The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-14-2007, 08:54 AM   #1
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
A Gollum to your Smeagol?

Now that we have the "Who's your..." Sammy, Gandalf and Frodo threads, I thought to add just one more. Do you have a Gollum or Smeagol, assuming that you are one of the pair? Is there someone with whom you are/were very close to the point of almost having the same thoughts, but it many ways are complete opposites?

I have my own Gollum or Gollums - making me the Smeagol - and will relate that story after reading a few of yours.

P.S. Let me know if I've not defined my terms clearly.
Old 09-14-2007, 03:14 PM   #2
smeagollives
Animated Skeleton

smeagollives has just left Hobbiton.
Well, guess i am Gollum. This is me:

Hope there is a Smeagol for my Gollum.

Actually, i am not sure if i understand your question right. Do you mean if there is another person who is our evil/good twin?

Or do you mean to ask if we are in some way a personality with a good side and a bad one?
smeagollives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 08:22 PM   #3
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I had a friend back in college who frequently had the identical thought as mine; which I found very exciting and intriguing. But I can't say that one of us was Smeagol and the other Gollum.

I think everyone has both a Gollum and a Smeagol on the inside, to some degree.
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 02:51 PM   #4
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Yes, the proverbial evil twin - though by saying 'evil' I hate to put someone off, and so twin in which you are not identical but mostly are.
Old 09-18-2007, 01:28 PM   #5
smeagollives
Animated Skeleton

smeagollives has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

I am not sure. I do not think there are many people out there who are like me...
but sometimes i have identical thoughts with big chris (the guy i told you about, who is my sam). but i do not think that this happens, because we are twins. i just happenes because we have been knowing each other for so long.

Anyways: I am the evil twin . When we were younger he told me many a times "I would not do that". Other peoples always said "Do what??? He was not about to do something"... but he can 'read my mind' and always knows what i was about to do.

Sometimes when i am about to do something stupid i think what he would tell me and i think he'd tell me "it's not a great idea". i am very prone to having not so great ideas.

So he is having a good influence on me... and i am having a bad influence on him. His parents have been telling him since we were kids not to associate with a boy like me cause they are trouble. and they are still telling him that now that he has a family of his own (and now that i am earning a college degree and am not anylonger the no good scallywag i used to be and now that we do not see each other very often), i guess some things never change and if it would change i would be very confused.

So, who is your Gollum/Smeagol?
smeagollives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 10:26 AM   #6
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

Twofer

His nick was "Haughty Scotty," and he was my Gollum.

HS and I grew up together. Though I had many 'friends' (preferring at that time the shotgun approach to friendship), HS and a few others were closer than some. He definitely brought out my more mischievous side. HS was gregarious, radically rascally and a practical genius in math - he tested very high on various aptitude tests, and this made him an excellent Dungeon Master when we played AD&D.

HS and I were close enough that with a look (or more likely a sly grin) we knew exactly what the other was thinking, to the consternation of others, especially his mother. Now we both came from divorced families, though I got a new father figure, HS never did, and I think that made much of the difference in how we proceeded in life. We were, even early on, considered to be each other's twin though we looked absolutely nothing alike. A bus driver, subject to our humor, named us "Rif" and "Raf," though I'm not sure which was me.

I can remember a few incidents that showed that we were not on parallel tracks, and though the difference was initially small, eventually our paths would diverge to where I'm not sure that we'd even be considered friends.

When we were younger, HS's mom, somewhat dramatically, told a story that pretty much involved a child being disobedient by taking a broom away from its mother. Going for laughs, instead of respecting his mother's strong emotions at that moment, HS took a broom away from his mother, and got the laughs from his siblings. It wasn't something that I wouldn't have done, as you could see the pain at that moment that it was causing his mother.

When attending a extracurricular event at a local museum, HS had the temerity to tell a docent that the name "Gutenberg" could not be found in the encyclopedias. That day, HS was feeling ill, and when looking at an artsy-fartsy picture, told that docent that the picture made him nauseous, then subsequently hacked. Point made, I guess, with many fewer words than the docent tried to extract. HS definitely didn't play the game, or at times play nice, which was fine when it was them, but with us - his friends - too? That would come later.

When we were older, as guys sometimes are, we were interested in...what else...girls. We, of course, did whatever stupid thing came to mind as obviously this would impress the girls, making them warm up to us (note that this is either genetic or somehow it gets reinforced at an early age as it doesn't make much sense). I did my share - if not more - of stupid, but would draw the line at selling out my buddies. HS didn't see that line, and did not or would not stop no matter the damage he'd do if it led to his personal gain. It started getting that you began doubting HS, and I found myself apologizing for his behavior, as other mutual friends started to bail on him.

Somewhere in his head, filled with crazy thoughts to begin with, reality became more his own creation than something outside himself. There was always some scheme, some plan, some thing that would take him to the next level. For someone so bright what he said didn't make sense. I started not to trust whatever he said, and that was sad.

As the years passed we drifted further and further apart, still sharing those old bonds but leading different lives, and so finding less connections. We got together once many years ago. He spoke of grandiose things - the big car he was buying, the business he was starting - yet all of the evidence pointed to the fact that this all wasn't true. The issue that I saw as the problem as he felt - or could not do otherwise - that he had to lie to me, who only cared about sharing a few moments talking about the olds days. Who cared what car he drove?

He was deluding himself, and it was truly a shame.

I have no idea where HS is today, though people have had sightings - kind of like Elvis - and so he's probably still out there.

Completely unrelated - mostly - is another kind of Gollum to my Smeagol (or vice versa). I'd dated this, well, girl, back in the day, and she and I could not have been more opposite. Forget that stuff about opposites attract - okay, so obviously we did for a few dates, but the more we learned about each other, the more we realized that we were from different universes and it was only that hormonal hyping that kept us from initially repelling each other like magnets. You name the topic, we were diametrically opposed. Public vs parochial schools, shocker vs conformist, sensible vs flighty, planner vs slacker, rah-rah school spirit junkie vs apathetic cynic, etc.

We still chat now and again (about our kids, families - is that clear that we don't have kids together as we just went on a few puppy love dates?), and I think the whole affair funny - of course she doesn't and refuses to even remember any of it.
Old 11-26-2007, 04:07 PM   #7
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lindale has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alatar View Post

Completely unrelated - mostly - is another kind of Gollum to my Smeagol (or vice versa). I'd dated this, well, girl, back in the day, and she and I could not have been more opposite. Forget that stuff about opposites attract - okay, so obviously we did for a few dates, but the more we learned about each other, the more we realized that we were from different universes and it was only that hormonal hyping that kept us from initially repelling each other like magnets. You name the topic, we were diametrically opposed. Public vs parochial schools, shocker vs conformist, sensible vs flighty, planner vs slacker, rah-rah school spirit junkie vs apathetic cynic, etc.

We still chat now and again (about our kids, families - is that clear that we don't have kids together as we just went on a few puppy love dates?), and I think the whole affair funny - of course she doesn't and refuses to even remember any of it.
ooh, a nice story.

I had something similar too--he was my first boyfriend, we met in college when I was in first year and he in his third year (the funny thing was how Tolkieny-Elvish he seemed to me at first, maybe that's the subconscious in me that wants something Elvish! The way he walks and talks, his height--at least for our people--and the way he dresses in all black and his long black hair reminds me of a cross between Eol and Feanor-figures.) So I was forever his Gollum if he was Smeagol, and everything except our opinions on stuff was similar: the food, taste in music, etc. We went out for a year, and it was fun, generally, if we didn't address the fact that our minds were drifting apart at an alarming rate, until we decided it was too much and love wasn't enough to keep us. Ah well, it was a graceful exit on both our parts, so no hard feelings, even if it is only after few months after our graceful exits. We mail each other every now and then, and sometimes I call him on the cel if my PC gets a virus or something or if I don't understand some academic stuff.

Also, this funny thing. I stole his hairbrush last Christmas, saying, "Patrick my love it's Christmas, precious, give us your brush!!"

Legal Madness.
Lindale is offline   Reply With Quote