a fig?
Silmiel of Imladris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 08:12 PM   #10
Legolas
A Northern Soul

Legolas has just left Hobbiton.
She took on her physical body voluntarily just as any other Ainur could...not being evil or sent on a specific mission with restrictions on use of power, she was free to do whatever she desired.
Old 03-05-2004, 02:15 PM   #11
Potatothan
Haunting Spirit

Potatothan has just left Hobbiton.
Sauron's form

Quote:
don't think that Sauron could regain his lost physical forms. I seem to remember a passage that says at the fall of Numenor, he lost his shape and could no longer appear fair to the eyes of men.
Indeed he couldn't appear "fair" but could appear then. Just not in a nice gentle form. But since he already took the form of an evil eye, no need to appear suddenly fair now would there?

~Potatothan
Old 03-05-2004, 07:40 PM   #12
Gurthang
Sword of Spirit

Gurthang has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

Yeah that's what I meant, not only did he lose that particular form, but it seems that he lost any that could be considered fair. (Although I do think that a flaming eye is pretty cool) But I don't know that that would have decreased his power.