The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-15-2001, 09:32 PM   #1
Orald
Shadow of Malice

Orald has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Orald Send a message via Yahoo to Orald
Sting Which Character do you Identify with the best?

I am curious to which characters from ME that people in this forum identify with the best, a ME litmus test if you will.

Now this is not your favorite, but who you feel you most resemble, so please post away.
Orald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2001, 01:30 AM   #2
Elrian
Eldar Spirit of Truth

Elrian has just left Hobbiton.
White-Hand

Ah, a dead elf. [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]
I'll stick to Old Toby and a Hobbit hole.*~*
Elrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2001, 01:41 PM   #3
amyrlis
Wight

amyrlis has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Durelen, this topic came up once before...here's what I said [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] :

I would have to say that I identify most with Eowyn. Being a woman in a (somewhat) man's world. Also, feeling the pain of un-requited love, but moving forward to find new happiness. She is a deep character who feels very real to me

But I would most like to be like Legolas. I love his demeanor and personality, his skill, and his loyalty. The war he is taking part in is not for the elves, win or lose, they will fade into the West. Never-the-less, Legolas fights tirelessly and valaintly.
Old 10-16-2001, 09:46 PM   #4
Orald
Shadow of Malice

Orald has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Orald Send a message via Yahoo to Orald
Sting

i thought i remembered a similar topic but wasn't quite sure if it asked the same question or someone just took a tangent and it ended up like that.

Anyway, I forgot to mention who I thought I identified best with. I think Bombadil, when I am around my friends and family i am pretty ironic and very sarcastic(although it is very easy to miss if you don't know me)silly at times and rarely serious. I also have a large store of useless information just like Tom, which I often screw up. Many more comparisons, I don't really think I need to get into at the moment.
Orald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2001, 04:40 PM   #5
Elanor
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elanor has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I remember this topic too. I feel a bit like poor old Pippin - tries hard, often gets things wrong and makes a mess of things, out of his depth, not the brightest bulb in the box, but very well meaning and loves his friends.

What about all the recent newcomers?
Old 10-28-2001, 07:22 AM   #6
Eowyn of Ithilien
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eowyn of Ithilien has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Eowyn...but parts of me resemble Arwen and Galadriel too...can someone take the "recently turned into a corpse" part offff my name please :P
Eowyn is outwardly strong...but inwardly hurt...she loves an ideal until Faramir reveals what it is to love someone truly...the man not the enigma
But of bliss and glad life there is little to be said, before it ends; as works fair and wonderful, while still they endure for eyes to see, are their own record, and only when they are in peril or broken for ever do they pass into song.
Eowyn of Ithilien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2001, 09:04 PM   #7
Elrian
Eldar Spirit of Truth

1420!

Welcome to the Barrow Eowyn of Ithilien!
Were all dead here, spooks of our former selves so to speak.

[img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

[ October 28, 2001: Message edited by: Elrian ]
Old 10-30-2001, 07:24 AM   #8
Eowyn of Ithilien
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

[img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] thankyou...lol do we congregate in the graveyards???? *please say no*
But of bliss and glad life there is little to be said, before it ends; as works fair and wonderful, while still they endure for eyes to see, are their own record, and only when they are in peril or broken for ever do they pass into song.
Old 10-30-2001, 07:27 AM   #9
Telchar
Stonehearted Dwarf Smith

Telchar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

We're all in the Downs - and we Loooooooveee IT!!! [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
Old 10-30-2001, 08:28 AM   #10
Eowyn of Ithilien
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

*sighs* do I haveeee to be a pile of bones??? having my cranium next to my ulna isn't the greatest look :/ [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 10-31-2001, 09:47 AM   #11
onewhitetree
Seeker of Syntax

onewhitetree has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to onewhitetree
Sting

Without question, it's Shelob for me. "Man's world" indeed! Hah! It's my world, and don't you forget it, or I'll spray you with flesh-eating sinews and drag you off to my black hole!

Before you contradict, consider my solipsist view of the world and ask yourself if it's really worth the trouble.

Well, I'M BACK.
onewhitetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2001, 09:58 AM   #12
latando angaina
Pile O'Bones

latando angaina has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Fatty Bolger definetely [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
latando angaina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2001, 01:11 PM   #13
Yavanna
Newly Deceased

Yavanna has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Yavanna
Sting

Oddly enough, Frodo...Can't say that I've saved the world (lately [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] ) but there are times that I feel like I see things and think about things that alienate me from the more jovial around me. But when it comes down to it, I can get my grub on and sing bath songs with the best of them!

And the elves, any of them. But alas, another boring story.... [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Yavanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2001, 07:41 AM   #14
latando angaina
Pile O'Bones

Sting

er, any of them, indeed? even Maeglin, or, maybe even Curufin also [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

[img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-03-2001, 07:48 PM   #15
shieldmaiden
Wight

shieldmaiden has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

I am female and I have suicidal thoughts so it must be Eowyn. Not many women to choose from.
Old 11-04-2001, 12:32 AM   #16
Elrian
Eldar Spirit of Truth

Silmaril

Quote:
Originally posted by Eowyn of Ithilien:
<STRONG> [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] thankyou...lol do we congregate in the graveyards???? *please say no*</STRONG>
Hey, That's a great idea!! We can spook out some fleshies!!!

[img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]

You don't have to go if you don't want to! [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Old 11-04-2001, 01:28 AM   #17
Yavanna
Newly Deceased

Yavanna has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Yavanna
Sting

[img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Ok, you got me, not just any elf... A cool elf, how about that? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Yavanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2001, 05:08 AM   #18
latando angaina
Pile O'Bones

Sting

yes, er, cool elves are... cool [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 11-04-2001, 02:07 PM   #19
Maeglin
Wight

Maeglin has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Ofcourse it's boring but I really identify my self with Frodo. He carries the burdon to dark countries where danger awaits.
That's how I feel sometimes. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

However, I'm NOT walking around sad all my time and then i feel more like Maeglin, somehowe [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img].
Old 11-04-2001, 04:09 PM   #20
Kin-strife
Haunting Spirit

Kin-strife has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I identify most with that fox that came upon the company sleeping in the woods in "three is company" because of his incredible insignificance. Or perhaps Pippin because he's fond of beer. But more seriously Ilùvatar because I am god.
Old 11-05-2001, 02:54 PM   #21
Eowyn of Ithilien
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

ohhhhhh no I've given Elrian an idea
LEAVE THE POOR MORTALS ALONE
[img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-10-2001, 03:40 AM   #22
Alaitioc

Sting

I'd say a male elf bowman.Only because sometimes my friends say I look like an elf (in a nice way :-)) and I do archery. Also because I do not have THAT many friends, just a few close ones.
Old 11-11-2001, 01:44 PM   #23
jdraper

Sting

I'm probably like one of thranduil's wood-elves, untrusting, with dark locks, and I'm pretty damn cool! [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
SEE YEZ!
Old 11-12-2001, 09:46 PM   #24
Yenwyn

Shield

All my life I'm breaking between Eowyn and Merry. To be honest, Eowyn is whom I'd rather like to be like. Merry is more what I really AM.

...Well, he's cynical and dark from time to time (lol, VERY dark, he just doesn't show his feelings). On the other hand, people call him 'Merry' and not without a reason. He IS merry, really, or better, he makes other people so. Um, sarcasm can be funny, don't you think?

Brave when it's needed...

From time to time feeling all alone and depressive (um, remember the ride of the Rohirrim?)

So...that's my life...shortyl. [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]
Old 12-19-2001, 05:18 AM   #25
Narsil13

Sting

I think perhaps Boromir, I see in him human failings and judgements clouded by passion and ambission. Hes mortal and has always stood out in my readings as my favorite.

I love his bravery and frailty, his want to do good and his final doom that reminds me of our mortality.

Boromir.

[ December 19, 2001: Message edited by: Narsil ]
Old 12-19-2001, 06:34 AM   #26
Fenrir
Wight

Fenrir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Snaga [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

[ December 19, 2001: Message edited by: Fenrir ]
Old 12-22-2001, 04:52 PM   #27
Azaelia of Willowbottom
Shade of Carn Dûm

Azaelia of Willowbottom has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Azaelia of Willowbottom
Silmaril

I think I identify most with Pippin, even though I am a girl. I think this because I try to do things well, but I always screw up and make a fool of myself. Example:
My Dad: Zaelia,(not my real name)Are you deaf?!
Me:What? [blushes at what I just said without thinking, and tries to hide under the table]
I also tend to get myself into trouble. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] I'm not the best behaved kid in the world [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
I learn the hard way, usually by getting grounded [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
I think I also just have the personality of a hobbit: doesn't like change usually, I have a general love of life... But like Pippin, I wouldn't say "no" to an adventure.
Old 12-23-2001, 11:41 PM   #28
silme-ranaa
Animated Skeleton

silme-ranaa has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to silme-ranaa
as much as i'd like to resemble somebody wiser, i'd have to admit that i resemble the fool of a Took himself.Just as silly and careless.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. unknown
silme-ranaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2001, 08:00 PM   #29
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Eye

Although I am a girl, my flawed character, and my need to comfort, lead me to identify with Boromir. And as it's been said before, Pippin, who has a taste for beer, is close to my heart as well. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Still, Galadriel, as portrayed by Cate Blanchett, strangely enough, reminded a few of my friends of me, as they told me after seeing the movie. Maybe it has something to do with my complexion, my eyes, or the way I am when I am mad. Go figure.
-Lush
Old 12-25-2001, 11:51 PM   #30
MaryChristmas

Sting

I think I identify most with Sam, even though I'm a girl (and I like animals better than plants) I am extremely loyal to my friends, and I would love to really truly meet an elf [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

I'm new btw (though I'm sure you've all noticed that)
Old 12-26-2001, 01:22 AM   #31
Eriol

Sting

Cant decide..... Legolas Greenleaf or Aragorn (as King Elessar)
Old 12-26-2001, 01:28 AM   #32
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Marileangorifurnimaluim has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Frodo.

My life is similar to his, believe it or not. I was faced with a choice between losing everything, my home, my job, my family, my friends, to help those who would never thank me for it, would in fact hate me. There was no reason for me to take action, except that it was the only right thing I could do. It was the only thing that was right, it would neutralize to a large degree a sociopath.

I was told by my allies "wow, you're brave - don't mention my name." I wish I had Sam frankly!

Of course there was no ring or cracks of doom, instead it involved the police, the FBI, the IRS, the States Attorney, two magazine articles and a book to keep people out of a really bad situation. I understand those who read my story find themselves cheering for me, that's what the author said, but for myself I was just quietly going forward knowing full well the price I would pay. I couldn't even admit for one moment that I didn't want to, because even that would weaken my resolve too much.

Didn't save the world, it concerned about 75 people give or take. Not that they know it, or that it matters if they do. I find I don't care, because I knew going in that wasn't relevant. Even if it hadn't worked it's about doing the right thing at any cost, you see? Not even the hope of success.

Now it's over, and I find that despite my happy peaceful life now, there are some wounds that don't heal. Like Frodo I automatically expected I could carry on where I left off after all was said and done and find that's not true. Probably Tolkien knew that from his own life. I don't regret a thing, and would do the same (though it would be a lot harder knowing in advance what it would be like!) But still, you can't go through something like that and not be fundamentally changed. I know firsthand Frodo was quietly very happy he passed the test of his courage and heart, happy to see others safe, but he was tired, like I am. And to explain why, well, it's rather heavy now isn't it? He didn't want the attention because it was another burden, and too much. Trouble is, once you've passed one major moral test, there a thousand little ones to follow and you just want to rest. Escape for a while.

-Maril

[ December 26, 2001: Message edited by: Marileangorifurnimaluim ]
Old 12-26-2001, 05:49 PM   #33
Lush
Fair and Cold

Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Eye

Wow Marilean (won't type the rest of your name because my fingers are getting tired), you didn't think that if you posted this you wouldn't get us all intrigued? I am personally quite curious now!
Old 12-26-2001, 05:50 PM   #34
Lush
Fair and Cold

Sting

Quote:
Originally posted by Eriol:
<STRONG>Cant decide..... Legolas Greenleaf or Aragorn (as King Elessar)</STRONG>
Aiiieeee....Legolas! Why Legolas?
-Lush
Old 12-26-2001, 08:31 PM   #35
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Silmaril

Hi Lush!
No actually, I thought you'd be bored "yeah-yeah-yeah, another windy post Maril [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] - who I identify with is..!"

The simple version: I brought down a rich and powerful "bad guy," a dangerous wacko. And scared the **** out of the States Attorney.

[ December 26, 2001: Message edited by: Marileangorifurnimaluim ]
Old 12-26-2001, 11:52 PM   #36
Lush
Fair and Cold

Sting

It's about time someone started scaring the &%$# out of attorneys! They have too long a history of scaring the %$#@ out of us!
All kidding asie, you did a brave thing. I have felt firsthand the devastation that occure when rich, powerful bad guys run the show. We need more people like you, in all parts of the world, especially where I come from.
I guess in what you did, the comparison between you and Frodo is appropriate. Although I'm sure you are a bit taller. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-27-2001, 02:30 PM   #37
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Silmaril

hahahahahahahaha! Taller? Actually no! Frodo and I would see eye to eye, or close to it. I certainly couldn't see over the top of Pippin's head were he blocking my view. But I'm not solid enough to make a hobbit of any kind - or ent despite the long nomme de guerre.

But I was thinking less of the circumstances and more of just understanding the mindset, especially after all is said and done.

-Maril

PS, in all fairness the States Attorney was a decent guy: "You've really stirred up a hornets nest. Do you know how many lawyers I'm dealing with - everyone has one! Even witnesses. Isn't anyone one on your side?" Leaned back, smiling: "Nope." He shook his head in disbelief. "What I'm worried about is your safety, more than anything else."

Funny I said anything. I usually don't talk about it, no one at work knows a thing. Anonymity I guess.

[ December 27, 2001: Message edited by: Marileangorifurnimaluim ]
Old 12-27-2001, 04:39 PM   #38
shireGirl

Sting

I haven't read the books in a few years and just started again this week. So, I feel a little hasty answering before all the characters are clear in my mind. But Marin sparked a connection for me, between myself and Frodo.

I feel most like Frodo when he is about 1/4 of the way through the journey. He started off innocent and unproved but still aware of life outside his dwellings (at least more that Pippin or Merry, due to Bilbo's and Gandalf's influence). Then he began to complete some the journey and he realized how little he truly knew and how small each of his strides were. At the same time, he gained the knowledge that although his strides were short, they were also meaningful as long as they took him towards his goal.

That's where I am now. I may be a small part of a vast universe but I will find my way.
Old 12-27-2001, 06:09 PM   #39
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
1420!

Quote:
It's about time someone started scaring the &%$# out of attorneys!
Careful Lush! You may offend Wights in high places! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Maril, sounds like a story I'd like to hear also.

Who do I relate to most? Hmmmm. Maybe Cirdan, doing my part in my own way while watching the world turn.
Old 12-27-2001, 06:49 PM   #40
Lush
Fair and Cold

Sting

Quote:
Originally posted by Mithadan:
<STRONG>

Careful Lush! You may offend Wights in high places! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Maril, sounds like a story I'd like to hear also.

Who do I relate to most? Hmmmm. Maybe Cirdan, doing my part in my own way while watching the world turn.</STRONG>
Indeed, I haven't been here a week, and I am already jumping down people's throats! Nothing to be proud of, of course, but sometimes it's hard to keep the conversation going without a little offensive material. I guess I am no Hobbit in that regard then... [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]