The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-16-2012, 03:34 PM   #361
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
And in a decision that seemed to come down between sally's and phantom's choices...sally achieves her goal of tying the phantom.

That's it, thanks to you all for participating and making it fun for me to "moderate." I think it went very well and I hope everyone had fun with it too.
Old 09-16-2012, 03:38 PM   #362
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
My life is complete. I'm glad I saved that tater for last after all. ^_^
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 03:55 AM   #363
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
I've been following this for the last couple of rounds, quite fun. By any chance, are there plans for the future to repeat this?
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:28 AM   #364
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
What Legate said...

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:43 AM   #365
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Yes, that was the idea is to have as many repeats as long as they were desired.

Some of the days I was disappointed with the lack of arguments during judging, but I know several people were getting RL smush towards the end. And it's not like WW where you need everyone to post so you can get 'evidence' to go on. So, I still wouldn't have any sort of requirement to argue/campaign for the choices. I just think it can be an interesting dynamic, since in the RL game the judge makes a rather immediate choice and here, you'll get a good 24 hours to deliberate.

I wouldn't mind running it again, because it's actually very amusing being behind the scenes and seeing what everyone's choices are. I also wouldn't oppose passing on all the stuff if I'm unable to do it and someone else does. It would basically be a spreadsheet of all the red taters, and then a list of the players with their current hand. It's not very time consuming to run with all the prep work done.

So, short answer is, sure. I'm game.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:22 AM   #366
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
I think I share Boro's feeling...

It was fun to play, but for me clearly, the most fun rounds were those when people actually made different suggestions as to why pick this or that tater and others argued against them giving their own.

Also, I know I was one of the loudest advocats to suggest we should tighten the pace of the game from the original 24 hours picking your choice + 24 hours debate / judge working into the adopted two rounds going on at the same time -game. It would be interesting to hear from others who played, did they feel the pace was too quick aka. would they have posted more if it had been played in a more leasurely pace?

But like Boro said, as this is not a ww-game not participating in the discussion on one day or another isn't such a crucial matter. Although I think it would be merrier if more paople voiced their minds - or tried to persuade the judge more - as that would generate more discussion and thus fun.

That said, I'm naturally game for another round.

Congrats Sally! I knew I made a decent pick there in the end...

And congrats also to Gwath who seemed to have compensated his second place in the Arda Cup phantasy tournament by winning this one...

And thanks to the phantom for a very consistent posting - and everyone for a nice game!

And last but not least: thanks Boro for coming up and organising this!
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:56 AM   #367
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Thanks for running this, Boro. I had a lot of fun. The game was very well thought out and executed. I do hope we can play again. This is about as much time commitment I can make at this point, so it's nice to still be able to be active in something.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:58 AM   #368
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
You WOULD remind me of my dismal failure in the Arda Cup, wouldn't you, Nogrod?
Old 09-17-2012, 12:18 PM   #369
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwathagor View Post
You WOULD remind me of my dismal failure in the Arda Cup, wouldn't you, Nogrod?
Haha! Maybe I would, maybe I wouldn't... *ahem*

But it's only fair you don't win each and every game that is played on the BD, don't you think so?
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:34 PM   #370
MCRmyGirl4eva
Shade of Carn Dūm

MCRmyGirl4eva has just left Hobbiton.
This was fun, but I'm not going to sign up for the next round. It's not really all that fair for me to play when I can't make the deadlines, and so, my slot is now available to any who wish to play. Might pop in to laugh at this, though! (Actually, I'm definately going to laugh at this when I can.)
Old 09-17-2012, 05:29 PM   #371
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Nice game, everyone! Thanks Boro!

I'm curious as to what taters people played for each round. I know we've shared some of that already, but I think it's even funnier to see the taters by player and not by round.

Here are mine, in no particular order:

Radiant - Two Trees of Valinor
Spicy - Orc-draught
Creative - Formenos
Bold - Osse
Neglected - Halls of Mandos
Rank - Aule
Honest - Huan (well, they both start with H...)
Deadly - Gaffer Gamgee
Cuddly - Watcher in the Water
Extraordinary - Lembas (as I told Boro in a PM, I was hoping I could pair this one up with "doomed". It was so funny thinking about how doomed it would be if the baker forgot s/he put it in the oven!)
Violent - Ar-Pharazon
Peaceful - Minas Tirith
Charming - Melian
Ridiculous - Ban of the Valar
Weary - Maedhros
Chewy - Burrahobbit
Dangerous - Elendil
Attractive - Elwing (Elwing and Earendil...haha!)
Conceited - Maeglin
Dashing - the Petty-dwarves (three were certainly dashing through the forest too near Turin's men!)
Cranky - Osgiliath (think of all that abandoned furniture going "crank! crank!" with every gust of wind... this is so ridiculous it makes me laugh the most)

I think I'll be ok with schedules if I sign up for the next round.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:59 PM   #372
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

I played a couple good ones, but several times I tossed ones just to get something better. Unfortunately I never got what I considered a golden chance to play one of my favorite cards (Nirnaeth Arnoediad), so I still had it in my hand.

I would've loved for Longbeards to be picked for Spicy or Forlong the Fat for Attractive as jokes, or for a serious pick the Silmarils for dangerous, but other than that I wasn't really in the running on the others and generally didn't bother to recommend my own submissions once I gained three (though Shadowfax was justifiably bold, but next to Turin I didn't feel the need to push him).
Old 09-17-2012, 06:24 PM   #373
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
When/if you play another game, I'd like to join. This sounds fun, and I love Apples to Apples.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:55 PM   #374
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
This was a great idea Boro, and fun to watch! I'd love to sign up for the next game.

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:41 AM   #375
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I'd certainly be up for playing again.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:27 AM   #376
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

I should be able to start a new one around the end of September (like 29th-30th). Glad to see the several new faces too.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:51 AM   #377
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to A Little Green
Count me in for the next one, too, please! Sorry I missed this one, things happened.
"But some stories, small, simple ones about setting out on adventures or people doing wonders, tales of miracles and monsters, have outlasted all the people who told them, and some of them have outlasted the lands in which they were created."
A Little Green is offline   Reply With Quote