The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-04-2004, 04:16 PM   #1
Armetiel
Haunting Spirit

Armetiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Shelob's Lair

Just wondering...if you look at the animals hanging from Shelob's webs, one is a Penquin...now, how do you suppose a penquin made it's way to Mordor?
Old 02-04-2004, 06:10 PM   #2
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Location: The port of Mars, where Famine, Sword, and Fire, leash'd in like hounds, crouch for employment
Kransha has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Kransha
Sting

Actually, after seeing it thrice, I figured out that aviary creature is in fact a sparrow of some kind. Far too small to be a penguin. Of course, I didn't think sparrows flew near Cirith Ungol, but maybe it was supposed to be a crebain or raven.

-Aeschylus, Song of the Furies
Kransha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 06:23 PM   #3
Armetiel
Haunting Spirit

Armetiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

hmm..you think so, because every other place I've seen online has said it was a penquin too...a crebain would make a bit more sense...
Old 02-04-2004, 06:38 PM   #4
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Location: The port of Mars, where Famine, Sword, and Fire, leash'd in like hounds, crouch for employment
Kransha has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Kransha
Sting

Really...well, you know what that means...<P>I'm going back to the movie theater, sneak into the screening room, stop the tape at that part, and use my stolen Ornithology manual to find out once and for all.<P>You gotta wonder what Shelob eats, since not much lives around Cirith Ungol. Probably just orcs, maybe birds, other insects. Spiders eat flies, so I guess the patent-pending "Flies of Mordor" will have to do for her. Or NEEKERBEAKERS!

-Aeschylus, Song of the Furies
Kransha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 09:00 PM   #5
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>if you look at the animals hanging from Shelob's webs, one is a Penquin<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>lol, no, no, I don't think it's a penguin. I don't think it's a crebain either, it looked over-large for one of those. Probably one of those other types of special Middle-Earth birds, though .
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 04:43 AM   #6
Grimkû the Blood-Axe
Animated Skeleton

Grimkû the Blood-Axe has just left Hobbiton.
Question

Shelob - Orc Eater?<P>In the movie I remember seeing several bodies hanging from her lair. Would these be that of orc kind? I doubt it as she and the orcs are both in Saurons domain but it wouldnt suprise me if they were.
Old 02-05-2004, 08:22 AM   #7
Carorëiel
Haunting Spirit

Carorëiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Gollum says Shelob eats orcs when he's talking to himself (reflection in the pool scene). Remember? "And they don't taste very good, does they, precious?"<P>There is also mention of Shelob eating orcs in the book.
Old 02-09-2004, 01:58 PM   #8
Fyara
Pile O'Bones

Fyara has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Fyara Send a message via AIM to Fyara
Sting

just one little funny thing i want to add? How come in the books Shelob is at the end of the second one , yet in the movie its in the third? Weird but maybe they where running out of space etc. I think it would be cool if they where to redo all the lotr movies with the current actors with everything from the books(with history). I know that it would be very costly and be much much longer but hell i would watch them all one after another even if they were a combined 24hrs long :P o well its just my insight other people probably have different ideas.
Old 02-09-2004, 06:07 PM   #9
Burzdol
Shade of Carn Dûm

Burzdol has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

another orc eating thing, when the orcs come, they say something about not wanting to get attacked by Shelob. or is that just a figment of my imagination?
Old 02-10-2004, 11:39 AM   #10
Jjudvven
Wight

Jjudvven has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Jjudvven
Sting

In the book it mentions that Shelob often devoured the Orcs that passed through the mountain. I think they said this in the movie also. I never noticed any penguin, but I'll have to watch out next time.
Old 02-18-2004, 04:13 PM   #11
dragoneyes
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

dragoneyes has just left Hobbiton.
I always thought it was a magpie. Coming to think of it, a magpie could be drawn there because of all the dead stuff (yummy food in their eyes).
Old 02-18-2004, 05:16 PM   #12
Lathriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Wandering through Middle-Earth (Sadly in Alberta and not ME)
Lathriel has just left Hobbiton.
A Penguin. Boy, that would be the last thing i would think of.
Just like dragoneyes i always thought it was a Magpie. That just makes a little more sense than a peguin, don't you think?
Old 02-19-2004, 05:42 AM   #13
Lobelia
Wight

Lobelia has just left Hobbiton.
As long as we're talking weird matters in Shelob's lair, did anyone notice that Shelob, scuttling for safety from Sam and Sting, shrieks, "No-o-o!" I know Shelob was sentient, but it was unexpected.

My brother made me crack up, during that scene, where Sam says, "All right, you filth,etc." by whispering a reference to that scene in ALIENS where Ripley confronts the Alien Queen. Of course, I did point out to him, after choking, that Tolkien said it first, but it goes to show, a lot of people were inspired by the Professor, eh?
Lobelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 07:00 AM   #14
dancing spawn of ungoliant
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
dancing spawn of ungoliant has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to dancing spawn of ungoliant
Quote:
How come in the books Shelob is at the end of the second one , yet in the movie its in the third?
1. They decided that they can't have two so opposite climaxes so close to each other. First there's the great victory of Helm's deep and then after a while there would be a hideous giant-spider. It would ruin the feeling of the Helm's deep.

2. In the book the journeys of Frodo & Sam and the rest of the Fellowship are written separately. Since PJ decided to mix them, he had to consider the dates, what happened, when and to whom. In that case, Shelob and Helm's deep doesn't match by timing -> Shelob belongs to the 3rd film.

Shelob ate orcs whenever she got a chance. It is mentioned in the book. Remember the orc that Shelob forgot hanging upside down in her lair...poor orc.