The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-10-2004, 06:26 PM   #1
willkill4food
Animated Skeleton

willkill4food has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to willkill4food Send a message via AIM to willkill4food
Those Little, Unimportant, and Unknown parts that we love...

Now, everyone has their favorite chapter, character, fight, battle, or whatever...but this thread is about those little unimportant and unknown things that Tolkien added without any real addition to the story and without taking anything away...Im talking about those lines, characters, and all those other things that are in the books but no one really talks about, either because they forgot about the line, or because it is not really important, or maybe they just skipped over it...but here are my favorites...

The wine that Bilbo gave to Rory Brandybuck, and where it says "Rory always thought Bilbo a little odd, but he declared him a fine fellow after the first bottle" or whatever it says..but everytime I read LotR again I always read that part and laugh out loud...

The fox in the woods in the forest, no real reason for Tolkien to narrarate what a Fox is thinking about 3 hobbits in the forest...but I just love it...dont know why...

When Merry turns to Pippin (or Pippin turns to Merry, cant remember) after meeting King Theoden and says "So that's the King of Rohan, fine chap, very polite."....best Hobbit quote..ever! (next to Frodo's quote regarding wizards..)

The Dwarves of Belegost at the 5th Battle in the Silmarillion...I just love where the dwarves lift up their dead king and carry him out of the battle as if they are at a funeral, and the best part of it all is "and none dared stay them", and I think everyone knows why, commonsense says "Dont mess with an army of angry dwarves with giant, hideous masks and giant battle axes as they march their dead king off of the battle field"

And yours?

-willkill
Old 02-10-2004, 07:46 PM   #2
Corwyn Celesil
Haunting Spirit

Corwyn Celesil has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I love many of the chapter titles. Have you noticed that the first chapter of LotR, "A Long-Expected Party," harkens back to the first chapter of The Hobbit, "An Unexpected Party"? Also Chapter 6 of Book VI of RotK, "Many Partings," is like Chapter 1 of Book II of FotR, "Many Meetings."
Tolkien does things like that all through the books. Three times, once in each of the books, he mentions something about Aragorn having a star on his head. In FotR, in "Fog on the Barrow-downs," the hobbits
Quote:
had a vision as it were of a great expanse of years behind them, like a vast shadowy plain over which there strode shapes of Men, tall and grim with bright swords, and last came one with a star on his brow.
In TTT, in "The Riders of Rohan,"
Quote:
For a moment it seemed to Legolas that a white flame flickered on the brows of Aragorn like a shining crown.
And in RotK, in "The Steward and the King," when Aragorn is crowned,
Quote:
his head was bare save for a star upon his forehead, bound by a slender fillet of silver.
I suppose this is a rather important point rather than being insignificant, but the mentions are so fleeting that I wonder how many people have noticed their parallelisms?
Then came there from the south of the city the people of the Fountain, and Ecthelion was their lord, and silver and diamonds were their delight; and swords very long and bright and pale did they wield . . .
Corwyn Celesil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 08:19 PM   #3
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Quote:
... had a vision as it were of a great expanse of years behind them, like a vast shadowy plain over which there strode shapes of Men, tall and grim with bright swords, and last came one with a star on his brow.
I think that was the line that affected me the most, since it was a foreshadowing of Aragorn and his kin. I always remembered that vision of tall, grim Men with bright swords, and one with a star on his brow, and when I met Aragorn, I just knew that this was the one.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 08:43 PM   #4
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Location: The port of Mars, where Famine, Sword, and Fire, leash'd in like hounds, crouch for employment
Kransha has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Kransha
I believe Frodo's line;
Quote:
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
...ranks as one of those tidbits that is always amusing and sticks out in one's mind.

Also, many of the various things written in the "Battle of Pelennor Fields" chapter are unimportant, yet enjoyable. Most of the superfluous dialogue between Eowyn and the Witch-King, although it's really not superfluous, and the reactions to Theoden's death and Eowyn's supposed death by Eomer and the Rohirrim.

-Aeschylus, Song of the Furies
Kransha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 10:23 PM   #5
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Oh, yes, I was going to talk about the Fox That is one of my favorite parts of the story. Just him going by, and thinking that the hobbits out in the country was odd. It really had nothing to do (in my opinion) with the main storyline, but it was just nice. I also love the quote about Theoden from Pippin. After all the serious things that are going on in the book, that just seems to be there to remind you that you can take the hobbit of of the Shire, but you can never take the Shire out of the hobbit

I additionally think that the counting game that Gimli and Legolas plays is another enjoyable thing, that is just like icing on the cake. It adds some humor to the story, but then it doesn't distract from it.
Old 02-11-2004, 03:24 AM   #6
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

My all-time favorite 'insignificant' lines are these: (They were my signature quote for a long time during my first months here on the Downs.)
Quote:
"Mercy!", cried Gandalf. "If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?" "The names of all the stars, and of all living things, and the whole history of Middle-earth and Over-heaven and of the Sundering Seas," laughed Pippin. "Of course! What less? But I am not in a hurry tonight."
They are so characteristic of the two persons involved and show their personalities so vividly. I think that these little touches of characterization are what make the book so alive! And incidentally, Pippin's all-encompassing curiosity is similar in scope to my own!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 03:56 AM   #7
Eorl of Rohan
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eorl of Rohan has just left Hobbiton.
I just LOVE my quote. It is from HOME, and that particular sentence of Huan embedded itself deep in my memory. And also another from HOME,

Quote:
"Speak not thus to me, though mighty of cats you be, for am I not Tinuviel princess of fairies that have stepped out of my way to do thee a favor?"
This one was pretty amusing, more so becuase it was LUTHIEN of all people saying it. She is described remotely, but in this sentences one can really believe that she was a real person. That brings another quote to my mind - though I am not sure if it is right, and I am too lazy to check.

Quote:
"For shame, Father! Here is Beren son of Barahir that you have driven out into the wilderness and to Morgoth with your bitter jesting!"Tinuviel cried, tossing her head, and many of the people marvelled at her new and fearless mood. But Beren said, "Nay, the king thy father hath the right."
Quote:
And the forgotten poet recalled how tall and fair was Eorl the young, when he rode out of the North to the battle of Celebrant.
Quote:
Behold Argonath, the pillars of the kings!
By Aragorn also struck me as wonderful - majestical, somehow.

As well as the poetry in LOTR that few people seem to notice - the poetry by a forgotten poet in Rohan about the battle of Pelennor fields. I was surprised that very few people seemed to notice it.

Quote:
WE heard of the horns ringing in the hills
Sword shining in the south-kingdom
Death in the morning and at day's ending
The lords took and lowly, long now they sleep
under grass, in Gondor, by the great river
Grey now as tears, gleaming silver
REd then it rolled, roaring water
Foam dyed with blood flamed at sunset
And as beacons mountains burned at evening
Red fell the dew in Rammas Echor
Old 02-11-2004, 05:36 AM   #8
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Evisse the Blue has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Yahoo to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Skype™ to Evisse the Blue
Quote:
I was surprised that very few people seemed to notice it.
I noticed it alright - it's beautiful! Don't forget its 'pair", the one about the muster of Rohan, same style:

"(...) Forth rode the king, fear behind him,
fate before him. Fealty kept he;
oaths he had taken, all fulfilled them.
(.....) Doom drove them on. Darkness took them,
horse and horseman; hoofbeats afar
sank into silence; so the songs tell us."

Oh, and some of the other bits that I enjoy:
- about the Pukel men;
- Tom Bombadil calling and naming the ponys
Oh and before I forget: One of my favourite quotes from the book:
Quote:
It is time to get up. It is half past four and very foggy.
(Merry waking up Frodo, chapter Old Forest . Imagine being Frodo, knowing there's the mother of all dangerous and compulsory quests lying ahead of you, you've just been brutally awakened from a beautiful dream about the Sea and on top of it all, it's half past four and very foggy. Woah. Exceptional cruelty...

Speaking of sleep, there are many bits about sleep that I love, and when I read them I feel like putting the book down and sleeping sound as a baby! Take for instance, the scenes with the hobbits sleeping in the house of Bombadil, or with Merry and Pippin at Wellinghall:
Quote:
Merry and Pippin climbed on to the bed and curled up in the soft grass and fern. It was fresh and sweet scented and warm. the lights died down, and the glow of the trees faded; but outside under the arch they could see old Treebeard standing, motionsless, with his arms raised above his head. The bright stars peered out of the sky, and lit the falling water as it spilled on to his fingers and head, and dripped, dropped, in hundreds of silver drops on to his feet. Listening to the tinkling of the drops the hobbits fell asleep.
Old 02-11-2004, 11:01 AM   #9
Ashton
Animated Skeleton

Ashton has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Quote:
"Not idly do the leaves of Lorien fall."
This line really seems quite insagnificant, but I really love it for some reason. It just has that ring of hope in it. Also it is at the part of the book that you don't even know if Merry and Pippin are alive after being caught by the Uruk-ai. It kind of gives you the hope that the company is looking for.

Also I like the "All that is gold does not glitter" poem. It is my favorite poem. It really decribes Aragorn really well. It also helps forshadow his future, His "destiny".
Old 02-11-2004, 12:26 PM   #10
evenstar_0404
Animated Skeleton

evenstar_0404 has just left Hobbiton.
Dark-Eye

My favorit is in my signature
Old 02-11-2004, 03:10 PM   #11
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
The fox is one of my favorite parts too. It is almost like Tolkien decided one day, 'Hey, I'm just going to stick a fox in here.'

Another part that I like is just after Frodo wakes up after Gildor had left and Pippin is trying to talk to him and Frodo says that he just wants to think while he is eating.

The part about Bilbo giving out gifts to people when he left the Shire is also a part I always enjoy, especially the part about Lobelia's spoons.

I can't think of anymore right now. I know there are more but as they are the "little and unimportant parts", no more are coming to mind.
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 04:28 PM   #12
galadriel'smaiden
Haunting Spirit

galadriel'smaiden has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to galadriel'smaiden
fave

God, I love the bath song from the hobbit. Cant help it. Its just sooooo cute, and I take only baths, not showers, so I really loved the bath song.
galadriel'smaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 05:37 PM   #13
Carlas
Shade of Carn Dûm

Carlas has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Carlas
Palantir-Green

Hey galadriel'smaiden, me too! I've always loved the bathsong, though I never really knew why. Maybe it's because I always used to sing in the bath when I was small!

Another is:

Quote:
'You'll live to regret it, young fellow! Why didn't you go to? You don't belong here; you're no Baggins-you-you're a Brandybuck!'
This line has always made me laugh because I love the Brandybucks, and that isn't much of an insult. More of a compliment I'd say!

And,

Quote:
The fox in the woods in the forest
That is also another of my favourites! But ever since I first read that part, I have always wondered what happened to it....
Old 02-12-2004, 07:10 AM   #14
Lady Alasse
Wight

Lady Alasse has just left Hobbiton.
I've always liked the character Goldberry. She is my Grandpa's favorite character. He says she reminds him of my mom. She really doesn't do to much in the book, but there's just something about her.
He teacheth my hands to war; so that a bow of steel is broken by my arms.-II Samuel 22:35
Lady Alasse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 07:36 AM   #15
zb
Haunting Spirit

zb has just left Hobbiton.
I love the way JRRT phrases things. The less conventional word-orders, for example, as in "Death! they cried, with one voice and terrible". Or, there's a section in RotK, when Pippin's in Minas Tirith (I think it's where Denny's going nuts) and nearly every sentence starts with "and". (aside: I wonder if he was reading Mark's gospel at the time he was writing that?)

I also love the quote, mentioned earlier:

Quote:
... had a vision as it were of a great expanse of years behind them, like a vast shadowy plain over which there strode shapes of Men, tall and grim with bright swords, and last came one with a star on his brow.
Mmmmm... That is such the echo of a song we have not heard, as CS Lewis would say... (would the emoticon for 'joy-in-the-csl-sense' be ?)

2 more to go:

Quote:
The way is shut, his voice said again. It was made by those who are Dead, and the Dead keep it, until the time comes. The way is shut.
Quote:
Here do I swear fealty and service to Gondor ... from this hour henceforth, until my lord release me, or death take me, or the world end.
Go the italics bits (my italics) which didn't make it to the movies!
"Do you think I am trying to weave a spell? Perhaps I am; but remember your fairy tales. Spells are used for breaking enchantments as well as inducing them. And you and I have need of the strongest spell that can be found to wake us from the evil enchantment of worldliness..." - C.S. Lewis
zb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 08:12 AM   #16
Liriodendron
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Liriodendron has just left Hobbiton.
Boots Geez, I like ole Tom....

It has no special meaning, but this line from chapter 7..."In the House of Tom Bombadill" is a standout for me:
"Frodo stood near the open door and watched the white chalky path turn into a little river of milk and go bubbling away down into the valley."
I become Frodo when reading this line. I am there.
Old 02-12-2004, 08:54 AM   #17
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Guinevere is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Silmaril

I agree with you, zb, I am also very fond of the "archaic" language Tolkien uses: and I love all the alliterative verses!
I think his use of different styles adds to the feeling that the characters appear so real and believable and "historical". It also produces what Tolkien once called "the heartracking sense of the vanished past."

But what I like especially, (and hadn't noticed when I read it the first time..!) are all those "proverbs" and wise sayings that are everywhere in Tolkien's work. Things that a character says that relate to the situation in the book, but at the same time convey a general and timeless meaning.
Once I had become aware of it, I keep finding more and more of those! I think Tolkien must be quite unique in this respect!

eg: "The wide world is all about you, you can fence yourselves in, but you cannot forever fence it out."
"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens"
"Faithful heart may have foreward tongue"
"Of evil will shall evil mar" "Oft hope is born when all is forlorn" and so on (See also the Gaffers mixed-up proverbs game on the Main page of the BD!)

One of my favourites is what Haldir says:
Quote:
The world is indeed full of peril and in it there are many dark places. But still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater.
Old 02-12-2004, 10:06 AM   #18
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
I like the Lay of Nimrodel best. FotR would have been worse if Tolkien hadn't had Legolas singing it under the trees in Lorien.

And I like all the notes that Bilbo put on all his gifts to relatives and friends....some of them were very humerous.

Cheers!
Imladris

Imladris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 10:12 AM   #19
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Silmaril

I love so many little things... many in TTT, which I don't have with me at the moment... This right here is probably my absolute favorite:
Quote:
"Where be you a-going?" says she.
"To Bag End," says they.
"What for?" says she.
"To put up some sheds for Sharkey." says they.
"Who said you could?" says she.
"Sharkey," says they. "So get out o' the road, ole hagling!"
"I'll give you Sharkey, you dirty thieving ruffians!" says she, and ups with her umbrella and goes for the leader, near twice her size.
I also truly love descriptions, ones that many people miss, or under-appreciate.
Quote:
Shrill and clear he crowed, recking nothing of wizardry or war, welcoming only the morning that in the sky far above the shadows of death was coming with the dawn. And as if in answer there came from far away another note... Rohan had come at last.
Quote:
He seized the great horn from Guthlaf his banner-bearer, and he blew such a blast upon it that it burst asunder. And straightaway all the horns in the host were lifted up in music, and the blowing of the horns of Rohan in that hour was like a storm upon the plain and a thunder in the mountains.
Quote:
... He beheld his sister Eowyn as she lay, and he knew her. He stood a moment as a man who is pierced in the midst of a cry by an arrow through the heart; and then his face went deathly white, and a cold fury rose in him, so that all speech failed him for a while.
And then, the best quote in the Trilogy (or at least most amusin):
Quote:
"You must send for the herbmaster of this House. And he will tell you that he did not know that the herb you desire had any virtues, but that it is called westmansweed by the vulgar, and galenas by the noble, and other names in other tongues more learned, and after adding a few half-forgotten rhymes that he does not understand, he will regretfully inform you that there is none in the House, and he will leave you to reflect on the history of tongues."
And to finish it off:
Quote:
"Was there ever any one like him?" he said. "Except Gandalf, of course. I think they must be related."
Old 02-12-2004, 10:43 AM   #20
Mariska Greenleaf
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mariska Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I agree with a lot of above quotes.
To me, it's mostly about the humorous bits, well, what I think is funny anyway...

Quote:
It will not help us to keep so secret that we are frozen to death.
Boromir in FOTR about whether or not take the pass of Caradhras.

Quote:
I don't know how you with small rag-tag dangling behind you; but the rag-tag is tired and will be glad to stop dangling and lie down.
Merry to Gandalf in TTT.

Quote:
I hope that the forgotten people will not have forgotten how to fight.
Gimli before entering the Paths of the Death in ROTK

These are just random examples of phrases that amuse me a lot, simple but brilliant if you ask me. I could add so much more, but I won't, don't worry...
Old 02-12-2004, 02:33 PM   #21
Carlas
Shade of Carn Dûm

Carlas has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Carlas
I also like how JRRT purposely changed words like 'elfish' to 'elvish' and 'elfin' to 'elven' and so on. I think it looks almost delicate and fair, which perfectly suits the elves. (I mean really...elfish ?)
Old 02-12-2004, 03:09 PM   #22
Failivrin
Wight

Failivrin has just left Hobbiton.
I really love the fox too! I love how it survived from the first draft.

I love Felagund's reason to Galadriel for why he will not take a wife in the Silm. i can't remember the quote, but it's about how he shall swear an oath that he cannot break and he must be free to go into darkness.

I think the lines:

"And Morgoth came."
and
"Fingolfin named Morgoth craven, and Lord of slaves"
and
"and Fingolfin drew his sword, Ringil that glittered like ice."

are fantastic.

One more from The Silm. that i love is

"Their bed was the soft heather and their roof the cloudy sky"

something like that- i can't remember it exactly. The description of Luthine @blue was her raiment...." is also good.

Finally, i love Tolkien's names for everything. My favourites at the moment are:

Felagund, Tevildo Prince of Cats, Fingolfin, Thingol, Damrod and Diriel, Taur nu Fuin, Dor nu Fauglith, Angband, Ulmo, Glorfindel, At the Sign of The Prancing Pony, The King of the Golden Hall, The Steward and the King and The Ride of the Rohirrim.
Old 02-12-2004, 05:19 PM   #23
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Pipe

I've thought of some more. Many of them are from "The Scouring of the Shire".
Quote:
We shall break a good many things yet and not ask you to answer.
Quote:
Now who's arrested who?
Quote:
"And where are those precious shirriffs?" "Coming along nicely."
Quote:
Scaring Breeland peasants, and bullying bewildered hobbits, had been their work. Fearless hobbits with bright swords and grim faces were a great surprise.
Heck, let's just say I like the whole chapter. Did I say many of the quotes? How about all?

I also love the language Tolkien uses. It adds to the "historical" feeling of the story. The part about the person in the Houses of Healing not having althelas is another good part.
Quote:
To me, it's mostly about the humorous bits, well, what I think is funny anyway...
Yeah, that's me too. Most of the quotes I've written down (Both here and in my previous post) made me laugh.
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 08:03 AM   #24
galadriel'smaiden
Haunting Spirit

Lobelia's Evil Look

I loved it when Gandalf siad-

I saw her with a horse pull and a face that could curdle new milk.

And Frodo responded-

She has already curdled me!

Lurve it.
Old 02-14-2004, 05:07 PM   #25
Lathriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Wandering through Middle-Earth (Sadly in Alberta and not ME)
Lathriel has just left Hobbiton.
I just like the whole Sackville-Bagginsess thing because the idea of very annoying relatives can be very amusing.
I always liked the part where Obelia tried to sneak out some silver spoons by putting them in her umbrella. Than as a parting gift she gets those silver spoons. That was very thoughtful of Bilbo.

I also liked the fox part, I don't know but somehow it adds a little brightness before the darkness comes.

Eevery time I read LOTR again I always enjoy the part in Rivendell when Bilbo and Frodo leave the Fire hall and they hear a fragment of A Elbereth Gilthoniel. In general I have never minded the songs since I like poetry a lot. However I have heard people complaining about all those songs in LOTR. I always find that kinda annoying.
Old 02-14-2004, 05:33 PM   #26
Maédhros
The Kinslayer

Maédhros has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Maédhros
From the Wanderings of Húrin
Quote:
But Húrin did not look at the stone, for he knew what was written there, and, his eyes had seen that he was not alone. Sitting in the shadow of the stone there was a figure bent over its knees Some homeless wanderer broken with age it seemed, too wayworn to heed his coming; but its rags were the remnants of a woman's garb. At length as Húrin stood there silent she cast back her tattered hood and lifted up her face slowly, haggard and hungry as a long-hunted wolf. Grey she was, sharp-nosed with broken teeth, and with a lean hand she clawed at the cloak upon her breast. But suddenly her eyes looked into his, and then Húrin knew her; for though they were wild now and full of fear, a light still gleamed in them hard to endure: the elven-light that long ago had earned her her name, Eðelwen, proudest of mortal women in the days of old.
'Eðelwen! Eðelwen!' Húrin cried; and she rose and stumbled forward, and he caught her in his arms.
'You come at last,' she said. 'I have waited too long.
'It was a dark road. I have come as I could,' he answered.
'But you are late,' she said, 'too late. They are lost.'
'I know,' he said. 'But thou art not.'
'Almost,' she said. 'I am spent utterly. I shall go with the sun. They are lost.' She clutched at his cloak. 'Little time is left,' she said. 'If you know, tell me! How did she find him?'
But Húrin did not answer, and he sat beside the stone with Morwen in his arms; and they did not speak again. The sun went down, and Morwen sighed and clasped his hand and was still; and Húrin knew that she had died.
So passed Morwen the proud and fair; and Húrin looked down at her in the twilight, and it seemed that the lines of grief and cruel hardship were smoothed away. Cold and pale and stem was her face. 'She was not conquered,' he said; and he closed her eyes, and sat on unmoving beside her as night drew down. The waters of Cabed Naeramarth roared on, but he heard no sound and saw nothing, and he felt nothing, for his heart was stone within him, and he thought that he would sit there until he too died.
Looking at all that happened with their children and her husband, why did Morwen endured all of that time? With everything that happened to Morwen why did she clung to hope?
When I read that part it broke my heart, and to me that is the love story of the Sil.
Old 02-15-2004, 07:17 AM   #27
Eorl of Rohan
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eorl of Rohan has just left Hobbiton.
And there is also this part about Maedhros' rescue by Finrod. I am too lazy by far to post the whole paragraph like MAedhros did, but after that paragraph I was a Maedhros-worshipper for ever. I tried to take Maedhros for my ID, but unfortunately that was already taken.

Quote:
Yet Morgoth had as little thought of faith as had they.
Wonderful! Maedhros tries to betray Morgoth and gets betrayed by their attempt of betrayal and MAedhros is taken prisoner.

Quote:
But they were constrained by their oath, and they knew that whatsoever they might do Morgoth will not release Maedhros.
What a dilemma.

Quote:
So Morgoth took him and hung him on a precipice of Thangoridrim by his rigth wrist enclosed in a band of steel
Poor Maedhros...

Quote:
Even though he did not know that Maedhros had not forgotten him in the burning of the ships
This quote shows that Maedhros was not evil, but actually loyal, wise and a powerful elf.

Quote:
And a faint answering voice called to him. It was Maedhros that sang amid his torment.
My FAVORITE quote out of countless other quotes in Tokien's works

Quote:
O King to whom the birds are most dear, speed now this feathered shaft and recall some pity for the Nolder in their need!
Desperate heart-wrenching cry. I always thought this part the most sorrowful part of all.

Quote:
But he could not release the hell-wrought bond nor remove the rock from the cliff, and Maedhros again begged him to slay him in his pain
Old 02-16-2004, 12:07 PM   #28
galadriel'smaiden
Haunting Spirit

Tolkien

When in the chapter Strider it talks about how Aragorn put his feet on the table, I laugh every time. Its so casual and for most of the book Mr. Grim King Elendil is sooooooooooooo serious and grim.
Old 02-16-2004, 02:20 PM   #29
One of the Nine
Haunting Spirit

Location: In my mind. What? Why are you looking at me like that?
One of the Nine has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to One of the Nine Send a message via MSN to One of the Nine
I liked Ashton's a while back
Quote:
"Not idly do the leaves of Lorien fall."
In the movie, the music playing there is the best.
Old 02-16-2004, 03:52 PM   #30
Failivrin
Wight

Oh Oh! "Well what did you do that for?" asked Strider when he had reappeared, "worse than anything your friends could have done. You have put your foot in it! Or should i say your finger?"
Old 02-19-2004, 02:57 PM   #31
BeeBombadil
Animated Skeleton

BeeBombadil has just left Hobbiton.
"Aiiiiii, a Balrog!", cracks me up every time. Very un-Legolas-like. Can't say I blame him though.

"I will take it, though I do not know the way", chokes me up every time. It means so much...and poor Frodo has no idea of what's to come or what it will cost him.

"I will not say, do not weep, for not all tears are an evil." A wonderful thought.

There are so many in these books...I could go on all day.
BeeBombadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 03:53 PM   #32
Laivine
Wight

Laivine has just left Hobbiton.
So many of the quotes that have already been posted, are quotes which mean alot to me in the books, and some make me laugh every time I read them. But still, there are a few quotes (well actually there are more than a few, but I'm lazy, and can't be bothered to type in that many) that I think should be mentioned. Oh, and some of the quotes might miss parts; like the first one, where the speakers are left out etc. I have alot of quotes and thing like that written down in a little book, and I'm using that when I write them in.

Quote:
"Do we walk in legends or on the green earth in daylight?" "A man may do both, for not we, but those who come after will make the legends of our time. The green earth say you? That is a mighty matter of legend, though you tread it under the light of day!"
Quote:
In the morning counsels are best, and night changes many thoughts.
Quote:
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.
Quote:
Hope is not victory.
Ooh, and last, but in my opinion, not least.. I cannot help but laugh, when I picture the hobbits flying away.
Quote:
Well, here is the strangest riddle we yet have found!" exclaimed Legolas. "A bound prisoner escapes both from the Orcs and from the surrounding horsemen. He then stops, while in the open, and cuts his bonds with an orc-knife. But how and why? For if his legs were tied, how did he walk? And if his arms were tied, how did he use the knife? And if neither were tied, why did he cut the cords at all? Being pleased with his skill, he then sat down and quietly ate som waybread! That at least is enough to show that he was a hobbit, without the mallorn-leaf. After that, I suppose he turned his arms into wings and flew away singing into the trees. It should be easy to find him; we only need wings ourselves!
I do not doubt I could go on forever, but it would probably be best if I just stop here..
Old 02-20-2004, 04:23 AM   #33
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Evisse the Blue has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Yahoo to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Skype™ to Evisse the Blue
From Unfinished Tales - Turin slays Brodda, and his wife Aerin, who has ever helped his kin, begs him to leave swiftly. Turin calls her faint of heart, and asks her to come with him. She refuses:
Quote:
The snow lies upon the land, but deeper upon my head (..) I should die as soon in the wild with you as with the brute Easterlings.
Turin and his companions leave.
Quote:
Then looking back they saw a red light far off in the land they had left. "They have fired the hall" said Turin. "To what purpose is that?" "They? No, lord: she I guess", said one, Asgon by name. "Many a man of arms misread patience and quiet. She did much good among us at much cost. Her heart was not faint, and patience will break at last."
I was startled at this outcome, and the reason for my surprise was that I had identified with Turin's perception of that woman as 'born for kinder times' and generous but lacking courage. I guess here is a difference beween overt courage and hidden courage, which is often taken for granted. Whenever I read this passage I am reminded of the conversation between Aragorn and Eowyn before he takes his leave.
Old 02-20-2004, 05:05 PM   #34
Eothain Elfwine
Animated Skeleton

Eothain Elfwine has just left Hobbiton.
Shield Insignificance and providence

I love how Tolkien uses that which is insignificant to become significant. For instance, hobbits themselves are insignificant, weak, not wise. Yet they shape the history of Middle-earth. Strider is seen as a slightly dangerous nobody in Bree, yet he later shows his great significance. Gandalf, a dirty, wandering, grey-clad, quick-tempered fellow is the mover of many great deeds. And many things that happen in insignificance turn out to be greatly significant. Bilbo's simple decision to have pity on Gollum ends in the saving of the world. Much that seems completely insignificant is guided by something . Gandalf himself says at one point that something was very lucky "if you want to call it luck" (or something like that). Everywhere throughout the books are hints that point to something greater and guiding, if you know how to see them.
Old 02-21-2004, 11:44 PM   #35
Dininziliel
Wight

Dininziliel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

From "Of the Ruin of Beleriand"--Fingolfin challenges Morgoth to single combat:
Quote:
. . . and it is said that he took not the challenge willingly; for though his might was greatest of all things in this world, alone of the Valar he knew fear.
Tolkien really knew how to treat fear.
Old 02-22-2004, 03:46 AM   #36
Lostregiel
Pile O'Bones

Lostregiel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Lostregiel Send a message via Yahoo to Lostregiel
One of my favourite characters is Gildor, I love his conversation with Frodo, specially this quote:

Quote:
Our paths cross theirs seldom, by chance or purpose. In this meeting there may be more than chance, but the purpose is not clear to me and I fear to say too much.
and about "Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards...", was is not Gildor who said it? and then Frodo replied "They also say do not go to the Elves for counsel, for they will say you both no and yes"?

I love all the poetry in the books, though just in the English version, I don´t like them that much in spanish, I suppose that could be why some people dislike poetry in lotR. My favourite one is "I sit beside the fire", and Galadriel words to Legolas, when she tells him to beware of the Sea

I also like when Legolas says in RotK something like :

Quote:
My people and I shall go there(or something like that), and then it shall be blessed for a while. For a while: a month, a life, a hundred years of Men! But Anduin is near, and Anduin leads down to the Sea. To the Sea!
I think it reflects very well what time means for Elves, as well as Legolas´s desire to leave Middle Earth

LOSTREGIEL

¡Ay por Lothlorien! Será una vida alejada de los mellyrn. Pues si hay árboles mallorn más allá del Mar, nadie lo ha dicho.
Lostregiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 12:03 PM   #37
Failivrin
Wight

Quote:
Originally posted by Dininziliel
From "Of the Ruin of Beleriand"--Fingolfin challenges Morgoth to single combat:

Tolkien really knew how to treat fear.
That quote reminds me! "Morgoth came slowly, climbing from his subterranean throne and his footsteps were like thunder."

Something about the subterranean throne part really is amazing.
Old 02-22-2004, 05:32 PM   #38
Macphisto
Pile O'Bones

Macphisto has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Macphisto
I always really liked Aragorn's rant about the Warden and pipeweed, but for irrelevant characters I hold fast by Ghan-Buri-Ghan. Enough said. I haven't got a book nearby to quote, but the Yoda-esque speech makes me grin every time.
Old 02-23-2004, 06:26 PM   #39
Sindar

My favorite part of the Scouring of the Shire is all of the interaction between the hobbits and the shirriffs. Such as Pippin breaking rule 4 by using the last of the firewood, and the hobbits delaying starting early simply because it obviously annoyed the shirriff-leader. It was just so comical.
Old 02-23-2004, 07:02 PM   #40
Lathriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Wandering through Middle-Earth (Sadly in Alberta and not ME)
Lathriel has just left Hobbiton.
One part that I always like is when Gollum is described on Cirth Ungol just before Shelob's cave. As he watches Frodo sleeping peacefully he is described as no longer evil Gollum but simply a hobbit who looks tired because he has lived beyond his years. That part clearly shows that Gollum was not always evil and even now some good might still be hidden somewhere within him.