The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-11-2002, 02:45 PM   #1
Lanniae of the Axe
Haunting Spirit

Lanniae of the Axe has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien The Few, The Proud....The Gimli fans!

Okay, admit it, Gimli's gotten a bad rep! In the movies, with such competition as Legless (woops!) Legolas, and Frodo played by Bloom and Wood (which I think are very good-looking, to say the least) no one gives Gimli a second thought. Except for the occasional teenie-bopper I meet that says Legolas is too good to hang with Gimli, which is not what I want to hear.

I also think people have got stuff against Dwarves in general! What's up with that?? [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img] So they're not the best looking of the bunch, but geez who said anything about
beauty = cool?? [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

So, here is where you come to talk about the poor, wounded, underrated (yet totally kickin') Gimli son of Gloin! And/or all Dwarves in general!

(Sorry, I just got sick of all the ga-ga over Legolas. I want some deep, intellectual conversations with TRUE Tolkien fans that don't like LOTR just cause of Legolas.) [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 05-11-2002, 07:28 PM   #2
Nufaciel
Wight

Nufaciel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I have nothing against Gimli. True, Legolas and Boromir are my faves, but it has nothing to do with their level of hotness, as hard as that may be to believe. I like Gimli. He makes me laugh, he's brave and valiant, he's loyal to the members of the fellowship, he cares about them, despite his gruff exterior. I've never though bad of Gimli, or most Dwarves.
Old 05-11-2002, 11:55 PM   #3
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

I think Gimli is great. He can find beauty in things that others shun (such as the caves). Dwarves also have great architectural taste (I think).
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2002, 04:23 AM   #4
Starbreeze
Ghost of a Smile

Starbreeze has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Starbreeze
Silmaril

Yes, I have nothing against Dwarves, I think that all the races of Middle Earth are great. I like Gimli coz of what Nufaciel and Tigerliliy said, and coz out of the Fellowship he contributed a lot but was overlooked. I also admire his fear in the Paths of the Dead. Its is more courageous to show your fear and not be ashamed, than to hide it and be scared about what people think.

To write is to make dreams, to make dreams is to awaken the fantasy of the mind, to awaken the mind is to be a master.
Starbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2002, 04:29 AM   #5
Daniel Telcontar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Daniel Telcontar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Although Gimli is not my favortie ME character, I think he is pretty cool.
And I think that dwarves generally are a cool race. They are really excellent smiths, and few weapons can be made better than those made by a dwarf. Also they are good at getting wealthy, which is a skill I would like to have!!!
They are not easily deceived by the enemy, like humans (and occasionally elves), and they have a great constitution and stamina.
All in all, dwarves are not that bad. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-12-2002, 06:20 AM   #6
Cimmerian
Shade of Carn Dûm

Cimmerian has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Cimmerian
Sting

Agreed, that dwarves are excellent characters in fantasy as they are often described as fierce fighters and good craftsmen.

Buy why then does no one play a dwarf in RPG?
We could use some of the best axe-weilders there.
Old 05-12-2002, 06:26 AM   #7
Daniel Telcontar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

That is a good question, Cimmerian.
I guess nobody loves dwarves so much they want to be them.
I must admit, I would feel a bit irritated with being a dwarf, due to its small stature. And maybe I am not the only one thinking so?
Old 05-13-2002, 07:40 AM   #8
Lanniae of the Axe
Haunting Spirit

Tolkien

Hey, I'm a dwarf all the time in RPG!

My alter-ego/RPG character Lanniae of the Axe is a half-elf adopted by Dwarves...and happens to be Gimli's step-sister! Woo!

Yeah, thanks you guys for all your input, this is a great discussion!

--Lanniae
Old 05-13-2002, 08:22 AM   #9
onewhitetree
Seeker of Syntax

onewhitetree has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to onewhitetree
Sting

Quote:
Sorry, I just got sick of all the ga-ga over Legolas. I want some deep, intellectual conversations with TRUE Tolkien fans that don't like LOTR just cause of Legolas.
Asking why everyone seems to have such an antipathy for Gimli is a surefire way to get deep, intellectual conversations in my book. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Gimli is portrayed quite a bit more uncivilized in the movie than he is in the book, and I'm sure his callousness of character has a lot to do with his lack of fan clubs.

Well, I'M BACK.
onewhitetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2002, 09:30 AM   #10
Cimmerian
Shade of Carn Dûm

Cimmerian has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Cimmerian
Eye

Lannae, we need dwarven warriors in the Freestyle RPGs rather misrably....
bring thy mighty war axe and hew away!
Old 05-13-2002, 09:36 AM   #11
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

The Dwarves were one of the three Elder races - along with the race of Elves and the race of Men. They considered themselves to be the Children Of Aulë, the Smith of the Valar. He gave them their ancient name, 'Khazad.

Of these three original races, they were the one most appreciative of the gifts that Middle Earth had to offer them. The were extraordinary craftspeople, and enjoyed the treasure of ME both in the finding of them and in the working of them into beautiful objects.

They were loyal, steadfast,industrious, and fierce. Also they could be jealous and grasping with regards to their possessions. The sort of people you would desire as friends and hate to have as enemies!

& as for knocking back a pint in a pub, they would be grand fun!! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 05-13-2002, 09:54 AM   #12
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Pipe

Waddaya mean Gimli's "not that bad"!?! Sez you! Gimli's one of my favorites. One of favorite scenes in the WHOLE book is when Gimli asks for and receives three strands of Galadriel's hair. Here is a guy who has a rough exterior but a heart of gold and a tongue of silver to go with it. Reminds me of me, and I'm only half joking. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Probably why I like him so much.
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2002, 01:06 PM   #13
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Raefindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Raefindel
Sting

Here's a treat for all you Gimli fans.Gimli art
and another,

[ May 13, 2002: Message edited by: Raefindel ]
and yet another , and one last one

gimli again

Old 05-13-2002, 01:49 PM   #14
Road Dog22
Pile O'Bones

Road Dog22 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Road Dog22 Send a message via AIM to Road Dog22
Sting

The Dwarves are my favorite of all the races and Gilmi is my favorite out of all the dwarves and all the other characters
Road Dog22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2002, 01:54 PM   #15
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

I really hope the movie does more with the friendship between Legolas and Gimli. Otherwise, you lose so much of the character of both these great heroes.

sharon, the 7th age hobbit
Old 05-13-2002, 04:34 PM   #16
Lanniae of the Axe
Haunting Spirit

Tolkien

Okay, I have a lot of replys to individual peoples:

onewhitetree, I'll give 'em a Gimli fanclub!! John Rhys-Davies rocks too!

Cimmerian... you mean to tell me that there's RPG at the Downs?? *gaps* Sorry I'm totally new. Will send you a private message so I don't bore everyone else w/ my Downs illeterateness (sp?).

Piosenniel, thanks for all that nifty info (although being obsessed I already knew *most* of it!) Thanks!!

Littlemanpoet should be my new best friend! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Raefindel, those pics RAWKED! the second one was totally kick-arse! Woo! Thanks!

RoadDog22 shoudl be my other new best friend LOL!

Sharon, last but not least, I SO totally agree. You 'n me, we'll go in in all our fury and send New Line Cinema heads rolling if they don't develop the Gimli/Legolas friendship more, 'k??? [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

Woo! later, guys! And again, thanks for making this a GREAT discussion!
Old 05-13-2002, 07:59 PM   #17
Gimli Son Of Gloin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Gimli Son Of Gloin has just left Hobbiton.
White-Hand

I saw my name and i wanted to see this. So all you people actually like me? Legolas has it all, looks, aim, pointy ears... All I have is a long beard and an axe, but give Leg. an axe and lock him in a room with 10 orcs, he's gone. Lock me in a room with 30 orcs I'm having roast orc for dinner an hour later. I always thought of myself of at least equal of Legolas. All the ladies are tripping to see Legolas, so all my fans out there (however few there may be), stick up for dwarves!
Old 05-13-2002, 08:25 PM   #18
Aosama, the Wandering Star
Wight

Aosama, the Wandering Star has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I always admired Gimli's little speech with Elrond before the Fellowship sets out...
Elrond: ...yet no oath or bond is laid on you to go ruther than you will. For you donot yet know the strength of your hearts, and you cannot forsee what each may meet upon the road.
Gimli: Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
Elrond: Maybe, but let him not vow to walk in the dark, who has not seen the nightfall.
Gimli: Yet sworn word may strengthen quaking heart.
Elrond: Or break it...
I always wondered about the rabid Legolas fans... Gimli has a lot of brain and heart behind the beard and the axe. He'll never let his friends down in a pinch, and is true to the end. Sure, he's proud, but that's what a Dwarf is like. He's not afraid of anything, least of all what others think. Go Gimli!
And Cimmerian, I would have been a Dwarf in the hobbit RPG, but I wanted to be a baddie... [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
Aosama, the Wandering Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2002, 08:46 PM   #19
Nimrodel
Haunting Spirit

Nimrodel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I love the friendship between Legolas and Gimli. They have such fun and each get the other to do thing they wouldn't have otherwise, Like the visit to the caves or ride a horse.
Old 05-14-2002, 09:06 AM   #20
Frodo Baggins
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Frodo Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Legless!!!!! Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!! that's funny. And of course we like you Gimli!! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] Even though Dwarves can be stubborn and hard to get along with at times (e.g. Thorin Oakenshield). They have great taste, and a wonderful eye for beauty. My favourite moment concerning Gimli is his conversation between Galadriel and him. and when he wept aloud as leaving Lorien (I wanted to as well). I agree, I'm getting sick of all this Legolas (Legless) ga-ga.
All that is gold does not glitter
Old 05-18-2002, 04:28 PM   #21
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

I love Gimli! Dwarves are my favorite race! I just happened to like Legolas's character in the books (six years ago, mind you, so: I'm not a traitor or the Orlando Bloom type...although I now am a fan of him) more. I like Gimli and Legolas as a pair more than anything...I love the interactions between them.

So: although I'm almost 15, and allowed to be a teeny-bopper about Orlando Bloom, I have a deeper like for the characters of Legolas and Gimli!
Old 05-18-2002, 08:25 PM   #22
Lindolirian
World's Tallest Hobbit

Lindolirian has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Gimli is really cool.... but, i'd hafta say that Dwalin is my fav dwarf.

By the way don't y'all think that we should have an axe pic up there yknow where i have the pic of the pipe by my name? We need an AXE!!!

yay for dwarves
Old 05-18-2002, 09:00 PM   #23
Gimli Son Of Gloin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Gimli Son Of Gloin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Thank you Lindolirian, there's an sword represting Aragorn, An arrow represting Legless, but no axe for Gimli Son Of Glóin. I've always thought of an axe up there and wished there could be.
Old 05-18-2002, 09:01 PM   #24
Vráin Redmallet
Pile O'Bones

Vráin Redmallet has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

An axe qould do good, but I'll use the sword for now because dwarves were good smiths. Gimli is one of my favorite characters as well. He is valiant, stout, proud, and can kick azzz... I would love to live among dwarves if I had a chance. I practically know the runes by heart. Vráain Redmallet is my Dwarven name. I love that name generator! That is the most entertaining thing I have found on the net. Seriously! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Vráin Redmallet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2002, 09:03 PM   #25
Vráin Redmallet
Pile O'Bones

Vráin Redmallet has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

By the way, where do y'all get all those smilies? I only have the basic ones... [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Vráin Redmallet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2002, 12:43 AM   #26
Joy
Spirit of a Warrior

Joy has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

By the way, does anyone have their favorite Gimli quotes typed? I would love to do a website just for the Gimli fans. I would be willing to host it on my own server.

Maybe one day there will be www.gimlifans.com I love his dialogue with Galadriel at the departure from Lothlórien. My mom wants me to type this and frame it with a picture of the two from the movie.

This suprised me, for my mom doesn't care for LotR. [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God. My soul thirsteth for God, for the living God: when shall I come and appear before God?
Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2002, 10:44 AM   #27
Lanniae of the Axe
Haunting Spirit

Tolkien

Oh yeah! Hey, hey, I forgot we have an ACTUALY "Gimli son of Gloin"! Wasaap! Woo! And I like your idea about Legolas being useless with an axe. Like in the movie in Moria when he tossed those huge axes to Boromir and Aragorn, I was thinking "no way Legolas can even LIFT those!" he's a flippin ARCHER!

Anywho...You guys are right, they should have a little axe icon. The first time I posted I wanted one, but have decided to just use the little Tolkien symbol (I love that!). Shows the devotion to LOTR and Tolkien in general and not just one thing/race. Although Dwarves and Hobbits and Men and Elves rock, yo.

Aosama, you're right, that quote is the best, or pretty close. Good ol' Dwarven sayings. Yes! I have that whole speech thing typed up in pretty letters pasted on my wall. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Woo!

See, I have this idea that Gimli isn't JUST "some barbaric warrior-dwarf". He doesn't focus all his time on that. He knows a lot of Dwarven lore, and he is a VERY good miner and builder. Of course he CAN fight, and of course he LOVES it and is really GOOD at it, but there are more warrior-like Dwarves out there. Although he was more chivilrous than many of the Thorin and Co. Dwarves in the Hobbit (I thought). Like King Dain, no matter how old the guy is.

Legolas and Gimli's relationship is SO cool! They are jsut so funny and cute! "Forty-two, Master Legolas!" For some reason when I first read that I laughed so hard! And it's jsut funny to see thier reactions to things...how different they are.

Like, does anyone recall when the Three Hunters reach Fangorn, Legolas is like, (paraphrasing) "Cool!" and Gimli replies, "Well, you're an Elf, and Elves are freaks, so of course you would like that." And then when they see the Glittering Caves, Gimli is all, "Whoa! Pretty!" and Legolas answers, "Well, you're a Dwarf, and Dwarves are freaks about that sort of thing." I thought that was so cool!! (note my bad paraphrasing skills) [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

Yeah. Frodo, glad you liked me nick-name. I lvoe Legolas, don't get me wrong, but I thought it was funny, and it definately clears out all the teenie-boppers.

The actual DWARVEN runes are hard, I don't get them, but my Tolkien buddy at school and I have memorized the Anglo-Saxon runes that Tolkein based them on, and we write each other notes in them so if they get taken away by a teacher, they can't read 'em! Ha!

Joy, you have a cool mom! Dude, wish my mom would talk to me about LOTR. She thinks I'm a freak. (which I am!) [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] If gimlifans.com ever becomes reality, someone notify me! [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

Anyways, I'm off. Later!

--Lanniae the Axe

whoa, that message got long! woo...i need a life. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 05-19-2002, 10:47 AM   #28
Lanniae of the Axe
Haunting Spirit

Tolkien

My Dwarven name is Gimli! Woo! Apparently works for both sexes! I'm Gimli, guys! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] My real name is Megan, so I don't know where that came from, but...

I'm GIMLI! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 05-19-2002, 10:49 AM   #29
Lanniae of the Axe
Haunting Spirit

Tolkien

Okay, guys, i'm sorry, this will be my last post, but I have a question. How do you get those little picture thingys to pop up by your name? Not the icons, but the little pictures. I've tried, but it's not working. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] I'm very computer illiterate!

--Lanniae
Old 05-19-2002, 10:57 AM   #30
Daniel Telcontar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

You need to find a picture on the internet. Then you right-click on it and select properties. There you copy the picture's URL-adress. Then you go to your profile, selcets change profile, and paste the URL-adress into the right box. Then your picture should work. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 05-19-2002, 11:07 AM   #31
Lanniae of the Axe
Haunting Spirit

Tolkien

Okay...seeing if the pic works...

If it does, Daniel, I OWE YOU!! Lanniae the Axe at your service!

If not, well, thanks for trying to clear it up.

[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 05-19-2002, 11:33 AM   #32
Daniel Telcontar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Lanniae, ol' buddy, you got yourself a picture. And a darn good one, if I may say so. I'm glad I could help, because I really had trouble myself with getting my picture to work.
Old 05-19-2002, 04:46 PM   #33
Lanniae of the Axe
Haunting Spirit

Tolkien

Daniel! It worked! Wooo!

Thank you thank you thank you! Lots of Gimli and Bory love goin' your way from Lanniae! [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

I have a pic! Yay! Woo! Yay! Go me! Actually: Go Daniel!

I am forever in your debt!
Old 05-22-2002, 07:01 PM   #34
Greycloak
Animated Skeleton

Greycloak has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Cool links Raefindel.

Joy, your link didn't work; any possibility of another try? You got me curious now.
Greycloak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2002, 07:14 PM   #35
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Tolkien

Hey,don't you think it's neat that Legolas and Gimli get to sail together to the West. Can you imagine the look on Galadriel's face (and Frodo's) as they greeted those two on the shore. And how sad Legolas must have been when Gimli decided it was time for him to go beyond the circles of the world.
Old 05-22-2002, 08:47 PM   #36
Lindolirian
World's Tallest Hobbit

Lindolirian has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
The actual DWARVEN runes are hard, I don't get them, but my Tolkien buddy at school and I have memorized the Anglo-Saxon runes that Tolkein based them on, and we write each other notes in them so if they get taken away by a teacher, they can't read 'em! Ha!
whoa with that quote... i might have to wonder if you're my friend from school and i'm urs!!! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] My friend and i did the EXACT same thing in fifth grade and we still do!!! hahahaha
Old 05-22-2002, 09:42 PM   #37
Joy
Spirit of a Warrior

Joy has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

GreyCloak, the link that I gave is not an actual link yet, but a dream..... that will hopefully get on-line one day.

If anyone would like to help me, I'd appreciate it.

As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God. My soul thirsteth for God, for the living God: when shall I come and appear before God?
Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2002, 09:46 PM   #38
Aosama, the Wandering Star
Wight

Aosama, the Wandering Star has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I have another note...
Cassandra Claire (who is hilarious) has "Pervy Hobbit Fanciers" "Percy Men Fanciers" and "Pervy Elf Fanciers" but not "Pervy Dwarf Fanciers". It seems a little odd, but since it was based on the movie and Gimli was belittled there, I think I can understand..
Aosama, the Wandering Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2002, 09:46 PM   #39
greyhavener
Wight

greyhavener has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I love caves. Every time I go into a cave I imagine how a dwarf would make it home. Gimli is a great character. I adored the dwarves in the Hobbit, too. When I first read it, I wanted to be Queen under the Mountain. My cousin named his kid Durin which I think is very cool.
Old 05-24-2002, 05:13 PM   #40
Saxony Tarn
Wight

Saxony Tarn has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Saxony Tarn
Sting

Hey Lanniae, when you get that Gimli Fan Club off the ground, send me an application. Why -- well, 'cause Dwarves are just plain cool, and they played Gim' in the movie far too much like i've always GMed my Dwarves (Legolas may be the prettiest, but I've got the spiffy helmet!) that being short Viking-motif-sporting butt-kickers!

(probably also 'cause Legolas is pouting back there in the number 3 spot (after being overborne & football-passed back there by Boromir in a surprise upset) and Gimli is likely having fun taunting the poor Elf from his newly claimed perch of #2. The vision of thumbs shoved in ears and stubby fingers wiggling on both sides of bushy beard with wagging tongue and 'nyaah-nyaah' is too hilarious to keep a deadpan expression, hoo hoo hah hah mua ha ha ha ha. i have a nasty feeling that that wily Elf is planning something -- you know how long they can nurse a grudge)

Forever heft those axes on high,

saxony

(BTB i swiped the Bor' pic. from your sidebar & to my delight it was big enough to wallpaper my desktop. Well, there goes MY productivity... s.t.)