The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2002, 10:05 PM   #1
Daegwenn
Haunting Spirit

Daegwenn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril Why I love a Movie.

After I had gotten out of the movie theatre from seeing <I>We Were Soldiers</I> for the second time, I got to thinking about why I liked it. It was so different from all the other movies that I had seen and loved. I am not American, and I certainly wasn't even born during the time when the Vietnamese War was fought. I had no family that fought in it, or knew anyone that had or had family members in the war. <P>You are probably wondering why I have written this and hadn't even mentioned <I>Lord of the Rings</I> yet...hold on.<P>I wondered why I loved <I>Lord of the Rings</I> so much that I was driven to see it three times, and each time, the same emotions were invoked by certain scenes (I am NOT comparing this to [i/]We were Soldiers[i] but, I am comparing the emotions that were experienced during both movies). Then it dawned on me; I don't really care about who's doing what...I care about what I think. Maybe this is one of those 'uh...good Job Daegwenn, I am glad you realized that finally..' type of moments. But bear with me. <P>Many people were dazzled by the special affects in the LOTR movie. They wanted to see the movie over and over again because of the actors and actresses in it. Or the fact that it had been written by their most favorite author. Or they loved elves or the fantasy realm in general. I loved it because of the beauty in the feelings that I had experienced. The happiness when Bilbo used the ring at his party. The breath-taking, seat gripping scenes of Frodo and Company meeting the Ringwraiths. The sadness when Gandalf died, and then when Boromir died. To feel a connection to the characters is what hooked me. I had no idea that the books were that good. I didn't even care about them, or even stop to pick one of them up to read. When I did, I was transported to a world where the lines between make-believe and fantasy were blurred for that instant. And I loved every minute of it. <P>So, as I wrap this up, I want to say this: Forget about the handsome faces and forget about the cool affects. Think about the feelings that you are experiencing when you are sitting in your seat, watching the movie or when you are sitting in your seat, waiting for the movie to begin. You'll learn a lot about yourself. <P>^_^ Now I have spoken my piece, I will cross my fingers, huddle under my desk, and hope that I didn't insult anyone. <P>~~Daegwenn<P>[ March 31, 2002: Message edited by: Daegwenn ]<p>[ March 31, 2002: Message edited by: Daegwenn ]
A highwayman comes riding—
Riding—Riding—
A highwayman comes riding, up to the old inn-door.

Over the cobbles he clatters and clangs in the dark inn-yard.
And he taps with his whip on the shutters, but all is locked and barred.
He whistles a tune to the window, and who should be waiting there
But the landlord’s black-eyed daughter,
Bess, the landlord’s daughter,
Plaiting a dark red love-knot into her long black hair"
Highwayman
Alfred Noyes
Daegwenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2002, 10:14 PM   #2
Kalla
Haunting Spirit

Kalla has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Actually I think what you said is quite beautiful and will resound in the souls of most people who truly love lord of the rings, or anything else. Yes it is a book, yes the movie was great too, but it's the experience, the journey that the story takes us on, that we in turn ride in our own lives that makes the story meaningful. Reminds me of why I love music so much...

"So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."
Kalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2002, 10:29 PM   #3
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

well said! it is a very exciting and exhilirating movie for me because of the emotions evoked by the various scenes. i also feel that the musical score tends to cue these emotions for me now as i view the movie. i think that if i had just gone to see the pretty faces and the special effects i would have grown tired of the movie. but i have not, and i have seen it 9 times now. most evocative for me is the opening, melancholy elven voice-over which stirs in me the response that 'yes, I do remember' and then the switch to the hobbit themed opening which fills me with great anticipation and happiness. there is the grand music and the appearance of boromir as he races like a hero to save merry and pippin that thrills me and yet brings me to tears because a great man will soon be dead. there is the scene in khazad dum where gandalf commands aragorn to lead the others to the bridge and to safety and aragorn is still torn whether he is able to assume command or not. there is the death scene between boromir and aragorn where boromir accepts him as his liege. there is the scene near the end where aragorn is strapping on the arm guards that were boromir's (symbols of the city of gondor and aragorn's kingship). it is such a wondrous journey through the depth and heights of character (and even more so in the books) that one cannot help but be gripped by strong emotion!
Old 03-31-2002, 10:35 PM   #4
Kalla
Haunting Spirit

Silmaril

Ohhh...the hobbit theme...so pure and innocent, yet touched with melancholy...and the last song before Enya's with the boy soloist...just the way it's orchestrated is superb! You have the theme that pulls you back to that sad innocence...and you feel how the knowledge and burden of middle earth is on him, and then you hear the dark undertones of forboding danger....and then the drums as you feel that yes, you can do this...and forget the danger and then the boy's voice with it's purity that shall never fail and will never be lost despite what happens...oh...I could go on and on about the music...lol, you got me started!! See, jsut talking about the music takes me back to those emotions so much I have to type a response that probably sounds silly! But oh well.

"So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."
Old 04-01-2002, 12:54 AM   #5
Araen
Haunting Spirit

Araen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I agree! It took me untill my third time of seeing it to really notice the handsom faces. I giggled about how cute Elijah Wood was with my friends but I didn't really mean it. I was just taken in by the fact that it seemed someone had reached into my mind and taken the pictures of the world I had heald so close and replecated them. I ahd only read the first book when I saw it the first time so I felt each pang of joy or saddness very fresh.
"Where is the horse and the rider, where is the horn that was blowing, they have passed like rain on the mountains, like wind in the meadow, the days are damned in the west? behind the hills? there are shadows... "
Araen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2002, 04:08 PM   #6
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>oh...I could go on and on about the music...lol, you got me started!! See, jsut talking about the music takes me back to those emotions so much I have to type a response that probably sounds silly! But oh well. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>kalla - you can't say too much about the score in my opinion! in fact, i was seriously thinking that the score for this movie should have won the emmy for 'best supporting actor'!!
Old 04-01-2002, 05:42 PM   #7
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

The reason I love the movie, and the books for that matter, is because of the underlying emotions. LOTR has a great way of showing loyalty, friendship, love, honor, and many other things. It is quite beautiful. I am moved everytime the characters fight for one another, there is no selfishness about it. They care about each other & you can see that, & that is why the movie stirs up emotions. Geez, I promised myself I wouldn't see it again after yesterday, but I really want to!!!
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2002, 11:00 PM   #8
Kalla
Haunting Spirit

awww, thanks poisenniel. *blush* I guess it's one thing to have a story I can relate to and that pulls on such strong emotions, but to have the music to go with it...it's overwhelming almost! I like that...best supporting actor...haha!! Quite right, quite right.