Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-13-2005, 09:05 AM   #561
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Alright, I've finally written a post.

Pio, I brought you back into the action. Hope you don't mind.

Arry...I used your character a bit. If you don't like what I had him say, or would like to re-write what he said, feel free to say so.

And about the Dwarves helping the elves...well, I figured that if they're going to be taking Celeborn and his elves all the way to Elrond, they'll want quite a number of Dwarves, in case of attack. Things are dangerous now. So I didn't have the Stonecuts be put in charge of it. If you think that's how it should be, tell me so. I wasn't sure.

-- Folwren
Old 10-13-2005, 09:30 PM   #562
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Folwren

Before I write a post - I'm not sure how it got to be evening time.

Riv originally came home very early in the morning; had the talk with Skald; left with Unna. Bror came in a little while later; Skald was in the midst of getting drunk; Bror and Skald had a talk. Then Viss comes in while the two younger brothers are joking about.

So, perhaps it's near noonish?

~*~ Pio
Old 10-14-2005, 08:45 AM   #563
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Ah, yes...time. I was confused on that matter, as you can probably tell. I was actually imagining it to be a very late night at the time being, because I know that Riv got back late. I wasn't patching things together quite right or else I should have realized that it was going to be morning sometime.

I don't think, however, that it's quite noon yet. Probably more mid-morning...around ten, at latest. Hows that sound?

Sorry about getting all messed up. It's entirely my fault. I'll edit my post.

-- Folwren
Old 10-14-2005, 12:37 PM   #564
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

1420!

Folwren

Thanks for the edit!

--------------------

Durelin

Once I have my SAVE filled in, everyone will be in position for the battle, won't they?

Shall we get that going soon?

I was hoping to have this game wrapped up by the end of October. Would that be a possibility?

~*~ Pio
Old 10-14-2005, 01:38 PM   #565
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pio
Once I have my SAVE filled in, everyone will be in position for the battle, won't they?

Shall we get that going soon?

I was hoping to have this game wrapped up by the end of October. Would that be a possibility?
As long as the Orcs are ready to start the battle, then we can start that as soon as possible. Getting this game finished by the end of October sounds good. My next post will be getting the battle started. Orcs - let me know if you need to make any more posts. I'll put a Save up before my post beginning the battle, if need be.

My post should be up by tomorrow, at the latest.

-Durelin
Old 10-14-2005, 01:43 PM   #566
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
So what is going to happen to the elves in Ost in Edhil ..... ? Bit confused is flight still and option or is it fighting only?

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Old 10-14-2005, 01:48 PM   #567
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
The citizens were told to evacuate...but too late. In a very fluid timeframe, Celebrimbor made his announcement, and now my next post will be early the next morning, even before dawn, when the army attacks. Most of the Elves that intended to flee have not had the chance to. So, they're trapped. If you post about your character fleeing during the day, then you may. Or you can have her be among those trapped. It's up to you, even though I don't yet have any specific plans for any evacuees.
Old 10-14-2005, 01:52 PM   #568
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durelin
The citizens were told to evacuate...but too late. In a very fluid timeframe, Celebrimbor made his announcement, and now my next post will be early the next morning, even before dawn, when the army attacks. Most of the Elves that intended to flee have not had the chance to. So, they're trapped. If you post about your character fleeing during the day, then you may. Or you can have her be among those trapped. It's up to you, even though I don't yet have any specific plans for any evacuees.
Trapped works better ... Okies.....

Old 10-14-2005, 03:17 PM   #569
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

This is depressing.
Old 10-14-2005, 03:23 PM   #570
CaptainofDespair
Shade of Carn Dûm

CaptainofDespair has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren
This is depressing.
Depressing things can be morbidly amusing.

On another note, I will have a post prepared soon enough, and then it will be...posted. I'll tie some things up that I wanted to (if they can be fit in coherently), and then I'll bring Angoroth and the Army up to speed on the commencement of the siege/battle.
Old 10-14-2005, 04:18 PM   #571
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Alcarillo

I'm afraid that during the writing of my post I came up with an idea for pulling your character into the story with Maegisil, through placing him as getting stuck with 'guard duty' outside Celebrimbor's chambers. Yes, Celebrimbor is going crazy. Of course, I can change this very easily, just thought it might be fun. Is that okay with you, or would you like me to change it?
Old 10-14-2005, 04:48 PM   #572
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
I've written up a post to be put into the general save.

~*~*~*~

Evening was nearing by the time Kharn almost literally shoved Grimkul and Ulwakh out of his tent. “Get out of my tent, you foul mountain vermin!” he snarled. Grimkul spared him a slight victorious smile, fury and the need for vengeance still gleaming in his yellow eyes. Kharn quailed under that look for a moment before swinging his whip at the two now-retreating forms.

Ulwakh led the way, threading his way quickly through the camp to put as much distance as possible between them and the captains, mostly Kharn. He wasted no time in cutting with a dagger the rope binding him to Grimkul, then the rope around Grimkul’s hands. Though Grimkul seemed hardly to mind, Ulwakh could not help but notice the way Grimkul’s bloodied legs hardly supported his weight, nearly giving out numerous times. Clearly, his fury still fueled him, but what about when that grew less hot? Battle loomed – Grimkul could hardly fight in such a condition.

Before too long, Ulwakh started looking around for a promising bit of space in the crowded camp. He dared not go too close to the periphery lest Grimkul get any more idiot ideas into his head. When he finally did find one, he sat down carefully, looking around as if worried about taking another Orc’s area. No one immediately disputed the claim and he relaxed somewhat. Grimkul removed his pack and dropped it carelessly on the ground before collapsing beside it, all the while saying not a word. Ulwakh sat uneasily, fearing for the outburst that he feared would surely come.

But it never did. The fading afternoon light faded into dusk, but still Grimkul sat unmoving, staring broodingly into space. Ulwakh grew hungry and tentatively dug into Grimkul’s pack for some dried meat, yet Grimkul still seemed not to notice. Occasionally his hand strayed to his sword hilt, or he might mouth some words Ulwakh couldn’t make out. The muscles in his face were taut, strained. Ulwakh finally tired and laid down to sleep, but Grimkul stared on into the night. The fire of hatred showed clearly in his eyes, not the fickle hatred for a meddlesome or irritating Orc, or for a fool of a commander, or for the Elves and Dwarves against whom he so fiercely fought, but hatred born of long taunting and torment – undying, burning hatred.

Ulwakh wished Grimkul would yell and rage.
Old 10-14-2005, 05:33 PM   #573
Alcarillo
Shadow of the Past

Alcarillo has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durelin
Alcarillo

I'm afraid that during the writing of my post I came up with an idea for pulling your character into the story with Maegisil, through placing him as getting stuck with 'guard duty' outside Celebrimbor's chambers. Yes, Celebrimbor is going crazy. Of course, I can change this very easily, just thought it might be fun. Is that okay with you, or would you like me to change it?
Um, could you change it? I just had a different scenario for Cainenyo before the battle in my head. Perhaps Maegisil and Cainenyo can meet when the fighting starts? Or perhaps during the battle Cainenyo runs into the palace - burning in places and badly hurt by those catapults - and finds Maegisil? Or something else, maybe? One finds the other wounded in the streets? Perhaps there are roving bands of warriors in the streets, chasing orcs and trying to escape the city, and Maegisil and Cainenyo happen to join together?
Old 10-14-2005, 05:46 PM   #574
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Firefoot - Posted.

Alcarillo - Edited.

Arestevana - (If you're still around) I now ask the same question I asked Alcarillo: may Gilduin have been recruited to guard crazy Celebrimbor's chambers, and perhaps hang with Maegisil a bit?
Old 10-14-2005, 10:19 PM   #575
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

1420!

Folwren, Arry

I filled my original save.

In the new one, I'll get us and Celeborn's warriors to Elrond's troops. Once we're there what does everyone want to do?

I think I'll have Riv hurry back to Khazad-dum. He'll be one of the Dwarves that comes out with King Durin and attacks Sauron's troops from the rear, giving elrond and his people time to gather up what refugees they can and head for the area that will become Rivendell.

Do either of you want to stay with Elrond's guys and fight on that front?

~*~ Pio
Old 10-15-2005, 11:32 AM   #576
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

1420!

OK - I've filled my second SAVE and gotten us to Lord Elrond's camp.

Riv's going back with some of the other Dwarves - he's left the question open for Skald and Bror about what they'll decide to do.
Old 10-15-2005, 11:44 AM   #577
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren
This is depressing.
You're depressed? I am about one post away from killing "my" family ... actually I can't wait

This part of the plot was never going to be cheering.....

Old 10-15-2005, 02:43 PM   #578
Envinyatar
Quill Revenant

Envinyatar has just left Hobbiton.
Alright - it has been mentioned that the Dwarves have been invited to join with the Elves for battle if they wish.

- E -
Old 10-15-2005, 04:44 PM   #579
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
Originally posted by Mithalwen:
You're depressed? I am about one post away from killing "my" family ... actually I can't wait

This part of the plot was never going to be cheering.....
No, I'm not depressed, but the story itself is depressing. I might be depressed after I read everybody's posts about terror and destruction, but I'm not sad yet.

----------------------------

Pio and Arry,

Speaking as a little brother - I'll stay if Skald does.

Actually, Arry, even though that's the case, I think we may be able to be in a lot of excitement if we keep our Dwarves with the elves and the fighting. So, I would like to stay. But I don't want to be there all by myself.

-- Folwren
Old 10-15-2005, 05:47 PM   #580
Arry
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arry has just left Hobbiton.
I'd like it if Skald stays to fight with Bror.

But, Folwren - can you write about how you want to stay first? Then Arry can have an angsty moment, torn between his little brother and his older.

-- Arry
Old 10-15-2005, 07:23 PM   #581
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
But, Folwren - can you write about how you want to stay first? Then Arry can have an angsty moment, torn between his little brother and his older. - Arry
Yeah, I can do that. Will have it up shortly...

EDIT: Okay, it's done. Clumsily handled, I'm afraid. I didn't know how to put all the emotions that were passing through his head into words. I wish I were a better writer. It was all very vivid in my mind, you know? Oh well. There you go, Arry. I'm looking forward to seeing your post.

-- Folwren

Last edited by Folwren; 10-15-2005 at 07:56 PM.
Old 10-16-2005, 03:12 PM   #582
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Quick note... my SAVE of 10/14 is filled in.

And excellent writing thus far, everyone!
Old 10-16-2005, 03:25 PM   #583
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Great post, Arry!

Envinyatar,

How long are the elves and dwarves going to sit in that one place? Are they staying there that night, or continuing on? How far is it until they come to the black army? They never reach it to the city, do they?

And, in time reference to the beginning of the siege against the city, where are we? Is it the evening before the beginning that Durelin and the Captain have written about? Or is it later that day? Or is it some other time?

If you don't know all these answers, perhaps Durelin or Pio will know.

-- Folwren
Old 10-16-2005, 08:58 PM   #584
Envinyatar
Quill Revenant

Once there is a post that the city is attacked - then we can post, say, one post . . . one vague-ish sort of post, of the now combined forces moving toward the city.

I've made it a nebulous X number of days that we are now from the Jewelsmiths.

We won't actually join the fight until the city is overrun by Sauron's army and and what refugees there are are fleeing.

I'm hoping that either CaptainofDespair or Durelin will let us know here on the Discussion thread that this has happened - then we'll launch our attack against Sauron's forces as they turn to destroy us.

At that point, Riv and Dwarven King and all should attack from the rear and draw off the atack against us.
Old 10-17-2005, 08:04 AM   #585
CaptainofDespair
Shade of Carn Dûm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envinyatar
I'm hoping that either CaptainofDespair or Durelin will let us know here on the Discussion thread that this has happened - then we'll launch our attack against Sauron's forces as they turn to destroy us.
Well, I've begun the first moments of the siege. This will, in a few days (to give all a chance to post reactions and such), lead to another post of mine, in which the city's core elements will be overrun.
Old 10-17-2005, 02:30 PM   #586
Envinyatar
Quill Revenant

Tolkien

Folwren

Lord Elrond has paid you a visit!

-----

I have shamelessly plundered this description of Elrond written by Tolkien. My apologies to the author. I just couldn't do much better than he.

Quote:
The face of Elrond was ageless, neither old nor young, though in it was written the memory of many things both glad and sorrowful. His hair was dark as the shadows of twilight, and upon it was set a circlet of silver; his eyes were grey as a clear evening, and in them was a light like the light of stars. Venerable he seemed as a king crowned with many winters, and yet hale as a tried warrior in the fulness of his strength. He was the Lord of Rivendell and mighty among both Elves and Men.

-- 'Many Meetings'; The Fellowship of the Ring
Old 10-18-2005, 07:55 AM   #587
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Goodness gracious. Thanks for letting Elrond be nice, Envinyatar.

As for you, Arry......what am I supposed to do now? Skald demands an explanation out of Bror, Bror's still shocked and possibly scared at being addressed by Elrond and then seeing his brother wake up hours too soon...what's he supposed to say?

'Uh...nothing, Skald...just go back to sleep.'

I'll have to think about this one.

-- Folwren
Old 10-18-2005, 03:37 PM   #588
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Silmaril

Nice posts there starting the seige - and the dwarves keeping up an admirable commentary by terms serious and silly, as ever. I am sorry I haven't made a post for a while, longer than I would have intended - I will join in the seige as soon as I can; homework has me snowed under at the moment. Thursday if I can! Sorry, and thanks for your patience
Old 10-19-2005, 09:05 PM   #589
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Hey, Firefoot, nice post as usual.

I've decided you have my permission to have Grimkul kill Kharn at some point... he really deserves his revenge. Just let me know when you're going to do it, maybe we could work out a fight...
Old 10-20-2005, 05:43 AM   #590
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Sure thing. I'm thinking we let it get into the heart of battle, like when they get to the point of actually invading the city. I'd imagine that would be a lot less ordered, as far as the army goes.
Old 10-21-2005, 03:06 AM   #591
Arry
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arry has just left Hobbiton.
I've filled my SAVE.

It will be interesting to see how Bror takes what Skald has said.

I implied in it that we would soon be facing the enemy - so Envinyatar, I guess we'll follow along when you make your post where Elrond's forces attempt to get close to Ost-in-edhil.

-- Arry
Old 10-21-2005, 09:46 AM   #592
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Well, I don't know that Bror's taken it particularly well. I've written my post. Hope it's to your satisfaction.

-- Folwren
Old 10-25-2005, 01:42 PM   #593
CaptainofDespair
Shade of Carn Dûm

Okey doke.

I've posted my post of rallying the troops for the charge, and the beginnings of the skirmish at the gates. Since Angoroth isn't directly part of that action, I've left it up to those character involved in it to detail it.

Soon (within a day or two, I hope), I'll also post an 'after the gate battle, and the city is overrun post'. That'll leave everyone else to flee, die, or continue the streetfighting. Angoroth will have some 'business' to attend to.
Old 10-25-2005, 05:33 PM   #594
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Hey, Alcarillo - you want to work out some kind of fight sequence? If you wanted to start something at the end of your post, I could finish it up (or not, depending...). I don't think either of us wants our characters killed yet, but they can always be separated by the tides of battle.

If so, both Grimkul and Ulwakh would be wielding their scimitars, though other weapons are always at the ready if the need so arises.
Old 10-25-2005, 05:49 PM   #595
Alcarillo
Shadow of the Past

Alcarillo has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefoot
Hey, Alcarillo - you want to work out some kind of fight sequence? If you wanted to start something at the end of your post, I could finish it up (or not, depending...). I don't think either of us wants our characters killed yet, but they can always be separated by the tides of battle.
Great idea! I'll fill in my save as soon as possible. And no, I'm not quite ready to let Cainenyo bite the dust. You wouldn't mind, though, if, say, Grimkul got a nasty cut down his arm? Or if Ulwakh got a bloody nose? You may do the same to Cainenyo if you wish.

Last edited by Alcarillo; 10-26-2005 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Garr . . . grammar.
Old 10-25-2005, 06:38 PM   #596
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Quote:
You wouldn't mind, though, if, say, Grimkul got a nasty cut down his arm? Or if Ulwakh got bloodied nose? You may do the same to Cainenyo if you wish.
Go right ahead.
Old 10-26-2005, 04:16 AM   #597
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
I am so very sorry that I have been so uninvolved in this. I've been quite ill recently and have just not had the energy to think up posts but that's no real excuse. I am even more sorry though that I'm going to miss the battle because it looks like it will be great! If anyone wants to kill off Ugburz they have free rein to do so in any way they like.
Old 10-27-2005, 08:45 PM   #598
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Whew. Erbar Telemarth is over at last, and I can put my energies back into this game!
Old 10-28-2005, 11:31 AM   #599
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Encaitare,

Angoroth has told me to keep an eye on your character.... Any chance of the two of us having a little encounter sometime before the end of this tale? Please pm or post on this thread.

CaptainofDespair....

The gate is just beginning to go. I leave the rest up to you with your greater talents and nastiness.

Child
Old 10-28-2005, 12:31 PM   #600
CaptainofDespair
Shade of Carn Dûm

Well done, Child!

I have a post ready, which I will be, of course, posting soon. I have to check up on a few things first, but then I will place it on the game thread.

I've decided to skip the actual destruction of the gate, and I've jumped it slightly ahead. Ulrung and the orcs, if they wish, can detail it if they must. I'll be sending Angoroth into the city, with a contingent of guards, where he'll he run into Maegisil. From there, well...you'll see.