User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2003, 04:32 PM   #81
Sindae
Haunting Spirit

Sindae has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Crystal ran all the way to Olo Proudfoot's house. Luckily it was not on a hill, for she wouldn't have been able to run then. Normally she walked slowly and admired all the nice gardens besides the road but today she really didn't have the time. She always wanted to live in one of these houses- it was really quiet and not so busy like around her house, there was more space to dream and the wood was near...

Arriving at the Proundfoot´s house she just had to stop for a look in his garden. It was the most beautiful garden around and she never knew how Olo had managed to get this wonderful grass...she really had tried everything in her garden but never got a comparable result.

She walked up to the door whose colour she had already loved from the day on when she had first seen it, and knocked.

Sancho opened. "Oh no, not him!" she thought. He had often insulted her, and even if he had regretted it later she didn't like his way of treating other people. Still she smiled and said:

"Hello Sancho, how are you? I'd like to see your father, he sent me an invitation!"

Sancho nodded and stepped aside so that she could enter. She went into the dining room where she could already hear some voices talking. Was that Pearl? And Primrose if she wasn't mistaken.

Primrose and Pearl were there, and then another young woman she did not know, Biffo, and of course Olo.

The dining room was a very nice one, with a large fireplace and a huge table with some chairs around. Again she admired the garden through a window until she remembered that she should perhaps say something to the other hobbits who had already stopped their conversation and were now looking at her.

"Hi" she said, smiling and feeling a bit unsure "I'm Crystal. Thanks for the invitation, Olo!" Then she waited, hoping for anyone to say something to her.
Old 01-18-2003, 05:09 PM   #82
Manardariel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manardariel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Pearl, who had been engaged in quite an interesting conversation with Prim, looked up. She was suprised- Prim knew more about all of the Shire than most people she´d ever met. As she let her eyes fly through the room, she saw Crystal standing in the doorway, looking shy and out of place.

"Crystal," she called, "come here!" The other girl emerged, still smiling nervously at the others.

The two friend greeted each other. Crystal squeezed in next to Pearl, and soon she was debating the subject of supplies as lively as the others.
Suddenly, Olo stood up. He obvoiusly wanted to make an announcement. Pearl turned her attention towards him, the others doing likewise.

[ January 19, 2003: Message edited by: Manardariel ]
Old 01-18-2003, 05:57 PM   #83
Eruantalon
Wight

Eruantalon has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Eruantalon
Sting

Looking around the last of the company finaly arrived.Crystal had stoped for a moment outside the house to look at his garden.He could see her from the window in the parlor.Please get the door Sancho while I get something ready in the kitchin son.He made his way off to finish the last of the preprations.

Well now maggie you get this done on the stove and I will get the guest seated.I'll be back in a minute.Now he walked into the room.All of the guest now had his attention.They where all probaly starving.He could hear some of there somaches growling,with the wafting smells from the kitchen.

"Lunch is ready everyone.Just have a seat,we'll bring out the food in a few shakes."

Now everyone moved towards the tabel.Olo speeded off to the kitchen to help out Peoni, and his wife.They all came out with everything a hobbit could want.Drinks of every kind,and food to fit anyones fancy.On pretty china platers and serving plates.Chicken,roast beef,eggs and bacon,spinich,mushrooms and bacon and many more delisious entrays.Lots of differnt veggatabel,sweets of all kinds,honey, tea, ale the list whent on and on.All of the food was piping hot and ready.

"Sancho my boy haven't you finished setting the tabel yet?Well that boy,his mind can wander from time to time."

Sancho poped up at his fothers words.Now he scurryed off and set the table infront of everyone.Laying down the silver ware,plates,glasses in an awfull hurry.His mother and fother helping him with it all.

Soon everyone was eating and enjoying things.
Crystal my girl,remind me to tell you my secret about how to keep the grass green in the garden.Well anyone who wants to know can ask.I saw through the window how much you enjoyed it.I can't help but want to tell you.He said this with pride,and a grin.Old Hamfest Gamee at Bag End said anyone who really wanted to know,he should let in on the secret.Crystel seemed to really like his garden.So it would have to be passed down to her.

Everyone nibbeled, and enjoyed his hard work in the kitchen.But he was so tighered.He really couldn't eat as much as he liked.But he still enjoyed seeing everyone eat.Biffo seemed the most starved of them all.Olo chuckeled to himself.Biffo wasn't a hobbit to miss a good meal.

"Make shure everyone to have as much as you like.Theres more in the kitchen.For anyone whos still left hungry."

His daugter,wife,and son where all in the kitchen.Drinking tea, since they had alreay eaten before the guest arrived.So now they where having a plesant conversation. Accompanyed with scones and seed cake.

[ January 18, 2003: Message edited by: Eruantalon ]

[ January 19, 2003: Message edited by: Eruantalon ]
Old 01-18-2003, 07:31 PM   #84
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

With a sigh, Lotho picked himself up from the ground and dusted himself off. Fortunately, his arms and limbs were intact, but the same thing could not be said for his jacket. He frowned as he checked himself over. His very favorite jacket, and he had gotten a long rip in it. His mother would be quite displeased. What very bad luck, indeed!

This was not how things were supposed to happen! He had intended to chase Belle across the outskirts of the village and give her a real scare, perhaps get her so scared that she would lose the invitations, which she had been clutching in her small hand.

He hadn't expected to go crashing into her and send her hurtling to the ground. But there had been a large rock standing in the middle of the path, and he could not avoid it. He had tripped and gone flying forward, landing with a "plop" on top of the girl.

As he looked down at Belle, he could see the child was not in the best of shape. Her arm was twisted in a strange position, and she seemed to be out cold. Now, Lotho was not a stupid or ignorent hobbit. He definitely knew what he should have done. If his mother had been lying there, he would have assisted her, or at least run off to find someone to help him handle the situation.

He knew very well that he should help Belle, but he also realized that no one must find out what he had done to the girl, even if it was an accident. How would he explain the long rip in his jacket and his own bleeding hands?

Best stay out of it altogether and let someone else deal with the injured girl. He grinned and walked back over to where Belle was lying unconscious. He wiggled the packet of invitations out of her hand, and slipped them into his waistcoat pocket. Then, he went behind a nearby tree to hide, and keep an eye on what was going on.
Old 01-18-2003, 09:04 PM   #85
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Orual has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Sam put the invitations in the inside pocket of his vest, so that Frodo wouldn't see them if they happened to meet. He looked at the first name. It took him a little while to remember where the house was, and then he set off, humming a tune to himself--one of the tunes Bilbo had taught him.

Now that the oath was behind him, he was beginning to really enjoy this whole party business. The very secrecy of it, the thrill of being "in the know," he loved it. Now, keeping it from Frodo might be a bit of a problem--but it hadn't come up yet, so he wasn't worrying about it. Hopefully it wouldn't come up!

He also loved being able to help Mr. Bilbo. He had done so much for Sam, teaching him his letters and telling him all the stories of the old days that he'd never have heard anywhere else. He owed so much to Mr. Bilbo, it was wonderful to be able to give something back. And a birthday party was always wonderful.

He was well on his way, having delivered half of the invitations, when he saw a figure some ways in front of him. With a frown, he quickened his pace to see what it was. As he neared, it seemed to be a girl. Belle?

Melilot was relieved beyond words when Prim came over, and didn't forget to let Prim know: the walk to Olo's house, after Prim's explanation, was filled with desperate thank-you's and I'm-sorry's until Melilot was nearly out of breath and Prim never wanted to hear either of those expressions again.

The walk had taken a little while, and Melilot had begun to wonder if they would ever arrive. She was anxious to learn all about the party, all about the plans, and somehow make up for her missing of the first announcement. But eventually they arrived at Olo's house.

It was a lovely house, and Melilot approved thoroughly, but the garden was what really caught her eye. She herself wasn't much of a gardener, but her father was, and they had a bit of a garden in the back; but nothing like this. It was quite gorgeous.

Once they got inside, she was introduced to Olo and his family, and soon after to Pearl Took. A little rush of excitement swept over Melilot. This ought to be fun! Now to wait until the meeting began.

[ January 18, 2003: Message edited by: Orual ]
Old 01-18-2003, 10:59 PM   #86
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Cami had finished delivering her entire packet of invitations. She had run as fast as she could from one house to the next, knocking on each door or pulling down on the bell, then curtseying neatly whenever a hobbit came forward to answer her summons.

The hobbits to whom she had given the invitations were quite delighted at the prospect of attending Frodo's party. Bilbo had a reputation in the Shire for being an eccentric who chased after Elves, but he was also known for his unstinting generosity and his lovely celebrations at Bag-end.

That afternoon, Cami was feeling quite pleased with herself. She had not fallen into any mudpuddles, been chased by dogs, or managed to lose any of her precious invitations. For once, she had managed to do things right. She decided to walk over to Bag-end and pick up one more packet that she could finish delivering the next morning.

As she skipped along Bag-shot row, she kept a sharp eye out to make sure Frodo was nowhere to be seen. Cam breathed a sigh of relief as she came tripping up to Bilbo's round green door and tugged down on the bell chain. Bilbo's voice rang out cheerfully from the kitchen, "Come in. The door's open. I'm making tea."

Cami pushed against the door, all the while peering about to make doubly certain Frodo was not there. Then, she walked over to the table. "Would you care for a bit of tea, Cami?" Bilbo asked. "How did the invitations go"

Cami politely declined Bilbo's offer of tea, as she knew she'd best get home to finish her chores. But she did stop to give her teacher an animated description of her activities that afternoon, crowing a bit over how successful her deliveries had been.

Bilbo suddenly fixed a far more serious eye on Cami, "You wouldn't happened to have seen Belle, now, would you? I was expecting her home for lunch, but she never came. That's not like her. I expect she just ran into a friend and stopped to play, but she usually doesn't do something like that without telling me."

Cami hadn't seen Belle all day, and told Bilbo so. She did promise to keep her eyes and ears open, and send word to Bag-end if she heard anything more.

Cami didn't want to say anything, but she had developed a very bad feeling in the pit of her stomach at the mention of Belle's name. She reassured herself that it was probably nothing, just a case of nerves. But it was not the first time the girl had strange premonitions, either in dreams or in fleeting images during the day, and at least some of those had turned out to be more than fancy. She sincerely hoped she was mistaken.

[ January 19, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 01-19-2003, 08:10 AM   #87
Sindae
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Crystal was surprised that Olo told her that he'd give her some advices for her garden. She had hardly spoken with him more than two or three times and now he was going to tell her something she had wanted to know for such a long time! But it was very nice of him anyways.

The food was delicious and very soon she began to talk to the others as well, feeling surer of herself. They were all very nice and kind Hobbits so she looked forward to go on a journey with them-it would be a really nice time! Wandering through the Shire was something she had always liked, and with a company like this it would be even better.
Old 01-19-2003, 01:29 PM   #88
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Sting

Sam's heart dropped when he finally got up to the fallen figure. It was Belle. She seemed to be unconscious, and her arm looked like it might be broken. Sam groaned and knelt down beside her. "Belle?" he whispered, but there was no response. "Belle, come on, wake up!" Nothing, not even a stir. She was breathing, he could feel it on his cheek, but she wasn't moving at all, and he was terribly worried that he'd just hurt her more if he moved her. But then, Bag End wasn't that far off...

He sat on his heels and bit his lip. What a predicament! He wished that Cami was with him: Cami would know what to do. "But as it is," he said to himself, "it's only me, and I guess I'd better figure it out or nobody will." He sighed and looked around (for he could have sworn that he'd heard a noise), and then turned back to Belle's prostrate form. Slowly and carefully he lifted her from the ground--luckily, she was a small child, and Sam didn't have much trouble. With cautious steps, making sure that he didn't jar Belle too much, he made his way to Bag End. Finally he was in front of the door, and faced with another problem: knocking. He frowned for a moment, frustrated, and finally kicked the door as a subsitute. "Mr. Bilbo!" he called. "It's Sam--with Belle! She's hurt!"
Old 01-19-2003, 06:29 PM   #89
Beruthiel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Beruthiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Marigold was slumped on a chair, still covered in mud when Cami came in. She'd finished all her invitations and Marigold huddled up even more to hide herself. She was so upset that she'd ruined so many hand written invitations she couldn't bare to think what Cami or Sam might say. They didn't think she was up to it all along, this would prove them right.

At that moment she could hear someone banging on the door.
Quote:
It's Sam--with Belle! She's hurt
Marigold looked outside and could see her brother holding a limp little body in his arms, Belle looked like she was unconcious. Feeling very worried for Belle she waited for Bilbo to get the door and see if there was anything she could do.
Old 01-19-2003, 07:56 PM   #90
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Bilbo opened the door and stood staring in amazement at Sam and Belle. Then he immediately helped Sam bring the limp form of the girl in and bring her to the spare bedroom.

"Is she dead?" Marigold asked, her eyes worried.

"No, but she's broken her arm," said Bilbo. "Marigold, my girl, you run as fast as you possibly can and get her eldest brother who's staying with friends in Hobbiton. Sam, no doubt you're rather tired. Why don't you go down and get a drink?"

Marigold went running out the door, but Sam did not move. "I'm not thirsty, Mr. Bilbo," he said. "Is there anything I can do?"

"I don't think we can do much until her brother arrives," said Bilbo with a smile. "I'm no doctor, you know."

They sat there together with Belle, waiting for her brother to arrive.

"Where is that Annabell?" Primrose grumbled. "It's been twenty minutes since we all arrived. I'm anxious to get started." She sighed and leaned back in her chair. "If she doesn't come soon this meeting is going to take a long time, and I'll get home late. And then I'll catch it from my parents."

She stood up. "All right, we'll do some small discussing while we're waiting for her." Prim looked at all the hobbits gathered around. "I'll take ideas for how we should go about our journeying. Anyone got one?"

[ January 20, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 01-20-2003, 02:48 AM   #91
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

A Very Important Meeting

"Well, Primrose," Biffo piped up. "Seems to me that we need to know what it is exactly we'll be getting. If I know Mr. Bilbo, it'll be a big bash, and we'll need lots of vittles and the like."

The other hobbits nodded in agreement. Hobbit wisdom was made up largely of commonsense. That and gardening. The company could appreciate the wisdom of what Biffo was saying, especially since they'd already thought of it themselves.

"Now, I don't know much about parties," he continued, one thumb behind his suspenders as he did when speechifying. "So, maybe we should all get our heads together and someone can write out a LIST." He said this last word with great authority.

Biffo hoped he was right in assuming that Primrose at least was a lettered hobbit. Biffo could read very well, and was proud of it, but had never had the need to write anything but his name. He felt sure that Olo and his family were in the same boat, but of course there was always more to his wily uncle than met the eye. Biffo seemed to have reached the crux of his speech now, and the only right thing to do was to wrap it up. With one hand on the fine old-fashioned table for support, he continued.

"So, once we know what we need, I'm sure we could have our own provisions stocked, and the ponies," here he looked back towards Primrose, "ready to leave tomorrow morning?"
Old 01-20-2003, 10:41 AM   #92
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

The minute Marigold left, Sam had turned to Bilbo, with an idea of his own, "My mother can help. She's a Goodchild by birth, and they all have healing skills. My mother doesn't say too much outside the family. In fact, she uses it mostly on our farm animals. I've seen her set a dog's broken leg, and, six weeks later, it healed straight and clean."

"Go, lad, now and get her," Bilbo urged the boy. And, with that, Sam ran off to fetch his mother.

Since the Gamgee house lay so close to Bag-end, it was only a matter of minutes until his mother, Belle Goodchild, appeared, carrying an old leather case over her shoulder. She placed her hand on the girl's head, scrutinizing it intently, and then carefully examined every inch of her.

"Here," she whispered, pointing towards a jagged cut on the litte Belle's head. "This is where she hit a rock as she fell. This is why she does not wake." She carefully bathed the wound and dressed it, and, as she did so, the girl began to toss about slightly, although she still did not awaken. A good sign, Mistress Goodchild thought, but kept her reflections to herself, not wanting to raise false hopes.

Mistress Goodchild made sure the girl was warm and comfortable, and then set her arm in a splint. When she finished, she explained to Bilbo. "The break was clean and that is good. I will feel better though, after she awakes."

Within just a few minutes, Marigold had returned with Belle's tweener brother Ned in tow.

[ January 20, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 01-20-2003, 03:55 PM   #93
Merri
Wight

Merri has just left Hobbiton.
Elanor felt an uncomfortable feeling in the pit of her stomach, as if something bad were about to happen or had just happened. She had finished delivering all her invitations, and was still basking in the delight of putting smiles on so many faces, but now she became worried.

I've probably forgotten something important. That's what it is . . . I've forgotten to do some chore back at home and Mum'll have me in the frying pan for it . . ., but somehow her feet turned her towards Mr. Bilbo's hole, and she walked up the pathway to the round green door and, without thinking, hammered her fist against the hard wood.

In a moment, the older hobbit appeared, looking more than a trifle irritated.

"Is anything-" She caught sight of Sam, Marigold, and Belle, and without another word, pushed past Bilbo and ran to her friends.

She knelt before Belle. "Will she be all right?" Elanor looked up at Sam, then the healer, then Belle's brother, searching for some form of reassurance.

[ January 20, 2003: Message edited by: Merri ]
Old 01-20-2003, 03:57 PM   #94
Pipperin
Animated Skeleton

Pipperin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Annabell ran up the twisting walk way out of breath and tired, she had woke up terribly late and had ran all the way from her home.
As she reached the hobbit hole she stopped and took many long breaths before knocking on the door. She looked at the garden by the door, there were many beautiful flowers with bright, vibrant colours. How beautiful, she thought to herself.

She smiled as Olo opened the door to let her inside, smiling though probably a bit annoyed. She hung her coat on the hanger and walked into the room where the other hobbits sat waiting.

"Sorry, Im late" she said, her cheeks becoming warm, "I slept in far to late, I hope I have not missed anything!" She sat down at the table, glad to finally be there.

[ January 20, 2003: Message edited by: Pipperin ]
Old 01-20-2003, 04:15 PM   #95
Eruantalon
Wight

Eruantalon has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Eruantalon
Thumbs up

Just as the talk of there plans started Olo heard a knock at the door.Well thats strange now.He thought to himself.He got up and went to the door.

"Hello there Annabell,I almost forgot about you.Come on in now the food is on the tabel.Theres plenty more if your still left hungry darlin."With that her coat was hung and he showed her over to the tabel.

Now Olo excused himself for a moment.He got up and whent to his small study.There he retrived paper,ink,and quills.Now he made his way through the hall way and back to the rest of the company.

"Well for everyone who knows how to read and write, you can use these to get everything down.Here you go, take what you need here.Make sure to take down things for those that can't read or write."Now passing out everything he sat down.

"Now lets get all our thougts straight.We'll start with food.Hows that with every one.I was thinking seed cake,scones,fruit tarts,pies,and candyed fruit, would be nice."
Saying this Olo quickly put these things down on paper.

"Anyone else have any ideas."Now he was looking around the table.

[ January 20, 2003: Message edited by: Eruantalon ]

[ January 21, 2003: Message edited by: Eruantalon ]
Old 01-20-2003, 10:04 PM   #96
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Sting

Sam felt a great sense of relief at the moment Bilbo opened the door. At that opening, the buck was passed; this was no longer Sam's catastrophe, it was now in capable adult hands. And nobody was more capable than Mr. Bilbo!

He sat heavily on a chair and just breathed for a little while, getting over the initial shock of the thing. He declined a drink and asked if he could help, but he was told that there was nothing he could do. Nothing? Sam frowned, sitting back and thinking hard. There had to be something. But what? He was no healer. He--of course!

After telling Bilbo his plan, Sam rushed off to his house to get his mother. That, he could do.

Without knocking he ran into the house. "Mom!" he called. "Mom! Come see!"

His mother came running out of the kitchen, wiping her hands on her skirt. "Sam!" she said sternly once she saw who was making the commotion. "What has gotten into you? What's going on?"

Hardly pausing to breathe, Sam told her the entire story in an incredibly small amount of time. Mrs. Gamgee stood, looking at her youngest son incredulously. "And Belle's at Bag End now?" she asked quietly once Sam had finished. Wordlessly and gasping for breath, Sam nodded. "One moment, I'm coming."

It seemed to Sam exactly one moment later when his mother returned with her familiar leather case, care-worn from many years of use. Feeling like he'd done something, he took her by the hand and ran all the way back to Bag End.
Old 01-23-2003, 12:46 PM   #97
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Shield

Primrose sighed with relief as Annabell came into the room. "Wonderful!" she cried. "Now at last it looks as though we can get started!" She stood up, and then sat down again quickly. "Keep making suggestions, everyone," she said. "I think that's a good way to start our meeting. Then we can discuess these ideas. How do you think we should travel? Should we split up or travel together? And what do you think we'll need for the trip? And where do you think we'll need to go?"

Bowman Proudfoot stroked the little rodent that stood before him. He loved all animals, and his pet squirrel was his favorite. His love for animals had even convinced his mother not to harm the mice that raided her kitchen, but he had only a few days to do something about it, or his mother would take it into her own hands.

The squirrel suddenly tensed, looking off to the right, and then ran, scurrying up a tree and scolding. Bowman turned around and saw his father coming up the hill.

"Hullo, dad," he said, smiling.

"Well, son, I met Olo and Biffo Proudfoot on the road. We didn't talk, but they were kind of whispering together, and I heard them. You know I have good ears."

"Yes, dad," said Bowman. "What were they talking about?"

"About something I shouldn't tell you, but I will if you can keep a secret," his father said.

"I can keep a secret, you know I can, dad."

"Mr. Bilbo Baggins is planning a surprise party for his cousin Frodo, and they're all going to help out. It sounds as though a couple kids are going to be helping with the party, as well."

"Why wasn't I invited to help?" Bowman asked with disappointment clearly in his voice.

"Oh, I don't know, son." Mr. Proudfoot looked up and saw the squirrel still scolding him. "Still have that critter, eh?"

"Yes, dad," said Bowman, but he wasn't really listening. He was thinking.

"Hmm. Well, I'll be indoors with your mother, all right?" Mr. Proudfoot went inside.

Bowman called his squirrel down and a little smile came to his face. Bilbo Baggins hadn't invited him, but that didn't mean he couldn't help anyway, did it?
Old 01-23-2003, 01:42 PM   #98
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

That evening, Bilbo dispatched Ned to ride hard to Tukborough and bring back Belle's mother and father so they could see to her comfort. Tukborough lay just 6 leagues south of the Shire, in an area that bordered on a wooded grove.

If the boy rode his pony hard, he could make it there tonight, and probably bring them back to Hobbiton by the next afternoon. Once Belle had awoken, and was clearly out of danger, her parents would probably want to bring her home in their wagon.

That night, Sam's mother remained at Bag-end so that she could stay by Belle's side and keep an eye on her. Marigold and Elanor and even Sam had also insisted on being with their friend and slept on the floor close to the bed, curled up in blankets. Whenever Elanor looked up to check on Belle, the girl was dozing fitfully, not quite conscious, but tossing and turning about in pain.

When Frodo came home later that evening, he was both surprised and sorry to find out about Belle. He began asking pointed questions about how such a terrible thing could ever have happened. Bilbo tried to field these as adroitly as he could so Frodo wouldn't learn how Belle had gone up to the farmhouses that lay near the Water to deliver a packet of birthday invitations to some families who lived there.

After much conversation, and several pointed looks between Bilbo and Elanor in Frodo's direction, everyone finally trundled off to bed. Just as the sun was peering over the horizon and the roosters were beginning to crow, Belle opened her eyes, to the surprise and delight of all the hobbits in Bag-end. Belle sat up, and stretched and smiled over at her friends, although she was still too weak to do much talking.

Marigold bounded up and stared at her friend with a big grin on her face. "She's going to be alright?" The young hobbits looked over at Mistress Gamgee to make sure of that.

"Oh, yes, she should be fine. But I'm afraid she'll need to spend some time at home resting. No rough play with that arm in a sling."

Bilbo nodded in agreement. Then he tugged on Marigold's arm and beckoned quietly to the other children to come into the study and speak privately. "Belle should be well enough to come back and attend our party, but she won't be able to do the rough work like cleaning or carrying boxes or all the things we'll need to do to prepare. I'm relying on you--Sam, Elanor and Marigold as well as Cami--to do those things. You'll have your hands full, but I think you can do it."

Marigold looked over at Bilbo and grinned broadly, "Of course we can! We won't let you down. And we'll make the best party in the world for Frodo, and for our friend Belle too."

Then Bilbo handed out several more packets of invitations to each of the children, telling them to be very careful in their deliveries and to let him know if they saw anything suspicious. Bilbo didn't really think there'd been bandits in the Shire, as some of the children had suggested, but still he wanted them to be particularly cautious from now on.

Before the children and Mistress Gamgee left, Bilbo leaned over to Sam and looked him in the eye, "Remember, you made a promise. I'm counting on your help, especially with Belle injured."

[ January 23, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 01-23-2003, 07:21 PM   #99
Beruthiel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Marigold practically skipped out of Bag-end, Belle was going to be alright and she was still coming to the party! Bilbo hadn't been angry with her for ruining the invitations, though he had been rather distracted with Belle. The children had been sent out to deliver more invitations, this time Marigold watched where she was going but thankfully there weren't anymore puddles.

Before they'd left Bag-end, Bilbo had asked them to look out for anything suspicious. She had no idea what he meant, nothing like that ever happened in the Shire, though she had a feeling that Bilbo thought someone did something to Belle. But why one earth would anyone do that!She thought to herself, Surely nothing would happen to... me? Now Marigold was feeling a little worried, she hurried along a bit quicker and kept an eye out, just in case.

[ January 23, 2003: Message edited by: Beruthiel ]
Old 01-24-2003, 07:36 AM   #100
Merri
Wight

Sting

Elanor had plenty of time to deliver her invitations, so she ambled along the road, lost in her thoughts, and forgetting that she was supposed to be looking out for anything suspicious.

She was daydreaming about running off with the travelling hobbits, becoming the envy and admired by all the hobbit children. What would they come across, she wondered? Elves? Bandits? Trolls? She shivered in delight. Oh, if only I were a few years older- and she kicked at a rock, sending it rolling down the path. But- no. You promised Mr. Bilbo, Elanor, and Frodo's your friend- you can't let them down, no siree, not now, and Mams and Paps wouldn't be happy to hear that you did, either. She sighed unhappily and continued on her way.
Old 01-24-2003, 08:48 AM   #101
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Later that same morning, Cami raced down the lane from her family's burrow heading in the direction of Bag-end. Unlike the other children, she'd spent the night at home with her parents, eating dinner and finishing chores, and so had heard nothing about Belle's accident or the subsequent arrival of Ned.

She found Bilbo sitting on his doorstep, smoking a pipe and taking in a bit of the cool morning air. He wished her a hearty good morning, then began explaining everything that had happened since the night before. As Frodo had left the house to go walking in the woods, there was little need for them to try and mask their conversation. Cami inquired if she could come in to see Marigold, but the younger hobbit had aready slipped off to sleep and Bilbo thought it best not to wake her.

The two of them sat together on seats by the round green door, chatting of this and that, as Bilbo blew out beautiful grey rings of smoke, watching them float upwards and disappear over The Hill. When it was time to leave, Cami picked up another packet of invitations that she promised to deliver that afternoon. Then she asked Bilbo a question, which no one had thought of before.

"Why don't you give me Belle's too?" she suggested, "The ones she never got around to delivering yesterday."

Bilbo furled his brow and looked up surprised, "Belle's invitations? There weren't any. When Sam brought Belle back, he wasn't carrying any invitations. Perhaps Belle finished delivering them."

Now it was Cami's turn to look puzzled, "That's strange. Yesterday, in the market, near the end of the day, I ran into two of the families who live up by the Water, and they swore they never received any invitations at all."

"Is that so?" Bilbo narrowed his eyes and looked suspicious, but then said very calmly, "I expect it was just a mistake. Sam just forgot to pick them up. Belle probably dropped them on the path, and they're still sitting there. Naturally, Sam was more concerned with Belle and her injury, than in trying to retrieve any lost packets."

He looked over at Cami, "You know where Belle fell down?" The girl nodded her head in response. "Please do me a favor. Check the pathway where Sam found Belle, and retrieve the missing ones, then bring them back here so I can have a look at them. Be careful not to run into Frodo, or let him know what you're doing."

Cami promised she would take care of that, and was about to run off on her errands, when Bilbo's voice again called out to her, "Cami, take care. Keep a good eye on what's going on, and if you see anything that looks suspicious, don't wait around to investigate, just get out of there." Cami nodded and, as she left Bag-end, wondered what Bilbo's last words had really meant.
Old 01-24-2003, 04:12 PM   #102
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Sting

Sam left Bag End with the slightly perplexing emotional combination of being quite exhausted and trying to carry himself with the air of someone who'd just been entrusted something special. Bilbo's last words had stuck in his mind...

"Remember, you made a promise. I'm counting on your help, especially with Belle injured."

After such an important proclamation it seemed an untimely moment to rub his eyes or yawn, so he strove to avoid doing either. Instead he focused on Marigold.

"I'm going to deliver the rest of my invitations," he told his sister. "I hadn't finished when I found Belle. Are you all right by yourself?" Marigold assured him that she would be fine, and he went on his way.

His invitations, just a little crumpled from being in his vest pocket all this time, were delivered in no time, Sam having set about his task with renewed vigour. Once he was done, he started on his walk back home. Several things were bothering him, however, mainly Belle. She wasn't usually a clumsy girl, no more than anybody, and she would have had to fall awfully hard to break her arm. Sam frowned. Must've been a big rock she tripped over, he surmised. But he hadn't seen any, had he? No, not that he could remember. And then Mr. Bilbo had told them to let him know if they saw anything suspicious...but it was probably nothing. Belle probably just wasn't looking where she was going. After all, what could it possibly have been?
Old 01-25-2003, 07:00 PM   #103
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

Pipe

Five Heads are Better than One

The meeting had now been officially started. All the conspirators had arrived, including one who had not been there yesterday at Bag End, Annabell. Olo Proudfoot had already begun writing down some of the items they would need.

"Keep making suggestions, everyone," Primrose had said, "I think that's a good way to start our meeting. Then we can discuss these ideas. How do you think we should travel? Should we split up or travel together? And what do you think we'll need for the trip? And where do you think we'll need to go?"

There were many questions still unanswered it seemed. This should have given Biffo food for thought, but to be honest all he could think about were fruit tarts and seedcake. Thanks, Uncle Olo! he thought to himself, since it was Olo that had driven all other thoughts out of his head. Fortunately, the Proudfeet had already put on an excellent lunch.

"Candied fruit, and tarts," Biffo said after a short while, "we could get from the market at Waymoot, if we don't have time to make 'em."

After a little more thinking, he continued.

"Problem is, if there really are bandits about, things will start to get expensive. I've worked for Rory Bellows down in the Southfarthing a few times, and I know that he'd put his price up if things looked dangerous. Charges like a wounded bull if he gets the chance, he does!"

It seemed then, that Waymoot ought to be the hobbits' first stop, to find out what they could buy there, and what they might have to collect directly from the farmers. It was, after all, possible that deliveries would be interrupted by the threat of bandits. Or at least until the Shirriffs and the Mayor could put an end to the rumours.

Olo fetched a finely drawn Map of the Shire and spread it out for all to see. Primrose had another map, and did likewise. Primrose's map, though not as clear, showed more of the far corners of The Shire. Biffo did not own a map himself, but had often looked at them. They held a strange fascination for him, although his own map of The Shire was tucked away firmly inside his head.

"I think we should need to ride rather than walk," Biffo added as a last comment, "and also that we should stick together."

While Biffo had been to many parties in his time (he was a hobbit, after all!), he had never organised one before. He hoped to help out in whatever way he could, but knew that when it came to making a list of supplies, the others would be more willing and able. Having said his bit for now, he turned his attention to Primrose's beautiful map.
Old 01-26-2003, 09:58 AM   #104
Manardariel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manardariel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Quote:
"Keep making suggestions, everyone. I think that's a good way to start our meeting. Then we can discuss these ideas. How do you think we should travel? Should we split up or travel together? And what do you think we'll need for the trip? And where do you think we'll need to go?"
Primrose said. Pearl, who had waited for this question quite a while, spoke.

"I think we should check out Michel Delving for the decoration. The Romild-folks are the best candle-makers in the Shire, everyone knows that. And we´ll need presents, too. I´m sure we could get some nice stuff at the toyshop and 'Markenbrands'."

She looked around on tenterhooks, waiting for the others to say something. She got some agreeing nods.

"And one other thing. What about suplies for us? Are we going to sleep in Inns every night? And if not, if we´ll sleep in the wild, what will we need? Blankets, I´d say, food, a knife... what more?"

[ January 26, 2003: Message edited by: Manardariel ]
Old 01-26-2003, 04:38 PM   #105
Sindae
Haunting Spirit

Sting

"Well I think your idea is good, Pearl" Crystal said. "I've heard about the toyshops, they are said to be great! Perhaps we should go to Buckland as well, I know some people there who know how to make delicious things out of mushrooms. I once tasted an omelette there and it was the best one I've ever ate."

Still she was unsure if the other Hobbits accepted her. She never had a good opinion of herself, and looked at them hoping anyone would answer to her suggestin. When no one said anything she continued.

"I woulnd't mind sleeping out in the wild, I've always dreamed of it. But we need some Hobbits with the knowledge for this. Did anyone of you ever camp in the Shire? And if so, what did you need for it? I don't think we could afford spending the nights in inns, it would be just too expensive so I'd say we should really sleep outside and just be a bit careful that no one attacks us. Or do you have better ideas?"

[ January 26, 2003: Message edited by: Sindae ]
Old 01-26-2003, 07:11 PM   #106
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

That morning, Master Lotho sat at his mother's breakfast table contentedly eating his bacon and eggs. He was wearing his fashionable brown waistcoat, the one he usually donned for parties or other festive events. He was feeling particularly cheerful, as to how things were turning out.

Lobelia came out scratching her head, "Lotho, dear, I can't find your green waistcoat anywhere, the one you were wearing yesterday. I need to wash it today. Do you know where it is?"

Lotho wiggled uncomfortably in his seat. He had been careful not to tell his mother exactly how he'd been chasing Belle, or the mistake he'd made tripping over a rock, and landing on top of the young girl. "My green jacket? Uh, I don't know! Maybe I lost it somewhere?"

"Lost it! Lotho, you must be careful. That was a very fine velvet jacket that came all the way from Bree. Not like the cheap ones that the other Bagginses wear! You must not lose your fine clothes if you want to present a good appearance."

Lotho dumbly nodded his head, hoping his mother would't go out to the hen house today. So he paid close attention to his breakfast and then disappeared out of the house to go off on some secret errand.

Later that morning, Mistress Lobelia had just ordered the servant girl to go out and feed the chickens, when the young hobbit came running back inside.

"Miz Lobelia, Miz Lobelia! Look what I've found. It's Master Lotho's green waistcoat only it's torn mighty bad, and there's dirt all over. I found it stuck back in the hay under the laying hens. And, look here, one of the buttons is missing."

Lobelia gingerly took the sodden mess out of the girl's hand and wrinkled her own nose in disgust. Lotho's jacket! There was little doubt of that. Yet, how had he managed to get it in such a disreputable state? Her eyes took in the long rip and missing button. There was even a patch of velvet missing.

She turned to the girl and looked sternly at her. "Not a word of this to anyone! Do you understand? If I hear anyone discussing this, you can wave your job goodbye."The girl nodded dumbly in agreement.

At first, Lobelia wasn't sure what to think. It was probably nothing, but why would her son hide a ripped waistcoat?

She reflected a moment and then decided that another hobbit had been bullying poor Lotho, and he'd been afraid to tell his dear mother about his uncomfortable situation. Probably that awful Frodo Baggins, the lad who lived with Bilbo and who was trying to cheat her out of her inheritance of Bag-end. She shook her head in dismay. By the end of two minutes, she had thoroughly convinced herself her beloved son was in the right, and she vowed to stand up for him no matter what might happen.
Old 01-26-2003, 07:39 PM   #107
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Cami ran quickly along the path that led north up by the Water. She'd finished delivering her own invitations, and was now going to check out the spot where Belle had fallen, just as Bilbo had asked her to do.

It was soon apparent that she'd found the exact place on the pathway where Sam had rescued Belle. She could see a large rock jutting out of the ground, as well as a small piece of torn blue fabric that looked like a piece of Belle's skirt. She began searching for the packet of lost invitations, expecting to find them quickly on the path, or maybe tossed off somewhere to the side. There had been no wind or bad weather, and very few hobbits used this particular track, except for a few children and a stray adult or two. Certainly there was no heavy traffic such as one might expect to find in the market or the main road leading east out of the town.

Cami spent a good long time crawling around on the path and surveying the surrounding land, inspecting every log and blade of grass, but nowhere could she see any missing invitations. Perhaps, she and Bilbo had been mistaken. Belle may have finished her deliveries earlier, or Sam could have stuffed them into his pocket and totally forgotten about them with all the excitement and worry.

Cami was just about to call off her search when she spied a large elm tree set some fifteen feet off to the right side. More out of curiosity than anything else, she bent down to have a look. But there were clearly no invitations here. Suddenly, just before turning away, she spied something bright gleaming in the grass, and went over to retrieve it, holding it up closely under her nose. It appeared to be a solid brass button for a very fancy waistcoat, and around the edge of the button was a rust brown stain that looked suspiciously like blood.

Cami ran all the way back to Bag-end with her treasure tucked deep inside her sash. As she raced around the corner which led down Bagshot Row, past her own home and in the direction of her well-to-do neighbors, she yelled out at the top of her voice, "Mister Bilbo, Mister Bilbo, look what I've found!"

Old 01-27-2003, 09:54 PM   #108
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Shield

Primrose listened to each suggestion and carefully considered it. She felt nervous with her responsibility as leader, but she did not let it show. She only hoped she would be able to be a good leader.

Quote:
"Candied fruit, and tarts. We could get from the market at Waymoot, if we don't have time to make 'em."
Hopefully we'll have time to make them, Primrose thought. I can imagine how expensive that kind of thing could get. Mum could do it, maybe. I'd just have to figure out a way to have her do it without letting her know about the party...

Quote:
"Problem is, if there really are bandits about, things will start to get expensive. I've worked for Rory Bellows down in the Southfarthing a few times, and I know that he'd put his price up if things looked dangerous. Charges like a wounded bull if he gets the chance, he does!"
"Just what I was afraid of," Primrose sighed. "Unfortunately I don't think any of us are rich... maybe Bilbo would give us a hand with that? I'll speak with him later today."

Biffo suggested going to Waymoot first, and then Olo brought out his map. Primrose studied it, then remembered her own map, and fetched it out.

Quote:
"I think we should need to ride rather than walk, and also that we should stick together."
Ride... "We'll need ponies, then," said Primrose. "I own a pony and a cart, but the cart is for carrying supplies. My family owns a few more ponies, so if we can make a good excuse I could get them to lend them to our company."

Quote:
"I think we should check out Michel Delving for the decoration. The Romild-folks are the best candle-makers in the Shire, everyone knows that. And we'll need presents, too. I'm sure we could get some nice stuff at the toyshop and 'Markenbrands'."
Michel Delving. Primrose quickly looked at the map. "Michel Delving is southwest from Waymoot, about 13 or 14 leagues away. Waymoot is about 8 leagues away from Hobbiton. We should head to Waymoot first, I think, and from there on to Michel Delving. If we're riding I think we could get to Waymoot and halfway to Michel Delving in a day."

Quote:
"And one other thing. What about suplies for us? Are we going to sleep in Inns every night? And if not, if we'll sleep in the wild, what will we need? Blankets, I'd say, food, a knife... what more?"
Quote:
"I wouldn't mind sleeping out in the wild, I've always dreamed of it. But we need some Hobbits with the knowledge for this. Did anyone of you ever camp in the Shire? And if so, what did you need for it? I don't think we could afford spending the nights in inns, it would be just too expensive so I'd say we should really sleep outside and just be a bit careful that no one attacks us. Or do you have better ideas?"
"I think Crystal is right," said Prim. "Inns will be very expensive, and we couldn't possibly afford it with all the supplies we have to get. But it's dangerous to sleep in the wild, if these rumors of bandits are true."

She paused and began to think. This was a difficult decision. She looked out the window, but she knew she could not think long. The company was eagerly awaiting her answer.

"I'll make my definite decision when we find out if Bilbo will supply us with the money we need," she said at last. "But for now I'll say that we'll probably have to sleep outdoors and risk the danger of bandits, and occasionally sleeping at an inn. But that is not the final decision.

"Does anyone own a pony? What about Crystal's question? Have any of you slept in the wild before? I have, once, but unfortunately I don't know what's needed, because my father and I had no choice. That's another tale that will be good for the road, if one of you will remind me." She looked about at the company, and waited for their answers, hoping she was living up to everyone's expectations.
Old 01-27-2003, 11:06 PM   #109
Beruthiel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Quote:
Mister Bilbo, Mister Bilbo, look what I've found
Marigold heard Cami calling from up ahead. She had finished delivering all her invitations and was returning back to Bag-end to see whether there was anything else she could do.

Looking towards Mr. Bilbo's round, green door she saw Cami rushing into Bag-end. Marigold followed and slipped in behind her. Cami was giving something to Bilbo.

Turning to Cami she asked "What's that?" nodding her head at Bilbo's hand. "I found it near where Belle fell down." Cami said, ignoring Marigold for the moment, looking straight at Bilbo. Marigold looked at Bilbo's hand to see a fancy, brass button.

"Do either of you recognize this?" Bilbo asked them. Cami shook her head but Marigold stared at the button. It must have come from a fancy coat, only someone very proud would wear something like that. Then something clicked in her head, Lotho Sackville-Baggins! She remembered seeing him with his dreadful mother at the market the other day wearing a very posh, green waist coat.

"Its Lotho's!" she gasped and then looked at Bilbo. "I saw him wearing a really fancy coat at the market with buttons like that."
Old 01-28-2003, 06:17 AM   #110
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

Pipe

Biffo had to admit that so far, Primrose had definitely been living up to everyone's expectations. Bilbo's faith in her was not without reason, it seemed. Biffo had nodded approvingly as she guessed at times and distances. She had, he thought, been right in her reckoning, if they were to travel by pony and from Hobbiton. He did not of course know where Primrose's beasts were stabled, however.

"For myself, lass," Biffo rejoined, "I'd have to say that no, I do not own a pony. I was hoping ye'd have enough for the lot of us and all the bags, though it does seem there'll be an awful lot of those! Good thing you have a cart, we'll surely need it."

Biffo seemed to recall Prim mentioning a cart-pony at Bag End, and was glad she had the cart to complete the matching set. Olo Proudfoot, who had been listening with interest and taking notes more than talking, now chipped in.

"You're right, Primrose, you'll need a good excuse to borrow all that ponyage!" Olo said. "Hmm... with all this bandit activity, maybe the Shirriffs could ask to borrow them and return them later. Of course, we couldn't get a real Shirriff to do it."

Olo cast a smirking glance towards his nephew, hinting maybe that with a hat and a feather or two, he could look very much the part of a Shirriff, if it came down to it. Biffo pretended not to notice.

"Very good suggestion about the decorations, Pearl," Biffo said.

To tell the truth, the hobbit had forgotten about Pearl for a minute there. Actually, he had mistakenly thought there were only five travelling conspirators. He looked down at his toes and began counting the group off to make sure, this time: Primrose, Pearl, Crystal, Annabell, Melilot, Olo, Biffo! Ah, seven! Very fortuitous! Pleased with his skills of numeracy, Biffo looked up and paid attention again. His uncle was talking.

"As for sleeping about out of doors," Olo was saying, "I think that we'd better not, not with these bandits about. We should be able to find a nice, affordable Inn where we can keep everything safe. And at any rate, I don't think we'll be gone too long, will we? At least that's what I told Maggie and the kids."

Biffo didn't mind at all about sleeping indoors or out, and had done a great deal of both (sleeping being one of his strong points). He could definitely see the wisdom in Olo's suggestion though, and was once again grateful that the Proudfeet were there to help guide the younger (though very able) hobbit lasses. He was particularly impressed at Olo's helping out, as looking after a family must take a bit of work. Biffo hoped on his behalf that they would not be gone too long, or Olo would surely miss his family and his comfy hobbit-hole. The thought that any unforeseen trouble might await them hardly entered Biffo's mind.
Old 01-28-2003, 02:34 PM   #111
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Shield

Quote:
"For myself, lass, I'd have to say that no, I do not own a pony. I was hoping ye'd have enough for the lot of us and all the bags, though it does seem there'll be an awful lot of those! Good thing you have a cart, we'll surely need it."
Primrose looked doubtful. We have seven companions, and we'll need a pony for each of them. My father owns three, my brother one, and my mother one. That makes five. I own one. That's six. Someone can ride in the front of the cart with me, and that makes…

"Seven!" she cried aloud. She quickly told everyone her thoughts, but then a frown came to her face. "But my father can only lend us one of his. He needs the other two for his job of farming. Does anyone own any ponies?"

Quote:
"Hmm... with all this bandit activity, maybe the Shirriffs could ask to borrow them and return them later. Of course, we couldn't get a real Shirriff to do it."
Primrose saw Olo looking towards Biffo. "I don't know," she said slowly. "Would that be right? Deceiving them, I mean? I'm sure one of you must own a pony or two.

Quote:
"As for sleeping about out of doors, I think that we'd better not, not with these bandits about. We should be able to find a nice, affordable Inn where we can keep everything safe. And at any rate, I don't think we'll be gone too long, will we? At least that's what I told Maggie and the kids."
"The problem is," their young leader replied, "can we find an affordable inn everywhere we go? Prices might go high if the bandits are about. The innkeepers will know everyone will want to sleep indoors, and they'll take advantage of it.

"As to your question of how long we'll be gone, it had better not be too long. We have to be back before September the 22nd. So far these are our plans."

Primrose pointed to the map once again. "We'll be going from Hobbiton to Waymoot, and from there to Michel Delving. After Michel Delving, my plans are to go to Tuckborough. My cousin Peony lives there. She owns an inn and a store, and we can get some supplies from her.

"Are there any more suggestions as to where we should go after Tuckborough?"
Old 01-28-2003, 10:27 PM   #112
Pipperin
Animated Skeleton

Pipperin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Annabell sat at the table listening to the suggestions of the other hobbits. She was quite content to be a part of all this, but she did not feel very helpful, even if they had just started planning.

Quote:
"Seven! But my father can only lend us one of his. He needs the other two for his job of farming. Does anyone own any ponies?
Annabell thought for a moment. She did not own any ponies, and her parents didnt either, but...Estella! Yes, she owned a pony. She quickly informed the others of it, as Primrose finished speaking.

"My friend Estella owns a pony, im sure she will let us borrow him! Though he is getting on in years, but he is quite energetic" She sat back in her chair and looked at the others.

[ January 28, 2003: Message edited by: Pipperin ]
Old 01-31-2003, 12:57 AM   #113
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Save: Bilbo visits Lobelia Sackville-Baggins
Old 01-31-2003, 10:38 AM   #114
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Bilbo had turned around and looked at Marigold with considerable surprise. "You know, I believe you're right. Now that you mention it, I also recall seeing this button on Lotho's coat. How very strange!"

Cami quickly responded to Bilbo, "Stange? I'd say more than strange! Why was Lotho hiding behind a tree in the exact same spot where Belle was hurt? I'd say it sounds mighty suspicious." Marigold looked up at Cami and nodded her head in agreement.

"Now, girls! Let's not get carried away with this. Just because Lotho lost his button there, it doesn't mean he had anything to do with Belle. He might have lost it a week ago. Perhaps, he climbed the tree to look out and see something, and his button caught on a branch and ripped off. We can't go around accusing Lotho without more evidence than this. Anyways, we have too much work to be spending time worrying about such things. I have new assignments for you children."

Bilbo made the girls promise that they wouldn't say anything about the button to anyone else, at least not for the time being.

"Now, let's see about that next chore...., " Bilbo smiled and looked down at the girls. "We're going to need a lot more flour for all those cakes and cookies and pies we'll be baking. This afternoon, could you come back to Bag-end, hitch Nell up to the cart, and take her down to the mill? Usually, Ted sends his boy up with the deliveries, but he's not feeling well. If we want more flour, we'll need to go down and get it ourselves."

Cami made a face. "The mill? Ted Sandyman? He's never been a favorite of mine. What a grouch! A real grouch!"

Bilbo quickly interjected. "Now, Cami, please keep such opinions to yourself. That's not very nice. Anyways, whether you like Ted or not, it's the only place nearby to get some flour. We surely can't wait till the other hobbits get back from their tour of the Shire as there won't be any time left for us to do the baking."

He gave Cami a purse with six gleeming silver coins to pay for the large amount of flour they would need, and warned her to be very, very careful with it. He warmly thanked Marigold for recognizing Lotho's button and Cami for finding it behind the tree. Then he sent the girls off on their own and said he would see them later today when they came back with Sam and Elanor for the pony and cart.

When they were finally out the door, Bilbo sat down and thought carefully about what had happened. He hadn't wanted to say anything to the girls, but he was also suspicious about exacty what that button meant. He resolved to go speak with Lotho's mother as soon as he had a spare moment, and find out just what was behind all this. Then he went in to check on Belle, and see how the girl was doing.

[ February 01, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 01-31-2003, 08:47 PM   #115
Merri
Wight

Sting

Bilbo informed Elanor of her chore as soon as she returned to Bag-End. Ted Sandyman wasn't much of a likeable character, that much she knew, but beyond that, she knew nothing about him, so she couldn't complain.

"Anything for Frodo, Mr. Bilbo, sir," She said, with a grin.

"That's my girl." The old hobbit smiled at her and patted her head. She danced out the doorway, calling to Sam and the others.

"Come on, all of you! We're going to Ted Sandyman's mill to get some flour." She called, making her way to the wagon.
Old 01-31-2003, 10:38 PM   #116
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Sting

Sam was solemnly authoritative as he joined Elanor. Ted was a strange character, and he'd be in charge of protecting the girls. He smiled at Elanor as she came out. "Is everybody ready to go?" he asked. Elanor and the others assured him that they were. He nodded solemnly to Bilbo before Elanor closed the door--and Bilbo gave him the oddest smile back, as though he was trying not to laugh, but Sam didn't think much of it--and turned to the wagon.

"Shall I drive?" he asked Elanor.

Melilot listened intently to the conversation. She felt a little lost in all of it, and quite muddled--partially from lack of attention, for Mel hadn't the longest attention span in all of the Shire. She had perked up when Crystal had suggested sleeping out-of-doors; though Melilot was fairly concerned with her appearance, she was quite ensorcelled by the idea of roughing it, though in truth she'd probably not last too long in the wild.

Once they started talking about inexpensive inns, Melilot really perked up. "My uncle Saradas is an innkeeper near Tuckborough," she said. "He knows all the innkeepers in the west and south farthings, or 'least most of them. I know we could get in very cheap at his inn, and if I tell them who my uncle is the others'll likely give us a break in terms of prices in their inns, too. 'Less we go by the Rusty Hinge," she amended, cringing, "old Posco Hilldweller isn't over fond of my uncle." She looked around the room hesitantly and waited for a response.
Old 02-01-2003, 03:42 AM   #117
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

Pipe

"Sounds fine, Ms. Brandybuck!" Biffo remarked. "Fine, indeed."

The prospect of cheap rates at almost every Inn in the Shire brought a golden glow to that particular Proudfoot's face. And to think, just last week his mother had told him how hard it was to find the perfect woman! Biffo noticed that most of the company were likewise relieved at hearing Melilot's news. Sleeping indoors, but on the cheap, seemed at first glance to be a grand solution.

Biffo felt sure that Primrose would have something to say about it, however. She had seemed most keen on saving money, even if this meant a more dangerous trip. Biffo could hardly make the decision either way, though, since it wasn't just his money that they would be spending. While he could pay his own way comfortably for the time they were to take, he was not so well off that he could do likewise for all of them. Perhaps Mr. Bilbo might need to help them out.

Primrose could now be seen mulling over the options, as the hobbit group looked on.

"Looks like she'll think of something, or burst trying!" Biffo whispered to his Uncle Olo, who promptly jabbed him quiet with an elbow (even though he was grinning as well).

Biffo hoped that they would be travelling in comfort. Quite apart from beers on tap, he did not relish the thought of staying up on bandit watch into the wee hours.
Old 02-01-2003, 06:17 PM   #118
Merri
Wight

Sting

Elanor smiled back at Sam, glad that she hadn't had to ask him. "Yes- that would be very good, if you would drive." She always got worried whenever she drove carts, afraid that she'd run into a pothole, or that the cart would tip over, or that the horses would get out of her control.

She got onto the seat beside Sam, making room for Marigold to join them.

"I hope Ted Sandyman won't be too mean," She said anxiously.
Old 02-01-2003, 06:30 PM   #119
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

When Cami had returned home, she'd received a stern warning from her parents about how, for the past two days, she'd forgotten to do her farm chores and errands. Wagging a finger in the air, her mother had made it perfectly clear that, as much as they admired and respected Mister Bilbo, Cami would have to do her share at home, or she wouldn't be allowed to help out with the party plans.

Faced with this grim possibility, Cami spent the next three hours industriously mucking out the barn, currying the cart horse, and turning the house upside down to chase every dust bunny out that she could manage to track down. When she finally finished all that, she quickly regrouped in hopes of racing back to Bag-end and joining the others for the trek to the mill.

But, before Cami could slip out the door, she heard her mother's voice calling once again, "Just one more thing, dear. I need you to run to the market, and buy two loaves of bread. I just haven't had time to bake today, since I've been too busying finishing up all the work that you were supposed to do from yesterday."

Cami inwardly moaned, then took the copper pennies her mother offered, promising to run down to Mistress Hornblower's and return immediately with the needed baked goods. She tucked the money into the same purse where she had hidden Bilbo's coins. She wasn't sure how she'd make it to Bag-end in time, but she thought it best not to upset her mother any futher.

With a hope, skip, and a jump, Cami was out the door, running across the fields, taking every shortcut she knew to get her to the baker's in short order. As she approached the Hornblower's shop, a terrible sight met her eyes. There was a long line of hobbits snaking out the door, all waiting for the next load of bread to come piping fresh from the oven. The baker had just sold her last two loaves, and everyone else would have to wait an hour or more if they wanted to get fresh bread.

Cami groaned. She'd never make it to the miller's on time, if she had to wait in line until everyone else was served. Then she had an idea. Perhaps, she could ask the hobbit who'd bought the last two loaves for a very big favor.

But when she ran up to the front, her heart quickly sank. There was Lotho, about to walk away with two fresh loaves that he'd just bought. Still, she wouldn't give up without trying. Without mentioning anything about a birthday party, Cami explained how she had a purse with Bilbo's money in it and must get down to the miller before he closed that afternoon for a very large order.

To Cami's amazement, Lotho agreed to help her. He handed her the two loaves and asked for payment, not a penny more or less than what he himself had spnt. That seemed like an eminently reasonable arrangement.

Cami paid Lotho the pennies, then let him hold her purse while she stuffed the two loaves inside the cloth bag. When the lad inadvertently dropped the money, he insisted on picking up the coins and replacing them in the purse, treating Cami as if she was a real lady. Cami began to think that she had misjudged Lotho, and was feeling sorry for her earlier words to Bilbo.

Then she thanked Lotho, ran back across the field, and handed the bread to her mother, before taking of again. She caught up with the pony and wagon, just as the cart was rounding the bend to go down to the miller. The other children good naturedly teased her about being late, but she herself was quite proud about how she'd managed to handle things.

Lotho had to wait in line a very long time to purchase his other two loaves of bread. He really didn't mind as he looked down at the silver coins that now nestled securely in his hand. After all, he reasoned, any hobbit could make such a mistake when picking money up from the floor, replacing one coin with another of a slightly different value. Anyways, he deserved some receompense for his time spent in line.

Still, he laughed as he thought of his little trick. Copper coins, silver coins....they were all the same to Lotho, since the Sackville-Baggins family was one of those in the Shire who enjoyed considerable resources. He never gave it a second thought as he left the market, heading home to have a pot of tea and buttered scones in the company of his mother.
Old 02-01-2003, 06:48 PM   #120
Beruthiel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Marigold pulled herself into the cart and sat down, thanking Elanor for saving her seat. She was feeling a little worried about going to Ted Sandyman's mill, she hadn't met him before but Sam had told her all about him. Hopefully he wasn't as mean as everyone thought.

Sam was stearing the cart around the corner when Cami ran up and jumped onto the back. "You're late! Where were you?" The three hobbits said at once. Then Cami launched into a story of Lotho and the bakers.

Marigold had never liked Lotho before, espicially after the button that was found near Belle. It seemed very strange that Lotho had been so nice to Cami and Marigold didn't like the sound of it but kept quiet as she listened to Cami.