The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-07-2000, 12:00 AM   #41
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Mister Underhill has been trapped in the Barrow!
Ring

<BR> Re: What is with the Arwen dolls ?</b><br><br> Viggo Mortenson (aka Aragorn, aka that hunky underwear model stud) is a good piece of casting, in my book. He has an unusual mixture of toughness, inscrutability, intelligence, and intensity. Check him out as the Navy SEAL D.I. in G.I. Jane</b>. He can play the good guy with an edge. <p></p>
Mister Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2000, 01:08 AM   #42
galpsi
The Unquiet Dead

galpsi has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<BR> Re: What is with the Arwen dolls ?</b><br><br> Fair enough, MU, I was just judging his face. But can you recommend something else for me to see him in. I can't abide the former Mrs. Willis. <p></p>
galpsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2000, 03:48 AM   #43
Gothmoga
Pile O'Bones

Gothmoga has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<BR> Re: What is with the Arwen dolls ?</b><br><br> If Viggo why not add Dolph? after all the dolls will be cheaper,one body with interchangeable heads..but Bean is def'superior casting as Boromir,thats the doll I want,,three arwens for a Boromir anyone?? <p> "They come slowly forth and Glare." <HTML><HEAD><TITLE>Creating a Simple link</TITLE></HEAD><A HREF="http://pub23.ezboard.com/bminasmorgul">Minas Morgul,</A></BODY></HTML></p>
Gothmoga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2000, 12:00 PM   #44
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Ring

<BR> Re: What is with the Arwen dolls ?</b><br><br> I feel your pain, galpsi, but I would stick with Jane to get the best read on how appropriate VM is for Aragorn. He’s also in &quot;Crimson Tide&quot;, the submarine movie, as the Weapons Officer who gets caught in the middle between Denzel and Hackman’s conflicting orders on firing the sub’s nukes, and in “A Perfect Murder”, but I’d avoid that one even more than G.I. Jane, which is directed by Ridley Scott and so is not without some redeeming value. He’s in a few others, but they’re mostly smaller parts or ones I haven’t seen and can’t speak to. In Jane, his Master Chief is stern and tough, but not without compassion. I think of the scene at the Prancing Pony when Aragorn has to yell at the Hobbits to get them to see how serious the situation is. <br> <br> Isn't Dolph already committed to a He-Man sequel? <p></p>
Old 09-09-2000, 10:15 PM   #45
galpsi
The Unquiet Dead

galpsi has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<BR> Re: What is with the Arwen dolls ?</b><br><br> Thanks for taking the trouble to give me the bad news personally. Maybe I'll be lucky and the movie won't be available locally on DVD. Then I'll just take your word for it. <p></p>
galpsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2000, 01:56 PM   #46
Lady Eowyn
Haunting Spirit

Lady Eowyn has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<BR> Re: What are your thought on the movies?</b><br><br> I'm really looking forward to see the movies.<br> Especially because my husband can't run away from it anymore. He refuses to read the books.<br> The only thing I'm not gonna like is the hole Arwen as Warrior thing.<br> But to say the hole story short I'm dying to see those movies. <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://www.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_profile&u=00000065>Lady Eowyn</A> Edited by: 9/14/00 4:10:11 pm<br></i>
Lady Eowyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2000, 08:30 PM   #47
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Ring

<BR> Re: What are your thought on the movies?</b><br><br> Great to see you in the forum, Lady E! Well met! Why Faramir doesn't want to read the books, I can't imagine (maybe he feels slighted by his relatively small amount of &quot;screen time&quot;?), but keep on posting anyway. <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://www.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_profile&u=00000005>Mister Underhill</A> Edited by: 9/17/00 12:00:27 am<br></i>
Old 09-18-2000, 10:47 AM   #48
JesTheJade
Quizmaster

JesTheJade has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<BR>Hullo There!</b><br><br> Hullo Everyone! <br> <br> I as well am nearly busting at the seems waiting for this movie!! A whole year?? But I am fairly new at all of this. I just read The Hobbit this summer and am currently smack dab in the middle of The Two Towers right now! It is wonderful!! I have met a lot of people who read these books when they were kids and therefore don't have very much interest in them. I guess it's because they seem like kid books to them having read them when they did. I am glad I am just now reading them. However, I read A Wrinkle in Time, which really is more a kids book, in the 5th grade and just recently went back and read it. It was great! Okay, I guess I've rambled enough, so I'll just ramble on...<br> <br> It's good to be here!<br> <br> P.S. Lady E...I'm sorry to hear about your hubby...talk some sense into the man!! <br> <br> Jes<br> <br> <a href="mailto: GrahamTheGrey@aol.com"> GrahamTheGrey@aol.com</a> <p></p>
JesTheJade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2000, 10:54 AM   #49
coprophage7
Pile O'Bones

coprophage7 has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<BR> Marketing woes....</b><br><br> Ah marketing, the great sparkle take away-er. I now feel worried about this whole movie-deal because I, like others, don't like the idea of excessive TLOTR products. It makes things so commercial, and, stuff, and..... I'm too disgruntled to think.<br> <br> I guess I can sum it up this way (forgive the following name-dropping):<br> <br> This little kid I used to babysit was having his birthday and I went to the Warner Brothers store to get him some Pokemon cards, because I had been watching him for five years and wanted to get him something. I walked in and was greeted by a barrage of Harry Potter stuff. I felt so horrible that they (Product-makers) took such a great children's book series and commercialized it. Quite an odd feeling I know I'll get again when TLOTR comes out. <p></p>
coprophage7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2000, 11:46 AM   #50
JesTheJade
Quizmaster

Ring

<BR> Re: Marketing woes....</b><br><br> I hear ya, cop. In fact, with nothing to do with the movie, I believe that there are already many toys and figures dealing with the Lord of the Rings out there. I know I have heard of a Bilbo figurine that comes with a green blanket with a white tree on it. We have no idea why...for my part, all I remember Bilbo having was that green hood and cloak. But a white tree? Nah...<br> <br> Anyway, you can probably expect plenty of merchandise (unfortunately) on the movie. Figurines galore, I'm sure with plenty of Orc ones for kids to fight using their Gandalf and Aragorn figurines....oh boy... <br> <br> Jes<br> <br> <p><a href=mailto:GrahamTheGrey@aol.com>GrahamTheGrey@ao l.com</a></p>
Old 09-19-2000, 11:58 AM   #51
quam
Haunting Spirit

quam has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<BR> okay,but</b><br><br> after all,some 2 months after the film release,all that merchandise stuff will be gone,but a lot of people will have seen the film and started reading the books,which is certainly a good thing, and for that I'm willing to endure those stupid dolls and warriors and other idiot things. <p></p>
quam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2000, 12:18 PM   #52
JesTheJade
Quizmaster

Ring

<BR> Re: okay,but</b><br><br> I hear ya, quam. Not only will there be more people reading the books, but perhaps even more folk will wander to the Barrow Downs and join in our discussions! I can't wait for the movies! <p>Jes<br><br>I usually watch over <a href=http://www.barrowdowns.com>The Barrow Downs</a> and <a href=http://pub8.ezboard.com/bthelotrmoviesite>The White Council Discussion Board</a>.<br><br><a href=mailto:GrahamTheGrey@aol.com>GrahamTheGrey@ao l.com</a></p>
Old 05-07-2003, 12:11 PM   #53
Arvedui
Haunting Spirit

Arvedui has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<P>In retrospect, what are your thoughts post Fellowship and Two Towers?<P>And what do you think of and say to folks who have seen the movies, and then read the books and ask "Where's Arwen? Where's the elves at Helms Deep?"<p>[ May 07, 2003: Message edited by: Arvedui ]
When Elendil fell, Isildur departed to take up the high kingship of his father, and committed the rule of the south in like manner to the son of his brother. He did not relinquish his royalty in Gondor, nor intend that the realm of Elendil should be divided forever.
Arvedui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 07:04 PM   #54
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

You say, "The books were written first, so pay attention to them, not the movies." I thought PJ did a pretty good job on the movies, but of course I would've liked to have a few changes.
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 08:58 PM   #55
Liriodendron
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Liriodendron has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

You say, "That's how they did it in the movie, but the books are different. You should read them, they're great!"
Old 05-15-2003, 03:40 PM   #56
aragornreborn
Wight

aragornreborn has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well, I saw the movies first and then read the books. And I absolutely loved them. And even I whine at PJ and company for all the times they departed form the book! I do like the movies a whole lot, too. They are fantastic. But I like the books even more and don't feel that movies harmed my perception of LOTR in any way. Although, TTT the movie was rather disturbing. I did read all of them before I saw TTT, and for that I'm glad because they messed with a lot more in that one.
At the name of Jesus every knee should bow and every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord. - Phil. 2:10-11
aragornreborn is offline   Reply With Quote