The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-12-2005, 11:38 PM   #41
Elessar907

Sting

Most of the changes in the movies I really liked. The only ones I didn't like was in ROTK with the whole Gandalf/Witch-king thing. But now that I stop to think about it, there are probably a few little tiny things that may bother have bothered me throughout the movies. But what absolutely did not bother me at all, was at the end of ROTK where King Elessar bows before the four hobbits who helped save Middle-Earth from utter doom. At least I don't think that it's in the book. If it is, then my humblest appologies. The other scene that I was least bothered by (even though many other fans hated it) would be is the Elves at Helm's Deep.
Old 01-13-2005, 09:34 AM   #42
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Guinevere is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally posted by Elessar907

... at the end of ROTK where King Elessar bows before the four hobbits who helped save Middle-Earth from utter doom. At least I don't think that it's in the book.
It is not at the coronation, but on the field of Cormallen, and only to Sam and Frodo
Quote:
And then to Sam's surprise and utter confusion he bowed his knee before them; and taking them by the hand, Frodo upon his right and Sam upon his left, he led them to the throne
But I don't mind in the least that they have left that chapter out and have it happen in Minas Tirith at the coronation.

What bothers me most, are the changed characters (like Frodo, Faramir, Denethor and Gandalf! (This would also have grieved Tolkien most! see letter 210)

However I've been reconciled to a few changes : at first it bothered me that Aragorn was portreyed so full of doubts, and not wanting to become king (in FotR EEand TTT) But then I understood that they probably did this to make it quite clear that he had no desire for power, (and therefore he could resist the Ring) so I can accept that change.
Old 01-13-2005, 09:41 AM   #43
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Essex has just left Hobbiton.
Elessar, the bit where Aragorn knels before the hobbits (Frodo and Sam) is one of my favourite bits in the books, and my favourite scene in the Films. I must admit I cried like a baby the first time I saw it on screen, and it still brings a tear to my eye on the umpteenth viewing.

PS I stated this before on another thread, but if the Elves were at Helm's Deep fighting with Men, why didn't Galadriel call the fight at Mount Doom at the start of FOTR The Penultimate Alliance!!!
Essex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 05:17 PM   #44
Assasin
Wight

Assasin has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I liked how PJ changed Aragorn. He was much cooler in the movies. I also didn't mind the cutting out of Tom Bombadil and Goldberry. It was a good part of the books, but would have added unnecessary length to the movies.
Old 01-26-2005, 05:40 AM   #45
Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Scent of Simbelmynė

Sophia the Thunder Mistress has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sophia the Thunder Mistress
a very minor point, I admit

I'll put in a good word for the interactions between Grima and Eowyn. I thought they rounded out the character of Grima a little bit. When he had something of a motive it was easier to accept his betrayal of Rohan. Overall he's one of the characters I have the hardest time accepting as originally portrayed, and while I won't say I liked him better this way, I will say it didn't do him any harm.

I also liked seeing Eowyn's genuine grief and concern for Theodred when he was just brought in. There are several scenes that make the Rohirrim a lot more human than they might otherwise seem, and this is one of the best.
The seasons fall like silver swords, the years rush ever onward; and soon I sail, to leave this world, these lands where I have wander'd. O Elbereth! O Queen who dwells beyond the Western Seas, spare me yet a little time 'ere white ships come for me!
Sophia the Thunder Mistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 08:25 PM   #46
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
I was fine with Bombadil being excluded, just because having him in there would have completely ruined the flow of the movie, and to do it justice it probably would have added about an additional hour on to the running time.

I also didn't mind the Scouring being gone, just because it too would have ruined flow. And besides most of the general public had a hard enough time with the exsisting ending, and how long it goes on to them (of course it's not long enough for me )

Most of the changes were made for a reason, but I still dislike many of the changes in TTT. Most of the other changes I either enjoyed, or can simply stand.
Old 02-13-2005, 10:40 PM   #47
Garen LiLorian
Wight

Garen LiLorian has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Garen LiLorian
Hmmm... Changes I wasn't bothered by. Well, the ones that leap to mind, and I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned very much, are the changes to Boromir's character. I think PJ was really at his best with the humble aspects of the story (like the Shire, and Sam) and Boromir benefited greatly from this. I didn't like him very much in the books, and I felt he pretty much deserved what he got In the movie, however, Boromir is kind, friendly, helpful, valiant and legitimately wants to help his people. The scenes on Caradhras were great, and possibly my favorite moment in the whole trilogy was Mr. Bean's description of Gondor. (ok, so the words were more or less there in the book, but the scene wasn't)

And I'll throw in that Bombadil didn't really need to happen, and I was fine with his cut. Likewise for the Scouring of the Shire, the Barrow Downs, Arwen instead of Glorfindel, (although Frodo still should have been riding Asfaloth by himself) Saruman's death (seeing as how the Scouring was out) and a few other things I can't really remember at the moment.

But on the whole, these things are far outweighed by things like the Ents being hasty and tricked, the Elves at Helm's Deep (There were perfectly good Rangers avaliable! And Elladan and Elrohir can be the token Elves! Then we don't have to wonder how Elrond got to Dunharrow in a matter of days when it took the Fellowship months) The whole Warg/cliff-diving sequence, Faramir and Denethor, The Army of the Dead, Gandalf's staff being broken... Well, you see my point.
This is my quest, to follow that star; no matter how hopeless, no matter how far. To fight for the right, without question or pause. To be willing to march into Hell for a Heavenly cause! -Man of La Mancha
Garen LiLorian is offline   Reply With Quote