Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2003, 03:47 AM   #41
the real findorfin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

the real findorfin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to the real findorfin Send a message via AIM to the real findorfin
Sting

Fin was glad that the newcomers, both Human and Elf, had arrived. The companies attetion was no longer on him. As he rode he felt a lot better and cursed the drinking of the night before.
He rode at the rear of the company alone, not wanting conversation lest the headache return.

"Best to give it an hour or so," he thought. By the sounds of the talk, orcs or worse could be around and Fin didn't want to find himself in the middle of a fight in his present condition.

He noticed that the girl had taken an immediate liking to Aenara, “damn!” he thought, “no way I can talk to her now!” He cursed and clutched at his head, “ow!”
He reached for his skin of water, perhaps that would help.
Old 01-13-2003, 11:29 AM   #42
Saurreg
Shade of Carn Dûm

Saurreg has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Saurreg Send a message via MSN to Saurreg
Sting

One of the elves had deliberately slackened the pace of his horse so that he would fall behind the train. It was not difficult for Thaurbar to figure out why, given the former's sluggish movements and flushed face. It seemed that rumours of the Mirkwood elves' love for wine were true after all.

Findereg had also noticed the actions of his fellow companion. He smiled to himself as he shook his head.

"Ah! I see the illustrous Fin had caught your eye! He is one of the younger courtiers of the Mirkwood Kingdom and a favorite among the elven maidens. He has a flirtatious personality and a sharp tongue. But I assure you that he has a good heart and a pair of steely hands."

"That I am sure of sure of, friend Findereg." Replied Thaurbar still eyeing the drunken Nandor with much interest. Never had he seen an elf so "unfettered" before.

Just then, Thaurbar noticed that the young Atani was staring at him with her large black eyes. When she realised that Thaurbar had caught her peeping, she hid herself behind the female elf.

Taking leave from Findereg, Thaurbar rode towards the female elf and the child. The urchin clung even tighter to her travelling companion as Thaurbar approached.

"Child, my name is Thaurbar. Tell me, what is yours?"

The large bright eyes continued to stare defiantly. Silence.

"Where do you come from? Where are your parents?"

Still silence.

Thaurbar knew that another approach was needed. He noticed that some of the wounds on the child's body were still raw and blood and just clotted by the side of the cuts. As the elf reached out to examine the child's wounds, she instinctively recoiled in horror. Trust had not been established.

"Tell me child, do your wounds still hurt?" Inquried Thaurbar earnestly.

He then reached into a inner pocket on his tunic and pulled out a small packet wrapped in cloth. Unwrapping the packet, he extracted a few pieces of dried leaves and offered them to the child.

"This is Athelas, your people would know it as Kingsfoil. If your wounds hurt, simply chew on one of these leaves and apply the pulp on the wound."

The child hesitated but she then reached out and grabbed the leaves before withdrawing quickly.

[ January 13, 2003: Message edited by: Saurreg ]

[ January 14, 2003: Message edited by: Saurreg ]
Old 01-13-2003, 12:33 PM   #43
Manardariel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manardariel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

The strange elf handed her some leaves she had never seen before.

Youlielle stared at him, a strange mixture of fear and anger filling her. A proud, stern face, watchfull eyes, a flair of arrogance-calling her "child" and everything-around him- he reminded her so strongly of her father it made her sick. He treated her very differently from "her" elves. For the first time, she felt ashamed of her race.

She looked up at him, meeting his gaze. She would show him. She might not be immortal, but she had nothing to be ashamed of. Taking the leaves, she said:

"Thank you, Lord. Now for the second time I learn of the great knowlege in healing you and your people posses. It has saved me once, and I am sure your kingsfoil could take no harm.
For your information, my name is Youlielle. I come from Lake Town. As for anything else concerning me, my past or my buisiness in this parts of Middle-Earth, I have kept it for myself and fully intend to remain doing so. And one other thing. I am not a child. I am fifteen years old and, have allmost reached maturity."

She breathed out. "Good Job," she told herself. "Let him handle that one."

[ January 13, 2003: Message edited by: Manardariel ]
Old 01-13-2003, 01:08 PM   #44
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Eye

As Thaubar offered the kingsfoil, Aenara smiled at him for his kindness. Besides, she might be needing some soon, the girl was clutching that tightly to her sides...

"Come Youlielle, you know we do not mean you harm." Aenara murmered back to her. "Thaubar especially wouldnt."

The girl hesistated for a moment longer before snatching the Athelas.

"Thank you, Lord. Now for the second time I learn of the great knowlege in healing you and your people posses. It has saved me once, and I am sure your kingsfoil could take no harm.
For your information, my name is Youlielle. I come from Lake Town. As for anything else concerning me, my past or my buisiness in this parts of Middle-Earth, I have kept it for myself and fully intend to remain doing so. And one other thing. I am not a child. I am fifteen years old and, have allmost reached maturity." Youlielle relaxed as Thaubar nodded and rode away after a moment, but Aenara winced. Youlielle looked up sharply, puzzled. "Whats the matter?"

"Whats the matter?" Aenara repeated quietly to herself in her own language then remained silent for a moment. When she spoke it was quietly. "You should not have done that."

"Why not?" Youlielle snapped angrily. Aenara didnt want to scold the girl so she tried to find a way around. Like finding out why the elf had made her young companion so angry.

"He only gave you kindness." She replied, then waited for the explosion she knew would come.

"Kindness? He patronised me! He demanded my roots, as if that was all I am, and spoke down to me! He does not treat you like that Aenara! The demanding, and the looks...and he called me a child." She ended lamely. He anger was working itself out from its start as a rant. The elf guard in front of her laughed, but not at the girl.

"Thaubar has quite a healthy respect for me, as do many of the males- excepting Fin, but then, he is the excpetion to many rules while at the same time a complete cliche- because I am an elf guard. And when he called you a child- you are 15 human years of age are you not? Thaubar has lived about 100 times that length!"

"He has?" Now Youlielle was incredulous.

"Indeed. We roam the earth much longer than you Youlielle; every elf here is far far older than any human you will meet."

The girl now looked around at the fair elves around her. Then Aenara saw her face darken in the corner of her eye. "But...but he reminded me so much...s-so much of..." She stuttered, clearly dealing with a painful memory.

"Shhh." Aenara didnt press her. The memory obviously hurt her still and to try and dig it out before it was ready... "Chew the Athelas- I mean, the Kingsfoil. And shall we continue with the lesson?" She added, adopting a mock scholarly tone, looking back and down at Youlielle as if over a pair of invisible spectacles. "You will never learn!"

Both of them laughed and they got back to pronunciation of the song...
Old 01-13-2003, 11:41 PM   #45
Saurreg
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Thaurbar rejoined Findereg at the head of the train. The Atani and her elven companion were now engaged in a heated conversation; no doubt he was the talking point.

"Things did not go as well as you have expected?" Inquired Findereg with an all too knowing look on his face.

"She does not trust me," Replied Thaurbar crest-fallen, "I was unable to pry any information from her."

Findereg simply smiled and continued to look ahead.

[ January 14, 2003: Message edited by: Saurreg ]
Old 01-14-2003, 12:17 AM   #46
Susan Delgado
The Perished Flame

Susan Delgado has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Susan Delgado Send a message via AIM to Susan Delgado
The Eye

Findereg smiled for a moment, then faced the other Elf and said, "She's frightened, Thaurbar. One should not try to "pry" information out of friendly acquatences at the best of times, and certainly not when the vistim is a young and injured Atani. They haven't our strength. If you're going to talk to her, be gentle. Emulate Aenara, there. You see, they've become friends."

Thaubar looked thoughtfully about him and nodded. What Findereg said amde sense, from the point of view of someone who'd spent a lot of time with Men. He promised to be more gentle with the girl in the future and they rode on in silence for a while.
Old 01-14-2003, 04:30 PM   #47
the real findorfin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Send a message via ICQ to the real findorfin Send a message via AIM to the real findorfin
Sting

Now that he was sober, Fin was intrigued by the young human. She was young yet proud, that was obvious, and didn't trust easily. Fin's heart went out to her, lost and alone (whatever she might say) in an unknown place. Fin shuddered at te thought, he didn't like being alone. Suddenly he had a good thought. He rummaged around in his saddlebag and pulled out something, which was wrapped in a thick leaf.

Trotting forward to Aenara and the girl’s horse, he introduced himself. “Hello Aenara, hello my lady.” Fin understood why the girl got frustrated at being called a child, after all, most of the courtiers thought he was annoying and ‘youthful’ in terms of sensibility. Fin would not tar the girl with the same brush.
“It seems you have been given something for your wounds, but perhaps something for your stomach is also needed.”

He passed over the wrapped object, and said, “open it, you will find it tasty indeed.” As the girl unwrapped it, a dark brown slab of something was revealed.
“Eat,” prompted Fin.
Old 01-14-2003, 05:06 PM   #48
Manardariel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Shield

Youlielle stared at the elf, then at the brownish something in his hands. She looked up at him and grinned. He had called her "lady". Not child, lady. That felt soo good.
"What is that? And how did you guess I was so hungry?"

He smiled back. A charming smile he had, open to the world, friendly.

"Those are Lembas. They´re elvish waybread. Taste them, they´re really good. And they´ll stop you from being hungry, promise."

That was just too tempting. Youlielle reached out for the "Lembas" an showed them in her mouth. They were delicious. A bit dry, but delicious all the same. Sweet, and a bit spicy, full of life and energy.

"Wow. Those are really good!"She said in delight. Fin and Aenara smiled at each other, than down at her.
"Don´t eat too much", Aenara advised. "They´ll stuff you terribly."

"Thank you, lord."Youlielle said to Fin.

He made a my-pleasure sort of gesture, and smiled again. That was such a nice smile. Exellent teeth. Turning his horse, he left them again, whisteling a pleasant tune to himself. In front of her, Youlielle heard Aenara groan.

"What?" she asked, suprised. It almost seemed like Aenara was groaning about Fin offering her... what was the word.. Lembas.
"Aenara? You seem all annoyed, what´s the matter with you?"

[ January 14, 2003: Message edited by: Manardariel ]
Old 01-14-2003, 05:39 PM   #49
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

Taurion rode a bit behind now, amusing himself by watching the group. He smiled now that Fin was sober. Fin was amusing drunk, but he was sometimes more amusing when he was sober. Although he was not being entertaining at the moment, Taurion looked at how polite Fin was being towards this girl. He liked her too, it was obvious.

Too? Taurion realized that he had thought of the word "too". Why would it be too? It was not as if Taurion liked her. He could not. She was...a mortal...and he of the Fair Kindred. But she was still so sweet...

Taurion deepened in his thoughts and was finally knocked out of his daydreams and ponderings quite abruptly when he heard someone yell.

"Taurion!" the voice said, and he jerked himself out of his daydream...
Old 01-16-2003, 10:33 AM   #50
Susan Delgado
The Perished Flame

The Eye

When Findereg judged it to be two hours before two hours before sunset, he halted the company and made camp. They hadn't made very good time that day, so he thought there might be another two days on the road before they got to Esgaroth. However, with luck, they'd be out of the Forest sometime tomorrow. He glanced around once more before settling to the cooking of supper. There was something oppressive about the Forest tonight, as if some presence were lurking. He shook his head. It was probably his imagination. He really didn't like to travel.

After supper, everyone settled around to enjoy to fire and some entertainment. Someone started to tell a story...
Old 01-16-2003, 11:57 AM   #51
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Eye

Aenara groaned. Well, he'd given up on her, a blessing at least...probably...but now he was practically flirting with the human chil- the human girl? She gritted her teeth. Some serious words were going to be said to that elf...

[ January 17, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 01-17-2003, 04:57 AM   #52
the real findorfin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

As they crowded around the fire, Fin edged over to where Aenara sat.
"Hello, Aenara," he greeted, "do you mind if I sit with you?"
She nodded after a pause and Fin sat, with the warmth of the fire relaxing him.
"So, have you had a good day?"

"Fine, you seem to have as well! Youlielle is nice isn't she?" Aenara prodded, trying to get a definate answer.

"Yes, she's nice," Fin replied, "but not as nice as you my darling guard!" He smiled another of his winning smiles. "Do you think that we should be out of the forest by tomorrow?" he asked, hoping Aenara knew more of the road than he.
"Yes, we should be," she replied, noncommittally.
"Good," Fin said, yawning. He lay back, looking up at the stars and listened to the stories and songs waft up into the night.

[ January 17, 2003: Message edited by: the real findorfin ]
Old 01-18-2003, 04:12 PM   #53
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

Silmaril

Taurion left his horse after taking his pack off and wandered over to where the group sat. He absent-mindedly took a seat next to Youlielle. When he turned, he was surprised at the girl that sat next to him. Taurion gave a small start at seeing the girl, who had been looking at him. In turn, Youlielle gave a small shake of surprise.

"Oh...oh, I apologize," Taurion said, "I apologize. It is just that I did not expect to see you right there then."

"You sat here," Youlielle pointed out.

"True," Taurion said, flashing her a smile, "Do not always trust to my brain though. It must be too much miruvor over those long years. Do not take to drinking, for it will impair your judgement."

"But are you not a guard? Should you not be alert?" Youlielle asked, in full earnest.

"That," Taurion chuckled, "Is also true. I am fit for service, but it is in the smaller details of social life that I suppose I have weaknesses."

The girl chuckled a bit too, and Taurion caught Fin giving him a funny look across the fire. Taurion smiled at Youlielle.

"Do not move," he instructed half-heartedly, but feigning a completely serious demeanor, "I will return."

Youlielle nodded in a serious manner, as if she was being instructed for a secret mission of some variety. Taurion moved over to where Fin sat and sat next to him. On Fin's other side was Aenara.

"What is the matter with you?" Taurion asked. Fin looked at him with surprise, so Taurion continued, "It appeared as though you were ready to feed my head to a wild beast of some variety."

Fin continued to at least feign lack of knowledge at what Taurion was accusing. Taurion shrugged and patted his friend on the shoulder, returning to Youlielle.

"What have I missed?" Taurion asked the girl, who giggled, "Did any wild beasts attack? Well, 'tis of no importance. I assume a proper Lady, such as yourself, was taught in the arts of self-defense. I would bet you are a master at the sword. Aye, I can tell by your brute strength that you are a force not to be trifled with."

Youlielle gave Taurion a look as if she thought he was insane. He laughed and bowed slightly, even while he was sitting.

"Taurion, the Fool, at your service," he said, mocking himself openly. Youlielle laughed again, and Taurion soon began to laugh as well, straightening up so that he was sitting upright once again...
Old 01-18-2003, 11:06 PM   #54
Saurreg
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Thaurbar observed the scene before him with great amusement. Two wood elves at odds over the affections of a child of men? By all likelihood it was improbable. But there it was, unfolding right before his eyes.

The Atani was obviously pleased that she was the center of attention and was failing miserably to suppress a grin.

Her female elven friend looked irritated.

Findereg as usual, ignored the commotion and continued to stare serenely into the flames.

Interesting people, these wood elves...

[ January 19, 2003: Message edited by: Saurreg ]
Old 01-19-2003, 10:48 AM   #55
the real findorfin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Fin ignored Taurion's taunts, knowing exactly what the elf meant. Well if she wanted him then that was that, but perhaps.....Fin wracked his brain for a story to tell. Surely that would impress either her or Aenara, who was of course as beautiful as she was deadly.

But try as he might, Fin could not think of anything to tell, well nothing that would be suitable for this kind of company. Usually he would have told some ranchy affair, but he was no longer in the kitchens. His next step was to tell a tale of a human exploit but that might cause offence, the last thing he wanted.

As he thought, music piped up from somewhere and an idea formed in his mind.

He sat up, and turned to Aenara, "would you care to dance, dear lady?" Fin hoped she would, she was after all very beautiful.

"Yes," Fin decided, as he waitef for an answer, "Taurion can keep her, Aenara is much better!"
Old 01-20-2003, 02:28 PM   #56
Susan Delgado
The Perished Flame

The Eye

Fin was watching all this with amusement. To think, it was all over one little Atan! He shook his head at the follies of his kind. If they wanted to fight for her affections, let them; it was no business of his. He rose and stretched. Thaurbar gave him a questioning look, but he only shook his head; he wasn't doing anything noteworthy, just stretching legs tired by a day on horseback. He sighed. He couldn't wait for this mission to be over, so he could return to his comfortable bed and comfortable ruitine and Luinlathomë. He missed her terribly, her and the child that had not been born. Well, wishing wouldn't get him any closer to home; he'd just have to muddle through and hope the mission went quickly.

He went to check the horses. It was a bit farther into the verge of the Forest than was safe, but they'd been restless tonight, agitated. He approached the riding beasts first. They crowded around him, seeking what comfort he could give them. He spoke to them softly for a moment, then began to move on toward the pack beasts. He paused. He'd counted the right number of riding animals, but he'd forgotten about Thaurbar. There should be one more here. He counted again, carfully,in case their milling had thrown off his count, but he had counted correctly. Findorfin's horse was missing. He counted the pack horses, but they were all accounted for. Where would Findorfin's horse have gone? It was an Elvish steed and, though not tied confiningly as the Men would do, it would not have wandered away.

As he approached the campfire, he was suddenly appaled at the amount of noise they were making. This was a dangerous place, didn't they know that? Their clamour would bring everything with ears to investigate. He stood on the other side of the fire, watching them. They ignored him stannding there, they ignored his polite requests for quiet. Finally, he threw a sizable stick onto the blaze, causing sparks to flair, and thatt finally got their attention. They looked up at him, their expressions mixtures of annoyance and curiosity.

"Fin's horse is gone."

"What?!"
"How?"
"What are you talking about?"

"Go look for yourselves. Quietly."

They did, and returned much chastened. They let on that now one of the pack horses was gone too.

"What are we going to do?"

"Move on tonight. In the morning, when there's light and less danger, we'll return and see what we can see."

"No!" Findorfin was enraged. That was his horse that was gone! He'd raised it from when it was born. He wanted to stay and find it tonight. After much debate, the others convinced him that wasn't the right plan of action, but he relented with ill grace.

They moved a mile down the road, kept the horses right in the camp, and posted guards. When they awoke, there were no more horses missing, but the damage was bad enough.
Old 01-20-2003, 03:28 PM   #57
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Eye

Aenara tried to keep a straight face on her, but inside she was laughing wildly. Two elves all over little Youlielle? Surely not! She looked up for a moment and caught Thaubars eye; he seemed equally incredulous and amused.

"Would you care to dance, lady?" Fins murmered in her ear. She turned, ready to be annoyed, but looked straight into his face. Her arguement died. Oh what the heck, just this once...

"I would love t-"

"Fin's horse is gone."

"What?!"
"How?"
"What are you talking about?"

"Go look for yourselves. Quietly."

Aenara jumped to her feet, away from Fin. It was a spur of the moment thing, she told herself. Nothing in that. She wouldnt REALLY have said yes....surely...
Old 01-20-2003, 04:22 PM   #58
the real findorfin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Fin was still grumbling when he woke, and as he ate his breakfast, a shadow was cast over him.

“Where was Gilanor?” Fin’s lose cut deep, for he loved that mare and she him. He felt like crying inside, yet years of charm blocked his emotions to only a shadow of their real selves. However, he refused to talk to anyone and the rest of the group left him alone. Not even the fact that Aenara would have danced with him could console him.

As he rose to see everyone packing their horses for the days ride another question leapt into his mind, how would he ride now, and who with?

And his packs were gone, he had nothing left except the things that he wore, his sword and knives, and his pack of lembas. Fin buried his head in his hands, poor Gilanor!

[ January 20, 2003: Message edited by: the real findorfin ]
Old 01-21-2003, 10:58 PM   #59
Garen LiLorian
Wight

Garen LiLorian has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Garen LiLorian
Sting

Derek slammed down the coins, his expression so fierce that the jovial trader in front of him blanched visibly. Reaching out fat, trembling fingers he collected the small pile of assorted metal, and counted them.

"There are 8. It is all you're getting." Derek's voice was flat, expressionless. The man before him rallied, and drew himself up. "Mr. Dondarrion. Market price on Umbarian silk is fif- uh, twenty. Here we are in the back end of nowhere. Do you know how long it has taken me to bring you this stuff? When I think of all the trade I've lost for these silks, I couldn't possibly consider going lower than fifteen. Any less than that, and I won't even be turning a profit!" Derek said nothing, merely collected his coins and turned away from the table. "Wait!" The merchant looked desperate. "For you, I could see... maybe... thirteen. Come on, now. I'm cutting my own throat." Derek allowed himself a tight smile.

He knew very well that no-one else in the vicinity of Laketown was in the market for silk. To tell the truth, he didn't particularly know what he was going to do with it once he got it, but a deal was a deal, and Derek wasn't one to pass up opportunities.

His voice was soft and silky-smooth when he spoke again. "I understand your difficulty. Unfortunately, my employers have only authorized me to spend ten silvers." He shrugged his shoulders, for all the world like a sympathizing friend. "Look. No-one wants your product. The year is too far gone, you'll never make it to another market before the first frost. Cut your losses. I'll buy everything you have for nine goldens. That's more than fair. What am I going to do with Umbarian silk?" He laughed a self-deprecating laugh. "Wear it?"

The trader shrugged. "I can make it to Thranduil's halls before the snows," he said with an air of unconcern, "Derek, my good friend, I'll give them to you for 11. It's the best I can do."

Derek's practised mask slipped at the mention of Thranduil and his Sylvan Elves, and the slightest hint of rage flashed across his features. Those blasted Elves! Where were they? What was taking them so long? Derek knew full well that Elves had no more use for silk than he did, but he couldn't call the man's bluff. Not when he was this close to a sale.

"ten." He snapped, forgoing all semblance of friendship. "Done!" The trader beamed broadly, pleased to have gotten rid of his product in time to be home before the winter. Derek scowled, and whipped his little book out. 'ten goldbacks for one cartload, Umbarian silk. Need buyer. Elves?' he scribbled hastily. "Bring the lot of it by the manor tonight. You'll be paid the rest then," He said briskly, dumping a small pile of gold into the merchant's waiting hand. It wasn't until he was halfway down the row that he allowed himself a smile. It was a good trade, for all concerned. The best kind. "Done! Done!" Malbeth croaked excitedly on his shoulder, hopping from one foot to the other. Deals always excited the bird.
This is my quest, to follow that star; no matter how hopeless, no matter how far. To fight for the right, without question or pause. To be willing to march into Hell for a Heavenly cause! -Man of La Mancha
Old 01-22-2003, 02:15 PM   #60
Manardariel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Shield

Youlielle woke up early, staring around the camp. Everyone seemed to be in a hussle, walking around wildly. What was going on? And then she remebered. Findereg´s voice. Elves rushing over. Fin´s horse- gone.

She opened her eyes properly. Fin was sitting near her, looking totally devasted. She got up.

"Hey, " she said, smiling at him. He didn´t look up.

"Fin! Look, you made me feel better. Now it´s my turn." She sat down next to him. "Believe me, I know how you feel. I know how it feels when something is gone, is totally out of your reach. I know it hurts. But you´ve GOT to go on"

He stared at her. "And how would you know?"

It hit her like a slap in the face. What? He didn´t believe her. He had NO IDEA what she´d been through. Calm, she told herself. Calm. He´s in a horrible state. He doesn´t mean what he´s saying. Calm. She looked at him, still smiling.

"Maybe we´ll find her. You never know... And if not... you still have Aenara..."

[ January 23, 2003: Message edited by: Manardariel ]

[ January 23, 2003: Message edited by: Manardariel ]
Old 01-22-2003, 02:20 PM   #61
the real findorfin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Fin managed a smile.

"Yeh, I suppose, but she just thinks I'm an idiot as well, even after for all the hints I've given her!"

She smiled at him again, "don't be so pesimistic!"

He smiled again, as she chided him.

"Alright, fine, I'm ok now," he said, trying to convince himself more than her. He rose and looked around again.

"Thanks Youlielle," he said and hugged her. "Now all I need is a horse!"

[ January 24, 2003: Message edited by: the real findorfin ]
Old 01-27-2003, 06:06 PM   #62
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

Silmaril

Taurion crossed over to Findorfin.

"You may try to share mine," he said, dubiously, "Although she is too small for you."

Taurion looked over where his spunky, red chestnut mare was standing. Although she had the spirit of more than one mare, she probably did not have the strength to carry two fully grown Elves. Without waiting for Fin to respond, he went over to check on the little mare. He brought one of the apples he had in his pack and fed it to her.

"We should probably be leaving soon," he said to her, "Are you ready to leave?"

The mare ate the apple thoughtfully and looked at Taurion, as if weighing if leaving soon was an option for her. Taurion rubbed the mare on the little white star on her forehead and waited to see what was going to be done...
Old 01-27-2003, 06:59 PM   #63
Susan Delgado
The Perished Flame

The Eye

Findereg heard Taurion's words and clapped his hands sharply, getting everyone's attention. "Yes, indeed! It's time we were moving on. If we hurry, we can arrive at Esgarath byt tomorrow afternoon. Findorfin, we can rearrange the packs so you can ride one of the pack horses. Now come one, we've been suitting here feeling sorry for ourselves for far too long." He started toward the pack wain but paused a few steps away. He turned back and glanced over the company. Frowned. "Has anyone seen Elantar?"

They looked around. It seemed no one had seen the guard since bedtime the night before, and no one had heard anything in the middle of the night either. They fanned out into the woods, searching, and soon enough found Elantar. He was crumpled on the ground, dead, his blade by his side covered with a thick black goo. There was a large hairy leg nearby, also covered with goo. A Spider! It could be nothing else. Nervously, the returned to the road, packed up, and moved on. No one wanted to remain in the vicinity of a Giant Spider.
Old 01-28-2003, 02:41 PM   #64
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Eye

Aenara, already mounted on her tall, rather magnificent mare, saw Taurions offer. She also looked rather worriedly at his little mare. Fin followed her gaze, then looked at her beseechingly. Aenara rolled her eyes and laughed.

"Come on then; get on." She said grudgingly, but not too grudgingly. Fin smiled at her and mounted behind her- she insisted on being in front.

"Taurion, Youlielle can share with you; I think your horse will be able to take you and a girl so slight." Aenara called to Taurion. The elfs eyes widened then he smiled at Youlielle, who, after a pause, smiled back. Aenara rolled her eyes again then almost jumped as she felt Fins hands on her waist.

"Hey!"
"Sorry, sorry." He didnt sound it; she couldnt see the elf behind her but she could hear his grin in his voice.

Eyeing the sinister leg lying across the road, the group set off.
Old 01-28-2003, 04:42 PM   #65
Susan Delgado
The Perished Flame

The Eye

Findereg observed the arrangement of riders with annoyance. Had they no care for the poor beasts? And weren't they even listening to him?

"No, Fin will ride on a pack horse, like I said. It's too hard on the animals to ride double."

Grumblingly, Findorfin descended from Aenara's horse and helped Findereg rearrange the baggage until one of the pack horses was free. He mounted, and they set off again.

[ January 28, 2003: Message edited by: Susan Delgado ]
Old 01-28-2003, 06:46 PM   #66
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

Silmaril

Taurion could feel that Youlielle did not hinder his little mare, so he spoke up, telling this to Findereg.

"We should not waste another pack horse just for Youlielle," Taurion said, "She is fairly light, so Carnil should be able to take her as well as me."

"Carnil?" Findereg looked at Taurion questioningly.

"That is her name," Taurion said, pointing to the mare. He had only just named her this on the road, as he had only recently come into possession of this mare. He patted Carnil, deciding that this name was a fairly good one. Naming the horse after the Red Star fit will with the horse's fiery little attitude, along with the little white star on her head.

Findereg sighed and gave in, "All right, then, Youlielle can ride with you."

Taurion smiled to himself, and patted Carnil, who playfully tossed her head, and motioned that she wanted to set off again.

"I think we should listen to her," Taurion said to the others, urging Carnil forward. The group set off again, once again bound for what once was a fairly simple-sounding quest to Taurion, for wine...
Old 01-29-2003, 05:46 AM   #67
the real findorfin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Fin grumbled to himself as they rode, this pack 'thing' was nothing like Gilanor in grace or balance. But it wasn't his fault, he probably didnt want a moody elf sat on his back either.

"Sorry," he murmured, and the horse snorted in approval.

Fin looked across at Taurion and scowled. How come he got to sit with the girl of his dreams, just because Youlielle was slightly lighter than he was, unfair, unfair!

He laughed to himself, he was acting so childlike. He could talk to Aenara later. Right now they had continue and perhaps they would find Gilanor, but Fin felt as if he knew what had happened to his mare already.

[ February 04, 2003: Message edited by: the real findorfin ]
Old 02-04-2003, 05:49 PM   #68
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

Silmaril

They continued on, nearly in silence. Taurion felt Youlielle's arms around his waist, clinging almost as if the girl expected the horse to bolt at any moment. She had been through a lot, Taurion thought to himself, and it would probably be best not to make mention of it at this point in time.

"How are you doing?" Taurion shouted over to Findorfin, who only have him a fairly evil, malicious expression as a reply. Taurion laughed and clucked to Carnil a bit, and she moved up ahead of Findorfin. Taurion did not want to mock Findorfin's situation too much, and he feared that, if he stayed near to the poor Elf, he may begin to continue in his mockery...
Old 02-07-2003, 03:45 AM   #69
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

~~~~~~~ ALL PLAYERS INTERESTED IN FINISHING THIS GAME ~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~ PLEASE SEE THE DISCUSSION THREAD ~~~~~~~~~~

Piosenniel, Shire Moderator

[ February 07, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 02-07-2003, 09:20 AM   #70
Saurreg
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Thaurbar rode along side Findereg in brooding silence. The morning's grisly find disturbed him and he mourned the death of the young elf. Close inspection of the corpse yielded clues that there was a struggle: the young Nandor did not go down without a fight.

Thaurbar was also appalled by the indifferent behaviour of the other wood elves. One of their kidsman had come to a tragic end and yet only Findereg seemed remorseful and kept to himself, the rest simply behaved as though nothing had happened and they never knew the an elf called Elantar ever existed. Had they no sense of decency?

Thaurbar looked at Findereg and offered his condolences

"Findereg of Mirkwood. I grieve for your loss. May the feä of our friend find his way safely to the Halls of Mandos and enjoy eternal bliss."

[ February 07, 2003: Message edited by: Saurreg ]
Old 02-07-2003, 10:49 AM   #71
Susan Delgado
The Perished Flame

The Eye

Findereg was so buried in his own thoughts that he did not at first hear the Imladrian speaking. When he did, he looked around, catching sight of the others' Mannish bickering behind them and grimacing. Certainly the death of one of their fellows should have more of an effect on them!

"Thank you, Thaurbar. He perished in our defense, and such a noble deed should not go unrewarded." He pulled out his wine bag and offered it to his companion. "Let us drink to his honor and his eternal life in the Undying Lands. Namarie, friend Elantar."

"Namarie," Thaurbar echoed, and they drank.

As they raised their drinks to their lips, the light suddenly brightened and the trees thinned. From here, it was only a few hours' ride to Esgarath. As the travellers passed the last tree of the Mirkwood and entered the plains, a warm breeze blew and brought along the sweet invigorating scent of trees and flowers. It was as though the forest was bidding them farewell in its own special way. Findereg and Thaurbar were riding ahead of the train and there was quite a distant between them and the next rider. The Sindar thought for a moment and brought up something else that had been bothering him.

"Friend Findereg, the reason for my discourse with the Atani was that I found it confounding that she would had encountered orcs and survived. From my experience, that has never been the case,"

Findereg listened intently and beckoned Thaurbar to continue.

"The orcs that attacked her turned south some fifteen miles ahead of the direction we are facing, and they were accompanied by horse riders. It is my conclusion that the child's life was spared by the grace of these riders whom I believe hold sway over the will of the orcs. For what reason I cannot say."

Findereg's brows knitted and he replied in a grave tone, "Your deductions are dark, rider from Imladris. Who do you think were these companions of orcs?"

"Easterlings ride not into these regions, Findereg. And no orc would obey them no matter what. I detect no aura of evil from the tracks so it cannot be the Nine. So I can only guess that they were Morn-Dúnedain."

"The Edain you speak of are formidable," Replied Findereg, "Their skills in sword and tracking are comparable even to yours. But their numbers have dwindled much after the Black Years. The enemy would not employ their services so openly."

"Which brings us to the reason why I am here: Findereg of Mirkwood, the White Council believes that the enemy has returned. Every day he gathers his power and strength. The presence of the Morn-Dúnedain is but a speck in the scheme he now weaves. I have told you what I can, will you now tell me what you know?"

Findereg considered for a moment. "I know relatively little about the world outside Thranduil's wine-cellar. I have sensed, as every Wood-Elf has, the darkness rising in the South, but I have not been privy to Thranduil's private councils. Personally, however, I believe you are right. There is nothing that causes such darkness as is now descending on the Greenwod as the Dark Lord himself. We know he was not utterly vanquished; only hidden until he regained enough strength to rise once more to power. I have discussed it with Luinlathome, my wife, and she feels the same. It will soon no longer be safe to make these journeys to Esgarath."

[ February 07, 2003: Message edited by: Susan Delgado ]
Old 02-07-2003, 12:38 PM   #72
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

Silmaril

Taurion grew uncharacteristically somber as they left Mirkwood. Although Mirkwood was perilous, he always felt a false sense of security under the trees. Now that they were out in the open, he felt particularly unprotected.

The stern nature of Findereg's conversation with Thaurbar, though he could not hear it, was obviously not a light exchange. Taurion saw the faces both held as they spoke, though he was farther back. He wondered what new dangers could be found in this land since last he ventured out from under the leaves of Mirkwood.

Absorbed in thought, Taurion nearly forgot all about Youlielle sitting right behind him. Taurion had the thought to approach the leaders in the hopes of seeing what they were discussing. When he urged Carnil forward, however, he was suddenly reminded of Youlielle when she clenched his stomach a little tighter and gave a little jerk of surprise. Taurion quickly slowed Carnil down again. He had obviously not been the only one in his own world. Youlielle had not been paying much attention to Carnil's motion either.

"I apologize, my lady," Taurion said over his shoulder.

"It is no trouble, Lord," came Youlielle's reply, "If you wish to move up, you may."

"I believe that we should stay where we are," Taurion said.

Although it was not apparent by his nature, Taurion believed strongly in signs. This little mishap, he believed, was a sign that he should not overstep his bounds or he could lose more than just his life.

They rode on, Taurion still feeling a bit apprehensive...
Old 02-08-2003, 04:54 PM   #73
Manardariel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

Youlielle had been dreaming for guite awhile, watching the colors of the wood, the cool morning air and the mysterious sounds flow over her. She felt perfectly safe, like a child who had nothing to fear in its mothers arms. She drew a deep breath, stretcing out. In front, she noticed Taurion quiver slightly. He seemed tense, like most of the company. Youlielle longed to ask some questions, longed to understand. But something held her back. Could she ask an elf, wiser then most she had ever known; question him like a child? Before she could think anymore, her tounge gave her away.

"Master Taurion.... what do you think attaked Elantar and Fin´s horse?"
Immediatly, she blushed. What had she been thinking, just spitting out the question like that? She sounded like an inqusitive -and annoying- six-year old!

To her suprise, Taurion turned around, looking totally honest, like one willing to start a conversation.

"I don´t know, lady. And I don´t think I want to imagine."

Youlielle nodded. It was obviously the best answer she could get... but something stirred in her.

"I don´t want to imagine..." she wondered what he could have meant. In her childhood, she had heard tales about monstrous beasts in the forest.... two-headded wolves, a deadly mixture between cat and spider, the works. She had never thought there might be real monsters out there. And now, a fear crept over her. Even though she knew the elves were safe, she felt a warning. And Youlielle started to be whatchful.

[ February 09, 2003: Message edited by: Manardariel ]
Old 02-09-2003, 04:58 PM   #74
the real findorfin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

"Well that's it," thought Fin regrettfully, "theres no chance of finding Gilanor now."

He mumbled a farewell in elvish before looking forward and out into the open world. The wide open spaces before him seemed strange after the inclosed spaces of Mirkwood. He felt somewhat uncomfortable, as if he would fall off and go hurtling into the sky.
He realised he was at the rear of the column and, not wanting to be left behind, nudged his horse forward. The pack horse responded well and Fin hoped that they would continue to get along well.

"Perhaps I should name you," he thought, "perhaps Gilanor II, or maybe Rogil, yes Rogil would be good."

The horse tossed its head in agreement and moved forward under Fin's command. He pulled level with Findereg and noticed the glum expressions on his and the Imladran's faces. He to shared thier hurt, but me mourned first for his friend Gilanor and nothing would change that. Findereg didn't understand that by joking, he was letting his emotions out in a postive way.

"So friend Findereg, how far to Esgaroth?"

"A mere few hours," was the reply.

"Excellent, soon we will see what Esgaroth has to offer." With this Fin let Rogil fall back a little and merged back into the column.

[ February 09, 2003: Message edited by: the real findorfin ]
Old 02-12-2003, 05:21 AM   #75
Saurreg
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

As the company passed the last tree of the the Mirkwood and surveyed the wide open meadows before them, an unnaturally cold wind blew and sent shivers through everyone's bones. A portend of things to come?

Thaurbar turned and addressed the rest of the travellers,

"You have now left the safe confines of the Mirkwood. This is open country and threats are aplenty. In order to avoid getting unwanted attention, we must travel stealthily. I implore everyone to refrain from casual banther and singing from now on,"

The rest of the elves looked gloomily at Thaurbar and nodded in silent concurrence.

Turning to Findereg, the sindar continued,

"Findereg, stealth is the course we must take, but speed also. There is an old abandoned stronghold of men halfway between the Mirkwood and Laketown, I suggest we do not stop travelling until we reach there."

[ February 12, 2003: Message edited by: Saurreg ]
Old 02-12-2003, 10:31 AM   #76
Susan Delgado
The Perished Flame

The Eye

Findereg shook his head. "It is morning yet. If we travel swiftly, I believe we can reach Laketown by nightfall. Perhaps we may stop at yuor outpost for a midday meal, but not for longer than one turning of the glass."

Thaurbaur nodded and gestured to the others. "Come, we must move quickly."

He and Findereg urged their horses into a canter and the others followed suit, with due consideration for the loaded pack animals. Findereg listened, but did not hear the grumbling he'd half-expected.

They reached the outpost just after midday, stopped for a brief rest, and continued on. Just as the light was fading from the sky, they saw the glint of the last sunlight on water. Eschewing cautioun for the nonce, they broke into cheers and urged their tired beasts as fast as they could go. Soon, they were happily ensconced in the one Inn Esgarath boasted, tired but successful. Tomorrow they would meet the Trader.

[ February 12, 2003: Message edited by: Susan Delgado ]
Old 02-12-2003, 02:17 PM   #77
Manardariel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

Esgaroth. As soon as they entered the city, Youlielle smelled the sharp and delicious smell that filled the city. The smell of HOME. Suddenly, strongly, a longing filled her. Why couldn´t she stay here, live a normal life. She belonged here. In this livley city, with its quiet corners, the bustling market, and the lake. She felt tears sting her eyes, felt herself drown in childhood memories. A sweet smell caught her nose. Honey figs, a snack she had grown up with. And then, one memory made its way in her brain.

In front of her eyes, she saw a big, bearded man. Saw the belt in his hand. Smelled the disgusting odoor of ale. Heared her own terrified cries. Her sisters agoniezed yelps as she broke down under the beatings.

Youlielle felt sick. She felt her the few food she had eaten make his way up again. She forced it down. Luckily it worked. And with an instant, she knew, she would leave Lake Town again. This was a chapter in her history she was done with.
Old 02-13-2003, 05:18 PM   #78
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

Sting

Taurion looked around at the human establishment. These towns were so very different from Mirkwood, it nearly surprised him each time he made his way into one. This town, it seemed, was particularly bustling.

"Where are we going?" Taurion asked.

"To the Inn to start," Findereg said, "Then we shall attend to business."

Taurion nodded, somewhat relieved that the journey was most likely more than half over. Soon they would return to Mirkwood and he would most likely go patrolling again after that. But what was to become of Youlielle? Most likely she would stay here, her home, and be fine. Taurion hoped that was her fate, in any case...
Old 02-16-2003, 05:25 AM   #79
Garen LiLorian
Wight

Garen LiLorian has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Garen LiLorian
Sting

The young apprentice stood nervously in the doorway, waiting to see what the mercurial temper of his master held in store in the same way a small bird might watch the rustling of leaves only a few feet away; He didn't know what was going to happen, but was pretty sure it wouldn't benefit him. Derek stood up from where he had been finishing Rhiannon's abandoned notation (where was that blasted woman?) and squinted in the glow of twilight that invaded his dark chamber.

"What?" He snapped. He was in a foul mood, no new occurance. Rhiannon had vanished and the reports of various apprentices had been less than encouraging. He had suffered a loss on the day, even with the purchase of the Umbarian silks, and nothing put him out of joint like losing money. And those blasted Elves still were nowhere in sight!

The boy stammered. "Your excellence, the Elves have arrived." He got out at last, and Derek's face lit up, a sight the boy wouldn't soon see again.

"Wonderful!" He cackled in glee, rubbing his hands together. "Well, don't just sit there, show them in!"

The boy made a little eep noise. "Uh, sir. They are, uh. Not here."

"What do you mean not here, boy? Didn't you just say they'd arrived?" As quickly as it had arrived, the man's good humor vanished, and his face fell once again into its accustomed scowl. "Well, don't just stand there, lackwit, tell me."

"Um. Your excellence, Mr. Findereg begs your leave, but he is tired from having ridden all day, and will attend you at your earliest convenience tomorrow." Actually, the Elf had made no such arrangement, but they boy felt it would be safer to lie now than be caught in one of his master's fully fledged tantrums. And, he considered, the Elf surely would be planning to meet with Mr. Dondarrion in the morning, so no harm was done.

Derek dismissed the boy with a wave of one hand. Truth be told, he was just as pleased to know ahead of time. So much to do, so much to do. Derek turned the affair over in his mind, trying to find some way to make the advantage his.
This is my quest, to follow that star; no matter how hopeless, no matter how far. To fight for the right, without question or pause. To be willing to march into Hell for a Heavenly cause! -Man of La Mancha
Old 02-16-2003, 07:08 AM   #80
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Eye

Aenara dismounted from her horse and gritted her teeth as her feet hit the solid ground. She kicked her legs out a few times, trying to revive some feeling there and stretched her shoulders back. It felt good to be able to properly stretch after days riding, something that didnt bother Aenara, but still.

The elf looked around, breathing in, taking in the sight and smell of Esgaroth and smiled despite herself. Although she still resented being on this mere trading venture, it had been long since she had last visited the Laketown. The crowds bustled by the elves, the gossip and banters of the folk filling the air, the quick paced lives of the humans flowing around her. Their lives seemed so short and fast...

She led her horse forward, following Fineregs lead towards an Inn, but caught sight of Youlielle. The girls eyes seemed glazed over, as if she was remembering something both precious and painful, before she caught Aenara's eyes. She looked away immediately, but not before the elfguard saw the tears in her eyes. Aenara frowned, wondering what would happen to Youlielle. She had run away from her last home, and from the little she had told the elf, she had run from this one as well. Aenara resolved to talk to her, and to Findereg, about this when they got into the inn.