The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-22-2004, 08:07 PM   #1
Gil Galad
Haunting Spirit

Gil Galad has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Gil Galad Send a message via Yahoo to Gil Galad
Sting Where does Legolas get his arrows from? (Helm's Deep)

Alright at the Battle of the Hornburg, when Theoden calls the order to retreat, you see Legolas and another elf pulling Gimli out (that was funny) you notice that legolas has no arrows in his quiver, yet when he gets to the tower he pulls out an arrow FROM a fully loaded quiver, when he shoots the rope causing the giant ladder to fall, Where did he get those arrows???????

Certainty of death, small chance of success... what are we waiting for?- Gimli ROTK
Gil Galad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 08:49 PM   #2
Calenamarthiel
Pile O'Bones

Calenamarthiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

In the book there are some lines from Legolas saying that he has to collect arrows, because all of his are spent. I can't recall the exact lines, but they were something to that effect. This usually happened during a lull in the battle, but since the movie didn't show any of those (time constraints, as usual), then it looked like Legolas had renewable arrows. Hope this helps.
Old 01-22-2004, 08:55 PM   #3
Silmiel of Imladris
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmiel of Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Silmiel of Imladris
Sting

The video game has a cheat code to keep renewing his arrows, maybe he has something like that.

Figwit on his name: Are you suggesting that I have the wit of a fig?
Silmiel of Imladris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 08:56 PM   #4
Elassar 516

Elassar 516 has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

Didn't you read the memo? Legolas is perfect, that means he can do impossible stunts (like singlehandedly bringing down a mûmak) and in addition he <I>never</I> runs out of arrows. Sarcasm aside though, maybe he was supposed to go looking for more arrows and then they decided to cut that part out, or they just figured it wasn't important and that nobody would notice. Personally I think they totaly screwed up his character in the movies.
Elassar 516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 08:59 PM   #5
Gil Galad
Haunting Spirit

Gil Galad has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Gil Galad Send a message via Yahoo to Gil Galad
Sting

Possibly but it is still weird though.

Certainty of death, small chance of success... what are we waiting for?- Gimli ROTK
Gil Galad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 09:09 PM   #6
Silmiel of Imladris
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

One of my friends and I were talking about something similar. I asked why Legolas had a saddle and bridle on his horse when in the book he didn't use one. My friend gave a simple explaination, "He is an Elf, he can do whatever the hell he wants." Thats a good enough reason for me where the movies are concerned.

Old 01-22-2004, 10:00 PM   #7
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Knight of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Knight of Gondor
Shield

I would guess Legolas could have easily grabbed a handful of arrows from a store that was against the walls -- no doubt they had many.<P>As for the horse harnesses, it was a little disappointing that Legolas had a saddle, but even more disappointing was the way Gandalf was never shown getting up on Shadowfax...OR the fact that you could at times see the saddle underneath his robes.
Eagerly awaiting the REAL Return of the King - Jesus Christ! Revelation 19:11-16
Knight of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 10:21 PM   #8
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Personally, I can't imagine trying to see an elf collecting arrows in the middle of an exciting action sequence. Totally unreal for a movie. It would disrupt the entire flow of the sequence. But aside from that, he probably did it just like he did it in the books: grabbed them from corpses. PJ just didn't show it.<P>As for the saddle: there are safety issues in riding bareback. Especially for one as old as Ian McKellan. Also, it's not as if Legolas's horse was an elvish horse: he got it from the Rohirrim and though in the books he took them off, it would have disrupted the mood probably. Remember, it's a movie not a book.

Imladris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 10:33 PM   #9
Silmiel of Imladris
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

It probably wasn't much of a saddle on Shadowfax anyway. Most likely a bareback pad which is pretty much just a cloth saddle pad with stirups attached.

Old 01-22-2004, 10:49 PM   #10
Lord of Angmar
Tyrannus Incorporalis

Lord of Angmar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>pretty much just a cloth saddle pad with stirups attached.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Sounds like a regular saddle to me.
Old 01-22-2004, 11:02 PM   #11
Silmiel of Imladris
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Nope not even close. A regular saddle is stiff with a tree (frame) made of wood and usually covered with leather. It is made to give support. The saddle is held on the horse by the sinch. The bare back pads I have seen are the sheeps wool looking type cloth with a little stuffing and foam with stirups attached and it has no sinch. It just sets on the horse's back and you hold it on with your own body weight. All this pad helps with is comfort and maybe a little balance. Ahhh... I have gone rambling again. You just had to start me Angmar. Just a quick lesson in saddles to keep my fellow Downers informed.<p>[ 12:02 AM January 23, 2004: Message edited by: Silmiel of Imladris ]

Old 01-22-2004, 11:38 PM   #12
Gashberz
Haunting Spirit

Gashberz has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Gashberz
Sting

His butt
Old 01-23-2004, 11:36 AM   #13
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

I suppose they felt that they had to somehow stick to the books. I agree, they didn't put an "official" saddle on Shadowfax, but they rigged up the sort of blanket-type thing so that Sir Ian would be able to gallop on the horse without sliding a lot. Only an experienced horseman would have been able to ride bareback and fight the way that he did.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 08:33 PM   #14
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Boots

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> In the book there are some lines from Legolas saying that he has to collect arrows, because all of his are spent. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Precisely. Do we really have to have <I>everything</I> spelled out for us in the films, or is there perhaps some scope for us to use our imagination?