The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-20-2004, 06:16 PM   #1
Burzdol
Shade of Carn Dûm

Burzdol has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Drow?

Drow are supposively(as in other books) dark elves. The had dark skin, white hair, and violet or reddish eyes. Tolkien says nothing about this barbaric raqce, or did I miss something? I've obsessed with the drow since I started to read R.A. Salvatore's books with Drizzt Do'Urden in them. Thanks for any info.
Old 01-20-2004, 07:22 PM   #2
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

The Barrow-Wight is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Tolkien

From what I know, drow started with Dungeons and Dragons in the late 1970's and did not exist before then. That may not be entirely correct, but they definitely did not exist in Tolkien's Middle-earth. There were Dark Elves, the Moriquendi, who were the Elves that never made the journey to Aman and never saw the light of The Two Trees - thus 'dark' elves.
Old 01-21-2004, 04:15 AM   #3
Angry Brandybuck
Haunting Spirit

Angry Brandybuck has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think the Drow have their roots, as do the Elves and the Dwarrows (the REAL pluraul of dwarf), far back in Nordic Legends. Saying that they were 'invented' in some way by the makers of D&D is a bit shortsighted.

I think it is probable that Tolkein left them out of his 'Mythology' because that would take away from the idea that Elves were not really aligned in wny way, good or evil. They are always aloof from situations.

The Uruks, in a way, take the place of the Drow, being descended from 'twisted' elves.
Old 01-21-2004, 01:25 PM   #4
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

The Barrow-Wight is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
White-Hand

Though I fail to see the shortsightedness of my opinion above (considering I was looking back rather than forward), I did take the time to google a while, and I found only TSR-inspired drow. The idea of drow may very well have originated in antiquity, but as far as modern examples go, they all spring from Dungeons and Dragons and not from Tolkien. If they do come from old Nordic sagas, I would love to read them, but since we've agreed that drow do not pertain to Middle-earth, there's really no reason to continue this topic.