The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Closed Thread

Old 02-19-2004, 06:22 AM   #1
LembasMuncher

LOTR vs. TROY/KING ARTHUR

Hail! My first post in 2 years! Well anyway, those two epic movies are coming their way this year. Do you think they stand a chance in outweighing or even just reach the level of LOTR's onscreen magnitude? I've seen the trailers of both and I think they do come up with LOTR's scale (particularly the battle scenes in Troy as well as King Arthur w/c was really like watching a scene from the Pelennor field battle..)? *worried*..

Old 02-19-2004, 09:36 AM   #2
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Mister Underhill has been trapped in the Barrow!
What's to worry about? As a fan of epic quasi-historical adventure pics, I hope they're both great.

Wolfgang Petersen is an excellent director, so I have high hopes for Troy. On the other hand, King Arthur is directed by Antoine Fuqua, a former music-video director who now makes music-video action pictures (The Replacement Killers, Tears of the Sun), and produced by Jerry Bruckheimer, who has made a load of money, but not, frankly, by making artistically ambitious movies. So my expectations for KA are, shall we say, a bit lower.

Neither film will stir the kind of mania that LotR has. I think both projects owe more to the success of Gladiator than to the success of LotR.
Old 02-19-2004, 01:38 PM   #3
Elentári_O_Most_Mighty_1
Shade of Carn Dűm

Elentári_O_Most_Mighty_1 has just left Hobbiton.
I don't know anything about King Arthur...no, hang on, isn't Keira Knightley Guinevere in that one?
As for Troy...man, I can't wait for that one...(take a look at my avvie )

But they won't compare to LOTR...you won't get the obsessive fora and so on and websites springing up like you have for LOTR...and unless there are large numbers of people obsessing over Homer and the Athurian legends...*sniggers*

Nah, can't see it happening, to be honest. We're safely the freakiest of the freaks...
Old 02-20-2004, 01:06 AM   #4
Lathriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Wandering through Middle-Earth (Sadly in Alberta and not ME)
Lathriel has just left Hobbiton.
ALL FREAKS REJOICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway I didn't know about this King Arthur movie. Could you tell me more. Keira Knightly, Guinevere??
That sounds intersting, you made me curious.

I am not sure about Troy. they suddenly decided that Helen had to be Achele's wife. What the........!!!!!!!!
I think Troy looks a little plasticy, have you seen Brad Pitts armour. I don't know but it looked plastic.
Old 02-20-2004, 06:10 AM   #5
dancing spawn of ungoliant
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
dancing spawn of ungoliant has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to dancing spawn of ungoliant
Off topic: for King Arthur (and other movies) trailer can be found from http://www.apple.com/trailers/

I was surprised to find out, how many historical war movies there are /are coming into theatres. Have there always been so many such films or has LotR made some kind of trend of war? At least both King Arthur and Troy seemed to have _HUGE_ battle scenes...
But I don't think that neither of this two will threaten LotR's position as a...well, what is it? One of our time's greatest film epics?
Old 02-20-2004, 06:48 AM   #6
Kronos
Animated Skeleton

Kronos has just left Hobbiton.
As has already been mentioned both of these films were born more from the success of Gladiator (good box office and an Oscar) than LOTR. They both were likely to have been in the planning stages prior to the release of FOTR and it is interesting that both take a decidely non-mythological stance.
Arthur is based on more of an Ancient Briton, Celtic vibe. No knights in armour and magic swords here.
Troy is also being presented more as a historical epic than a straight interpretation of the Iliad. The Gods will not feature.

These factors seem to suggest that they are indeed based on Gladiator's success rather than LOTR. Although obviously the publics reaction to the battle scenes in TTT and ROTK will have reassured the investors greatly.
Old 02-20-2004, 03:11 PM   #7
Failivrin
Wight

Failivrin has just left Hobbiton.
I can't wait for both

I found the trailer for KA to be ABSOLUTELY BREATHTAKING. it looks simply amazing. very few trailers actually do take my breath away and this was one of them. The power of Arthur ('mark my face, fo it is the last thing you shall see upon this earth'), the majesty of Merlin and KK excelling herself. I believe she is a very competent actress and in this she looked very good. In fact, my favourite shot from the whole trailer (which i watch every week) is near the end and it is of her commanding the troops. I cannot wait to see this amazing amazing looking film.

Troy also looks very good. the shot of all the boats is amazing. The Fantastic Orlando looks very good, it has Beanie in it, and Brian Cox, and Brad Pitt; all very very good actors. I love the quote that is something like 'thousands will die, cities will fall, and for love a nation will be raized to the ground'. The only thing i don't particluarly like is all the focus on Achilles when it should really be on Paris, Hector and Odysseus.

I think they will both match or almost match LOTR in terms of cinematic spectacle, but they will not touch me as much because i am in love with Tolkien.
Old 02-20-2004, 07:01 PM   #8
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
All right! I'm nearly obsessed with historical fiction, so I'm going to be the first in line to see both King Arthur and Troy! Granted, they're not going to get a following as large as LotR's, but they will have their share of fandom.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Old 02-21-2004, 12:18 AM   #9
Lathriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Wandering through Middle-Earth (Sadly in Alberta and not ME)
Lathriel has just left Hobbiton.
I am really curious about King Arthur because there are many movie versions out there. And most of them are far from acceptable. For example Excalibur is a terrible movie. I actually saw it at school and the whole class was just laughing their heads off.
Well Finwe I love historical movies too! If you ask me those are the best kind around.All my favourite movies are historical ones. If you like historical movies you should watch Master and Commander (If you haven't already) I really enjoyed it.
And King Arthur does look really cool. This movie might actually be a good version.
Old 02-21-2004, 09:21 AM   #10
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Mister Underhill has been trapped in the Barrow!
This topic had only a thin relationship to LotR to begin with, and I think it has run its course.

Closing -- though I am compelled to say in parting that Nicol Williamson was an excellent Merlin.
Closed Thread